These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Market Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CCP Official post - Cache scraping is banned

First post First post
Author
Uppsy Daisy
State War Academy
Caldari State
#1 - 2013-04-18 14:06:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Uppsy Daisy
New Dev Blog - https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2899251

New Wiki Page - http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Third_Party_Policies

We recognize that some players have engaged in cache scraping in the past, and we want to be clear this practice is not permitted. That said, unless there is an extreme case (i.e., cache scraping combined with other EULA violations), we will not penalize players who have engaged in this practice prior to 15 April 2013. Now that we have made our intent and policy clear, we may, in our sole discretion, deliver appropriate penalties for players that engage in cache scraping after 15 April 2013 (including temporary or permanent bans). In addition, we also may consider eliminating the cache to eliminate this practice and for performance reasons.

This is going to cause some major raging.

Everyone running Eve-Mon is about to get banned. Hell one of guys running for CSM ( http://www.fuzzwork.co.uk/category/csm8/ ) manages one of the Eve Market Relay nodes ( http://www.eve-emdr.com/en/latest/access.html ), and its solely populated with cache scraped data!

*grabs popcorn*
Quinzel Nikulainen
Kokako Acquisitions
#2 - 2013-04-18 14:13:15 UTC
Oh snap.

Ex-Kaalakiota citizen. Ex-Hyasyoda citizen. CEO of KŌKAK, a Nugoeihuvi affiliate corporation.

Akrasjel Lanate
Immemorial Coalescence Administration
Immemorial Coalescence
#3 - 2013-04-18 14:25:15 UTC
Wot

CEO of Lanate Industries

Citizen of Solitude

flakeys
Doomheim
#4 - 2013-04-18 14:57:00 UTC
I LIKE IT

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

I LIKE IT
HIGH RISK INVESTMENT
#5 - 2013-04-18 15:09:56 UTC
I LIKE IT
Halvan Zan
Doomheim
#6 - 2013-04-18 15:16:40 UTC
Is that Eve-Central's premise?
Stonkeep
Osmanli Empire
#7 - 2013-04-18 15:24:40 UTC
This is a great news. It also shows us that CCP is listening and watching us.

Recent discussion;

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=218968&find=unread
Crying Miner
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2013-04-18 15:31:08 UTC
Quote:
We are looking for cheaters, hackers, botters and the likes. We are not looking for EVEMON users. Basically, please don't worry

Pretty much CCP's reply
Havoc Zealot
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#9 - 2013-04-18 15:33:28 UTC
Said they will use the ban hammer at their discretion which seems to pertain to botters and RMT. So our lovely market tool should still work fine.
Derath Ellecon
ATRAX.
Shadow Cartel
#10 - 2013-04-18 16:06:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Derath Ellecon
Havoc Zealot wrote:
Said they will use the ban hammer at their discretion which seems to pertain to botters and RMT. So our lovely market tool should still work fine.

They also say they remove the cache entirely...
Fractal Muse
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#11 - 2013-04-18 16:24:12 UTC
Yay!

This news makes me happy.

Zahara Cody
Imperial Corrections Service.
#12 - 2013-04-18 17:26:41 UTC
Will evemon still work?

Hating is free, that's why poor people do it the best.

Rhivre
TarNec
Invisible Exchequer
#13 - 2013-04-18 17:39:49 UTC
Zahara Cody wrote:
Will evemon still work?

"We are looking for cheaters, hackers, botters and the likes. We are not looking for EVEMON users. Basically, please don't worry"

Yes...

Now, lets continue with the early start to silly season.... on with the thread
Alex Grison
Grison Universal
#14 - 2013-04-18 17:40:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Alex Grison
There goes evecentral. maybe.

yes

Derath Ellecon
ATRAX.
Shadow Cartel
#15 - 2013-04-18 23:26:39 UTC
Alex Grison wrote:
There goes evecentral. maybe.

Honestly I think that could be an improvement
Mu-Shi Ai
Hosono House
#16 - 2013-04-19 00:07:59 UTC
Okay, why did you have to bring the rage over to MD? Seriously. Like the devs said a billion times, it's never been legal according to the EULA, and they're not going to be chasing down EVEMon users. If you can't distinguish a legalistic response when you see one, then I don't know what to say. Clearly they are stopping short of saying it's legal for EVEMon and other non-botting purposes because they don't want to put themselves in hot water if they enforce in an unforeseen borderline case at some point in the future. If they say "Hey, it's okay for EVEMon guys!" and then EVEMon somehow gets an update which allows players to do unacceptable things with cache-scraping, they've put themselves in a bad position. It's a legalistic response. They are not going to clamp down on EVEMon users. Please, pretty please, take off the tinfoil hat.
Giffen Zaxos
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2013-04-19 00:28:29 UTC
So I assume this means Eve Mentat is illegal since it uses the eve market cache to import the prices of your goods you are trading?

What about the market logs are those now illegal to use too? They have the same information as the cache.
Mu-Shi Ai
Hosono House
#18 - 2013-04-19 00:31:02 UTC
Giffen Zaxos wrote:
So I assume this means Eve Mentat is illegal since it uses the eve market cache to import the prices of your goods you are trading?

What about the market logs are those now illegal to use too? They have the same information as the cache.

Yes, it's illegal. You should probably go ahead and stop using EVE Mentat before they kick down your door. Be scared. Be very scared.
ISD Dorrim Barstorlode
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#19 - 2013-04-19 02:39:46 UTC
Good evening. As was pointed out in the very first post, there is already a feedback thread for this issue. If you post in this thread, your feedback will be greatly appreciated. To prevent clutter on the forum, I will close this thread and urge you to post in the feedback thread. Thank you.

Thread closed.

ISD Dorrim Barstorlode

Senior Lead

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

CCP Phantom
C C P
C C P Alliance
#20 - 2013-04-19 09:55:41 UTC
Please also note the update from CCP Peligro:

After consulting with CCP Legal and Team Security, we are not prepared to amend the EULA at this time to address your concerns. However, your comments are good ones, and we will consider incorporating them with the next scheduled update to the EULA (expected this fall, 2013).

In the meantime, CCP confirms that we will only impose penalties on cache scraping if used in connection with other illegal activities in the game (i.e., botting). We will not take action against cache scraping for other uses.

CCP Phantom - Senior Community Developer