These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Ancillary Armor Reps - Whats the use?

Author
Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#21 - 2013-04-10 04:17:23 UTC
AARs are basially ASBs with additional penalties. Since armor can not have nice things.

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

Maximus Hashur
The Terrifying League Of Dog Fort
Freight Train Diplomacy
#22 - 2013-04-10 13:03:18 UTC
Am i reading the armor repair amount on the Small AAR correct? Is it only 45 per cycle? EFT said it was around 140 or something.

Can anyone confirm what the cycle repair rate is from actual experience?

Looked up...saw this F***ING clown dropping like a rock.  Woke up in Vylade wondering what just happened!!!

Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#23 - 2013-04-10 13:24:26 UTC
need to load nanite paste into it for ihgher reps
Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#24 - 2013-04-10 14:24:04 UTC
Maximus Hashur wrote:
Am i reading the armor repair amount on the Small AAR correct? Is it only 45 per cycle? EFT said it was around 140 or something.

Can anyone confirm what the cycle repair rate is from actual experience?

45 without paste and 3x45 with paste for 8 cycles max

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

Stonkeep
Osmanli Empire
#25 - 2013-04-10 16:31:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Stonkeep
AAR seems to be the poor mans deadspace armor repairer. It does the same thing as some of the deadspace modules for far much cheaper price.

Large AAR = 1350 rep every 15 sec - costs 600k
Centus B-Type AR = 1080 rep every 15 sec - costs 280mil.

Also, smaller modules seem to be punished more than the bigger ones. Small AAR will run out of charges after 7 cycles, which comes to about 47sec max active time(without any skills). Whereas a large one can run pretty long time(cap permitted).

ASB seems still better with being able to use more than 1, no cap usage and more rep tho I do not think CCP intended for these 2 modules to compete each other.
Roime
Yamagata Syndicate
Shadow Cartel
#26 - 2013-04-10 17:00:37 UTC
AAR is armor tanking 1.5, doesn't save the hole scene, but offers some improvements.

On frigs it works, just like T2 reppers (and even T1) always worked, even without any bonuses.

On medium size, the biggest problem area it still needs some work.

+ it's a clear improvement on plate+repper fits, works especially well with a reactive armor hardener on T2 hulls in solo/small gang pvp. Plate+RAH allow enough buffer to carry you over the reload. Add Legion links, and you'll get over 2000 hps tank against antimatter or kinetic missiles on an Oneiros.

+ it improves PVE Domi tank enough to make soloing C3 anoms as fast as a Tengu.

- it is expensive to use

- it does not save T1 armor tanking ships like Myrmidon, which still don't rep enough

- it certainly does not make active armor viable on non-bonused T1 ships

- you die just as easily to neuts as before

- it uses same amount of cap regardless of it's rep amount

Mild buff to all medium and large reppers, say 7-10% rep amount and as much decrease in cap usage, AARs included would balance things. I'd also shorten cap booster reload times by as much as 50% to reduce the need to fit multiple boosters.

Drake Doe
88Th Tax Haven
#27 - 2013-04-10 17:40:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Drake Doe
Since armor shouldn't equal shields can we get an active layering mod to increase our buffer? (high slot mod)

Edit: damn it Dust, I meant a mid.

"The homogenization of EVE began when Gallente and Caldari started sharing a weapon system."---Vermaak Doe-- "Ohh squabbles ohh I love my dust trolls like watching an episode of Maury with less " Is he my Dad " but more of " My Neighbor took a dump on my lawn " good episode! pops more corn" ---Evernub--

Ark Destroyer
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#28 - 2013-04-10 19:25:48 UTC
Allot of you just need to broaden your options for using an AAR.

Think of this scenario: you have a full EHP battleship like say a navy megathron, tons of EHP, good resists, yadda yadda.

Let's pretend that ship is fighting a second one, only the 2nd one dropped a plate for a large AAR.

navy mega 2: Has abit less armor, but can run the AAR while fighting for all cycles, have it reload while the EHP holds, and repair again.

So in this fight the 2nd navy mega over time will actually have a larger buffer because it can rep (rather well) for each cycle/reload, while having its buffer still hold out over the 60 second reload. This makes repping the buffer much more cap efficient.

To reiterate:

AAR's can be used on large buffer ships to increase the overall armor your enemy needs to chew threw, by surviving for the 60 second reload. This has held true in a few situations, it effectively gives you an even large armor buffer, if the buffer is large enough to survive at least 60 seconds, which in most small/medium gang pvp is common.

It also works well as some people have mentioned in junction with normal armor repairers. For example you have a 3 rep ship, you can run your AAR first, giving the most efficient armor repairing and another if needed. Once the AAR runs out, you can simply use your 3rd rep to hold while it reloads. Than the AAR is reloading, use it + another if needed, makes a more efficient and stronger armor tank overall. ASB's can't do this tactic very well because if you wanted to do it, you would need the ASB, another booster, and a cap injector as well to run the other booster. ASB'S you pretty much run strong till the cap charges/your cap runs out, than you blow up. AAR'S you have a better chance at outlasting in junction with another rep/2reps or a large enough buffer to survive the initial 60 second reload.

Neutral Talent CEO Specializing in "complete" super-capital packages

Complete supercapital packages

Bugsy VanHalen
Society of lost Souls
#29 - 2013-04-10 20:44:30 UTC
I love the AAR. It is so good I have switched my mision typhoon from shields back to armor. The boosted rep amount is just huge. tool tips do not show the boosted amount, only the amount the rep does without the boost. i.e. no charges. multiply that by three and you basically got a dual rep for the cap and slot cost of a single rep. You don't need to waste slots on boost amps as the armor rep boosters are rigs. With a large AAR and two nano pumps I get a base rep of 585hp. loaded with nanite paste that becomes 1755hp per cycle.

I can see why they did not let you fit two of these to a ship. Ships that had viable dual large reps before would then have the equivalent of quad rep with the same fitting costs. 3510 armor rep not even maxed out? That would be way OP.

The only down side is the cost of the Nanite paste, which I now make myself, from my own PI products. I sell way more than I use, but at least I do not have to buy it. I know the opportunity cost is the same if I make it myself, rather than buy it. But really it is not. nanite paste is way over priced. 1 gel matrix biopaste + 1 Data chip + 4 nanites equals 10 nanite repair paste. I am making more profit off nanite repair paste than I ever did off fuel blocks. I am still making fuel blocks to run my tower, just cut back production a bit to add nanite paste into the mix.

Cap charges used by the ASB may be cheap but you can not carry many. Every ship fit I use an ASB on has a full cargohold of cap boosters. Nanite paste I carry a stack of 500, and it still does not take up much of my cargo hold.

For anyone who armor tanks and wishes they could fit a dual large rep on their ship, but can not without dropping something else they want. Well this is the solution.
Roime
Yamagata Syndicate
Shadow Cartel
#30 - 2013-04-11 07:18:27 UTC
It's only 1.6x T2 repper, not equal to dual rep.

Lloyd Roses
Artificial Memories
#31 - 2013-04-11 07:44:15 UTC
I'm quite happy till now. At least tried it on active tanked absos, one t2 med rep and one ancillary rep, pre-overloaded.
Just running the regular armor repper and pulsing the OH AAR, makes up for some nice tank. About the cap thing: The AAR saves cap, since you need less cycles for the same amount of repair.
Also works great for hybrid tanked Brutixes with a 1600plate and a MAAR, works also great on the ishtar with MAR+MAAR, or the myrmidon (2 MAR+MAAR).

Previous page12