These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Warfare & Tactics

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dead inside of a Wormhole.

Author
Veran Nijoba
Gamers Corner
#1 - 2011-10-29 08:14:04 UTC
I got Grim News today...

The POS that existed in our Wormhole has been Destroyed. I'm not naming names nor am I concerned with the Issues of being at war / whomever decided to POP our POS.

What I'm more interested in is. How do I know if there is anyone in my Wormhole without Logging in and Scanning?

Cause from the looks of it. The minute I login is the minute, if even, that I get popped. I just want to know if there is a safe way to check?
Meltmind2
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#2 - 2011-10-29 10:20:30 UTC
There is no safe way, if people are cloaked up in your hole the only way you'll know is when they uncloak and show up on dscan or uncloak and tackle you.
Veran Nijoba
Gamers Corner
#3 - 2011-10-29 11:17:46 UTC
Well I am kinda trapped in there for a bit i guess... Lose a Ship or two valuing over 100mil or play it safe and wait it out. Or try and get out right after DT.
Plain Shara
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2011-10-29 11:39:09 UTC
Try to log in right after downtime. If you get a message saying that the wormhole isn't yet available and to try again, you know that nobody else is in there, online, yet. Of course, if you don't get the message, you have no real recourse but to buckle down and warp in to what I imagine is the location of your old POS.

Assuming the pos and all mods were destroyed, and that you're in a cloaky ship, you can activate cloak without worrying too much about being decloaked by the assailant camping your old POS location.

Miyahon
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2011-10-29 14:09:41 UTC
As Plain Shara has said, if you are the first person to enter that system - either login or jump in, a message will appear stating the system isn't ready. I'm sure you've probably seen this before.

Best of luck
Siva Surya Kshatriya
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2011-10-29 20:35:02 UTC
Write 'o/' in local and see if they reflexively respond with 'o7'. That's really the only way bar scanning. If you have the time, your best bet is to scan the system for new wormhole openings every hour and sit an alt down near the entrances.
Potato IQ
Doomheim
#7 - 2011-10-31 09:01:11 UTC
So you didn’t log at a safe in a cov ops ship? Tut tut
Veran Nijoba
Gamers Corner
#8 - 2011-10-31 10:44:14 UTC
Didn't think about it. ^_^ Wasn't paranoid about losing my stuff in the Wormhole. Of course I have a feeling that some one in our corp screwed us over with it as the guns weren't firing like they should've been.
Tess La'Coil
Messerschmitt Vertrieb und Logistik
#9 - 2011-10-31 11:21:39 UTC
Of course you could just enter your WH name in Staticmapper:

Like so: http://www.staticmapper.com/index.php?system=J110126

And just view the jumps/activity in the hole you're living in prior to logging. Typically there has been no activity for around 6 hours most pirates will have left the WH in search of a better hole. Or you might run into the oddball that started living in your hole to be a pain in your arse.
Someone once said I was a muppet. If that's so, I'm quite sure the Swedish Chef is my brother. 
Tora Oni
Legendary Sidekicks in Space
#10 - 2011-10-31 17:11:49 UTC
Potato IQ wrote:
So you didn’t log at a safe in a cov ops ship? Tut tut

Whats he said...... ALWAYS log of at a safe in a cloaky dps ship. If it wasn't just to be sure you will get out, it is for pvp reasons. What POS was it, cause a big pos or even medium you should have noticed. Seen any other POS, Dreads flying around ?Pirate
Veran Nijoba
Gamers Corner
#11 - 2011-10-31 20:02:13 UTC
ours was a medium pos . I will check that out next time... btw how does it work (The site)
Jack Miton
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#12 - 2011-11-01 02:57:16 UTC
Veran Nijoba wrote:
Didn't think about it. ^_^ Wasn't paranoid about losing my stuff in the Wormhole.

This made me LOL hard Lol
You must be new to Whs, welcome, drop by in your expensive ships any time you like :)

There is no Bob.

Stuck In Here With Me:  http://sihwm.blogspot.com.au/

Down the Pipe:  http://feeds.feedburner.com/CloakyScout

Veran Nijoba
Gamers Corner
#13 - 2011-11-01 05:08:22 UTC
They weren't really expensive considering they paid for them selves 2-3x over in the short time i was in there.

Also, I was curious to see what WH's were all about. So I went in, in something i could afford to lose.

Figured it couldn't hurt to see what it's about. However I did make the mistake of not knowing how to best take care of a wormhole. The people in our corp who'd "Lived" in C4's didn't even know how to take care of things. Nor did they tell people to not come in without scanning probes on their ships. My problem is I tried to get out of there while It was still being attacked and didn't have a Cloak.

The other thing is i made the attempt to destroy the warp disruption bubbles on my own. ^_^ Without flying back to the shield when they started to attack me. <_< 10km away from the shield... Proteus right here... I'm in a Harbinger... I want to get to High Sec... "**** it... I'll fight!" Got him down to 74% armor in my Tech 1 Harbinger before 2 -3 of his friends joined in and popped me.

He said that I was the only one willing to fight for the POS everyone else was just running around. xD So with that being said... I was disappointed. People who logged in were safe inside the bubble of the POS Shield. Since we were still in "Reinforcement Phase" or something like that. The Guns were shut off... don't know why... Also we didn't have a sufficient amount of combat ships in the Wormhole. Most people were flying BC's to do Sleeper Sites in our C1 / C2... the only problem with that is no one but me could solo them... (One Ship)

Then their Combat Ships didn't have Core Scanner Probes or a Basic Scan Probe Launcher... Which screwed them over with trying to find the exit when everyone had gone... <_< Everyone Left in a hurry or got pod killed because they were running instead of playing it smart. (Logged Out = Ship is not scan-able) Play on an alt for a few days get into the swing of things. (Stop Training on main and start training on the ALT)...

So I've learned my Lesson about Wormholes. However i didn't lose as much as other people did...

Tess La'Coil
Messerschmitt Vertrieb und Logistik
#14 - 2011-11-01 05:39:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Tess La'Coil
Hi Veran,

You have to enter the name of the WH you live in in the box called "Lookup System"

You can find your current system number without logging in actually by going to the character select screen, and it should be visible next to your name. Usually something like "J100040" or a number of that sort.

With the jumps and ship(multiple types) kills visible in the two graphs you should be able to get an idea of the activity inside the WH at current time.

You say you've learnt your lesson, but I do hope it doesn't withold you from entering again. WH's are a lot of fun, they just take some more preparation and reading up. And of course willingness to PvP when the time comes.

Quote:
The Guns were shut off... don't know why

Everything on your POS offlines in reinforcement mode. During this time the POS uses Strontium to retain its reinforced state. It has to be repaired and refuelled before you can bring it online again after the reinforcement.
Someone once said I was a muppet. If that's so, I'm quite sure the Swedish Chef is my brother. 
Veran Nijoba
Gamers Corner
#15 - 2011-11-01 06:08:09 UTC
What I meant is how the site gathers that data. ^_^

Also they were saying something about them being off before "Reinforcement"

I'm not deterred from entering Wormholes Just before I plan on living there. I want to have enough support set up to survive an attack. Of course if they bring in dreads we're boned. xD (Depending on the Size of a Wormhole it might not be wise for them to do so xD)

I also plan on having 2-3 Control Towers built so that we have Equal Defense on each one and should one be attacked it would be able to be defended by the turrets and people willing to fight. Would also have a place for people to fall back to. xD

Basically much more "Fleet" efforts would be required in each of the wormholes. as well as a scanning alt or two left in the wormhole in a cloaked ship to find out the next exit should someone need to get out or back in. That way we can fight or flight as we chose without permanently losing our Hole HS entrance. ^_^
Celery Man
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#16 - 2011-11-01 09:35:26 UTC
As a regular basher of poses, I will put a large sum of isk in there being no ammo in your guns.
If this is not the case, your pos was not set up correctly.

You cannot anchor multiple poses "next" to each other to cover them with each others guns. They have to be one moon apart.

Last of all, never bother with a medium pos in any class wormhole. Nothing makes me more eager to head off to a pos bash is hearing that it is only a medum.

Check out my alliances website www.talocanunited.com for information on starting out in wormhole space, and if you really want to defend against an attack contact Narwhals ate my duck. You will be outlaying 500m a day I believe for system defence. If you cannot afford that, and cannot field a defence on your own, then do not enter wormhole space.
Dianne Saber
Thunderwaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#17 - 2011-11-01 11:10:47 UTC
[soapbox]

Two things come to mind:

1. Your tower was either not stronted or...
2. You were AFK long enough to allow the RF to happen and stront timer to expire.

Rule #1 I have always told anyone who ever wanted into a WH op I run, never EVER afk in a WH. If you cannot afford the time to log in at LEAST once a day, don't do it.

Rule #2 Defenses of your home are never to be neglelcted and always are the first thing that goes up. Stront goes in the minute after the tower goes online.

[/soapbox]

I feel for ya, I still have corpies trapped in WH's that we moved from two operations ago, but it's their own undoing. A fix is the DT trick mentioned above.