These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Odyssey] Ship Resistance Bonuses

First post First post
Author
None ofthe Above
#221 - 2013-04-12 22:36:43 UTC  |  Edited by: None ofthe Above
Get most of the way -- but not all the way through -- your balancing, and then make sweeping changes to all of a class of ships.

What could go wrong?

-1 Do not like.

The only end-game content in EVE Online is the crap that makes you rage quit.

Van Mathias
Dead Space Continuum
#222 - 2013-04-12 22:40:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Van Mathias
Who needed to say it directly? If a CCP rep puts out a post saying "We are going to nerf resists on a significant fraction of available hulls", don't you think that someone hearing that would say to themselves "Well, then highest end of resistance based combat has a power issue in general!". Especially when the OP describes the multitude of ways a resist bonus is better than other bonuses.

It's true, for many of the ships listed. As I said before, hull bonus changes are political in a way that other stats are not, because hull bonuses define a ship more than any other stat.

Also, I never said "Resists in general are the probem!". I said "If resists in general are the problem." You seem to be unable to discriminate between a conditional statement and an outright assertion. Given the large number of ships receiving this nerf, its easy to infer the idea.

Also, considering I'm a Rokh pilot, I know about the 3 invuln/midslot tradeoff, and I never run more than 2 because I don't run in big gangs. But in big gangs where you see lots of Rokhs, 3 invulns + LSE's is far more common because those BS's don't need to equip a Cap or shield booster. One of my problems with the proposed change is 5% off the top of these ships doesn't change much with that fit, but screws over every other viable fit quite a bit. That extra 5% allows for a great deal of fitting flexibility, and it will be sorely missed.

In short, CCP has said that massed Rokhs and Abaddons are too tough in those numbers, and has responded with this. It won't fix the problems in those fleets, and more aggressive nerfs will come in, further screwing small time players. So this isn't just about my personal drama over a single change. Indeed, the moment the Rokh and Abaddon changes came out, I said to myself "They are gonna do it to all resist bonuses eventually.". Lo and behold, not 3 days later this thread announces just that.

However, I recognize that the change I suggested will have adverse effects on the ships that I am not directly considering, but right now I cant propose different resist mods for different ship sizes, as Battleship class ships would be balanced out by a resist mod nerf, whereas smaller ships have a problem with it. In short: not enough granularity to solve the problem.

I am willing to accept that nerfing resist mods will be counterproductive in certain cases, but I also maintain that the proposed changes will not solve the problems CCP is trying to solve.

Note that nerfing the effect of the module may not make sense, splitting the mod into 3 sizes and changing the base cycle cost for each size certainly does. Invulns are way too cheap cap wise for what you get at this point on the large subcap end of ships.

As for math, check this out:

3x Invuln Rokh before CCP changes: Base * .75 * .7 * .739 * .829 = Base * .32163127 or ~.323
3x Invuln Rokh after CCP changes: Base * .8 * .7 *.739 * .829 = Base * .34307336 0r ~.343

Thusly, you have a total change of about 2% for large fleet rokhs. This is easily absorbed by current loadouts for this role.

But lets look at my solo/small gang rokh, which has no LSE's, and only 1 invuln:
1x Invuln Rokh Before CCP changes: Base * .75 * .7 = Base * .525
1x Invuln Rokh After CCP changes: Base * .8 * .7 = Base * .56

3.5%! Thats nearly a 80% marginal difference. I'm disregarding the effect of LSE's here becuase Cap and Shield boosters balance that out. This proposed change is almost twice as punishing on my preferred Rokh fit, which is not the targeted fit. Of course, the Rokh with 3 invulns has 15 to 20 more points of resist, but thats the benefit you get in exchange for those slots.
theelusiveyoda
Death Troopers
PURPLE HELMETED WARRIORS
#223 - 2013-04-12 22:45:40 UTC  |  Edited by: theelusiveyoda
I can only echo what others have said in previous posts, this change is terrible, you seriously cant apply this change to all those ships and except a good outcome as a whole load of those ships are going to become seriously underpowered compared to there counterparts.

Each Ship Should Be addressed By themselves not all together just because they all share the same bonus, i can see this as a even further Nerf to the tanking abilities of Super Carries.

Here is Some Raw Numbers for Example, im using Super Capitals as a example because it shows just how much of a change 1% per level effects the ehp:

All Examples Below Is Using T2 Modules with no other bonuses and Using Eve Fitting Tool for a guide for Simplicity:

Aeon:
1 Em Hardener, 1 Explosive Hardener, 1 Thermic, 1 Kinetic Harderner, 2 Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane, 1 dcu II, 1 armor layering membrane and T2 Trimarks:

From 16,367,975 EHP to 13,094,379 EHP

Wyvern
Using 2 Em Ward Fields, 1 Thermic Field, 1 Kinetic Field, 1 Explosive Field, 2 Invul Fields, 3 Power Diagnostics, 1 Damgage Control, 3 T2 Large Core Defense Field Extenders

21,942,040 EHP To 20,720,870 EHP

Loosing more than 3 million ehp on a Aeon just speaks for itself.

I was actually going to buy a wyvern before but now i wont even bother.
Rented
Hunter Heavy Industries
#224 - 2013-04-12 22:48:40 UTC
Edward Pierce wrote:
CCP Fozzie wrote:

In practice that means that for pure amount repped over time, a 25% resistance bonus is only 3% less powerful than a 37.5% rep bonus.
This is one of the main reasons that resistance bonuses completely overshadow local repair bonuses.

This is so misguided it's scary coming from you Fozzie.
[[states that he disagrees]]

The only good reason resist bonuses completely overshadow local repair bonuses is that they work in every conceivable situation, while local repair bonuses only help when there are no remote repairs present and the incoming damage is not enough to kill you in a couple of cycles of your repair modules.
[[goes on to say the same things Fozzie originally said]]

It's obvious that fleet level RR mechanics need to be looked at, but even after that is eventually addressed, a 4% resist bonus will still completely overshadow the local repair bonus. I'm all for the low hanging fruit, but this change is completely avoiding the real problem.
[[implies that this wont help... then agrees that it will help, but not enough]]

What did I just read? O_o
Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#225 - 2013-04-12 22:53:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Tyberius Franklin
Van Mathias wrote:
...This proposed change is almost twice as punishing on my preferred Rokh fit, which is not the targeted fit. Of course, the Rokh with 3 invulns has 15 to 20 more points of resist, but thats the benefit you get in exchange for those slots.

Why do you think there is a particular fit this was targeting? This nerf affects remote, local and buffer tanks, which encompass most fits and uses.
Pinky Denmark
The Cursed Navy
#226 - 2013-04-12 22:56:01 UTC
Wether the resits bonus on those ships are 20% or 25% doesn't mean a lot to me personally.
However it does seem like a weird thing to nerf the local tanks when the real issue is Remote Reps?

Why don't you just balance out remote repairs instead? Obviously most T1 ships enjoy the logistics a lot, especially if they do not have a tank bonus - however even a few 1 logistics seems to rep unbonused ships fine.

Why not make an effort to limit the power of logistics just a bit? You can start by switching the RR range around so the small modules reach further and the large modules have a shorter range. At the same time you should try to reduce the resist bonus that exist on top of T2 ships with a racial resist boosts and maybe just give them a bigger buffer?

in addition I'd like to hear your opinions about amarr and caldari having the same amount of resist bonus? Afterall armor ships get more buffer for their biggest module (plates vs extender), have a better native resistance.

Furthermore I always thought a 25% shield resist bonus on a caldari ship was like a free T1 invuln field (not using cap ofcourse) and felt that was a bonus making sense since caldari ships don't usually have an abundance of medslots anyway.
The Amarr ships however get the same bonus giving it way better resist than anything a T1 EANM can provide. and thats on top of more armor hitpoints than caldari got shield hitpoints and on top of a better base resistance.

Then ofcourse I know shield tankers have a lot of other differences. But I'd actually try to make a differentiated resist bonus - 3% or 4% for Amarr and 4% or 5% for Caldari. Or at least compensate the caldari ships a lot. Because without a proper resist bonus a ship like the Rokh is gonna be a boring and horrible underpowered ship with a marginal usefull optimal bonus and overpowered attack battlecruisers as an option...

Pinky
Van Mathias
Dead Space Continuum
#227 - 2013-04-12 23:01:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Van Mathias
Wut? What makes you think there isn't a preferred fit, for a given role? If you are in a Rokhblob, you will fit 2 or 3 invulns, 2 or 3 LSE's and 1 or 2 Range mods for sniping in your mids. End of story. There are no more options for this role than what I have listed. Are you so obtuse you can't see that this obviously punishes the ship in one role more than another?
Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#228 - 2013-04-12 23:04:25 UTC
Van Mathias wrote:
Wut? What makes you think there isn't a preferred fit, for a given role? If you are in a Rokhblob, you will fit 2 or 3 invulns, 2 or 3 LSE's and 1 or 2 Range mods for sniping in your mids. End of story. Are you so obtuse you can't see that this obviously punishes the ship in one role more than another?

And they all got nerfed, but your statement was that you were nerfed more that the fit they were targeting. So I ask, what makes you think there was a particular fit they were targeting?
Edward Pierce
State War Academy
Caldari State
#229 - 2013-04-12 23:05:51 UTC
Rented wrote:
Edward Pierce wrote:
CCP Fozzie wrote:

In practice that means that for pure amount repped over time, a 25% resistance bonus is only 3% less powerful than a 37.5% rep bonus.
This is one of the main reasons that resistance bonuses completely overshadow local repair bonuses.

This is so misguided it's scary coming from you Fozzie.
[[states that he disagrees]]

The only good reason resist bonuses completely overshadow local repair bonuses is that they work in every conceivable situation, while local repair bonuses only help when there are no remote repairs present and the incoming damage is not enough to kill you in a couple of cycles of your repair modules.
[[goes on to say the same things Fozzie originally said]]

It's obvious that fleet level RR mechanics need to be looked at, but even after that is eventually addressed, a 4% resist bonus will still completely overshadow the local repair bonus. I'm all for the low hanging fruit, but this change is completely avoiding the real problem.
[[implies that this wont help... then agrees that it will help, but not enough]]

What did I just read? O_o

Fozzie says that one of the main reasons a resist bonus "completely overshadows" a repair bonus is that there is only a 3% difference in their effect to local repairs; this (as I stated) is completely misguided. The only reason resist bonuses "completely overshadow" a repair bonus is that they are useful in every conceivable situation (as I stated).

Yes, nerfing the resist bonus will bring them closer in line (good on you Fozzie) but it will do nothing to address the fact that a resist bonus (yes even 4%) still "completely overshadows" a local repair bonus.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with the change and the reason for the change, but this imbalance issue has been brought up in the Cruiser thread, the Armor tanking thread, the BC thread and the BS thread and all we've gotten back is that the local rep bonus will get some attention eventually.

Now we see a full thread addressing a minor nerf to the resist bonus? That there is what I don't agree with, and thinking that this will have any impact on the rep vs resist imbalance is completely misguided, so much so that I find it scary coming from Fozzie.
Van Mathias
Dead Space Continuum
#230 - 2013-04-12 23:08:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Van Mathias
Because only one Rokh fit/role is problematic game play wise. All other fits are lackluster compared to their competitors, and this change will make the situation worse. You don't see Rokh's pushing out other battleships of the Solo/Small gang ecology in the same way that you see Rokh's and Abaddons pushing out other competitors in the tankfleet + logi meta.
Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#231 - 2013-04-12 23:11:51 UTC
Van Mathias wrote:
Because only one Rokh fit/role is problematic game play wise. All other fits are lackluster compared to their competitors, and this change will make the situation worse. You don't see Rokh's pushing out other battleships of the Solo/Small gang ecology in the same way that you see Rokh's and Abaddons pushing out other competitors in the blaapfleet + logi meta.

If this were limited to the Rokh you might have had a point, but it isn't even limited to the BS class. This clearly can't be targeting blob fleet BS's, much less one fit of one particular BS, when it spans across all ships with the bonus in all classes.
Van Mathias
Dead Space Continuum
#232 - 2013-04-12 23:14:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Van Mathias
The nerf for the Rokh and Abaddon in particular was announced several days before the general resist nerf. In that announcement, Rokh and Abaddon hulls were singled out first. They may not be the prime target overall, but the timing of the announcements doesn't lend this notion credibility.
Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#233 - 2013-04-12 23:16:22 UTC
Edward Pierce wrote:

Fozzie says that one of the main reasons a resist bonus "completely overshadows" a repair bonus is that there is only a 3% difference in their effect to local repairs; this (as I stated) is completely misguided. The only reason resist bonuses "completely overshadow" a repair bonus is that they are useful in every conceivable situation (as I stated).

Yes, nerfing the resist bonus will bring them closer in line (good on you Fozzie) but it will do nothing to address the fact that a resist bonus (yes even 4%) still "completely overshadows" a local repair bonus.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with the change and the reason for the change, but this imbalance issue has been brought up in the Cruiser thread, the Armor tanking thread, the BC thread and the BS thread and all we've gotten back is that the local rep bonus will get some attention eventually.

Now we see a full thread addressing a minor nerf to the resist bonus? That there is what I don't agree with, and thinking that this will have any impact on the rep vs resist imbalance is completely misguided, so much so that I find it scary coming from Fozzie.

The bonus will undoubtedly remain more powerful but I don't believe the point was to have both bonuses be generally as desirable over all, but rather to allow an active tank bonus to be clearly better for active tank setups.
Van Mathias
Dead Space Continuum
#234 - 2013-04-12 23:19:07 UTC
Then why not increase the active tank bonus from 7.5% to 10%, like range bonuses? Oh, right, CCP hates tough tanks on ships.
Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#235 - 2013-04-12 23:21:26 UTC
Van Mathias wrote:
The nerf for the Rokh and Abaddon in particular was announced several days before the general resist nerf. In that announcement, Rokh and Abaddon hulls were singled out first. They may not be the prime target overall, but the timing of the announcements doesn't lend this notion credibility.

Your concept of credibility here is pretty subjective and doesn't agree with the actual result of the proposed nerf. It's clear from their foreshadowing in the relevant BS threads that something was in store for this bonus. We had warning the moment we saw 4% resist bonused ships and CCP's descriptions in those threads but didn't know the scale yet.
Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#236 - 2013-04-12 23:26:35 UTC
Van Mathias wrote:
Then why not increase the active tank bonus from 7.5% to 10%, like range bonuses? Oh, right, CCP hates tough tanks on ships.

It makes active tanking even more unviable on unbonused hulls, could further unbalance ASB's and does nothing to affect the buffer or power of incoming reps on resist bonused ships which they apparently think is too high given the versatility of the bonus.
Van Mathias
Dead Space Continuum
#237 - 2013-04-12 23:27:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Van Mathias
All credibility is subjective, that is the nature of the thing. Anyway, this looks like they are not going to change their minds until they implement this crap alongside Faction BC's and overturn the proverbial table on the current meta. Perhaps when much has been given up for little gain they will reconsider. Or maybe they will decide to nerf it some more and our resist bonus will be 2.5% a level! Exciting! Then Rokh's and Abaddon's won't be overused in large fleets because they won't be worth playing.

Wait, rep bonuses arent good enough to compete with resists, yet at the same time ancillary reps are overpowered? How do you reconcile those 2 positions?

Furthermore, why should using a hull for a strategy that the hull is not bonused for be made viable?
Johnson Oramara
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#238 - 2013-04-12 23:28:44 UTC
After Odyssey hits live....

Less ehp on ships, fights happen slightly closer --> More ships gets blown up
More overpriced ships introduced that are somehow familiar
On average all T1 ship prices will go up
(reserved for more nerfs)
More plexes purchased
CCP happy Blink
Askulf Joringer
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#239 - 2013-04-12 23:30:19 UTC
Admiral Rufus wrote:
Oh yet further destroy solo and small gang PvP by taking our ships that give us time to survive and gtfo of outnumbered engagements. Perhaps I should run a t3 booster to compensate because that obviously puts more money in ccp's pocket for the 2nd account that's required....

How in the **** is nerfing a predominately fleet oriented bonus nerfing small scale pvp?
Hustomte
Veritex Industrial Inc.
#240 - 2013-04-12 23:31:11 UTC
Aww, my Vengeance will no longer be able to tank 200 dps Cry

...Signature...