These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

THE CAT OUT OF THE BAG: Killing titans/supers at login - even in POS's.

Author
Sexy Cakes
Have A Seat
#21 - 2013-04-12 18:52:51 UTC
Chribba wrote:
I could be wrong because I haven't verified it - but if the titan pilot logs on, hits dscan see probes, just quit your client, ship will try to warp sure but should still disappear under the normal timers, being bumped or not.

But ofc I have no idea, theory crafting here.

/c

The old logoffski to the rescue!

Not today spaghetti.

Gizznitt Malikite
Agony Unleashed
Agony Empire
#22 - 2013-04-12 19:00:34 UTC
Sexy Cakes wrote:
Chribba wrote:
I could be wrong because I haven't verified it - but if the titan pilot logs on, hits dscan see probes, just quit your client, ship will try to warp sure but should still disappear under the normal timers, being bumped or not.

/c

I'm pretty sure this tactic was obliterated with the crimewatch 2.0 agression timer changes...

If your ship is in space, regardless if you are logged on or off, anyone can attack you creating a 15 minute agression timer that prevents your ship from despawining...

Safe logoff can't be done while in warp... and a normal logoff leaves a 60 second window to be attacked before your ship despawns...
Rebecha Pucontis
Doomheim
#23 - 2013-04-12 20:22:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Rebecha Pucontis
Its definitely a crappy mechanic whether an exploit or not.

Also another variation, could you wait for the supercap to log off, drag preset probes to the POS, pick it up on scan and warp to it before it dissapears. That way you would be able to sit at the SS and wait for it to log back on.
Kamden Line
Sovereign Citizen and other Tax Evasion Schemes
#24 - 2013-04-12 20:27:23 UTC
The way to solve this, shockingly enough, is to allow pilots to stop themselves from E-Warping once they log back in. I understand that allows for easy safes, but honestly, you could just hit the "add place" button anyway before you warp.

Ginger Barbarella
#25 - 2013-04-12 20:36:35 UTC
bufnitza calatoare wrote:
obvious tactic to counter this is... don't log in your super cap with anyone not blue in local or better yet.. anyone you don't trust.

That's not always an option, but I'm sure you get that. If your FC says to log the damned thing in, you "should" log the damned thing in. Whether the alliance will reimburse the cost of that cap is another factor in your decision, obviously.

"Blow it all on Quafe and strippers." --- Sorlac

RoCkEt X
Hostile.
PURPLE HELMETED WARRIORS
#26 - 2013-04-12 20:46:40 UTC
Gizznitt Malikite wrote:
Sexy Cakes wrote:
Chribba wrote:

/c

I'm pretty sure this tactic was obliterated with the crimewatch 2.0 agression timer changes...

If your ship is in space, regardless if you are logged on or off, anyone can attack you creating a 15 minute agression timer that prevents your ship from despawining...

Safe logoff can't be done while in warp... and a normal logoff leaves a 60 second window to be attacked before your ship despawns...

this is correct, logging out won't save you.

and no, this has NEVER been used before, supers/titans have been killed at login, but never at their spawn point - thus far, they have all been killed at the spot where they logged off.

This thread is in response to PL attempting to pull it off, they just dont appear to have worked out the bumping part yet, but they arent stupid, it wouldnt have taken them long.

This thread refers to killing supers at their spawn point at login - the supercap pilot's inability to deactivate his own warp makes the pilot completely helpless, for example he has no control over the movement of his ship, and cannot light cynos if he has a gen fitted, if he's in nullsec he wouldnt be able to doomsday either.

Hence the questionable legality of this.
iskflakes
#27 - 2013-04-12 20:54:03 UTC
It's a bad mechanic, everybody is agreed.

-

Silvara Nocturn
Nocturn Industries
#28 - 2013-04-12 21:05:13 UTC
Exploit or not it simply doesn't make sense you warp out of the safety of the pos.

Could u prevent this by ejecting from it?
iskflakes
#29 - 2013-04-12 21:06:13 UTC
Silvara Nocturn wrote:
Exploit or not it simply doesn't make sense you warp out of the safety of the pos.

You can't eject while in warp.

-

Jonasan Mikio
Must Remove Snow Flakes
#30 - 2013-04-12 21:09:21 UTC
Silvara Nocturn wrote:

Eject... from a 30b isk ship..... . the funny part would be if it warped out anyways...
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#31 - 2013-04-12 21:12:47 UTC
Has anyone actually gotten a kill like this? This seems like a "the stars have to align for this to work" deal.

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

RoCkEt X
Hostile.
PURPLE HELMETED WARRIORS
#32 - 2013-04-12 21:19:53 UTC
Andski wrote:
Has anyone actually gotten a kill like this? This seems like a "the stars have to align for this to work" deal.

nope, with research you know the active times of titan pilots, their alts etc. just put a gang on a gate and wait for them to decide to bridge it. it's not as difficult as you think - yes it takes dedication - but so does all supercap hunting.
bufnitza calatoare
#33 - 2013-04-12 21:22:36 UTC
Chribba wrote:

/c

don't matter once they got aggression..

its 100% game over from there.
Arronicus
State War Academy
Caldari State
#34 - 2013-04-12 21:29:58 UTC
Chribba wrote:

/c

Except, that stabber probably has some form of gun fit, even just a civilian railgun, to tag the killmail, or drones. In which case, your ship becomes agressed. I may be wrong, someone correct me here if so, but I believe if you are tagged before your ship actually dissapears, that now starts the 15 minute flags, whereas it didn't used to?

Seems like a blaring oversight on CCP's part. Probably an exploit, but so far down on CCP's priority list, that short of destroying 15 titans in one go, or finding some way to 'dupe LP' off of it, I doubt CCP will even pay any attention.
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#35 - 2013-04-12 21:30:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Andski
RoCkEt X wrote:
nope, with research you know the active times of titan pilots, their alts etc. just put a gang on a gate and wait for them to decide to bridge it. it's not as difficult as you think - yes it takes dedication - but so does all supercap hunting.

Okay, so I still don't understand - you're going to keep a titan bumped while getting DPS on the field /and/ dealing with the fleet, which is conveniently already formed up, that will inevitably warp to the titan pilot when he screams for help?

If you manage to pull that off, props I guess.

In any case I'm all about ~death2allsupercaps~ but the whole "literally can't do a thing" part is pretty broken IMO

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

iskflakes
#36 - 2013-04-12 21:34:18 UTC  |  Edited by: iskflakes
Andski wrote:
Okay, so I still don't understand - you're going to keep a titan bumped while getting DPS on the field /and/ dealing with the fleet, which is conveniently already formed up, that will inevitably warp to the titan pilot when he screams for help?

If you manage to pull that off, props I guess.

In any case I'm all about ~death2allsupercaps~ but the whole "literally can't do a thing" part is pretty broken IMO

Realistically he will die before any help comes to save him. It doesn't take much of a "fleet" to kill a titan, a few guys with a lot of neuts will do it within 5 minutes. You do need to wait around for him to log in, but it's well worth it for a nice kill.

-

Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#37 - 2013-04-12 21:36:06 UTC
Sounds like a sure tactic to get a reimbursement.

CCP addressed a similar problem that happened when entering warp: it couldn't be cancelled.
Dread SinJin
Heisenberg Productions
#38 - 2013-04-12 21:38:25 UTC
so this is all new to you guys? wow you are scrubs
Arronicus
State War Academy
Caldari State
#39 - 2013-04-12 22:00:04 UTC
Tau Cabalander wrote:
Sounds like a sure tactic to get a reimbursement.

CCP addressed a similar problem that happened when entering warp: it couldn't be cancelled.

CCP also has a very firm policy however, against reimbursing dropped modules, as a result of reimbursed shiplosses. As many titans fit or carry in their cargohold, many billions of isk in officer and deadspace modules, this could still result in a loss, in many cases, of 10-20 billion isk for the titan pilot (and corresponding gain for the gankers). Should ccp actually reimburse (ie create the new officer modules/deadspace), and reimburse them, it would open a pandoras box of loading a titan with full estamels/chelm, bringing it in on one character, then ganking it with a seperate alliance, getting it reimbursed, and effectively duplicating any of the officer mods that dropped.
veera Haklar
Doomheim
#40 - 2013-04-12 22:57:55 UTC  |  Edited by: veera Haklar
derpderp