These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Warfare & Tactics

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Farmatar: Or why fw is totally broken

First post
Author
Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#381 - 2013-04-11 15:21:10 UTC
X Gallentius wrote:
Seraph Castillon wrote:
I'm still not going to do 6 jumps to chase a stabbed plexer out of his plex in backwater placid, even if I get a nice mail telling me exactly where he is and even if his timer resets when I chase him out.
But if there is a notification system, then it's a pvp mechanic. Therefore, you will sit in the plex after you chase the rabbit out. Really. You will. And there will be many more players just like you who will do it as well. Trust me on this.

Since entire enemy militia will know where I am, and knowing where I am, is the first requirment of my getting pvp I will, of course, be more likely to stay in the plex.

When I was in fw I might stay if there was under 4 minutes left and 5 or more wts in local. With the notifications I might stay if there is 6 minutes left and 3 or more wts in local.

Make faction war occupancy pvp instead of pve https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=53815&#post53815

X Gallentius
Black Eagle1
#382 - 2013-04-11 15:32:57 UTC
Cearain wrote:
Since entire enemy militia will know where I am, and knowing where I am, is the first requirment of my getting pvp I will, of course, be more likely to stay in the plex.

When I was in fw I might stay if there was under 4 minutes left and 5 or more wts in local. With the notifications I might stay if there is 6 minutes left and 3 or more wts in local.

That's a really good point, tbh. But why bother chasing the rabbit in the first place? Just open a plex anywhere, and have at it.

BTW, you're not really fighting the occupancy war are you? You're just using the plex for fights. And, you aren't really interested in chasing the rabbits out at all. It's kind of a strawman argument, isn't it?
Steve Spooner
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#383 - 2013-04-11 15:41:34 UTC
I like how one sided things are in favor of the minmatar. Farm moar LP!
Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#384 - 2013-04-11 15:47:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Cearain
X Gallentius wrote:
Cearain wrote:

That's a really good point, tbh. But why bother chasing the rabbit in the first place? Just open a plex anywhere, and have at it.

BTW, you're not really fighting the occupancy war are you? You're just using the plex for fights. And, you aren't really interested in chasing the rabbits out at all. It's kind of a strawman argument, isn't it?

I could just open a plex and wait. That would be an option. But I think if they had a timer rollback and notifications my time would be more efficiently spent by attacking enemy plexer (assuming he was only 1-3 jumps away) killing him or forcing him out and then running a different plex next to it. That way I essentially have 2 timers running for my militia (his timer would be counting back down to neutral and my plex would be counting toward capture)

It's hard to say for sure, but it might be that by killing several people I could essentially have even 4 timers running for my militia in addition to a new plex I would could start. I really don't know what the most efficient approach will be without knowing the specific mechanics and actually testing them out.

It may depend on the design of the notifications and the timer rollback. If the notifications told us how much time was on the enemy plex then it would make the most sense to try to go for plexes that the enemy had plexed up more time with. That way it will run down automatically for a longer period of time while you are doing something else such as running a new plex. If the timer rollbacks only rolled back if an enemy or neutral was on grid or on grid with the accell gate of your plex it may be more beneficial to leave the plex and go fight someone nearby.

Edit:
The other thing to consider is that if a militia mate died or was forced out of a plex with only 2 minutes or so left in a nearby system I may want to head over and try to get the plex captured. There would be allot of on the fly stategic decisions to make based on the intel from the channels and what the players report.

If this was implemented the militias that wanted to win would have seperate coms for different sections of the war zone. If there was no pvper in a zone that zone might be a priority. But the players close to eachother would need to communicate so that they were get the most efficient use of their time.

Yes right now I am just using the plexes for fights. I am not even in a militia.

Make faction war occupancy pvp instead of pve https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=53815&#post53815

ALUCARD 1208
Digital Ghosts
#385 - 2013-04-11 22:58:36 UTC  |  Edited by: ALUCARD 1208
cearain wrote:
If this was implemented the militias that wanted to win would have seperate coms for different sections of the war zone.

Really cearain ur only looking from whatever side you was on and the mustve been poor, most militias do this already and we have good intel channels too. When i was a minmatar they also did this and had gd intel channels. This is the reason most of us are against the notification idea we see it as "NOT NEEDED".

You should try other militias and see the different cultures and way of doing things it may open your eyes a little
Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#386 - 2013-04-12 00:47:40 UTC
ALUCARD 1208 wrote:
cearain wrote:
If this was implemented the militias that wanted to win would have seperate coms for different sections of the war zone.

Really cearain ur only looking from whatever side you was on and the mustve been poor, most militias do this already and we have good intel channels too. When i was a minmatar they also did this and had gd intel channels. This is the reason most of us are against the notification idea we see it as "NOT NEEDED".

You should try other militias and see the different cultures and way of doing things it may open your eyes a little

If you don't mind that sov in 90% of systems is determined by rabbits and like the "content" rabbits add, then I guess you would think the player intel channels are sufficient.

However plenty of people think fw sov is still broken and therefore don't even bother with it.

ALUCARD 1208
Digital Ghosts
#387 - 2013-04-12 01:06:54 UTC
No our intel channels tell us were actual pvp is not rabbit hunting Lol
Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#388 - 2013-04-12 14:01:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Cearain
ALUCARD 1208 wrote:

Whatever.

Like I said, if you are happy with 90% of systems having sov determined by rabbits, like the content rabbits bring to the game, and are happy that the most effective way to plex is to get a pve ship and avoid all pvp, then your intel channels seem to be doing great. Because these are the actual facts of the current situation.

If ccp wants to just continue to make fw sov yet another pve mechanic for alts, and don't care that they offer no contextual background for small scale pvpers, then they will stick with the current iteration of fw.

Whisperen
Resilience.
The Initiative.
#389 - 2013-04-12 14:33:27 UTC
Cearain wrote:
ALUCARD 1208 wrote:

Whatever.

Like I said, if you are happy with 90% of systems having sov determined by rabbits, like the content rabbits bring to the game, and are happy that the most effective way to plex is to get a pve ship and avoid all pvp, then your intel channels seem to be doing great. Because these are the actual facts of the current situation.

If ccp wants to just continue to make fw sov yet another pve mechanic for alts, and don't care that they offer no contextual background for small scale pvpers, then they will stick with the current iteration of fw.

Whatever.

The tools are already in the game both the map and player made intel channels 90% of PvP players use them (see i can pull numbers out my arse too!). You do not have any facts just your laughable opinions. There is more pvp in the warzone now then ever before. These are the actual facts of the current situation.

From looking at the live stream CCP are sticking with the current iteration of facwar.

Roll backs.. agreed.

/end thread.
2manno Asp
Death By Design
#390 - 2013-04-12 14:39:25 UTC  |  Edited by: 2manno Asp
btw - the notification system that's been thrown around is a bit overdone in terms of scope/reach imo.

as we all know, there's a notification system already in place in the FW window which tells you if a system is stable, contested or even vulnerable.

i think in the ideal world we take it just one step further by using the same FW map interface thingy, to let FW players know if someone is actually plexing in a given system. nothing more. not the actual plex, not the player name, not the ship type.

just let them know if system x has an enemy(s) in one of it's plexes - a simple distress signal. the rest is up to the players to figure out and decide what to do.

also, if there's a notification sytem in place, i think the plex timers should be shortened a tbd amount to compensate for the increase in informational efficiency.

if this happens, then rollbacks are even more important.
Whisperen
Resilience.
The Initiative.
#391 - 2013-04-12 14:45:30 UTC
2manno Asp wrote:
btw - the notification system that's been thrown around is a bit overdone in terms of scope/reach imo.

as we all know, there's a notification system already in place in the FW window which tells you if a system is stable, contested or even vulnerable.

i think in the ideal world we take it just one step further by using the same FW map interface thingy, to let FW players know if someone is actually plexing in a given system. nothing more. not the actual plex, not the player name, not the ship type.

just let them know if system x has an enemy(s) in one of it's plexes - a simple distress signal. the rest is up to the players to figure out and decide what to do.

also, if there's a notification sytem in place, i think the plex timers should be shortened a tbd amount to compensate for the increase in informational efficiency.

rollbacks agreed.

Why not simply send someone to scout it?
Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#392 - 2013-04-12 14:53:33 UTC
Whisperen wrote:
Cearain wrote:
ALUCARD 1208 wrote:

Whatever.

Whatever.

The tools are already in the game both the map and player made intel channels 90% of PvP players use them (see i can pull numbers out my arse too!).

The ninety percent number was based on several peoples conclusions that they only care about their home base system and so they don't mind that the rest of the "back water" systems have their sov determined by rabbits. When we add up the home base fw sytems that people care about we get fewer than 17. There are 170 systems. So either you can list more than 17 homebase fw systems that people really care about, or you are arguing against arithmetic.

And I may agree that 90% of pvpers use the channels. That actually supports my view that we need more tools. Because despite player channesl we still have the game I descirbed above. Why don't you look at the top 5 vp gainers for the day and tell us how many kills they got that day? You know, get some actual data.

Whisperen wrote:

You do not have any facts just your laughable opinions. There is more pvp in the warzone now then ever before. These are the actual facts of the current situation.

From looking at the live stream CCP are sticking with the current iteration of facwar.

Roll backs.. agreed.

/end thread.

More pvp in general in the fw low sec space does not mean the actual fw sov mechanic isn't a broken carebear race. A larger and large number of people who actually fight in plexes are not even in fw. Its the new top belt. Most pvpers don't care about sov because it is most efficiently done in pve fits by avoiding pvp.

I didn't see the live stream. Is ccp going to do the rolbacks?

Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#393 - 2013-04-12 14:55:19 UTC
Whisperen wrote:
2manno Asp wrote:

rollbacks agreed.

What do you mean by "it"? Why not have someone keep scouting the entire fw map?

2manno Asp
Death By Design
#394 - 2013-04-12 15:04:28 UTC  |  Edited by: 2manno Asp
Whisperen wrote:

Why not simply have a distress signal?
X Gallentius
Black Eagle1
#395 - 2013-04-12 15:28:33 UTC
2manno Asp wrote:
Fair enough.
Crosi Wesdo
War and Order
#396 - 2013-04-12 16:25:54 UTC
My point is, there are other suggestions here that tweak things to mitigate some of the effectiveness of farming. If you are looking for pvp and cant find any potentials after 4-5 jumps, chances are you are living in the wrong place.
Muad 'dib
State War Academy
Caldari State
#397 - 2013-04-12 17:34:25 UTC
Instead of an instant per-plex notification.

What about a + or - on the system with a % value that its changed in the past hour?

Then its useful still but not directly aimed at getting all the plexers ganked by everyone the second they tick any timers! because the misuse of the notifications by bored pirates (or anyone) with alts/spys in FW, is a serious issue for the genuine continuity of FW.

FW already gets a good kick in the balls when it comes to lock outs, farming alts system flips by out side influences. While FW space in general low sec and alts are easy any extra information thats made available needs to be carefully thought out. We dont want another ccp knee jerk OTT change to shut 5 forum warriors up while ruining 10,000 fw players year.

Cosmic signature detected. . . . http://i.imgur.com/Z7NfIS6.jpg I got 99 likes, and this post aint one.

Whisperen
Resilience.
The Initiative.
#398 - 2013-04-12 19:21:58 UTC
Muad 'dib wrote:

What about a + or - on the system with a % value that its changed in the past hour?

Then its useful still but not directly aimed at getting all the plexers ganked by everyone the second they tick any timers! because the misuse of the notifications by bored pirates (or anyone) with alts/spys in FW, is a serious issue for the genuine continuity of FW.

FW already gets a good kick in the balls when it comes to lock outs, farming alts system flips by out side influences. While FW space in general low sec and alts are easy any extra information thats made available needs to be carefully thought out. We dont want another ccp knee jerk OTT change to shut 5 forum warriors up while ruining 10,000 fw players year.

By "It" i mean the systems that are changing %captured status if you notice a lot of change send someone to scout.

I use the in game notepad look at the areas i am going to roam for the night record the %captured then check the map for pvp kills and number of jumps. Now as i move around and hit safes to scan a system i can check the current %captured compared to my log hey presto i know when and where plex's are being run. (Placing a bounty on all the known enemy FC's in your timezone is a handy way of knowing if they are out and about. When they die you get a notification).

And it dosnt make any difference at all that is in the plex is a stabbed cloaky merlin. Rollbacks may help here but if your prey is just going to run when you land on grid all your doing is decreasing the 'pain' of deplexing a useless system. (For which you are rewarded LP).

If Cearain wants to make the rest of the warzone matter to more then farmers then he needs to address the logistical challenges of living (huge numbers of militia live in non-facwar lowsec or hisec for the convenience of shopping, refitting, clones etc) or using (no resources other then plex's a few sigs and bad roids that nobody in their right mind would mine) and therefore caring about those systems. Ive yet to see a proposal that's not going to provoke howls of outrage that facwar will turn into more of a 0.0-lite structure grind. Hmm sounds familiar.

Muad 'dib
State War Academy
Caldari State
#399 - 2013-04-12 19:30:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Muad 'dib
I wouldnt mind seeing ALL fw systems tick down by them selves to a nuetral state after a few days or so. Maybe make it drop 1% an hour (4 days ish to 0). Of course if something like this comes in flipping the bunker will need to change, like a bunker becomes vaun at a lower % level than a 100%. but at least the "who cares" systems will get more attention from farmers and pvpers when they drop to neut status - also enabling temporary station games. Then give the neut systems plex reward 50% lp less over an offensive plex (a lot more than defensive), to either side for control, then systems that matter will keep the FW presence in the area and isk potential more, much more level.

- just a random idea not really thought out fully!

Cosmic signature detected. . . . http://i.imgur.com/Z7NfIS6.jpg I got 99 likes, and this post aint one.

Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#400 - 2013-04-13 14:47:52 UTC
Muad 'dib wrote:

I don't think that would change anything.