These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

How Long Do The Clones Have Left?

Author
Crazy Captain Nemo
Nova Corps Marines
#1 - 2013-04-09 18:00:01 UTC
Over the past few months the new clone soldiers that have become the measuring stick for both empire and private militaries have fallen under a lot of scrutiny and controversy. The most notable example that comes to mind is when Heth ordered the eradication of all clones currently under the authority of the Caldari state (OOC link to chronicle is here). Most of the fear I have found towards these clones soldiers is directed towards the first generation clones who have a propensity for various forms of insanity. I am worried about the state of the clone soldiers as a whole, you see my cousin became one not to long ago. And with Heth's open hostility towards the clones as a whole and the general distrust most humans in New Eden have for them I am begining to wonder how long my cousin, and the men and women he fights beside, have before the galaxy decides they are more trouble than they are worth? Should such an event happened he and I have devised a way to ensure his and a small group of his allies safety but there is a part of me worried about the rest of them. I was wondering what my fellow pilots thoughts on the matter were if any?
Pieter Tuulinen
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#2 - 2013-04-09 20:18:45 UTC
There were all sorts of alarums and excursions when capsuleers were loosed on an unsuspecting cluster. The second generation of soldiers seem no more or less eccentric than we are - they will find their niche.

For the first time since I started the conversation, he looks me dead in the eye. In his gaze are steel jackhammers, quiet vengeance, a hundred thousand orbital bombs frozen in still life.

Tatiana Yazria
Dragon Logistics
#3 - 2013-04-09 20:27:47 UTC
How do you kill that which does not die?
Quinzel Nikulainen
Kokako Acquisitions
#4 - 2013-04-09 20:30:18 UTC
Tatiana Yazria wrote:

You forget about it.

Ex-Kaalakiota citizen. Ex-Hyasyoda citizen. CEO of KŌKAK, a Nugoeihuvi affiliate corporation.

Crazy Captain Nemo
Nova Corps Marines
#5 - 2013-04-09 23:59:26 UTC
Tatiana Yazria wrote:

Same way you kill one of us. Find and liquidate all of the soldiers reserve clones, once he dies he will have no clone to go into and cannot be revived. They can die the same as we can, Doesn't mean it's easy though.
Crazy Captain Nemo
Nova Corps Marines
#6 - 2013-04-09 23:59:48 UTC
Pieter Tuulinen wrote:
There were all sorts of alarums and excursions when capsuleers were loosed on an unsuspecting cluster. The second generation of soldiers seem no more or less eccentric than we are - they will find their niche.

That is my hope
Sepherim
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#7 - 2013-04-10 01:52:10 UTC
I believe it'll depend: if they can make themselves be useful to the powers that exist, they'll have long existances... if they can't, their project will be turned off. Quickly. But, as it currently stands, I believe they'll have plenty of chances to make themselves useful, unfortunately there's never too many people willing to kill.

Sepherim Catillah Praetoria Imperialis Excubitoris Liuteneant Ex-Imperial Navy Imperator Commander

Malcolm Khross
Doomheim
#8 - 2013-04-10 02:35:21 UTC
It is human nature to fear that which you do not understand, to mistrust that which is different and yet to be driven toward such things by curiosity.

The days ahead will prove to be the testing ground for these clones as they make their mark on the cluster. As has happened before, when the dust settles they will have carved their place into existence.

~Malcolm Khross

Diana Kim
Kenshin Katana.
United Caldari Space Command.
#9 - 2013-04-10 07:38:26 UTC
Tatiana Yazria wrote:

Death is an act of release.
Without death you can set your enemy into eternal cycle of pain.

Honored are the dead, for their legacy guides us.

In memory of Tibus Heth, Caldari State Executor YC110-115, Hero and Patriot.

Denak Calamari
Incorruptibles
#10 - 2013-04-11 04:29:05 UTC
We can be killed the same way as a capsuleer can be killed with the forementioned way, but again this is probably going to be a long, expensive and difficult project if any of the empires actually wanted to eradicate all dropclone soldiers. And even if we are met with overwhelmkng force, I am fairly certain they can never eradicate us completely, simply because our numbers keep growing and there will always be a few individuals who survive the purge.
Karak Bol
Low-Sec Survival Ltd.
#11 - 2013-04-11 12:40:08 UTC
I think the controversy about the immortal soldiers goes deeper than what the first capsuleers experienced. A capsuleer can take many roades. He can create, he can repair, he can research. The soldiers, and I think all know that, are just a tool of war. What happens to the tool, if its not needed anymore? It is discarded. We can just find another occupation to fill our eternity, the soldiers cannot. So its in their best interest, that war never ends. Pretty psychopathic if you think about it...
Quinzel Nikulainen
Kokako Acquisitions
#12 - 2013-04-11 13:26:03 UTC
Karak Bol wrote:
We can just find another occupation to fill our eternity, the soldiers cannot.

Has anybody tried asking one if they'd consider a lucrative career as a stunt-double?

Ex-Kaalakiota citizen. Ex-Hyasyoda citizen. CEO of KŌKAK, a Nugoeihuvi affiliate corporation.

Crazy Captain Nemo
Nova Corps Marines
#13 - 2013-04-11 13:27:46 UTC
Karak Bol wrote:
I think the controversy about the immortal soldiers goes deeper than what the first capsuleers experienced. A capsuleer can take many roades. He can create, he can repair, he can research. The soldiers, and I think all know that, are just a tool of war. What happens to the tool, if its not needed anymore? It is discarded. We can just find another occupation to fill our eternity, the soldiers cannot. So its in their best interest, that war never ends. Pretty psychopathic if you think about it...

There are many, like my cousin, who have already contracted themselves to private capsuleer run organisations. I feel that even if the four main empires try and purge them the soldiers will always have a place in the lower security areas of New Eden. This kind of a limiting factor bothers me though. What really interests me, and I would need to talk to someone much more intelligent than myself to ge this question asked, could a clone soldier be placed in a modified pod of sorts and survive? In essence the implants we capsuleers have are quite similar to the ones the clone soldiers have but on a smaller scale. So I wonder if their implants could be modified in order to be placed in a pod safely? And even if so could they be as effective as we are and or preform at all?
Crazy Captain Nemo
Nova Corps Marines
#14 - 2013-04-11 13:31:54 UTC
Denak Calamari wrote:
We can be killed the same way as a capsuleer can be killed with the forementioned way, but again this is probably going to be a long, expensive and difficult project if any of the empires actually wanted to eradicate all dropclone soldiers. And even if we are met with overwhelmkng force, I am fairly certain they can never eradicate us completely, simply because our numbers keep growing and there will always be a few individuals who survive the purge.

Surviving the "Purge" as you put it, if such an event were to occur, wouldn't be the problem. The problem would be in duplicating the implant technology. The clone soldiers are tough yes, but even they bleed and "die" with enough force enacted on them. Soldiers such as yourself are functionally immortal like we Capsuleers but if the soldiers were to be outlawed and the factories that create the clones for them shut down eventually the soldiers woudl run out of clones. Eventually the clones would all get used up. Unless one of the clones has enough understanding of the technology and funding in order to secretly replicate it suriving the "purge" would be all but useless in my opinion.
Kytre Aurgnet
Better Hide R Die EVE
#15 - 2013-04-11 21:17:21 UTC
Crazy Captain Nemo wrote:
Denak Calamari wrote:

Surviving the "Purge" as you put it, if such an event were to occur, wouldn't be the problem. The problem would be in duplicating the implant technology. The clone soldiers are tough yes, but even they bleed and "die" with enough force enacted on them. Soldiers such as yourself are functionally immortal like we Capsuleers but if the soldiers were to be outlawed and the factories that create the clones for them shut down eventually the soldiers woudl run out of clones. Eventually the clones would all get used up. Unless one of the clones has enough understanding of the technology and funding in order to secretly replicate it suriving the "purge" would be all but useless in my opinion.

I believe they have (or will have shortly) the backing of Genolution, so I don't think that even outlawing their creation in Empire Space will really have an impact on their numbers...
Evi Polevhia
Phoenix Naval Operations
Phoenix Naval Systems
#16 - 2013-04-11 23:45:53 UTC
Something being banned in Empire Space simply encourages it to thrive elsewhere.
Katran Luftschreck
Royal Ammatar Engineering Corps
#17 - 2013-04-12 02:41:30 UTC
I got two words for ya: Ice Hockey

http://youtu.be/t0q2F8NsYQ0