These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123

Arguing with a Truther

Author
Eurydia Vespasian
Storm Hunters
#41 - 2013-04-15 16:44:03 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:

i kind of enjoyed the swearing at each other in old english (or whatever passed for it anyway) thread. it was sort of fun.
Ivy Romanova
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#42 - 2013-04-16 00:47:51 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Micheal Dietrich wrote:

Wasn't a problem for me, didn't have any internet during my drinking days, it would have cut into my beer fund.

I actually got Blocked by Bill Corbett, they voice of Crow T Robot, over on Twitter for going off on him by taking a joke as serious. I was 'drunkenly concerned' that it was the truth so he thought I was a Troll.

That was it for me.

PASSIVE!
AGGRESSIVE!
PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE !

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ DAMN THIS    SIGNATURE    IS FANCY ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#43 - 2013-04-16 00:54:35 UTC  |  Edited by: silens vesica
Ivy Romanova wrote:

Arguing with a Truther

The first rule of Arguing with a Truther is: Don't.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Seriously. Truthers and Birthers are fanatics - it is a religion to them, faith over fact and reason. Even though some of them are technically quite smart.
Go figure.

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc

Ivy Romanova
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#44 - 2013-04-16 01:00:12 UTC
silens vesica wrote:
Ivy Romanova wrote:

Arguing with a Truther

Seriously. Truthers and Birthers are fanatics - it is a religion to them, faith over fact and reason. Even though some of them are technically quite smart.
Go figure.

Smart by the standard of suedo science usage and circular arguments ...
yes they are .
They also have the tendency to believe they themselves are victorious even tho others simply gave up on drilling into his titanium carbide skull .

It really URFED me .

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ DAMN THIS    SIGNATURE    IS FANCY ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#45 - 2013-04-16 01:10:25 UTC
Ivy Romanova wrote:
silens vesica wrote:
Ivy Romanova wrote:

Arguing with a Truther

Go figure.

yes they are .
They also have the tendency to believe they themselves are victorious even tho others simply gave up on drilling into his titanium carbide skull .

It really URFED me .
Sadly, it's not just that. My father, god love him, is a Birther. He holds a doctorate in the dual subjects of mechanical and aeronautical engineering. He's a mathemetician with whom to conjur - maybe 1500 other mathematicians on the entire planet can keep up with him. And he's a Birther. Probably because it's easier than admitting to himself that he's an un-reconstructed bigot.

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc

Ivy Romanova
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#46 - 2013-04-16 01:13:13 UTC
silens vesica wrote:
Ivy Romanova wrote:
silens vesica wrote:
Ivy Romanova wrote:

Arguing with a Truther

Go figure.

yes they are .

It really URFED me .
Sadly, it's not just that. My father, god love him, is a Birther. He holds a doctorate in the dual subjects of mechanical and aeronautical engineering. He's a mathemetician with whom to conjur - maybe 1500 other mathematicians on the entire planet can keep up with him. And he's a Birther. Probably because it's easier than admitting to himself that he's an un-reconstructed bigot.

The elderly have a tendency to do that .
As each of our final days loom , we seek for a stone to put down our burdens and forget our own mortality .
Bless him but gees , such a waste of human material

Sidus Isaacs
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#47 - 2013-04-16 07:27:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Sidus Isaacs
Ivy Romanova wrote:
Akita T wrote:
You'll never convince that idiot, since the vast majority of his knowledge is screwy... you'd need to re-educate him from the most basic level upwards, and he'd only be resisting you all the way.
You're just getting needlessly angry. The most sane response to that would be to simply state the above and just walk away.

Which kinda intrigues me into how does Richard Dawkins ... Carl Sagon , Thunderf00t endures arguments with creationists

Once I've even seen an evangelist documentary saying how the nigara falls is proof god exists because its source is at a higher altitude than the lower stream... I couldn't face palm harder.

They argue the creationists for the sake of the other people that may be "on the fence", or to further consolidate a solid viewpoint that others can use that may not be the best at discussions, not to convince the creationist.

I still remember that whole venomfang thing, as I was big on watching such videos back then as a part of consolidating my own viewpoint.

And there is of course the old saying "don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Ivy Romanova
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#48 - 2013-04-16 08:12:19 UTC
Sidus Isaacs wrote:
Ivy Romanova wrote:
Akita T wrote:
You'll never convince that idiot, since the vast majority of his knowledge is screwy... you'd need to re-educate him from the most basic level upwards, and he'd only be resisting you all the way.
You're just getting needlessly angry. The most sane response to that would be to simply state the above and just walk away.

Which kinda intrigues me into how does Richard Dawkins ... Carl Sagon , Thunderf00t endures arguments with creationists

Once I've even seen an evangelist documentary saying how the nigara falls is proof god exists because its source is at a higher altitude than the lower stream... I couldn't face palm harder.

They argue the creationists for the sake of the other people that may be "on the fence", or to further consolidate a solid viewpoint that others can use that may not be the best at discussions, not to convince the creationist.

I still remember that whole venomfang thing, as I was big on watching such videos back then as a part of consolidating my own viewpoint.

And there is of course the old saying "don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Considering how the partially informed is even more easily influenced than the uninformed and how they prejudice with the fragmented and often wrong understanding of the world's fundamental concepts will only serve the further deepens their roots in the cess pool .

I'll say its pretty much for the worse ....

Sidus Isaacs
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#49 - 2013-04-16 11:01:09 UTC
Ivy Romanova wrote:
Sidus Isaacs wrote:
Ivy Romanova wrote:
Akita T wrote:

Considering how the partially informed is even more easily influenced than the uninformed and how they prejudice with the fragmented and often wrong understanding of the world's fundamental concepts will only serve the further deepens their roots in the cess pool .

I'll say its pretty much for the worse ....

Maybe, maybe not. At the end of the day, you are pretty much ****** if you are not able to think for yourself and ask questions and adapt your own world view. Too many people seem to lack this capacity.
Ivy Romanova
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#50 - 2013-04-16 11:08:37 UTC
@Sidus Isaacs
I'm kinda surprised you actually understood what I typed, despite of the punctuation malfunction .Lol

Information is a double edged sword , as people grew increasingly reliant on Internet resources .
Instead of
Fork ----- > Chew ----> Swallow
Today we live in an age of
Spoon fed ---- > Swallow

He is playing a dangerous game I tell you what .

Akita T
Caldari Navy Volunteer Task Force
#51 - 2013-04-16 20:14:19 UTC
Ivy Romanova wrote:
Akita T wrote:

Because they're doing it for the benefit of the rest of a rather large audience, not for the benefit of that single one guy they're arguing against at any specific time.
Huge difference.
And even they eventually get fed up with people that just ignore anything they say.
Ivy Romanova
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#52 - 2013-04-17 14:13:26 UTC
Akita T wrote:
Ivy Romanova wrote:
Akita T wrote:

Because they're doing it for the benefit of the rest of a rather large audience, not for the benefit of that single one guy they're arguing against at any specific time.
Huge difference.
And even they eventually get fed up with people that just ignore anything they say.

The Church should be an adult only place .
Bringing kids to such venues is just pure indoctrination .

Tarryn Nightstorm
Hellstar Towing and Recovery
#53 - 2013-04-17 23:42:10 UTC
Ivy Romanova wrote:
OH GAWD!
He's now accusing me of being a... satanist???
Wut? Straight

This is the first time I've ... talked with a truther ....

Does the idiot even know what an actual Satanist is?

Because I'd be taking that as a compliment, me.

Star Wars: the Old Republic may not be EVE. But I'll take the sound of dual blaster-pistols over "NURVV CLAOKING NAOW!!!11oneone!!" any day of the week.

Tarryn Nightstorm
Hellstar Towing and Recovery
#54 - 2013-04-18 00:04:03 UTC
Ivy Romanova wrote:
[snip multi-quote]

^^That.^^ So totally, ^^that.^^

"Give us a child until he is seven, and he is ours forever."

--(Attributed to the most successful criminal organisation in human history Holy Roman Church)

Star Wars: the Old Republic may not be EVE. But I'll take the sound of dual blaster-pistols over "NURVV CLAOKING NAOW!!!11oneone!!" any day of the week.

Akita T
Caldari Navy Volunteer Task Force
#55 - 2013-04-18 04:51:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Akita T
Ivy Romanova wrote:

Yeah, by the way, nowadays, religion is a class in school over here (1 or 2 hours per week), starting at age 5-6 (pre-school) up to age 18-19 (the 12th grade). That's 13 years of religion being thought to kids IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS.
And we're not talking history of religion or anything like that, but actual church dogma.
You can "opt out" if you insist, but the default is to have the "class", and you get some dirty looks (mainly from the religion "teachers", but also most of the other parents) if you do try to opt your kid out, since nearly 95% of the population claims to be a believer in some kind of god.
On the other hand, you have plenty of kids who want to NOT take the class, but the parents are insisting they should.

This whole fiasco started right about 1990 (shortly after the fall of communism), with people over-reacting to the former "state atheism" like crazy persons, putting the orthodox church on a pedestal from which it never came down (quite the opposite, that pedestal has been getting bigger and more ornate every year).
And now you have a country in which nearly half the people think the Sun revolves around the Earth, and more than half believe demonic possession is real, and that whatever the church says can not be wrong, while nearly 80% think miracles that can never be explained by science are actually happening (NO KIDDING).

Latest political stunt was to try and have religion inserted into the constitution of a secular state, and while it did fail today, it's not sure it will fail again several years later when they're sure to try it once more.
Yup, Romania (in spite of being in Eat Europe) is slowly but almost surely turning into a sort of Afghanistan or some other knd of backwater country if nothing will change soon.
Previous page123