These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

In-Game Events and Gatherings

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

-: racing :- gauging interest in revival of frigate racing

Author
Jill Xelitras
Xeltec services
#1 - 2013-03-16 13:15:32 UTC
AttentionHistory of eve racing

Ever since people could undock a ship, there was an interest to compete in various ways. That competitive spirit has lead to various forms of racing.

* if I missed you out, eve-mail me and I'll update this info. Same for errors in describing the events.

- Gyra Rho is credited to be the founder of ISRC, the Interstellar Racing Championship

This race would lead pilots through several systems, mostly low-sec. Secure cans had to be scanned down by the pilots. The bookmark in the container would provide info on the next system to fly to. While the events where not largely publicised (only a forum post in the Intergalactic Summit), 3rd parties would actively try to hunt down pilots.

- Julius Rigel, is credited to be the founder of "frigate race"

For this race, a track was build, using secure cans. The first years, pilots had to fly around the cans marking a corner. All pilots would fly at the same time. Trackmarshalls would supervise the track and deal penalty points to pilots cutting the corners.

The last incarnation of frigate racing saw the difficulty ramped up: the secure cans would form gates, which the pilots had to pass through. Thus it was much harder to stay on track. Also the pilots would compete on a 1 vs 1 level in a bracket system, opposing the winners of the last bracket.

- various corporations have had racing as corporate events.

A common idea was to place items in secure containers. The pilots would fly or warp to those containers, spread out on the same grid. Pilots had to retrieve one item per can to proove that they had passed every checkpoint.

- EVE RADIO have organized "Lemming runs"

Lemming runs could be seen as a subcategory of racing. Many pilots start in predefined ships in a high-sec system. The goal is to survive flying through dangerous systems along a path set by the DJ.

Attentiongauging interest in revival of racing

Seeing as racing has always been a relatively small, but extremely fun thing in eve, we'd like to revive it. The idea is to create a sort of FIA (Federation Internationale de l'Automobile), which in turn helps smaller organisations to put up particular racing events with each having their own rule sets (Think Formula 1, Formula 3000, Rally ...)

Attentionplaces to go, to stay informed

- website (not done yet)
- in-game channel (not done yet)

Don't anger the forum gods.

ISD Buldath:

> I Saw, I came, I Frowned, I locked, I posted, and I left.

Jill Xelitras
Xeltec services
#2 - 2013-03-16 13:16:24 UTC
Reserved for later.

Don't anger the forum gods.

ISD Buldath:

> I Saw, I came, I Frowned, I locked, I posted, and I left.

Che Biko
Alexylva Paradox
#3 - 2013-03-18 00:03:32 UTC
I do think that having an umbrella organization, or at least some form of cooperation between racing organizations, would be benificial.

I'm still interested in racing.

-Ché Biko
Captain of racing team 10-segrity
Julius Rigel
#4 - 2013-04-23 00:35:49 UTC
Jill Xelitras wrote:
The idea is to create a sort of FIA (Federation Internationale de l'Automobile), which in turn helps smaller organisations to put up particular racing events with each having their own rule sets

That's a very interesting idea. But considering the very small niche community, are there enough resources to warrant an administrative body that does nothing but manage other organisations?

Are the limited resources available within the racing community not better spent directly into creating events?
DJ Markus Ditori
Eve Radio Corporation
#5 - 2013-04-23 08:03:56 UTC
Hmmmmm.. im interested. AS a Eve Radio DJ, very interested....
Taz'r Nakan
Alt Ops
#6 - 2013-04-23 10:15:55 UTC
This sounds like it could be fun.
not much skills in scanning but, the track thing sounds awesome, also the lemming run would be hilarious. :D

Taz'r Nakan
Julius Rigel
#7 - 2013-04-23 12:10:30 UTC
Taz'r Nakan wrote:
This sounds like it could be fun.
Without tooting my own horn too much (I mean, it's at least as much Che Biko and Jill Xelitras's amazing efforts), we've been doing this on-and-off for years, and yes, it is incredibly fun to manually fly frigates. Despite the wonky interface, with inputs queued to the tick of the client and so on, it's very exciting and rewarding to get around the track with other ships zipping and zooming all around you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZu3ycV_PzA

I just got back from a longer hiatus, but I'm already working on planning the next event.

DJ Markus Ditori wrote:
Hmmmmm.. im interested.
Well, we are looking to employ some casters / commentators to cover the events during broadcasts, so if that tickles your fancy, or you know someone else that might be so inclined, send me a note in-game.
Erik Finnegan
Polytechnique Gallenteenne
#8 - 2013-04-23 20:20:35 UTC
Sub-warp racing was the most enjoyable out-of-corp activity I have experienced in my capsuleer carreer. P No, honestly ! I have never been good with guns. And the "Air show" day which SRV organized was just so much fun.