These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Moving All Level 4 Agents to Low-Sec

First post
Author
Skeln Thargensen
Doomheim
#161 - 2013-04-13 19:27:42 UTC
if they made the LP payouts anywhere near as good as L5 missions I would totally run them in low. what's the best you can make in a one room blapfest like the blockade? 15000?

forums.  serious business.

Estella Osoka
Cranky Bitches Who PMS
#162 - 2013-04-13 19:43:46 UTC
Skeln Thargensen wrote:
if they made the LP payouts anywhere near as good as L5 missions I would totally run them in low. what's the best you can make in a one room blapfest like the blockade? 15000?

Want better LP rewards? Join FW. One FW L4 mission can pay you upwards of 80,000 LP. Not to mention the LP costs for items in the FW LP store are a lot lower than you typical npc corp. Example: Navy Mega costs around 600k LP in a typical LP store, but in Gallente FW LP store it only costs 250k.

You want incentive to go to lowsec, there it is.
Skeln Thargensen
Doomheim
#163 - 2013-04-13 20:03:21 UTC
Estella Osoka wrote:
Skeln Thargensen wrote:

Want better LP rewards? Join FW. One FW L4 mission can pay you upwards of 80,000 LP. Not to mention the LP costs for items in the FW LP store are a lot lower than you typical npc corp. Example: Navy Mega costs around 600k LP in a typical LP store, but in Gallente FW LP store it only costs 250k.

You want incentive to go to lowsec, there it is.

yeah, might have to try that out. I've run the novice plexes and L1s with a minmatar alt before but I was falling prone to piracy somewhat. but if I can take my sentries anyone popping in to say hi will catch a burn Twisted

Jame Jarl Retief
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#164 - 2013-04-14 01:46:35 UTC
Mei Sui wrote:
Ready the flamethrowers, but I think it's time to consider moving the level 4 agents to low sec.

See, this is the kind of thing that makes me rub my temples and shake my head.

Repeat after me: you CAN NOT force players into doing something they don't want to do.

Let's be honest - if someone wanted to mission in low sec, they would already be missioning in low sec. Heck, FW was basically a way to print insane amounts of ISK with minimal, virtually nonexistent risk.

Someone who doesn't want to mission in low sec, will NEVER mission in low sec, no matter how big a carrot you dangle in front of them. Well, within limits, of course. If a single mission awarded 10 billion ISK, people would do it, as doing it once would more than offset any losses, but realistically, there's no reasonable reward that could be offered that would make people come to low sec if they weren't willing before.

What it would do, however, is kill high sec mission running community. Which, to be fair, is fairly small to start with, but still, subs are subs (and many of those mission runners run multiple subs, if for no other reason than to speedily salvage).

In short, it's not a solution, because it just plum won't work. Secondly, it's not a solution because there's no problem to start with - it's just a different play style. And once you start to force people out of their chosen playstyles in an MMO that claims to be a sandbox...well...it never ends well.
Vimsy Vortis
Shoulda Checked Local
Break-A-Wish Foundation
#165 - 2013-04-14 01:59:58 UTC
If missions were structured in such a way that in order to do them effectively you didn't need to be flying a ridiculously fit, incredibly vulnerable ship that can't defend itself against other players then it might be appropriate to move level 4 missions to lowsec.

Regardless of whether or not mission runners would actually go to lowsec to run level 4s all that would do is introduce a bunch of totally defenseless targets to lowsec and that doesn't seem particularly valuable to me.

I'm all for looking at highsec PVE income and adding additional risk to it, but I think moving level 4 missions to lowsec is probably not the way to do it.
Katran Luftschreck
Royal Ammatar Engineering Corps
#166 - 2013-04-14 02:31:28 UTC
Mei Sui wrote:
Ready the flamethrowers, but I think it's time to consider moving the level 4 agents to low sec.

Alright I will spend some time seriously thinking... NO.

Next?

http://youtu.be/t0q2F8NsYQ0

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#167 - 2013-04-14 02:33:40 UTC
The only possible response to this thread now or in the future:

Monty Python

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#168 - 2013-04-14 02:35:35 UTC
Jame Jarl Retief wrote:
Mei Sui wrote:

Repeat after me: you CAN NOT force players into doing something they don't want to do.

For real. I go playing in Low Sec when and if I feel like it. That's what it's there for. This subject is seriously just too bizarre.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Caleb Seremshur
Commando Guri
Guristas Pirates
#169 - 2013-04-14 14:08:40 UTC
Rexxorr wrote:
Nothing much would change, a few might unsub but most would just farm lvl 3 missions. Then in a few months we would have whine threads about how lvl 3 missions are to much isk for too little risk.

This has happened before with lvl 5 missions being removed from high sec completely, The result is almost no one runs lvl 5 missions anymore.

This is mostly just thinly disguised whine about not having enough baby seals to club, Really move missions ? If isk is truly a problem, just reduce npc bounties...

How about keeping faction patrols in lowsec? They are, after all, still empire space. There might be no concord but full-blown pirates will eventually get mobbed by faction police.

Since we're on that topic, make faction police pay bounties in lowsec, to provide a legitmate excuse for fighting them.

Next we make it that because lowsec is about increased risk, lowsec faction patrols will have sleeper ai, use drones, scram/web, use ECM and generally fight like players, they will viciously target neutral pirates, enemy FW players and AWOXers.

Next we increase the density of mission hubs slightly and introduce a techmoon or two to the empire territories.

Since people whining about L4's want more nullsec space to be a pack of slavering yuppies in, let's make the barrier to hitting highsec a little higher for this group of people whom, aside from their sec status, have no limitations to participating in highsec/lowsec activities.
Altrue
Exploration Frontier inc
Tactical-Retreat
#170 - 2013-04-14 14:28:06 UTC
The fight against inflation should be done by nerfing null sec sov-space bounty revenue.
Moving lv4 missions to low sec will just make people cry without adressing the problem.

Signature Tanking Best Tanking

[Ex-F] CEO - Eve-guides.fr

Ultimate Citadel Guide - 2016 EVE Career Chart

Skeln Thargensen
Doomheim
#171 - 2013-04-14 14:56:26 UTC
Altrue wrote:
The fight against inflation should be done by nerfing null sec sov-space bounty revenue.
Moving lv4 missions to low sec will just make people cry without adressing the problem.

Indeed. And yet even as we speak they organise their union activity against paying residents of New Eden. What we need is some form of 'Space Thatcher' to make the CSM more accountable to all eve players.

KIller Wabbit
MEME Thoughts
#172 - 2013-04-14 19:57:16 UTC
Op has a great idea! I love it - ship prices would fall like a rock! Why? Because you would convert a bunch of mission runners to miners.

Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#173 - 2013-04-14 23:50:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Mara Rinn
stoicfaux wrote:
Don't use a bigger stick, instead give everyone else a bigger carrot. The easier, sub-saving way is to make everything else (i.e. Incursions, FW, null-sec, industry, trading) more profitable than level 4s. Let (human) nature run its course.

CCP tried this with faction warfare button-spinning. It didn't work as well as many people would have expected. Lowsec filled up with 3-day-old button spinning alts who would warp to a safespot the moment anyone entered local.

The greatest problem with lowsec from a carebear's perspective is the people in lowsec who will shoot everything that moves (and if it doesn't move, they'll bump it so it does move, then shoot it because it's moving).

I think the carrot needs to be offered to people in lowsec to not shoot some people. Why would a trigger happy PvPer decide to not shoot something? What sort of reward could be on offer that would be sweeter than exploding someone else's ship?
Veronica Kerrigan
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#174 - 2013-04-14 23:52:45 UTC
I believe we already have high risk high reward missions that are in lowsec only. They are called level 5 missions.
Katran Luftschreck
Royal Ammatar Engineering Corps
#175 - 2013-04-14 23:53:12 UTC
A more honest thread title would have been "Moving All Level 4 Mission Runners to Another Game."

CCP's accounting department would like a word with you.

http://youtu.be/t0q2F8NsYQ0

Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#176 - 2013-04-14 23:55:50 UTC
As for the idea of moving L4s to lowsec: L5s are already in lowsec, as are incursions that pay out 50% more than hisec incursions. Very few people engage in these activities. I wonder why that is?

The carrot just cannot be big enough to draw risk-averse players into low sec to learn how to PvP. Missions to lowsec will be skipped and abandoned. Moving industry to lowsec will benefit the people who are already in lowsec and know how to keep new folks off their lawn, meanwhile hisec will simply starve and the game will die.

Depriving hisec players of income will lead to hisec players not having the ability to fund their excursions into lowsec.

Ultimately, the problem with lowsec is the people in lowsec.
bufnitza calatoare
#177 - 2013-04-14 23:56:56 UTC
ok boys and girls.

back in 2005 upto 2008

I ran missions in low sec or null sec.

why did I do this??

better lp rewards and income.
and low sec was must more empty back then and if you played your cards right and befriended the locals. you usually got left alone if you kept your head on.

Did I lose ships to low sec pvpers? yes and no.
sometimes it was bad luck and what not.
Did I ever get scanned down? nope.

places I missioned off of the top of me head were.

Ziriert
Hophib << lost a sacriledge here to dumn luck
Yahyerer
Gyerzen << my 1st pvp was in this system.. I killed me a loot thief lol
Aranir << lost a raven to a sacriledge and his 2 friends and after he dide they was on grid.
and last but not least.
G-0Q86 < lost an apoc to a random gate camp.
lost other shiops tooo but that's the part and parcel of low/null missions.

would I do them now days??? lol nope.
bufnitza calatoare
#178 - 2013-04-15 18:30:52 UTC  |  Edited by: bufnitza calatoare
Mara Rinn wrote:
As for the idea of moving L4s to lowsec: L5s are already in lowsec, as are incursions that pay out 50% more than hisec incursions. Very few people engage in these activities. I wonder why that is?

The carrot just cannot be big enough to draw risk-averse players into low sec to learn how to PvP. Missions to lowsec will be skipped and abandoned. Moving industry to lowsec will benefit the people who are already in lowsec and know how to keep new folks off their lawn, meanwhile hisec will simply starve and the game will die.

Depriving hisec players of income will lead to hisec players not having the ability to fund their excursions into lowsec.

Ultimately, the problem with lowsec is the people in lowsec.

I agree.. don't matter what ccp does to make null or low sec mission desirable, people just wont go. and the more desirable ccp makes it. the more that pvp corps will exploit it.

imo null sec and low sec missions too a HUGE hit when cco made most missions out of system.
that's why null sec and low sec missions rocked back in the day.
Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#179 - 2013-04-15 18:36:45 UTC
bufnitza calatoare wrote:
ok boys and girls.

back in 2005 upto 2008

I ran missions in low sec or null sec.

why did I do this??

better lp rewards and income.
and low sec was must more empty back then and if you played your cards right and befriended the locals. you usually got left alone if you kept your head on.

Did I lose ships to low sec pvpers? yes and no.
sometimes it was bad luck and what not.
Did I ever get scanned down? nope.

places I missioned off of the top of me head were.

Ziriert
Hophib << lost a sacriledge here to dumn luck
Yahyerer
Gyerzen << my 1st pvp was in this system.. I killed me a loot thief lol
Aranir << lost a raven to a sacriledge and his 2 friends and after he dide they was on grid.
and last but not least.
G-0Q86 < lost an apoc to a random gate camp.
lost other shiops tooo but that's the part and parcel of low/null missions.

would I do them now days??? lol nope.

Back in those days, when we were strapping rockets onto pterodactyls, not everybody and every thing in lowsec was attacked. In fact the small fish were left alone and this was BEFORE WTZ.

Yes that's right, before WTZ.

It was not like some nullsec napfest though. Some of the first skills you learn is how to use AB/MWD.

As Matrix Skye likes to say when people complain about carebears and lowsec's lack of activity or targets: "You people won lowsec. You killed everybody. Congratulations." (Paraphrasing here).

Back in the day there were pirates and they went after big fish who should know better (and did) and they lived off loot and ransom. Small fish were left alone - griefing a noob out of the game (and therefore less targets in the future) was not worth the KM. This is why we don't shoot baby ducks and most game animals have size limits. If you were a big wheel you could make arrangements or beat the pirates. A good time was had by all.

Now it's simply killmail whoring, anything and everything. And when someone does get their act together and tries to break up a camp, what happens? They all jump into an Orca and that jumps into highsec.

Meanwhile, the scanning mechanics, though opening up a great avenue towards exploration that have been my career, made it so that any monkey can scan down any ship.

Now in that latter part, the gate camp was the hardest part to deal with, but any ship equipped to run, or a pilot with skills in how to handle these situations, had a chance (a chance is the important part. You play poker for a chance to win, not to just hand over money) to make it to their mission. Then there was the gauntlet run of getting out later. It was not a picnic, but it was not a lose lose situation either.

Scanning was the end of low-sec mission running, for it became immensely easier to scan a target down, but there was nothing to help the target. The target has the same mechanics for a decade.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Darius Brannock
Doomheim
#180 - 2013-04-15 21:17:59 UTC
I think the only way to get more people going to losec/null from high sec is to simply fix the insurance system. I am not going to risk my expensive ship for an insurance payback of a few percent of the cost of the ship plus modules - that's a joke.

However, if insurance worked something like the following, I would easily consider risking mission/exploration ships outside high sec:

1. Initially pay a fee of 10% of the hull value to start an insurance contract for 90 days (or however many days seems right)

2. Anytime during the next 90 days that the player loses the ship the following will happen:

a. ship loss will still drop some modules and some cargo hold items as it does now.
b. the player will pay a 10% service fee based on the estimated market value of the ship and all its fittings at time of loss.
b. the player will receive a new ship back as it was before the loss - minus the fitted modules that dropped with the wreck.
c. they cannot access the ship until they pay the service fee.
d. player will not receive any payouts on or return of cargo hold items.
e. if player has access to the wreck before someone else gets to it, then they can recover the dropped modules and cargo
items that were not destroyed. If player has no access to said wreck, then they must find replacements themselves.

3. This can happen an unlimited number of times during the 90 days of the insurance contract.

If my auto insurance company only gave me the option of insurance like that provided in Eve, I would tell them to **** off. Just because someone was exploiting Eve insurance in the past does not mean it cannot be remade into a useful tool to encourage more MMO and risk taking in the game. People will still get to blow up ships, some stuff will still drop, and it will still be cost the loser some hard earned ISKs - but not their whole ship.