These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Wormholes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

LF Advice: Cheap fleet comps for fighting/learning

Author
Tsukihi Phoenix
Scarlet Devil Industries
#21 - 2013-04-17 12:37:36 UTC
Yokomaki wrote:
I'll skip the intro as fast as possible and get to the good stuff.

Our background:
  • Myself and friends formed a corp awhile back and moved into C4-C4 WH. We love WH space.
  • Several of us, myself included have experience in nullsec alliances and some pvp experience in fleets.
  • We have been growing in confidence and experience to the point we don't hole up every time a K162 opens and now think of it as an opportunity.
  • We have 8 players, 4 of which are WoW transfers and 2m or less SP players but very competent and quick learners.
  • We dualbox

What we are doing:
  • To get our new players up to speed as quickly as possible we all focus on Amarr specific ships.
  • We get our newbros into Augorors and within 2 weeks of starting can be effective and useful in PvE and PvP.
  • Every day it seems we want to run sites less and find fights more, but we can't seem to find them.
  • We want to stay a small corp and learn from our own mistakes rather than join a large pvp corp/alliance where we just ride on the coattails of someone else's hard work.

We would like to keep individual ships to less than 100m each so that we can go out, blow stuff up and learn without having to run sites for a few days to replace an expensive fleet. Currently we are putting together a fleet comp of Augs, Prophecys, and Harbingers.

Our fleet comp would look something like this:
Augoror x3
Prophecy x3
Harbinger x2
Malediction x1
Prophecy (boosting) x1

So here is where I am seeking advice. We are focusing our fleet on defense and we are quite light on offense. The majority of our damage comes from drone damage at ~200-300 dps for each prophecy and ~150dps for each harbinger. We are training up for sentries but we are still talking less than 400 dps per prophecy.

Aside from getting rolled by 30 T3's with support, how would this hold up from say 5-10 T3's with no logi? Are there small gangs such as our own we could roll into or do we just need to scan down to lowsec to get small fleet engagements? I often try to contact locals in our chain to see if they are interested in small gang stuff but have never been taken up on the offer.

Is there something that is low skillpoint/low ISK for dps that we could swap out to?

Thanks much for any input.

If you're planning on sticking to Amarr, i would suggest getting your newbro's into guardians asap, the extra range on the RR and energy transfer is ridiculously good. If you plan on using mainly drones for dps, you're going to have issues with people just popping your drones and wind up having 0 dps, i would also suggest using mainly harbies or nomens or zealot/legions for the more spacerich and experienced players. I would also have at least 1, maybe 2 people train for some kind of recon or support role, whether it be a huginn/loki for the ridiculously good webs or a BB/falcon for gtfo'ing or disrupting enemy logi chains, even an arbi/curse/pilgrim would be nice if you run into a t3 gang with proteii/legions. for something like 8-10 guys i would personally roll something like

-3 logi, with an on grid booster in a proph with smartbombs to pop the drones that will come to your logi
-1/2 support (i would bring at least 1 ship for just webs and neuts and then possibly a falcon or BB)
-rest dps, preferrably straight turret dps. (harbs, oracles, Omen/zealot/legions)

All in all, getting a "fair" fight is going to be difficult, but if your FC is good and as you gain experience, you should start coming out on top in isk efficiency. of course, 'tis all bout having the funs.

...just be careful to not get everyone podded and locked out of your own system. xD

Lenier Chenal
Offensive Upholder
#22 - 2013-04-17 14:37:32 UTC
I'd honestly suggest using SFIs and Navy Omens - they are fast, do great DPS, and T3s do less applied DPS on them than battlecruisers. You could play around with both.
Ethan Revenant
Adhocracy Incorporated
Adhocracy
#23 - 2013-04-17 14:53:15 UTC
Don't lock yourself into one tanking type. Fleet comp flexibility is incredibly valuable when you have limited resources, and pulsars will be a no-go for you as long as you exclusively fly armor. Practice hit-and-run tactics too. Encourage people to specialize in roles, not races. A good logibro will be a good logibro in shield and in armor, but someone who is a veteran of brawling armor fleets but doesn't know much about skirmishing shield fleets is less valuable overall.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that because your ships are cheap, you can be sloppy in fleet command and choosing the terms under which you engage your foes. Staying calm and treating every fight as though you were flying blingy T3s will teach you more than leeerooooying into every fight that comes your way.
Previous page12