These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

Removing local???

Author
Jint Hikaru
OffWorld Exploration Inc
#21 - 2013-04-10 11:55:55 UTC
Fitzhugh wrote:

Local makes sense from an RP / Game style standpoint... Every ship every where enters a system via a gate... that gate logs their entrance and maintains their presence until the gates in the system logs them leaving. Simple. (And yes I know WH has no local... but you didn't get there throw a gate either) Maybe I ca see an argument made for WH Raiders not being put on local until they get near a system resource like a POCO, Station or Gate.

What about leaving a system via a Wormhole..... the 'system' has know way of knowing you left, so why don't you stay up in local?

I agree with you about zero local would not benefit the game. People already don't talk that much to each other and it would really be an uninviting place for noobs.

What I would like to see is a WH style delayed local or a removal of local for cloaked vessels.

If you activate cloak, you drop off local.
But to balance, you loose access to local, so while cloaked you cant use it for intel.

This would end AFK cloakers, because without showing up on local, they cant scare the nullbears into hiding in stations.

To gather intel, cloakers would have to work more, fly around, risk dropping probes, have the foresight to setup bookmarks etc.

Local residents would have to be more attuned to what's going on around them, pay attention more, fly with support, leave bubbles on the warpins of their grid (is this possible??? just a thought) - not a unacceptable proposal for what's supposed to be Zero Security Space.

Cloaker dropping a cyno seems to be a concern so why not tie it in to the targeting delay that cloaks force on ships??? (I leave this idea to people with more experience of these than me)

Jint Hikaru - Miner / Salvager / Explorer / SpaceBum In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Onomerous
Caldari Black Hand
Caldari Tactical Operations Command
#22 - 2013-04-10 12:44:22 UTC
Lots of great solutions!!

For a problem which doesn't exist.
Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#23 - 2013-04-10 13:04:01 UTC
Jint Hikaru wrote:
[quote=Dracvlad]And finally, where in the universe am I "some one linked to Chribba..." ?????

I would just like to state here and now that I am in no way linked to Chribba. I would really be interested to hear why or how you came to that conclusion.

Yeah I'm a bit unsure about that one too, but maybe he mixed up the corp names?

/c

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

Jint Hikaru
OffWorld Exploration Inc
#24 - 2013-04-10 13:17:22 UTC
Chribba wrote:
Jint Hikaru wrote:
[quote=Dracvlad]And finally, where in the universe am I "some one linked to Chribba..." ?????

I would just like to state here and now that I am in no way linked to Chribba. I would really be interested to hear why or how you came to that conclusion.

Yeah I'm a bit unsure about that one too, but maybe he mixed up the corp names?

/c

Ahhh, yeah that's probably it. That and we appear to visit the same tailor for our jackets.

Jint Hikaru - Miner / Salvager / Explorer / SpaceBum In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#25 - 2013-04-10 13:44:49 UTC
Jint Hikaru wrote:
Dracvlad wrote:

So I am a bot now, I would have expected something better from some one linked to Chribba...

This statement "Granted it would benefit active cloakers, but as we have seen with wormholes, it just takes some intelligence and sensible strategy to make sure you are protected when going about your business." please explain just how you would do that, ending with the required strategies to protect against a full on PL hot drop, hmmmm taking WH's as an example you do know that while cyno's can be lit in WH space they don't actually allow anything to jump through them, so using WH space as an example just does not work.

Um? I never mentioned hotdrops, that is a completely different discussion. If you have a problem with cloakers lighting cynos then start a new thread requesting a cyno delay on leaving cloak or something.

I also never said you were a Bot... But I am sure you can see whey bot users would be vocal about a suggestion that removes cloaked vessels from local.

And finally, where in the universe am I "some one linked to Chribba..." ?????

Of course you didn't mention hot drops when using WH's to talk about local, how can you use WH space as an example when the major way of projecting force in 0.0 does not even exist there, and you are telling me in that statement that you can use intelligence and strategies gleaned from WH space, really? Using WH space to compare to 0.0 is irrelevent because of that!

Bots are getting removed from the game by CCP, it is not relevent, secondly the use of bot to describe someone who opposes the removal of local is to make people look down on their argument, I am not and have never botted and despise those that do.

The name of your corp is similar, sorry!

When the going gets tough the Gankers get their CSM rep to change mechanics in their favour.

Blocked: Teckos Pech, Sonya Corvinus, baltec1, Shae Tadaruwa, Wander Prian, Daichi Yamato, Jonah Gravenstein, Merin Ryskin, Linus Gorp

Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#26 - 2013-04-10 13:49:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Dracvlad
Jint Hikaru wrote:
Fitzhugh wrote:

Local makes sense from an RP / Game style standpoint... Every ship every where enters a system via a gate... that gate logs their entrance and maintains their presence until the gates in the system logs them leaving. Simple. (And yes I know WH has no local... but you didn't get there throw a gate either) Maybe I ca see an argument made for WH Raiders not being put on local until they get near a system resource like a POCO, Station or Gate.

What about leaving a system via a Wormhole..... the 'system' has know way of knowing you left, so why don't you stay up in local?

I agree with you about zero local would not benefit the game. People already don't talk that much to each other and it would really be an uninviting place for noobs.

What I would like to see is a WH style delayed local or a removal of local for cloaked vessels.

If you activate cloak, you drop off local.
But to balance, you loose access to local, so while cloaked you cant use it for intel.

This would end AFK cloakers, because without showing up on local, they cant scare the nullbears into hiding in stations.

To gather intel, cloakers would have to work more, fly around, risk dropping probes, have the foresight to setup bookmarks etc.

Local residents would have to be more attuned to what's going on around them, pay attention more, fly with support, leave bubbles on the warpins of their grid (is this possible??? just a thought) - not a unacceptable proposal for what's supposed to be Zero Security Space.

Cloaker dropping a cyno seems to be a concern so why not tie it in to the targeting delay that cloaks force on ships??? (I leave this idea to people with more experience of these than me)

I have to say its not so much the issue of the guy uncloaking and attacking you, the major issue is the projection of force through cyno's, you have some interesting ideas here, but the current system is balanced, because ratters still get caught, people can see risk and adjust their tactics and strategies. When we had cloakies in system in CE I went into cheap ships and belt ratted when they had the force to do something, when they did not I used my carrier but fitted for triage and cyno. But the people who whine have often made the mistake of renting a system to break into 0.0 and then find they cannot use it, they made an error of judgement in going all in, and there is no reason to remove local because of whining about AFK cloakers, in fact there is no reason to change cloaking either.

When the going gets tough the Gankers get their CSM rep to change mechanics in their favour.

Blocked: Teckos Pech, Sonya Corvinus, baltec1, Shae Tadaruwa, Wander Prian, Daichi Yamato, Jonah Gravenstein, Merin Ryskin, Linus Gorp

DataRunner Attor
Doomheim
#27 - 2013-04-10 14:22:59 UTC
Here the thing, the current system is balance. CCP doesn't want to touch the current system cause it SO BALANCED that they will have to edit a rather....Well simple put, they will have to change and edit a crap ton of things,

You can't nerf cloak without nerfing local.
you can't nerf local without nerfing cloak
You can't nerf local without making new intel tools
you can't make new intel tools without nerfing local

It so balance, that it will require quite a bit of work if something is to happen to local or cloak, or the other intel tools, so it created quite a problem, and the problem is what some call the bandage bridge

currently we have all these mechanics as bandaids over the problem, local was made...Then was cloak to balance, then cyno to bypass, then super caps became dedicated on cynos because they could no longer use super gates, caps were all kicked out to low and null sec.

Do you see where I'm going? We can't make a change due to one simple problem, if you change one thing, then in turn you must change all host of other things that depend on each other.

Things involving local are balance, which is the problem we run into, when people wish to make a change to cloak, or local, they fail to make a change to the other side. This cause a unbalance in the scale. Things are balance, but people don't like the current balance, but people being people, are only willing to change the balance in a way that most favor them.

“Point out to me a person who has been harmed by an AFK cloaker and I will point out a person who has no business playing this game.”

Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#28 - 2013-04-10 15:00:27 UTC
DataRunner Attor wrote:
Here the thing, the current system is balance. CCP doesn't want to touch the current system cause it SO BALANCED that they will have to edit a rather....Well simple put, they will have to change and edit a crap ton of things,

It so balance, that it will require quite a bit of work if something is to happen to local or cloak, or the other intel tools, so it created quite a problem, and the problem is what some call the bandage bridge

currently we have all these mechanics as bandaids over the problem, local was made...Then was cloak to balance, then cyno to bypass, then super caps became dedicated on cynos because they could no longer use super gates, caps were all kicked out to low and null sec.

Do you see where I'm going? We can't make a change due to one simple problem, if you change one thing, then in turn you must change all host of other things that depend on each other.

Things involving local are balance, which is the problem we run into, when people wish to make a change to cloak, or local, they fail to make a change to the other side. This cause a unbalance in the scale. Things are balance, but people don't like the current balance, but people being people, are only willing to change the balance in a way that most favor them.

Well said, I tried to show people that it would become too tilted towards easy kills with removing local and leaving those other intel tools in. Could I operate without local, of course I could, but leave those tools in and the only place I could hide in would be HS as I could hide within the multitude of other fish, I hoped that people would see the possibilities of having to actually locate their prey, but they are too focussed on what favours them, and locating their prey in system is too easy, warp to belts, warp to CA's in a covert ops cloaked ship, bang done. I have operated with reds in system and only died twice, once when I was scrambled by a rat and could not warp away and another time when my CEO was leading the ratting and warped to the same spot in a belt and a sabre decloaked, though that was my first kill!!!

Take the idea mentioned here by Jint of a delay on cyno linked to the de-cloak timer, that would work, you have a chance to get away, most people if they have a chance would go for it, but if you have no chance, why bother.

Jacid
The Upside Down
#29 - 2013-04-10 15:19:52 UTC
DataRunner Attor wrote:

This pretty much sums it up.. the issue here though is that a balance between local and cloaking as it stands now isn't fun because if local is around you will always have afk cloaky ships. Cynos and force projection i don't see as a related issue, 10 guys jumping from gate to anom will kill a faction bs just as easily as 30 guys from a cyno. Now the question of IF 30 guys should be able to be moved from 5ly away directly into battle is another question entirely and the content of another thread. I personally would like to live in a null sec without local it would make things more exciting easier to bait opposing fleets.. my only concern is that fleets might have to move slower just to sort out all the space junk that may or may not be a pilot or a posed up empty ship.

My 2 Cents
El Geo
Warcrows
The Ascendants
#30 - 2013-04-10 15:47:47 UTC
how about making local part of infrastructure costs out in sov space, let the local alliance owners decide if they want to pay for local or not
Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#31 - 2013-04-10 15:50:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Dracvlad
Jacid wrote:
DataRunner Attor wrote:

This pretty much sums it up.. the issue here though is that a balance between local and cloaking as it stands now isn't fun because if local is around you will always have afk cloaky ships. Cynos and force projection i don't see as a related issue, 10 guys jumping from gate to anom will kill a faction bs just as easily as 30 guys from a cyno. Now the question of IF 30 guys should be able to be moved from 5ly away directly into battle is another question entirely and the content of another thread. I personally would like to live in a null sec without local it would make things more exciting easier to bait opposing fleets.. my only concern is that fleets might have to move slower just to sort out all the space junk that may or may not be a pilot or a posed up empty ship.

My 2 Cents

I find it surprising that when people talk about AFK cloakies they ignore the issue of cyno's and force projection, in my experience, the biggest concern was not what they had in system, but what they could cyno in, I am sure there are others here who have been AFK camped and could put this chap straight!

EDIT: Though if it was this guy http://www.eve-razor.com/killboard/?a=pilot_detail&plt_ext_id=182560649 I might reconsider!!!

El Geo
Warcrows
The Ascendants
#32 - 2013-04-10 15:56:44 UTC
Dracvlad wrote:
Jacid wrote:
DataRunner Attor wrote:

My 2 Cents

I find it surprising that when people talk about AFK cloakies they ignore the issue of cyno's and force projection, in my experience, the biggest concern was not what they had in system, but what they could cyno in, I am sure there are others here who have been AFK camped and could put this chap straight!

I've never been camped by someone who was afk What?
Dracvlad
Taishi Combine
Astral Alliance
#33 - 2013-04-10 16:12:27 UTC
El Geo wrote:
Dracvlad wrote:
Jacid wrote:
...This pretty much sums it up.. the issue here though is that a balance between local and cloaking as it stands now isn't fun because if local is around you will always have afk cloaky ships. Cynos and force projection i don't see as a related issue....

My 2 Cents

You are a High Sec Merc, so if someone was AFK camping you it would be as effective as lighting a cyno in a WH!!!

El Geo
Warcrows
The Ascendants
#34 - 2013-04-10 22:58:19 UTC
Dracvlad wrote:
El Geo wrote:
Dracvlad wrote:
Jacid wrote:
...This pretty much sums it up.. the issue here though is that a balance between local and cloaking as it stands now isn't fun because if local is around you will always have afk cloaky ships. Cynos and force projection i don't see as a related issue....

My 2 Cents

You are a High Sec Merc, so if someone was AFK camping you it would be as effective as lighting a cyno in a WH!!!

please tell me how ive spent all my time in highsec, seeing as you know me soooo well
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#35 - 2013-04-10 23:37:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Teckos Pech
Fitzhugh wrote:
Ok I was looking at the afk cloaking issue and I discover this being the most talked about solution.

I have to ask... how does this fix the broken mechanic? What possible purpose would removing local serve but to make life EASIER for griefers and afk cloaky pilots.

Without local you wont see the AFK cloaker. The psychological warfare aspect of AFK cloaking, which is the primary reason for AFK cloaking, will be eliminated.

Of course, it is too strong a solution IMO. In the end people would not carebear in null. And almost every null pilot carebears to some extent (you need isk to PVP).

Of course, wormholes have a delayed local which is almost the same thing. However wormholes don't have gates. And you can't look on the in game map or Dotlan and see how many pilots are in a worm hole or how many rats have been killed. In null you can and people will use that to go find ratters to kill.

So in the end there wont be much carebearing in null, and probably not much PVP either.

Now having a cloaked pilot removed from local when the cloak is activated along with a nerf to cloaks, e.g. a timer or something along those lines would accomplish much of what removing local would in regards to AFK cloaking. Even if the timer is for an hour, if I activate my cloak and go afk I get nothing...no kills, no resource denial, no intel, nothing. The locals can happily carebear away while I'm AFK.

And since cloaked pilots would be visible when jumping in and out of a system those engaged in carebear activities would have some warning. Intel channels could still be used. Both sides give up something and both sides get something. The active cloaking pilot has a better chance of finding people who aren't paying attention not checking intel channels, not using alliance chat, etc. Those who want or need to spend time carebearing wont have to worry about some doofus sitting in their preferred system while off watching netflix.

Quote:

You could, but it would have to be active intel. That is you sit cloaked a ways off the gate and report what is coming through. Or you use Dscan to report intel. And this shouldn't be a problem because a pilot who is cloaked and AFK gathers no intel either. Some ability to gather intel for the cloaked pilot should be retained.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Ihazcheez Hashur
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#36 - 2013-04-22 13:05:54 UTC
Just a copy / paste from another post in the wrong forum.. from me- one thing I have suggested a couple of times is allow player intervention of the transmission of signatures from gates.
In a similar fashion that folks 'bubble' gates in NULL; I have always proposed a similar, passive bubble mechanism that effectively cuts the gate off from the 'communication web', but allowed in low as well, concord will frown heavily if used in high sec.

In a hypothetical example, you'd have either a dedicated ship module like a HIC bubble, or some kind of mobile poo as with the mobile warp bubble or interdiction sphere etc... In any case the sole purpose of this, instead of disrupt warp, is to passively prevent the gate transmitting signatures to 'local' as pilots enter and blip on to the system through that gate.. So in plain effect, new pilot enters system, gate unable to update their computer of pilots in system, and they see empty region of space. Gate also unable to communicate new entity to system as well, so folks already in system do not see new players in local entering and within the bubble.. If pilots are so inclined they can shoot them out, but, it could add a very interesting mechanic to low / null if you wanted to cloak a fleet from local from new visitors, or cloak a fleet from existing occupants... Pirates would certainly love it in lower sec areas I am sure.

I can imagine sending a lone vessel in system to scout, and finding a delicious fleet of miners or some kind of ratter taking advantage of an 'empty system'. We could "signature bubble" the gate, making that gank squad invisible to local, and indulging in all those tears. The victim could and would see the 'scout' appear in local, but also nothing stopping the scout dropping a sig bubble poo, exiting, and coming back thus hiding his 'local presence' whilst the local ratter thinks the guy just left. He'll be surprised to be dropped by a gank squad.

Pirates would love such a thing. It just feels too much like low sec / null sec players are like flocks of birds pecking bread crumbs off a lawn.. one sees the slightest movement, something somewhere makes an unusual twitch, and the whole body of birds in mass exodus take to the skies, vanish to the safety of trees etc, only to be content to wait there for hours until whatever spooked them has gone; or another bird takes a leap of faith and goes back to pecking the ground..

Ohh how delicious would it be for a "cloaked cat" to grab an unaware birdy feeding amongst a flock. Oh the mayhem, oh the chaos, how delicious.

Twisted
Jureth22
State War Academy
Caldari State
#37 - 2013-04-22 13:20:03 UTC
Steel Roamer wrote:
Hey look. This thread again.

I'll give you the answer you don't want to hear.

Removing local would make cloaky tacklers more effective. So they don't need to AFK to make you forget they exists, because you won't even know in the first place.

Plus, people like you won't be able to whine about AFK cloakers if you don't know they are there in the first place.

It's hilarious how Null sec pilots talk about how tough the life is, but want more PvP nerfs than any high-sec miner.

but it will also kill bot ratting :D
DataRunner Attor
Doomheim
#38 - 2013-04-22 14:35:25 UTC
Here a thing about certain things about removing local... Not only did I made a post earlier about all the balancing that needs to take place before you can even think about changing local and cloaking.

But here a perspective for you, local is use both by the hunter and the hunted. Local not only tells those PVE nullbears that someone just dropped into their system, but the local also tells the PVP nullbear that there is someone in that system and they should start searching.

I know a few people who say. "ooooohhhh! But I can use maps, and Dotlan." That's the trick, dotlan, and maps doesn't update instantly it delayed, so if they are a ratter, you can take precaution and after killing some many rats, you relocate to a different system and kill rats there, and so on. The same can be said with miners, you will most likely see people conserving asteroids less, eat away at them until they pop before relocating.

In my opinion though cloak will never change, and local will never change. You know why? "To much work, and not enough people that can agree on just one thing." Everyone has their own idea how it should be fixxed, and no one can agree, if someone comes up a nerf local, all the carebears, nullbears, and bot owners come out of the wood work to chomp down and say NO. If someone comes up with a nerf cloak, all the Cloakers, bitter vets and wormholers come out of the wood work to chomp down and say NO. The community is divided, and until someone comes up with something that EVERYONE agrees with, then a change will never happen.

“Point out to me a person who has been harmed by an AFK cloaker and I will point out a person who has no business playing this game.”

Gizznitt Malikite
Agony Unleashed
Agony Empire
#39 - 2013-04-22 18:56:22 UTC

Wow....

Here's the deal with local: It provides infallible information on EVERYONE in system. This is extremely powerful, as it allows you to quickly identify how many hostiles are around.

To the PvPers, it allows you to assess a system, and determine if there are targets to engage. This is important for both consensual and non-consensual PvP, and in many ways, determines if you WILL CONSENT to PvP. I've taken many fleets to "busy systems" just to flash my ******* about and ideally poke the eyes out of anyone coming to look. Try getting a quality fight against your 20ish man cruiser/bc gang if you don't have local!

To the Carebears (people simply avoiding ship-to-ship combat), it allows them to assess how risky their system is, and take steps to avoid being caught (cause they won't survive if they are!).

Local is pretty much essential for determining the level of risk to your system, which is both a wonderful thing, and a terrible thing.

It's wonderful, because the most tedious part of PvP is finding targets to shoot. A tool that enables you to efficiently find fights is an excellent thing for the game.

However, it's terrible because EvE's player base has become more, and more, and more risk adverse as the game's progressed. We continue to see posts like:
  • Oh no, I can't rat in nullsec because there is an afk cloaker in system, and ratting in cheaper ships, or in a group is terribly inefficient compared to using my carrier / faction fit Vargur/Macharial/Nightmare/Tengu/...
  • Oh no, my barge was suicide ganked even though it had no tank... give me a buff, nerf ganking.
  • Oh no, my mission ship was suicide ganked, even though it had 10b in faction mods on it... it's not fair...
  • Oh no, I can't PvP in a 5 man HAC gang without 4 logi's to support it.

• People refuse to rat because of an AFK cloaker in system! People refuse to engage a target unless they have such overwhelming force that they not only win the fight, but take little in losses! This mentality is what's destroying the game, and it's ever-present in nullsec, lowsec, and highsec! Losses are, and have always been, a major part of playing EvE, yet the current player base seems to view losses as unacceptable. Rather than playing to minimize the impact of their losses, players seek to all together prevent losses. This is straight up wrong, and a ****-poor mentality for this game. Everyone, be they in highsec or nullsec, should operate under the assumption that some day, any ship they undock in will be destroyed.

Back to the "remove local" topic: Most people think about removing local in a rather short sighted sense: How will this help me? If it's gone, I can use a cloaky to catch more ratters. Or if it's gone, I'll fall victim to more roamers! And they judge it solely on these merits.

The intel system (which primarily consists of Local), needs to be judged on a game-wide merit basis. What this game needs, is for people to ACCEPT LOSSES as an everyday thing, rather than simply AVOID LOSSES. The risk/rewards need to be balanced, with this in mind. WH works without local, but for two reasons: a.) The rewards of W-space are high enough that it's profitable to live there even with the additional losses "delayed local" provides. b.) System accessibility is very limited.

While I support revamping the intel system (be it a 20 seconds delay before ships appear in "local chat" when in k-space, to a complete revamp of the intel system), the rewards need to be balanced in a manner with ship losses being an expected modis operandi. And I don't care where you live, this "notion" should be hammered into every EvE player (ideally by the sounds of blasters, autocannons, rockets, and lasers!!)!!!
    Seranova Farreach
    Biomass Negative
    #40 - 2013-04-22 19:39:23 UTC
    Simple answer.

Do NOT remove local, just CHANGE it to work like Worm hole space, you only show on it if you speak, youd still be vunerable to dscan and probes so whats the problem?

could also have a knock on effect of more random pvp action going on

[u]___________________ http://i.imgur.com/d9Ee2ik.jpg[/u]

Previous page123Next page