These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Odyssey] Ship Resistance Bonuses

First post First post
Author
Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#421 - 2013-04-14 04:18:06 UTC
Snapper Pumpkinpuss wrote:
Snowflake reporting in and with that statement you just described yourself as anouther idiot....Because you dont get the math 560 lqr X 430 lky divided by 45 HNB and you would know that it matters to new players....Ftard ....look chuckles get a life if you dont understand that CCP only Nerfs and doesnt make it better for new players this site will die

Strong bonuses that older players are more poised to be able to take advantage of do not help new players.
Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#422 - 2013-04-14 04:23:48 UTC
Akturous wrote:

2nd.

Very uncreative nerf this. How about making remote repair effects stacking penalised, possibly with different stacking numbers for capital and sub-cap? Instantly fix slow cats.

This only affects the issues of remote reps. The other issues would remain unadressed. This includes the issue of local reps, specifically the similarity in performance with active rep bonused ships while providing superior buffer at the same time.
Toshaheri Talvinen
Tritanium Industries and Technology
Goonswarm Federation
#423 - 2013-04-14 04:39:37 UTC
Van Mathias wrote:
Askulf, you privately suggested to me that this nerf in combination with a 10% omni resist boost for all battleships might be a good combination. I would like to publicly offer support to this idea, because it's a good one. There is an imbalance between BS hulls, but BS hulls really need to be made tougher in comparison to smaller ship classes. There just isn't enough right now to differentiate them from Navy BC's at this point.

Edit: In fact, I'm might be a good idea to look at having a different base resist layout for each class size of ship. It would add some variety, and make balancing different classes of ship against each other easier and more granular.

This idea. This is a good idea. Battleships are falling behind the curve ball. There will soon be no reason to fly them due to the tank of a battlecruiser and faction battlecruiser being so close.

Battleships should be able to tank more than any other subcap ship in my opinion, while not being able to hit smaller vessels particularly well. Hitting battlecruisers for nearly full damage is a reasonable idea in my book, because many have immense tanks. But once you fall below that, I would expect battleships to have difficulty killing anything below (frigs, dessies, and cruisers). Fix the EHP gap.

And as far as the resist nerf goes, I agree with the poster that says we need to fix remote reps, not nerf resistances. If you find a particular situation in which something is "overpowered" then adjust that specfic situation (remote reps in this case). Because if you mess with something as broad as native resistance bonuses, you are going to affect many more outcomes than you had in mind to change.

My two cents.

- - Tosh
Ruze
Next Stage Initiative
#424 - 2013-04-14 04:42:49 UTC
Snowflake reporting in and with that statement you just described yourself as anouther idiot....Because you dont get the math 560 lqr X 430 lky divided by 45 HNB and you would know that it matters to new players....Ftard ....look chuckles get a life if you dont understand that CCP only Nerfs and doesnt make it better for new players this site will die

10 years.

I've been on here, in one form or another, for at least eight of that.

Why is that important? Because this 'you guys don't know your business, I am a business owner and know more, this will ruin eve, yadda yadda yadda' spiel your on right now? Been done. Not fresh. Not even close to new. And unarguably, proven wrong.

Oh, I think you might be right on one account, that they are trying to push new players (under a few months) out of bs's and into smaller ships where they might actually be able to develop the in-game skills to fit them correctly.

The difference you and I have, though, is I personally have argued FOR that change, to make it better on new players. Cause an ignorant newb flying a battleship fitted with undersized guns and tier 1 modules is waiting for his day to be seriously ruined, and we all know it. You have to push them out of the larger ships, make them less useful. Not to make it harder, but to make it BETTER.

As much as I disagree at times about what CCP chooses to do, the proof is that EvE continues to grow and improve, year on and year off, even in one of the worst generations for computer gaming since before the Comadore.

I don't argue your math. I argue that you don't have perspective. And, your a flake.

Don't be ashamed.

If you're driven to threaten others with harm or violence because of what they do in game, you can't separate fantasy from reality. That "griefer/thief" is probably more sane than you are. How screwed up is that?

Ruze
Next Stage Initiative
#425 - 2013-04-14 04:46:20 UTC
Tyberius Franklin wrote:

Strong bonuses that older players are more poised to be able to take advantage of do not help new players.

To be the herp-derp one here, EVERY bonus on EVERY ship is better for older players.

Not much of a bonus usually, but a bonus nonetheless. This, of course, is the way the progression of the game is designed.

I know it's obvious and point blank and sounds like I'm preaching to the choir, but I thought maybe some of the other posters here might need their memory refreshed on how silly it sounds to argue against that.

If you're driven to threaten others with harm or violence because of what they do in game, you can't separate fantasy from reality. That "griefer/thief" is probably more sane than you are. How screwed up is that?

Leskit
Pure Victory
#426 - 2013-04-14 05:49:28 UTC
Pelea Ming wrote:

Actually, a friend of mine who is a Loki pilot that had matching skills with me (a Legion pilot) once sat down and figured out comparable fits between the two for PvP, and what we ended up with was the loki ended up with about 1/3 more tank but almost half the DPS. Then of course, we had to test them out and set to each other... I'll wait a few days to see what some people think the outcome should be before I reveal it :D

Yeah, I fly the legion, ham tengu (for shield fleets), and many in my corp fly loki's, and my toon is just starting to use them. The resistance profile is quite nice coupled with its low signature. My concern is that they're the only two truly viable defense subs. The sig radius subsystem? laughable.
On a side note, this is also going to hit all the passive tanked ships out there. regen tanking c1-c3 wh's is very doable, but in most cases it's only through the use of a ship with a resistance bonus (loki, gila, tengu, drake). I've been against passive shield tanking more often than not, but this is a little niche that really only works in lower-class pve.
Longdrinks
Zero Fun Allowed
xqtywiznalamywmodxfhhopawzpqyjdwrpeptuaenabjawdzku
#427 - 2013-04-14 05:55:08 UTC
good change, keep strong against the crybabies fozzie
Travasty Space
Pilots of Epic
#428 - 2013-04-14 06:39:30 UTC
Just to give some perceptive on the matter, an Abaddon today with a DC2 and 2 T2 eanms with max skills has the following resists: 81.3 EM/75.7 Therm/71.9 Kin/70.1 Explosive. After the changes the abaddon gets 80 EM/74.1 Therm/70.1 Kin/68.1 Explosive.

So to all of you that are saying that "OMG we are losing 5-6-7% of our tank!" are flat out wrong. You forget that you are unlikely to change the tanking mods just cause of the bonus reduction so while you lose some % from the resist bonus the modules cover a portion of that due to how resist stacking works(if you start with 50% resist and add a 50% hardener you don't get 100% resist, you get 75%).
Van Mathias
Dead Space Continuum
#429 - 2013-04-14 06:51:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Van Mathias
Yes, but at 50% resists, you have doubled your EHP, and at 75%, you have quadrupled it. Each additional point of resist is more powerful than the last. This gets really broken on subcaps above 80%.

To be honest, subcap resists should be capped at 85% at most, capitals at 90% and super resists at 95% (Although this would necessitate rebalancing several tanks).
LOL56
STK Scientific
The Initiative.
#430 - 2013-04-14 06:56:39 UTC
You know, this change stings a little bit on my brand new triage Archon. It was certainly not the balance change I was hoping for. but what the hell, lets try it out. That said, ships like HICs, maulers, and really bad Caldari T2 2xoptimal hulls need to be watched so this nerf doesn't knock them out of usefulness or grind them down further. I mean it's hardly likely the eagle needs a nerf, but perhaps you have a magic fix in the wings for medium railguns.
Chief Admiral Spacegoat
Q.Q.
#431 - 2013-04-14 07:42:43 UTC
Quote:
Extending armor and shield repair bonuses to apply to remote reps would bring them much closer to balance with resist bonuses, but would also further empower the current remote rep tactics that are as strong as we feel we can allow them to be.

Given Fozzies statement that we cannot expect remote reps bonuses to be extended to non-resist bonus ships because it is too "strong" then at least trying to spread the resist bonuses more evenly among the races so any race can have a few ships that can fly fleet doctrines. Gallente, for example, has only one damn ship, the Proteus, that gets resist bonus that can get those remote reps.

That is one of the most glaring imbalances of the game.

If you aren't going to fix remote reps then at least balance the ships that have the bonus among the races.

The truth is this is not a big enough nerf to balance the strength of remote reps to bonused resistance based tanks. Also it's an indirect and blanket nerf and as a result will hit some weak ships too that didn't have great tanks to begin with like the loki. The eagle and nighthawk seems weird to be nerfing too. On the other hand it's not a strong enough nerf to stop the dominance of certain carriers.

Nerf is trying to address a real problem, however it's indirect (problem is really that only some ships benefit hugely from remote reps and those are concentrated in two races) and it's blanket (nerfing some ships that are already weak and not nerfing some of the strongest enough).

Bandalon Ominus
The Graduates
The Initiative.
#432 - 2013-04-14 07:50:35 UTC
If you're going to reduce the +5% shield bonus on the wyvern please give us a shield implant set like the armor capitals have?
Naomi Knight
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#433 - 2013-04-14 08:19:22 UTC
Bandalon Ominus wrote:
If you're going to reduce the +5% shield bonus on the wyvern please give us a shield implant set like the armor capitals have?

better if ccp make it to be able to speed tank , cause thats what shield tanks are for arent they?:O
Joan Greywind
The Lazy Crabs
#434 - 2013-04-14 08:20:01 UTC
Well this is probably selfish (training perfect amarr/caldari capital and super takes really a long time, and we all did it for one reason only, for those resist bonuses), and since capitals are different from subcaps, and so few (1 each race) can't we buff the other carriers? The thanatos can get extra damage bonus, and the niddy can get a small hp buffer bonus (make it able to tank more alpha, fitting since it's minmatar). The problem with carriers and supers, is that you dont have any other option and skilling to them takes a really long time, so even the smallest nerf will hurt (for instance the nerf although 1% will be the difference of amarr carrier 5 and 4 which take months to train), whereas battleship 5 will be good for two other battleships, maurader, and blackops.
MisterAl tt1
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#435 - 2013-04-14 08:41:20 UTC
Well, it looks like most of the changes, that this goon is bringing are aimed at ships blowing up faster, then they used to be. Might be useful for blob-vs-skill and another blow on those trying to PVP solo in pimped ships.
Bandalon Ominus
The Graduates
The Initiative.
#436 - 2013-04-14 09:32:06 UTC
Naomi Knight wrote:
Bandalon Ominus wrote:

better if ccp make it to be able to speed tank , cause thats what shield tanks are for arent they?:O

Speedtanking a supercapital?
Serg Lemox
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#437 - 2013-04-14 09:53:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Serg Lemox
The archon and chimera are the only carriers that can do decent triage. Nerfing their resistance is nerfing triage.It's such a niche strategy, making it weaker would only make it harder to use.

Any plans to make triage popular or viable in the era of larger fleets?

Then there are issues of active tanking ships. Active tanking is already highly difficult to do. Resistance bonus ships are popular for active tanking. Are you intentionally trying to make active tanking less popular somehow?
Jessica Danikov
Network Danikov
#438 - 2013-04-14 10:13:23 UTC
I think the very obvious point here is that it's bone-headedly stupid to nerf a bonus you feel is overpowered, because all the ships with the 'overpowered' bonus will, or at least should have, been balanced with that overpowered stat in mind.

By nerfing this bonus, you are in essence blanket-nerfing 44 ships without any thought to the consequences for those ships. To some degree, the bonus is entirely irrelevant- you don't say 'the Rokh's resistance bonus is too strong', most of the time you're assuming all level V skills and just say 'the Rokh's resistances are too strong'. Like the cov-ops CPU change, you may say 'the progression of this bonus is wrong' and make the bonus weaker so that, at low skills, the ship is still usable, but you compensate the hull for the loss of bonus to give a smoother, less pronounced procession.

Each ship is balanced by itself. I don't understand why this is suddenly being thrown out the window.
Jonas Sukarala
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#439 - 2013-04-14 10:14:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonas Sukarala
LOL56 wrote:
You know, this change stings a little bit on my brand new triage Archon. It was certainly not the balance change I was hoping for. but what the hell, lets try it out. That said, ships like HICs, maulers, and really bad Caldari T2 2xoptimal hulls need to be watched so this nerf doesn't knock them out of usefulness or grind them down further. I mean it's hardly likely the eagle needs a nerf, but perhaps you have a magic fix in the wings for medium railguns.

ach.. i think HACS need to be taken away from sniping as they can't compete with ABC's in anyway really they should head in the direction of the deimos/vaga.

'Tech3 ships need to be put down, like a rabid dog drooling everywhere in the house, they are out of line' CCP Ytterbium Nerf missile range into place where is the TD missile change?  ..projectiles should use capacitor. ABC's should be T2 HABC and nerf web strength its still too high

Naomi Knight
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#440 - 2013-04-14 11:11:06 UTC
Jonas Sukarala wrote:

ach.. i think HACS need to be taken away from sniping as they can't compete with ABC's in anyway really they should head in the direction of the deimos/vaga.

so 8 ship should compete for the same role? that is impossible to balance , especially as that role are already favour by matar/gall here deimos/vaga, so what would they become a weaker version of those ships?