These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Odyssey] Ship Resistance Bonuses

First post First post
Author
Warde Guildencrantz
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#121 - 2013-04-12 18:36:09 UTC
to be honest, fozzie, it feels to me as if this causes more issues than it fixes. I would leave it and instead balance the ships that are directly causing issues instead of messing around with a huge group of ships at once.

OR, you could make logistics ships that increase active reps by a huge amount. (second line of logistics boats?) Wouldn't make active stuff epic on a large large alpha fleet scale but it would make it better on midscale or small scale where someone under reps wouldn't just get alpha'd regardless of the fleettype.

TunDraGon ~ Low sec piracy since 2003 ~ Youtube ~ Join Us

Johnson Oramara
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#122 - 2013-04-12 18:37:21 UTC
Fozzie, if you seriously want to start balancing even the ship bonuses then do them ALL. But do you know what? that is pretty much impossible since they are all so different.

But here is an idea, there will be stronger and weaker kind of bonuses but that is fine. If the ship has strong resist bonus make the SECOND bonus weaker one, if the ship has weak range bonus like Raven has make the second one STRONGER.
Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#123 - 2013-04-12 18:37:53 UTC
Two step wrote:
In a (probably futile) attempt to catch up with Fozzie on likes, if you don't like this, go unlike a past awesome Fozzie post

And my actual response to the thread is that I think this will require a re-look at some of the already balanced ships that had this bonus, and possibly some adjustments. I do agree that resist bonuses are very good, but the fact that some of the ships listed are terrible means that the bonus isn't completely OP.

The Merlin and Punisher would like to have a word with Fozzie. Especially the Punisher.

It definitely requires a more in-depth look at. This may be the right choice for the Rokh and Abbaddon, but for some ships (Ferox, Punisher, Vengeance as examples), the rep bonus is all they got going for them, and this nerf is a significant nerf to their usability.

Accidentally The Whole Frigate - For-newbies blog (currently on pause)

Marlona Sky
State War Academy
Caldari State
#124 - 2013-04-12 18:38:49 UTC
Like what has been said before in this thread; don't put it in CSM hands on balance tweaks like this. They are there for more broader topics and situations. Not to decide if a bonus needs to be lowered by 1%.
Ana Fox
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#125 - 2013-04-12 18:41:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Ana Fox
Why you are not changing resistance on all ships but only group of ships?

I ask simply cause if lets say Moa's main feature is nice tank,after this that feature will not be potent like it was before.That leads to other question ,will all this ships get some changes to compensate their loos in resistances?

I think you got your self here in problem.If you didn't like those bonuses you shouldn't put them on so many ships,and we are way from frigate changes.You could give those ships new features and roles.This way is like I give you something for few months and now I will take a bit.

That is not looking so great choice ,even I really respect all you did about ship changes.
Rented
Hunter Heavy Industries
#126 - 2013-04-12 18:45:41 UTC
EVE, Wallstreet, and a statistician convention... the three places on Earth where 5% can generate so much whine.
Van Mathias
Dead Space Continuum
#127 - 2013-04-12 18:45:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Van Mathias
The more I think about it, the more it seems to me its not the hull bonuses, but the fact that a tech 2 omni-resist mod gives 30% resist bonus. The TE had the same problem, but you don't see CCP nerfing ships that have a 10% bonus per level to range, they went after the offending module. If you want to nerf all resist tanks, do it on the mod level.

After all, the hull bonus by itself is only 1 invulns worth of resists, and is not all that great without some reinforcement vis-a-vis a couple of resist mods.

Change Invuln bonus to 20% and tech 2 invuln bonus to 25%. If we have to suffer a hit to our resists, then let the ships with the rep bonus feel a bit of the pain as well.

I would also like to point out changing the stats on a mod is far less a politically sensitive topic than adjusting hull bonuses.
Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#128 - 2013-04-12 18:51:24 UTC
**The Following Fits are for comparison purposes only.**
[Odyssey Hyperion]

Large Ancillary Armor Repairer (Nanite Repair Paste)
Large Armor Repairer II
Armor Explosive Hardener II
2x Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II

Armor Resistances
EM:70.65
Kinetic:61.84
Explosive:72.82
Thermal:61.84
EHP 53,666
Rep/s 791.23

[Odyssey Abaddon]

Large Armor Repairer II

Armor Resistances
EM:76.52
Kinetic:64.78
Explosive:80.67
Thermal:69.47
EHP 61,219
Rep/s 704.19

The 1% less resistance puts active reps in a competitive position for small gang and solo battles. But the passive resistance will still last longer in a fight due to the inherent EHP difference.

If you don't follow the rules, neither will I.

Gizznitt Malikite
Agony Unleashed
Agony Empire
#129 - 2013-04-12 18:52:27 UTC
Van Mathias wrote:
The more I think about it, the more it seems to me its not the hull bonuses, but the fact that a tech 2 omni-resist mod gives 30% resist bonus. The TE had the same problem, but you don't see CCP nerfing ships that have a 10% bonus per level to range, they went after the offending module. If you want to nerf all resist tanks, do it on the mod level.

Change Invuln bonus to 20% and tech 2 invuln bonus to 25%. If we have to suffer a hit to our resists, then let the ships with the rep bonus feel a bit of the pain as well.

This would amplify the power of a 5% resist bonus.... Not hurt it!!! And it does nothing to alter the Armor based discrepancies either!

Everyone should check out this thread: [Ship balancing] Why active tank bonuses are plain worse than resist bonuses
Van Mathias
Dead Space Continuum
#130 - 2013-04-12 18:58:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Van Mathias
What? x * .75 * .70 * .70 < x * .75 * .75 * .75 for all values of x that are greater than 0. Also, the discrepancy grows with the value of x.

Honestly, its basic math.
Maximus Andendare
Stimulus
Rote Kapelle
#131 - 2013-04-12 18:58:28 UTC
Omnathious Deninard wrote:
I also wonder why it is that the ships that get the resistance bonus usually get more native tanking slots than ships that get the rep bonus.
I've wondered this as well. It's similar to the logic that drone ships have one less slot because of the fallacy that drones open slots for utility (when in fact they almost always are used for that drone boat's dps). I wonder why all resistance ships aren't just saddled with one less tanking slot (wherever it may be), since they are in effect receiving a free unstacking-penalized EANM, or for the case of a shield ship, a non-existent passive module that buffs all resistances.

So why not just keep the bonus at 5% but just remove a tanking slot for the ships that have the built-in buff?

Alternatively, with regard to the OP's post, I think I'm more in favor of having a range of resistance bonuses, from perhaps 3% to 5%. NOT EVERYTHING HAS TO BE THE SAME. This way, you can adjust for a lower resist--say, for a Rokh/Abaddon--when appropriate to the full 5% when it makes sense--like in the HICs, for example, that cannot receive remote reps when they are doing their function.

Some variety is great. We as players don't need ok, so resist bonus is always 20%.

Enter grid and you're already dead, destined to be reborn and fight another day.

>> Play Eve Online FREE! Join today for exclusive bonuses! <<

Warde Guildencrantz
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#132 - 2013-04-12 19:01:19 UTC
Maximus Andendare wrote:
[quote=Omnathious Deninard]

Alternatively, with regard to the OP's post, I think I'm more in favor of having a range of resistance bonuses, from perhaps 3% to 5%. NOT EVERYTHING HAS TO BE THE SAME. This way, you can adjust for a lower resist--say, for a Rokh/Abaddon--when appropriate to the full 5% when it makes sense--like in the HICs, for example, that cannot receive remote reps when they are doing their function.

Some variety is great. We as players don't need ok, so resist bonus is always 20%.

Yeah, this makes more sense. Some ships NEED that 5% (Ferox devoter onyx phobos broadsword moa merlin vengeance harpy punisher etc.), some ships would be doing great even if they were nerfed down a bit. (Rokh, drake, abaddon, prophecy etc.)

TunDraGon ~ Low sec piracy since 2003 ~ Youtube ~ Join Us

Johnson Oramara
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#133 - 2013-04-12 19:04:56 UTC
Rented wrote:
EVE, Wallstreet, and a statistician convention... the three places on Earth where 5% can generate so much whine.

I do not know about you but i recently upgraded few of my implants from 4% bonus to 6% bonus, so 2% more for hundreds of millions in costs. So yes, even few percents matter to me and likely to others too as in this pvp game even that 1% gives an edge to you.
Rented
Hunter Heavy Industries
#134 - 2013-04-12 19:08:40 UTC
Johnson Oramara wrote:
Rented wrote:

I do not know about you but i recently upgraded few of my implants from 4% bonus to 6% bonus, so 2% more for hundreds of millions in costs. So yes, even few percents matter to me and likely to others too as in this pvp game even that 1% gives an edge to you.

So.... exactly like I said.....
Colt Blackhawk
Doomheim
#135 - 2013-04-12 19:10:38 UTC
Somehow this hits again mostly amarr and caldari.... oh wonder.
I bet they won´t get it done to make the raven a pvp ship.
And btw the punisher is a c..pship actually. It really doesn´t need a nerf. Merlin...okay. But punisher????
Gila, Worm and Rattlesnake really also don´t need a nerf in comparison to completely overpowered Dram, Cynabal and Machariel.
Oh oh....

Seems it is all going to direction of Galmawin...

[09:04:53] Ashira Twilight > Plant the f****** amarr flag and s*** on their smoking wrecks.

Naomi Knight
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#136 - 2013-04-12 19:15:06 UTC
Omnathious Deninard wrote:
**The Following Fits are for comparison purposes only.**
[Odyssey Hyperion]

Large Armor Repairer II

Armor Resistances
EM:70.65
Kinetic:61.84
Explosive:72.82
Thermal:61.84
EHP 53,666
Rep/s 791.23

[Odyssey Abaddon]

Large Armor Repairer II

Armor Resistances
EM:76.52
Kinetic:64.78
Explosive:80.67
Thermal:69.47
EHP 61,219
Rep/s 704.19

The 1% less resistance puts active reps in a competitive position for small gang and solo battles. But the passive resistance will still last longer in a fight due to the inherent EHP difference.

add in drones , speed ,agility , and utility/tackler slots
lets see then which one is better for that job
Leon De Grande
Evian Industries
Reeloaded.
#137 - 2013-04-12 19:20:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Leon De Grande
Ranamar wrote:
I think the usual answer to this question is that, if they increase the local rep bonus by much more, then local reps are completely underwhelming on ships without a tanking bonus. They want you to use racial weapons, so they give massive bonuses to racial weapons on ships. On the other hand, they want everyone to consider using active-rep fits, so they can't make the rep bonuses so high that you use reps if and only if your ship has a bonus to it. (... even leaving aside the other problems with local reps in larger fleets that people have brought up...)

I don't understand why this is a problem. Yes - they want you to use racial weapons on appropriate ships so they give enough incentive to make it the best option. I think this is good, it provides a distinct role and value for the different weapon types. Why would the same not be good for local repair modules? If you want to have a strong local repair, use a ship with a bonus. If you want a strong resistance buffer, use a ship with a resistance bonus. Two distinct roles.

Should ships with local repair bonuses have much stronger local repair than ships without? Why not.
Should ships with resistance bonuses have much higher buffers and EHP/s potentials than ships without? Why not.

I don't see how you provided a counter perspective to what I said, all you did was re-state the conditions that would be created. If it is underwhelming to use blasters on a laser bonused ship, why should it not be underwhelming to use local repairs on a non-bonused ship?

I want it to be clear that I am am aware it would make individual hulls even more distinct from one another. Why is this a negative thing?
Beaver Retriever
Reality Sequence
#138 - 2013-04-12 19:26:27 UTC
Buhhdust Princess wrote:
So now we've:
1) Removed the 8th low slot of every Amarr Battleship
and
2) Removed 1% of the extra resist that would of probably kept them balanced.

Personally, I don't see a need to remove that 1%, I was killing Amarr perfectly fine.

Also, doing it to capitals is silly, it's a lot of time/effort to build them, and a lot of ISK to buy them. Removing a percentage of their bonuses just seems a bit dodgy.

It's not even 1%.. it's 5%. which is a massive, massive chunk of the advantage the Aeon and Archon have.

Might have to rethink my capital alt plans. Luckily, at least you won't need racial BS V to steer away from ****** capital training after the summer.
Vladimir Norkoff
Income Redistribution Service
#139 - 2013-04-12 19:27:45 UTC
*sob* My poor little Merlin... No longer will you be able to charge heedlessly into the face of danger without a seconds thought. Sure you were a grossly overpowered beastboat. But you were MY little beastboat.
Beaver Retriever
Reality Sequence
#140 - 2013-04-12 19:28:01 UTC
Luc Chastot wrote:
How does this change the fact active tanking bonuses are useless for fleets, thus completely wasted? Also, how does this change the fact Gallente has 4 ships with an almost useless bonus, while Minmatar has only 3?

So, what I'm seeing here is that not only have Caldari and Amarr plenty of ships with the better bonus, but also Gallente is in a worse position than Minmatar, while also having to deal with blasters' range and drones.

Edit: Yay.

They aren't 'wasted', that just means there's fleet ships and there's gang ships.

Not every ship has to be useful in a 200-man fleet. And not every ship has to be useful in a 6-man gang. There's roles. What's wrong with variety?