These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Warfare & Tactics

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

The mistake of Enaluri

Author
Cromwell Savage
The Screaming Seagulls
#21 - 2013-04-18 13:41:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Cromwell Savage
I personally do not see this as a mistake - at all.

If it wasn't the Gal's taking a main Caldari system, it would have eventually been the Caldari taking a major Gal system.

We - Gallente - already "went through this" when we took all Caldari systems under this sov+dock mechanic. However, the squids seemed to rebound just fine.

As Juan already stated - FW goes in cycles. I've been in FW for 4 years now.....it really has not changed much in all that time. Still the exact same crap being flung back-n-forth and the exact same cyclic behavior of one side rising, while the other regroups.
Val Erian
Azure Horizon Federate Militia
#22 - 2013-04-18 14:33:40 UTC
Quote:
What i can say is they were relentless in the deplexing and offensive plexing in and around Nennamalia. This in tern generated fights, escalations from Frigs to Cruisers. What more could a Pvper, FC any one want?
- Glitch

So, what you saw is what FW could be if people actualy engaged in Sov war more often, instead of 'I'll lead a frig roam to to Aeschee"

now you can go back to roaming around or try and replicate same situation somewhere else.

Julius Foederatus
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#23 - 2013-04-18 15:21:33 UTC
I see this sentiment pop up in FW folks a lot, and I don't really understand it. I mean, video games in general, and FW in particular are about challenges. Multiplayer games are about the challenge of competition with other people. We compete to see who can be the best, the fastest, the most clever, within a certain framework of rules.

Competition is not just about bragging rights, it's about challenging yourself as a person, to see if you can be smarter, or faster, or sometimes just luckier than the other person you're playing against. We do it to develop our own skills and our own character. When it stops being challenging, we stop developing. If your opponent doesn't play his hardest, or you don't go into the contest with all of your wits and skill, how can either one of you truly improve yourselves?

If we just treat the squiddies like practice dummies, that's not showing respect to either them or ourselves. We're not improving because we're not playing to the best of our abilities, we're not challenging ourselves to be better. Likewise the squiddies aren't improving (or improving at least as much as they could be) because we're not treating them like opponents, we're treating them like pets.

FW is a contest, and a good contest is supposed to test all participants. The only way we all get better as players is to bring our 'A' game as much as we can. It helps everyone be better by challenging them in new ways, and making us overcome tougher and tougher obstacles. Playing to win now means the squids that are left will be leaner, meaner, and more cunning than before, and then we'll eventually get truly 'GFs' because both opponents will be trying to truly beat the other.
Deacon Abox
Black Eagle5
#24 - 2013-04-18 15:22:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Deacon Abox
X Gallentius wrote:
We can learn much from recent quotes by legendary FW figures.

"They didn't show us any mercy in Eha, and we showed none in Enaluri" - Val Erian, Luminaire General

In this first quote, Luminaire General Val Erian notes that the Caldari militia had no problems with trying to overrun the western half of the FW map. The Caldari at their highest point tried to kick CLONE out of Esesier, JUSTK and friends out of Eha, and GMVA out of Nennamaila. Why would they do this if all they wanted was good fights? This is a war (game), and the people in FW are here because there are real (in game) consequences to their actions. If people in FW want no consequences, then I suggest they go play RvB.

"Real men live at Moon 19" - Corbolia Palmezine, President of the Federal Defense Union.

In this quote, Corolia Palmezine shows us that there are still plenty of fights from strong corporations living in the heart of Gallente space. Heydlieles is full of WTs and pirates. And if any EUTZ Gallente FC is complaining about any lack of good fights, he now knows where to move to get them.

(edit: author of second quote updated)

This.

The OP is moaning over nothing. For months I was someone in US TZ that had to dplex in Nenna while you constantly sought to "have fun", risking us all having to move our **** out of Nenna if the percentage had gone too high. I occasionally would log on during the day and see EU people just sitting in the station while the system was being offensive plexed. There were your good fights right there for the taking with no need to "roam" 20 jumps. You would wait for early US TZ people to log on and take out a roam to some totally stupid place like Tama or Suj to fight pirates that weren't imperiling us in any way.

I then moved to JUSTK and Vlill and had loads of content because the attitude was so much better. Defensive formups and actually sitting in the plexes waiting for the other side to try to take it from us. Battles both outnumbered and outnumbering, Evoke in Eha. That was plenty of pvp and contest of plexing. This for better or worse CCP has designed the current mechanics of FW around. And the EU guys were great as I experienced first hand when occasionally I could log on and play during EU prime. They would ninja, they would scrape and claw, divert attention through offensive plexing another system, whatever they had to do to keep Eha. And when the hour or so of US slowly building numbers came there would be good fights with Evoke in Eha.

Squids tried to take Nenna. People resisted and plexed Enaluri to give them something else to also think about. The minnis came and tilted the balance. So what. It could have just as easily been another evoke or gorgon empire or some other entity that might have tilted what balance there was the other way. That is what the game is about. Nothing sad about it. Nothing to regret.

If you want fights make your corp move **** to another station and get the fights in their new homes since they have left Enaluri. Neither side has to play game park overseer as well as contestant in this. The ecology will take care of itself. People play this game for different reasons. But, speaking as one who focuses on securing a home, don't go crying, if folks who kept your roaming **** safe and relieved you of the necessity to pack and move the mounds of that **** you undoubtedly have in Nenna, did a very good job.

CCP, there are off buttons for ship explosions, missile effects, turret effects, etc. "Immersion" does not seem to be harmed by those. So, [u]please[/u] give us a persisting off button for the jump gate and autoscan visuals.

JAF Anders
Jerkasaurus Wrecks Inc.
Sedition.
#25 - 2013-04-18 15:42:28 UTC
Julius Foederatus wrote:
The only way we all get better as players is to bring our 'A' game as much as we can. It helps everyone be better by challenging them in new ways, and making us overcome tougher and tougher obstacles. Playing to win now means the squids that are left will be leaner, meaner, and more cunning than before, and then we'll eventually get truly 'GFs' because both opponents will be trying to truly beat the other.

I can't agree with this enough. The Rakapas campaign earlier this year was by far the most engaging opportunity in which I've had the pleasure of participating. QCATS supported the DnD-led 'round-the-clock offensive plexing of an enemy home system, fighting in doctrine ships, led by dedicated, quality FCs, reshipping out of starbases and carriers. Actually taking the system was a necessary yet lamentable ending to our endeavor.

The pursuit of excellence and stabbed plexing alts.

Deen Wispa
Sheriff.
Caldari Tactical Operations Command
#26 - 2013-04-18 15:45:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Deen Wispa
Julius Foederatus wrote:
I see this sentiment pop up in FW folks a lot, and I don't really understand it. I mean, video games in general, and FW in particular are about challenges. Multiplayer games are about the challenge of competition with other people. We compete to see who can be the best, the fastest, the most clever, within a certain framework of rules.

Competition is not just about bragging rights, it's about challenging yourself as a person, to see if you can be smarter, or faster, or sometimes just luckier than the other person you're playing against. We do it to develop our own skills and our own character. When it stops being challenging, we stop developing. If your opponent doesn't play his hardest, or you don't go into the contest with all of your wits and skill, how can either one of you truly improve yourselves?

If we just treat the squiddies like practice dummies, that's not showing respect to either them or ourselves. We're not improving because we're not playing to the best of our abilities, we're not challenging ourselves to be better. Likewise the squiddies aren't improving (or improving at least as much as they could be) because we're not treating them like opponents, we're treating them like pets.

FW is a contest, and a good contest is supposed to test all participants. The only way we all get better as players is to bring our 'A' game as much as we can. It helps everyone be better by challenging them in new ways, and making us overcome tougher and tougher obstacles. Playing to win now means the squids that are left will be leaner, meaner, and more cunning than before, and then we'll eventually get truly 'GFs' because both opponents will be trying to truly beat the other.

Well, let's be honest. Most people treat Squiddies like practice dummies because they are disorganized and don't have alot of unified resources. This is why alot of Gallente pilots are sad to see them leave. Not because it was any great competition. But because they miss their pets and racking up kills. I think they may have 2-3 FCs who will lead unified semi-public fleets? Super, Gavin, who else?

So I don't see how the burden falls on us when it's up to them to improve upon their own organizational infrastructure. Does anybody remember about a year ago where the state of Gallente FCs were? I do. We had none. The old guard left or moved on. People thought Red Sonya was our best FC. LMAO. And now we have about a dozen FCs. Not to mention all the backseat FCs as well :)

I remember when I had to cajole Glitch into FCing for EU timezone when we made a Tier 5 pre-Retribution push. I wasn't even asking him to shoot players but to shoot structures. He was so hesitant, unsure of himself, and giving me pushback. But look at him now. He's wanting moar WTs to FC against. You come a long way Glitch...as have Gallente ;)

High Five. Yeah! C'est La Eve .

Bad Messenger
Rehabilitation Clinic
#27 - 2013-04-18 15:50:30 UTC
Julius Foederatus wrote:

Only challenge in current FW is who farms plexes most. To make it non interesting CCP decided to share lp to one side and leave rest almost without it. So if caldari wants to win war we have to take systems for amarr 1st to prevent minmatar lp farmers on caldari area.

Challenge is so big that no one is willing to do it because you do not really get anything, you sure will get better lp farm but if you want to farm lp just join minmatar and save half year grind for nothing.

Also i do not understand why CCP had to put docking denial, as you see in this thread people are not really happy about it, it just make FW for people who could go 0.0 as well, now casual players just base out of fw lowsec and farm lp.

FW is what it is, CCP is happy about it, their statistics shows that it works fine ! and they are not going to fix it soon. But if you see any way this could change to full scale war tell me, i am listening.
Deen Wispa
Sheriff.
#28 - 2013-04-18 15:54:18 UTC
BM- How much isk does Gallente need to raise and give to you so you can stop talking about farming?

Bad Messenger
Rehabilitation Clinic
#29 - 2013-04-18 15:59:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Bad Messenger
Deen Wispa wrote:
BM- How much isk does Gallente need to raise and give to you so you can stop talking about farming?

FW is about farming, systems flip because farmers farm, only couple systems are defended by pvp players, rest of systems just flip flop.

No one is really interested about defending because of current tier system. So guy who farms most lp will get systems and it is minmatar farmers who farm most.

So if caldari want to really take systems 1st thing is to stop farmers and keep them away, it is not fancy pvp it is just chasing stabbed cloakky ships mostly. So no one is willing to do that either.

So just tell me how we can make this full scale war fi you know better.
Deacon Abox
Black Eagle5
#30 - 2013-04-18 16:22:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Deacon Abox
Deen Wispa wrote:

I don't mind him talking about farming. Farming is too easy atm.

I do mind him somehow insinuating that it is the determining factor in warzone control and that it is a one sided problem. Because I sure have seen many, too many, Caldari farming alts. Caldari had/have had for years built in advantages (ewar, missile mechanics both ways, more desirable faction ships, a better map to work with, etc) that attracted so many. Some of that has been rebalanced away, some still has not. There is always the potential for the hordes of stabbed cloaked merlins and condors to reappear/build up again. Caldari numbers have always been higher than Gallente.

But not as bad as the Amarr/Minmatar numerical difference. The folks I actually have sympathy for are the Amarr. Their numerical position really sucks. Probably the backstory problem. Most people simply don't want to roleplay or even be associated with a religious nutjob human slave proponent. If CCP could fix/mute that in some way but still provide motivations to the factions it would go a long way with repairing the imbalance. Possibly even more than helping out the current minmatar ship advantages. Because in truth that has been addressed somewhat for a while with the desirability of Napocs and Slicers for a pvp market that will replenish itself through inevitable losses (a la SFIs) but to no avail as far as gaining numbers for Amarr.

Btw, cloaks I don't mind. Incredibly fun to warp into a plex to kill a plexer. Not see him because he cloaked. Listen to the rage in local as you proceed to dplex away his hoped for farming. Realize he is very very slowly moving to a safe range to uncloak and warp out.

Warp stabs though, should negate the ability to cloak as another drawback to fitting them Idea. And in general the existing drawbacks on them could be strengthened to make them a really really disabling mod for anything other than travel fitting.P

CCP, there are off buttons for ship explosions, missile effects, turret effects, etc. "Immersion" does not seem to be harmed by those. So, [u]please[/u] give us a persisting off button for the jump gate and autoscan visuals.

Julius Foederatus
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#31 - 2013-04-18 16:37:56 UTC
Deen Wispa wrote:
Julius Foederatus wrote:

Well, let's be honest. Most people treat Squiddies like practice dummies because they are disorganized and don't have alot of unified resources. This is why alot of Gallente pilots are sad to see them leave. Not because it was any great competition. But because they miss their pets and racking up kills. I think they may have 2-3 FCs who will lead unified semi-public fleets? Super, Gavin, who else?

So I don't see how the burden falls on us when it's up to them to improve upon their own organizational infrastructure. Does anybody remember about a year ago where the state of Gallente FCs were? I do. We had none. The old guard left or moved on. People thought Red Sonya was our best FC. LMAO. And now we have about a dozen FCs. Not to mention all the backseat FCs as well :)

I remember when I had to cajole Glitch into FCing for EU timezone when we made a Tier 5 pre-Retribution push. I wasn't even asking him to shoot players but to shoot structures. He was so hesitant, unsure of himself, and giving me pushback. But look at him now. He's wanting moar WTs to FC against. You come a long way Glitch...as have Gallente ;)

My point is more that we're doing a disservice to ourselves by not always trying to be our best. Treating squids like practice dummies just makes us lazy and complacent and when we try to play with the big boys we get roughed up. If we treated it more seriously then those things might not happen.
SAJUK NIGARRA
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#32 - 2013-04-18 16:47:35 UTC  |  Edited by: SAJUK NIGARRA
Julius Foederatus wrote:

My point is more that we're doing a disservice to ourselves by not always trying to be our best. Treating squids like practice dummies just makes us lazy and complacent and when we try to play with the big boys we get roughed up. If we treated it more seriously then those things might not happen.

Yes and no. I mean, I see your point, but playing with the big boys and fighting for occupancy against caldari are two very different skillsets. Sure, they meet here and there, but I've done both this year, and one can not teach you anything about the other.

Fighting the big boys is about getting intel, knowing how and when to use your heavy assets and beeing able to assemble a blob fast. Fighting for occupancy is about grid awerness, knowing plexing mechanics, and beeing able to spread and coordinate small mobile groups of people

That beeing said, I agree that challenging yourself is the way to go and if you set to do something, might aswell try and do it to the best of your abilities.
Colt Blackhawk
Doomheim
#33 - 2013-04-18 16:58:21 UTC
Quote:
Well, let's be honest. Most people treat Squiddies like practice dummies because they are disorganized and don't have alot of unified resources.

Well. At least you know your enemy :D

[09:04:53] Ashira Twilight > Plant the f****** amarr flag and s*** on their smoking wrecks.

X Gallentius
Black Eagle1
#34 - 2013-04-18 17:00:08 UTC
Time scales, shiptypes, tactics, etc.. will differ, but the discipline to get into the right ships for the job as quickly as possible is a key feature that defines a successful pvp corp anywhere in Eve.
Deen Wispa
Sheriff.
#35 - 2013-04-18 17:03:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Deen Wispa
Julius Foederatus wrote:
Deen Wispa wrote:
Julius Foederatus wrote:

I see what you are saying. Yes, I agree with you and Sajuk . Many of the militia corps across all factions have tunnel vision and just refuse to grow beyond fighting practice dummies and terribad WTs.

I know you and a couple other FCs have tried organizing and fighting the bigger boys like Shadow Cartel, BALEX and yes, we get roughed up. And it IS frustrating because some of us want that challenge but unfortunately, the mindset of many in Gallente is to just keep fighting in frigs and refusing to get the Proteus or Lach out. So many times I've been in fleets where we can get a great fight but people refuse to reship into anything beyond a cruiser.

Unfortunately, the problem is only solved when each corp chooses to make that conscience decision to challenge themselves rather than always wanting another kill to add to the KB. Just find 2 or 3 corps who are taking that path and collaborate with each other and leave the other corps to do as they wish within the warzone. The nice thing is there are a couple of corps who are already on that path

Juan Rayo
Justified Chaos
#36 - 2013-04-18 17:30:45 UTC
If I was a squid, instead of going all "oh my yes thank you Glitch for proposing that dady Gallente stop spaking us and give us a system to live in" I'd suspect he was a troll and feel kinda insulted.

You guys posting here going all "pls don't kick us out the next system we go to cause you'll lose your punching doll" are doing a diservice to the fighting squids I've faced over the years, and are a ******* insult to squids corps and alliances that have kicked gallente ass in the past.

Just saying.
Glitch Lampshade
Desolate Waste
Desolate.
#37 - 2013-04-18 18:17:20 UTC
Just like to Point out about Nenna,

I spent most days doing 5-6 hour Deplexing fleets for the Milita, although i didnt deplex i encouraged others too and gave them something to work towards.

EU time zone battered us Stupidly which the US guys havn't an actual clue.

When there are 40 WT in Nenna and Enaluri and you cannot warp to a plex with out Pirates who live in nenna killing you who have links the lot it was impossible Simply put. The issue i had was trying to get people who didnt just want to throw ships to caldari. Essentially US timezone are saying to me " just throw away isk for no reason" that's how bad EU was.

Getting any fight that was deemed winnable was rare. It's that simple . It's not that I / we didn't try but after 5 hours of getting Killed in my home system i thought it would be prudent to do a two hour roam away from my home system. <-- Is fact.

It is not that EU didnt't try but we don't have the people. We can't just form a fleet and when we do if we have the numbers it's

"lemme just get my ship from dodixie"

If you cannot and did not see the EU timezone as how it was I would prefer people do not bash the people who really tried for months. Really was hoping this wouldn't get personal but apparently people have issues with me not staying in my home system and plexing it 24/7.
Juan Rayo
Justified Chaos
#38 - 2013-04-18 18:30:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Juan Rayo
This is example what I meant a couple posts before and it has to do with selective picking of information and generalization from it.

I can sometimes log in from work. While not really playing I take a look at what's going on in intel channels. I see for example EU Nenna go for a fight against squids, get sandwiched between squids and pies, lose the fight and not having enough people to go back to the small or medium or whatever plex they just say "**** it we don't have enough letś roam" and that's EXACTLY what they should do.

Or I see the intel channels light up with people saying "we are going for round 4 on that small".

Then I see someone logging 2 hours after that and going "well the EU nenna is doing nothing". Argh.

People let their very narrow and personal experience color their opinion. That's fine. What is NOT fine is taking that neccesarily narrow experience and generalizing it: that is, applying it to everything and everyone else.

I'd for example agree that it is unjust to accuse EU nenna of "not deplexing enough". Now consider this: you did the same thing (generalization) with the OP. In fact, tons of people are doing that in this thread. Hence my first post in this here thread.
Glitch Lampshade
Desolate Waste
Desolate.
#39 - 2013-04-18 18:51:14 UTC
Why thanks Juan,

But this is deffinatly a Stigma EU has. We were outnumbered out gunned with little resources. Then i get told things like i do not plex enough which yes i do not. But please do not tell me how my Timezone works.

Nenna yes did not plex enough but in context there are so many reasons why that is.

Lack of people
Pirates who are boosted and we all know who they are and they seem to favour the caldari to the point of sitting on their plexes guarding them.
Lack of organized people ( non Dodixie people )
Too many squids.
RL time constraints
X Gallentius
Black Eagle1
#40 - 2013-04-18 19:25:00 UTC
Damnit, looks like Heyd Moon 19 is off the list for now. So much for Caldari failcascading into oblivion. /me dusting off my Derp Atron fleet.