These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Linux

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

BIG NEWS - wine 1.5.26, overrides, and CQ

Author
Publius Victrix
Gloria In Excelsis Deo
#1 - 2013-03-17 15:10:05 UTC
Hi all!

I was just trying to figure out a problem where mouseover wasn't working right, and it was impacting both my Eve and Warcraft installs. Finally I came across an old thread (where I had tried to help, ironically) that mentioned that synergys caused problems - and I'd just started using it again on this box. Sure enough, killing it remedied the situation.

HOWEVER... In my struggles, I'd tried a new prefix, without anything custom for libraries or overrides. The only winetricks I used was "corefonts" and I'm frankly not even sure that was required. But the upshot is that I noticed too late that I hadn't turned off station environment, and I saw the Captain's Quarters screen loading. I thought, "here comes my crash", only... it didn't crash.

Captains Quarters works in GNU/Linux now, and Eve runs in a bare Wine 1.5.26 install without any libraries loaded in and with no overrides.

My set-up:

Debian Wheezy
Linux 3.2.39-2
nVidia driver 304.64
Wine 1.5.26 (from their release, not git)

The only thing different from my historical set-up is that I'm building Wine in a dedicated build-chroot lately, so that I can cleanly build 32-bit Wine on an AMD64 host. I install the resulting Wine into /usr/local/stow/wine-1.5.26 or similar, and use Debian Wheezy's nice multi-arch support to get the requisite 32-bit support. Previously I'd been simply running a 32-bit Linux to avoid problems with the 32-bit development libraries having non-dev dependencies that conflicted with my installed amd64 packages. This new set-up works beautifully, and I can detail it if folks have trouble working it out for themselves.
Zor'katar
Matari Recreation
#2 - 2013-03-17 18:47:59 UTC
I'm afraid my experience isn't so rosy. With Wine 1.5.26, Xubuntu 12.10, nVidia driver 310.14, I still crash on startup without the msvcr90 override, and still crash upon entering CQ. Could try a fresh install, but I probably won't.
Kismeteer
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#3 - 2013-03-18 13:36:19 UTC
Zor'katar wrote:
I'm afraid my experience isn't so rosy. With Wine 1.5.26, Xubuntu 12.10, nVidia driver 310.14, I still crash on startup without the msvcr90 override, and still crash upon entering CQ. Could try a fresh install, but I probably won't.

Turn off CQ on the login screen, that should get you past that hurdle.
Publius Victrix
Gloria In Excelsis Deo
#4 - 2013-03-20 16:27:29 UTC
And... I fire it up today and the launcher/patcher crashes on me. Sigh.
Kismeteer
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#5 - 2013-03-22 00:44:08 UTC
Read the Ubuntu install and find the overrides sections. Sometimes trying some of those gets people off the ground.

Specifically:

Quote:
export WINEDLLOVERRIDES="msvcr100,msvcr90,msvcr80=n,b;msvcrt=b,n"
Publius Victrix
Gloria In Excelsis Deo
#6 - 2013-03-22 03:02:16 UTC
So, for kicks, I launched with Wine 1.5.21 and the patcher worked, but the game crashed - having patched with Wine 1.5.21 I then fired up 1.5.26 again and loaded into Captain's Quarters. I have to say, the graphics in there are really neat. The viewscreen was reflecting off my character in subtle and complex ways. It was really beautiful. I don't like the character control mechanism at all, but so it goes.
Publius Victrix
Gloria In Excelsis Deo
#7 - 2013-03-22 03:05:29 UTC
So, to clarify, I'm running with a completely unadorned Wine 1.5.26, no winetricks anything, no vcrun anything, no DirectX from MIcrosloth, no overrides at all, and it works fine, but I had to revert to Wine 1.5.21 for the patcher/launcher to not blow up on me.

This means it's possible to run without all that cruft, although there are kinks to work out.

Ah, if only CCP had started off with OpenGL...
Van Mathias
Dead Space Continuum
#8 - 2013-03-23 19:28:34 UTC
Alright, I use Slackware64 with Wine 1.5.26, and CQ does not work for me at this point, any tips on getting it working?
Farrell Starshadow
Farrell Starshadow Industries
#9 - 2013-03-24 02:02:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Farrell Starshadow
Ubuntu: 12.10
Kernel: 3.5.0-25-generic
Wine: 1.5.26 (from POL)
Nvidia driver: 304.43

This works for me with no overrides as well. When I had d3dx9_36 (native/builtin) CQ was still crashing.

Edit: Spoke too soon it's crashing again. Color me confused.
Greg Arosa
Sebiestor Tribe
#10 - 2013-03-25 22:06:37 UTC
CQ still doesnt work for me. The good news is that EVE seems to be working without all those overrides just fine.

Gentoo
x86_64
wine 1.5.26
Mr M
Sebiestor Tribe
#11 - 2013-03-31 01:11:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Mr M
I had to use the VC++ overrides when patching the other day but except for that I'm running on a clean prefix. No CQ or browser though.

Debian Wheezy
Wine 1.5.27
Nvidia 313.26

Share your experience

Write for the EVE Tribune

www.eve-tribune.com

Miao Sajuuk
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#12 - 2013-04-03 11:55:30 UTC
CQ and IGB still doesn't work.

Archlinux
linux 3.8.5
wine git version (>1.5.27)
Nvida 313.26
AceMonter
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#13 - 2013-04-05 02:51:40 UTC
Ubuntu 12.10 with wine 1.5.26

The game runs ok, But I just cant see the image icons of ships and drones ingame, for modules and other stuff the icons are ok.

Any ideas how to resolve this ?

De los pocos argentinos que hay por aca.-

Zor'katar
Matari Recreation
#14 - 2013-04-05 12:29:16 UTC
AceMonter wrote:

The game runs ok, But I just cant see the image icons of ships and drones ingame, for modules and other stuff the icons are ok.

I'd start by clearing the cache... if that doesn't do it, try playing with the graphics settings.

If still nothing, maybe a graphics driver issue?
AceMonter
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#15 - 2013-04-05 12:51:38 UTC
Zor'katar wrote:
AceMonter wrote:

I'd start by clearing the cache... if that doesn't do it, try playing with the graphics settings.

If still nothing, maybe a graphics driver issue?

I use the ATI legacy drivers... cleared the cache and nothing happens...
The graphics settings dont fix that error...

I know is nothing because the game works fine... but a little strange that this error only happen with ships and drones... all the other icon looks ok.

Probably be ubuntu12.10 I remember been using 12.04 and never got that problem... will wait for ringtail.

De los pocos argentinos que hay por aca.-

Publius Victrix
Gloria In Excelsis Deo
#16 - 2013-04-06 00:38:05 UTC
So, an update. The launcher crashes on anything past 1.5.21, including the newest - as of this writing, 1.5.27.

I can get the patcher to complete if I "winetricks vcrun2008".

All fairly disappointing. Eve makes CCP enough money to have someone spend a few hours a week testing against Wine.

I'm voting with my feet. If these silly issues aren't addressed by the time my subscription runs out, I'm not going to bother renewing - it's set to cancel right now, along with two alt accounts. My wife's account is already off. World of Warcraft has had no problems for a long while now, with Wine, so clearly compatibility isn't unreachable. It just takes a company wanting to bother. Maybe losing $60/month between me and my wife's accounts can be a message.

(No, you can't have my stuff.)
Greg Arosa
Sebiestor Tribe
#17 - 2013-04-12 10:54:04 UTC
Publius Victrix wrote:
So, an update. The launcher crashes on anything past 1.5.21, including the newest - as of this writing, 1.5.27.

Stop whining and check your wine settings. Several people including my humble self are able to run eve without any issues (not counting for cq and voicechat). Yes, with the latest wine version. No, without any libraries overloaded.
Lancelot DuLake
NULLCorp Ltd.
#18 - 2013-04-12 19:22:06 UTC
I'm basically using what's on winehq's appdb:

Quote:
winetricks corefonts d3dx9_36 vcrun2005 vcrun2008 vcrun2010

I found your post because I recently wasn't able to start EVE in wine, starting 4/10 (2 days ago). I had done some arch linux updates, and I was having a beast of a time tracking down what was broken, whether kernel, nvidia driver, etc...

Turns out the new version of wine (in archlinux, at least) uses wow64. Without going into the details of why this should be a good thing but actually isn't in the case of EVE, all you need to do is:

export WINEARCH=win32
wine eve.exe

That will disable wow64 and just run normal 32-bit windows apps the way wine did before. Using this, EVE started and ran fine. I also tested on a blank .wine folder, but EVE ran really slow. I'm thinking it's because of the directx11 support in wine, or maybe I do need those winetricks installed. Either way, just run the winetricks and/or disable directx11 if you need.

You probably already know about this, but here's the best place to go to get it working:
eve at appbd.winehq

I would be happy to help further if you need. I also would cancel my subscription if EVE no longer worked in linux. I have Windows 7, but I only boot to it when I do dedicated gaming. Since EVE is more of a multi-task/passive game, I'd never play it unless it worked in linux, where I spend 90%+ of my time.

If anyone in EVE sees this post: I am a programmer in C++, Python, and many other languages, and I would be happy to help get EVE working better in linux, or even to write a native linux port, if given the chance. Currently looking for a new job, so resume's available upon request.
Publius Victrix
Gloria In Excelsis Deo
#19 - 2013-04-13 05:36:38 UTC
Greg Arosa wrote:
Stop whining and check your wine settings. Several people including my humble self are able to run eve without any issues (not counting for cq and voicechat). Yes, with the latest wine version. No, without any libraries overloaded.

I'm not whining, I'm noting that I'm not going to hand over money for low-quality work.

Raise your standards a little.
Greg Arosa
Sebiestor Tribe
#20 - 2013-04-18 20:23:54 UTC
Publius Victrix wrote:
Greg Arosa wrote:

I'm not whining, I'm noting that I'm not going to hand over money for low-quality work.

Raise your standards a little.

Oh yes you are. CCP is not obliged to support EVE on Linux, and yet some of the devs still do that (not officially though). EVE runs flawlessly on its target platforms - Windows and Mac, so generally speaking it is YOUR problem if you cannot run EVE on Linux for some reason. So either be patient and help others to solve YOUR problems (by commiting some code to wine, for example), or just shut up.

p.s. CAN I HAZ UR STUFF?/
12Next page