These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Started playing Eve for the first time last week

Author
Dead Man's Switch
Doomheim
#141 - 2013-04-15 07:39:52 UTC
dat breasts
Uzbeg Khan
Henehen Conflict Logistics
#142 - 2013-04-15 08:20:32 UTC
Wow, anyone wondering if the game is worth playing will leave if they come to the forums looking for answers. Time to step out of the basements and get some air.

It's not an easy game getting used to, and the learning curve is somewhat harsh. As someone said earlier; the key is meeting the right people, and there's always something to as long as you don't expect to do it alone.

Things I hate: - Signatures - Irony - Lists

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#143 - 2013-04-15 08:24:15 UTC
Leia Kommana wrote:
Kaanchana wrote:
Thank god. please go back to whatever you like. Eve will get bit better.

Seriously though, you played eve for a week and u decided that the whole game is boring? You 'bought' 2 accs because you were impatient? Impatient for what? training for a week?

I can bet all my chars that you don't know anything abt eve and u haven't seen even a bit of it. I can even say you haven't completed the tutorials too. You undocked, looked around, shot some npc's and decided eve is not for you. Excellent decision, dont let the door hit you on your way out.


Not true, I did ALL the tutorials, and many more missions besides that.
My point is, what am I supposed to do now?

I can't do higher level missions, because I don't have the skills for cruisers and bigger ships, and it will be days perhaps weeks before I do.

I can't go off exploring, because of the same issue, I run into rats which I stand no chance against in a destroyer.

I reallize the Devs only want me to sit around until my skills go up, becuase that is how they get me to keep paying for my accounts. However, the fact that I am paying, and really can't do much at all for the moment is pretty rediculous.


Hypotheticaly, you could team up with someone.

You could also ask for advice in how to solve your problems; EVE players are usually very sympathetic and helpful to requests like that. But instead you chose the other alternative, to complain that things you don't understand are too hard to do, and you're addressing those complaints to players who were (by definition) able to solve those problems themselves. EVE players are not usually sympathetic at all to posts like that.

Would you like to start again?

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#144 - 2013-04-15 08:27:02 UTC
Shaffin Solette wrote:
Love how Sean Connery got 4 likes on his reply because he said "boobs" and I actually replied to the thread with something relevant and don't even get a acknowledgement :(



Welcome to the internet.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Mara Pahrdi
The Order of Anoyia
#145 - 2013-04-15 09:26:07 UTC
Leia Kommana wrote:

My point is, what am I supposed to do now?

This is the question I've seen regularly in rookie chat in the last months, right after new players finished doing the career agents.

I sometimes wonder if it was like this when I started playing eve late in 2010. I didn't pay much attention back then because I joined after doing extensive research about the game before the trial.

I think CCP still does not do a very good job at informing players about the game, before they actually sign up for a trial.

Remove standings and insurance.

Celeste Lovette
#146 - 2013-04-15 09:40:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Celeste Lovette
Leia Kommana wrote:


My point is, what am I supposed to do now?

I can't do higher level missions, because I don't have the skills for cruisers and bigger ships, and it will be days perhaps weeks before I do.


Find a corp !
Factional !
Wardeck !
Pirating or killing Pirates !
Go learn 0.0 at Providence
Missionning for Pirate npc corp low sec & 0.0 (That's great challenge for you)

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."

Job Valador
Professional Amateurs
#147 - 2013-04-15 09:46:04 UTC
Dead Man's Switch wrote:
dat breasts



too be honest for that very reason I think this is a troll post with an alt just trying to get people to spout flames of fury Evil

"The stone exhibited a profound lack of movement."

Lister Vindaloo
5 Tons of Flax
#148 - 2013-04-15 12:53:42 UTC
Could you (the OP) just assume I flamed you, insulted your intelligence and generally trolled you? It's really not worth it, you've had enough suggestions but are too arrogant to do anything about it.



P.s. I'm just chiming in to encourage you to Un-sub
Ana Vyr
Vyral Technologies
#149 - 2013-04-15 15:11:20 UTC
One thing is true. Eve is not a good game for instant gratification gamers. It takes a certain mindset to appreciate.
Jenn aSide
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#150 - 2013-04-15 15:16:35 UTC
Leia Kommana wrote:
The only skill it takes is having a good layout on your ship, and once you actually get into combat its more like a chessgame than a space combat sim.


So, you didn't do 5 seconds of research into the game before D/Ling I see and were thus dissapointed that the game didn't give you something it's never ever offered.... That makes you the typical new player (and gamer in general).

In EVE you are the CAPTAIN of the ship, not it's pilot.
Jenn aSide
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#151 - 2013-04-15 15:18:51 UTC
Leia Kommana wrote:


I can't do higher level missions, because I don't have the skills for cruisers and bigger ships, and it will be days perhaps weeks before I do.


And Behold, someone who shouldn't be playing EVE at all. I've been palying since 2007 and next week on one of my main characters Ill actually be able to use Tech2 heavy drones (lo).

EVE is also a game a patience. Twitch fest instant gratification games are that way--->
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#152 - 2013-04-15 15:48:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
Rather than list all of the things you can be doing, I'll simply tell you what I would do in your current postion.

Stop waiting for skills to train. Skill training is a back ground activity and in very few cases will lack of skills keep you from doing something.

If you want to learn combat in EvE, join Red vs Blue. You'll be kept plenty busy, everyone is welcome, and you'll start to learn all the things about combat in EvE that you have no clue about at the moment. You'll have some FC's that keep things basic, you'll have some that show you how to do more than simply approach or orbit. You'll have ample opportunity to try 1 vs 1 combat to learn the advantages of flying your ship manually. And you will die, a lot, which is something you need to learn to accept in EvE.

You'll go through a lot of ships, but they do have a limited ship replacement program in place.

After you've been in for a while, you'll realize you could have been flying level 2 missions in your frig or destroyer all along... you just didn't know how to pilot your ship correctly. The have a group known as noob fleet that will ease you past that awkward "how hard could it be stage" and show you what you are doing wrong. Once you feel confident you can step up and try your hand at being FC of a combat group, which is highly encouraged for newer players.


All this being said, this is only one option out of the literally limitless things you can do at this point in your training. The only thing limiting your options... is you.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Charlie Jacobson
#153 - 2013-04-15 16:42:55 UTC
Dead Man's Switch wrote:
dat breasts


I believe you mean "dem breasts", sir.
Hessian Arcturus
Doomheim
#154 - 2013-04-15 17:10:42 UTC
I'm a new character (about a month). I have 1.5 million SP (virtually none compared to the 15million+ SP pilots) and I have to say, I fudging love EVE.

I've dabbled in PvE, a little PvP (via the duelling option, my god I was shocking but I received some good tips off the people I duelled), a little bit of Industry (particularly mining, boring to me in long hauls to do every day but easy money when I need ISK). And dabbled in other stuff too.
I'm also loving the fact that you can skill properly in real time rather than a skill tree like WoW or other popular MMO's.

Long story short, I really enjoy what little I know of the EVE universe so far.

How is it a char that's a week old can know everything about EVE, when myself only knows a few things and by your analogy I should have done everything the game has to offer...?

It's human nature to want to explore. To find your line and go beyond it. The only limit, is the one you set yourself.

Ishaki
Caldari Prime Investments
#155 - 2013-04-15 17:26:50 UTC
There are plenty of things to do on day one. Heck, use one of those frigates you get in the tutorials and go out to lowsec or null. not like youre out anything and who knows you may get some kills in.

Also, not all corps require an sp minimum. There are plenty out there who will take brand new players, my mains corp does and they have been some good people weve recruited and they go on roams and keep up with the rest of us oldtimers just fine.

Moral of the story, don't listen to too many forum horror stories. as a new player you really aren't out much since you can get free newbie ships when you die and clone costs are minimal or unnecessary at first so go explore and try different things in all areas of space.

I had created a new character and did just that roaming around in lowsec and providence just because I was bored one night and wanted to just go wherever.
Khira Kitamatsu
#156 - 2013-04-15 17:31:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Khira Kitamatsu
You know despite the growling of the usual forum peeps about the OP and the OP's opinion of the game regarding the new player experience, she is partially right. Space combat in EVE isn't really all that exciting. WoW's combat is more engaging than EVE's. LOL! Anyone that plays EVE knows and understands this - EVE's combat is just what it is - and we've come to accept it because we've grown accustomed to its pace. For a new player though - think about it from their perspective. It is slow and it is not exciting in the least. It is what it is. Trying to make it seem like it is something more than what it is - makes you look silly.

Plus, new players often find the slow grind of earning skill points to much to deal with, especially when they first get into the game. This is nothing new, we've all seen hundreds of post regarding this topic. In fact CCP has listened and tried to ease the initial grind by removing players need to skill up attributes - remember? To say she is unwarranted in her gripe with the way skills are earned in this game is silly because it has always been an ongoing issue in the game with new players, and is one of the main reasons why so many people fail to stick with the game. EVE is a trial of patience. It takes a special person to deal with the slow slog of earning skill points - not everyone can do it. Do not beret her/him because she is one of the "majority" of gamers that cannot cope with the way skill points are earned in this game, and she/he has every right to have an opinion on it and to voice that opinion. And despite what the growling peeps in this thread say, it is one of the downfalls for retaining people in this game.

The need to have X number of skill points to be a part of a corp is deeply rooted in the fact that the players of EVE are a paranoid bunch and for good reason. The players themselves have created a atmosphere of distrust among themselves due to the fact that nobody can trust anyone. 99.9% of the people that play EVE maybe decent folk in the real world, but in this game they become back stabbing, low life cheating scum, from Rat **** Alley. They will, and do take advantage of anyone and everyone if it means getting ISK. The players made the game the way it is and it is hard for a new player to understand that the reason why they are not likely to be allowed to join a decent corp is because the players of this game are - paranoid! 1st rule of EVE - can anyone tell me what it is? Sure you can - "Don't trust anyone!" It is there for a reason. So OP, don't feel bad that you can't join a large decent Corp, it's just the nature of the game and the people that play it. A player with less than 5mil SP is not likely to get into a decent size good corp because you are a potential threat - you could be a spy, you could be a player looking to take revenge, you could be a scammer, you could be a thief, or an AWOX'er. There needs to be some information in the new player experience to make new players aware of this - but alas there is not. So to you players coming down on the OP for her opinion on this - cut her some slack, she is new, and doesn't understand that we're all a bunch of paranoid gamers that play a game that instills insecurity and distrust - especially distrust to those we do not know.

Anyway OP, EVE is a game of patience and tedium(that rewards you for your patience and frustrations in subtle ways), if you think it is anything like the trailers where ships are diving in and out of asteroid fields and flying in between the super structures of huge space stations with exciting combat(like you might find in an FPS style space sim), look elsewhere - EVE is not that game.

Ponies!  We need more ponies!

Jenn aSide
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#157 - 2013-04-15 18:20:49 UTC
Khira Kitamatsu wrote:
You know despite the growling of the usual forum peeps about the OP and the OP's opinion of the game regarding the new player experience, she is partially right. Space combat in EVE isn't really all that exciting. WoW's combat is more engaging than EVE's. LOL! Anyone that plays EVE knows and understands this - EVE's combat is just what it is - and we've come to accept it because we've grown accustomed to its pace. For a new player though - think about it from their perspective. It is slow and it is not exciting in the least. It is what it is. Trying to make it seem like it is something more than what it is - makes you look silly.


This is just your opinion, and an bad one at that.

WoW pvp never ever made me sweat or shake, EVE pvp does that.

I've blind jump MACAHARIELS into lowsec (when i was young and didn't know better) and made it back to the gate in structure. I've survived attempted awoxing of my vindicator by fighting my way through a bunch of stealth bombers. I've run 20 jumps through null sec at the tail end of a retreating fleet with Goon 'ceptors hot on my tail. And I've been scanned down in null sec plexes flying 2 billion isk worth of golem and 1.5 bil worth of Tengu, lost the tengu but got the Golem out, took 2 fleet stabbers and a freaking Vulture down doing it.

The WHOLE time those things and many others were happening, i was in full butt-clinch mode because I spent hour after hour after hour ratting/missuioning/incursioning up all those ships and losing them would have been painful.

Few other games can do that because few other games make you WORK for your stuff and few other games make you lose your stuff like EVE does. If you haven't experience "Cadiac Arrest EVE" you've simply been playing it wrong.

Quote:

Plus, new players often find the slow grind of earning skill points to much to deal with, especially when they first get into the game. This is nothing new, we've all seen hundreds of post regarding this topic. In fact CCP has listened and tried to ease the initial grind by removing players need to skill up attributes - remember? To say she is unwarranted in her gripe with the way skills are earned in this game is silly because it has always been an ongoing issue in the game with new players, and is one of the main reasons why so many people fail to stick with the game. EVE is a trial of patience. It takes a special person to deal with the slow slog of earning skill points - not everyone can do it. Do not beret her/him because she is one of the "majority" of gamers that cannot cope with the way skill points are earned in this game, and she/he has every right to have an opinion on it and to voice that opinion. And despite what the growling peeps in this thread say, it is one of the downfalls for retaining people in this game.


Good, if they can't handle a little waiting, they need to be playing something else. EVE is good and most MMOs are crap because EVE is fairly exclusive. You can either be Exclusive and epic (HARVARD) or just let anyone in and be Meh (ANY COMMUNITY COLLEGE).

Quote:

Anyway OP, EVE is a game of patience and tedium(that rewards you for your patience and frustrations in subtle ways), if you think it is anything like the trailers where ships are diving in and out of asteroid fields and flying in between the super structures of huge space stations with exciting combat, you might find in an FPS style space sim, look elsewhere - EVE is not that game.
\

And filly you say something that isn't off the wall silly. Congrats.
Karl Hobb
Imperial Margarine
#158 - 2013-04-15 18:25:43 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
The WHOLE time those things and many others were happening, i was in full butt-clinch mode

People with weak sphincters shouldn't be playing EVE.

A professional astro-bastard was not available so they sent me.

Jenn aSide
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#159 - 2013-04-15 18:31:19 UTC
Karl Hobb wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
The WHOLE time those things and many others were happening, i was in full butt-clinch mode

People with weak sphincters shouldn't be playing EVE.


I have Deadpspace Sphincter, saving for officer Bung-hole in the near future.
Karl Hobb
Imperial Margarine
#160 - 2013-04-15 18:38:35 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Deadpspace Sphincter

While definitely EVE, this also conjures images of a chili and Pabst day-after. I salute you, sir.

A professional astro-bastard was not available so they sent me.