These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Bumping cruise missiles

Author
Smug face Makbema
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#1 - 2013-04-09 16:54:44 UTC
To compensate for the long travel times of missiles when snipping making the missiles do micro bumping to simulate the blast wave from the huge explosion. Forcing the target out of align with each hit.

thoughtsQuestion
Tchulen
Trumpets and Bookmarks
#2 - 2013-04-09 16:59:02 UTC
It could potentially make them way OP. A small fleet of stealth bombers could perma bump a ship with no actual skill or effort.
Aglais
Ice-Storm
#3 - 2013-04-09 17:01:27 UTC
Tchulen wrote:
It could potentially make them way OP. A small fleet of stealth bombers could perma bump a ship with no actual skill or effort.

He said cruise missiles. I'm fairly certain SBs don't get a fitting bonus to them, only torps.
Kali Omega
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#4 - 2013-04-09 17:09:59 UTC
People still use cruise missiles?!
Naomi Knight
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#5 - 2013-04-09 17:27:04 UTC
Kali Omega wrote:
People still use cruise missiles?!

no
Gypsio III
Questionable Ethics.
Ministry of Inappropriate Footwork
#6 - 2013-04-09 17:33:42 UTC
It would essentially make cruise a chance-based warp disruptor, as it would have the effect of preventing a warp-out at unpredictable random occasions. So, horrible, then.

Just make them faster and more damaging, there's no need for crazy ideas. Smile
Jacid
The Upside Down
Forfeiture
#7 - 2013-04-09 17:53:49 UTC
I always thought that cruise should have high alpha and medium dps at the cost of delayed damage compared to other large weapon systems
Johnson Oramara
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#8 - 2013-04-09 18:09:10 UTC
What if the damage was dependant of the speed it hits the target? As you launch the missile it starts very slow but starts picking up speed and the longer it flies the faster it goes and harder it hits. I don't like the idea of just making them faster and faster and faster until they are just another gun.
Xe'Cara'eos
A Big Enough Lever
#9 - 2013-04-09 18:46:06 UTC
Johnson Oramara wrote:
What if the damage was dependant of the speed it hits the target? As you launch the missile it starts very slow but starts picking up speed and the longer it flies the faster it goes and harder it hits. I don't like the idea of just making them faster and faster and faster until they are just another gun.

I like this - also ties in with caldari ranged warfare philosophy

For posting an idea into F&I: come up with idea, try and think how people could abuse this, try to fix your idea - loop the process until you can't see how it could be abused, then post to the forums to let us figure out how to abuse it..... If your idea can be abused, it [u]WILL[/u] be.

Ager Agemo
Rainbow Ponies Incorporated
#10 - 2013-04-09 19:37:11 UTC
Johnson Oramara wrote:

******* BEST IDEA EVER O,O! it would actually make cruise missiles REALLY REALLY nice for sniping stuff at super long distances. would easily revive long range warfare, think about it... at 220 kilometers they could do thrice their normal damage for example.
Drake Doe
88Th Tax Haven
#11 - 2013-04-09 19:42:35 UTC
Would the range damage multiplier apply to all sniping missiles? I could see the currently fine frigate and cruiser missiles becoming op in that case.

"The homogenization of EVE began when Gallente and Caldari started sharing a weapon system."---Vermaak Doe-- "Ohh squabbles ohh I love my dust trolls like watching an episode of Maury with less " Is he my Dad " but more of " My Neighbor took a dump on my lawn " good episode! pops more corn" ---Evernub--

JamesCLK
#12 - 2013-04-09 19:49:16 UTC
Base damage would have to be scaled down and the multiplier would need to flatten out eventually, but I actually like the range damage multiplier idea.

-- -.-- / -.-. .-.. --- -. . / .. ... / - --- --- / . -..- .--. . -. ... .. ...- . / - --- / ..- -. -.. --- -.-. -.- / ... - --- .--. / .--. .-.. . .- ... . / ... . -. -.. / .... . .-.. .--. / ... - --- .--.

sabre906
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2013-04-09 21:19:22 UTC
Jacid wrote:
I always thought that cruise should have high alpha and medium dps at the cost of delayed damage compared to other large weapon systems

^This.

Cruise should have been what arty was made into. Delayed dmg is its balancing factor. Arty's instant alpha with no balancing factor is game breaking. When you see Abaddon blobs with 1400s, you know something's off.
Debir Achen
Makiriemi Holdings
#14 - 2013-04-11 03:33:59 UTC
Consider cruises with an alpha of 6-10k per missile, speed about 2.5km/s (with skills V and bonused hull), negligible explosion velocity penalty but explosion radius of around 300 (before skills, as per current). Reduce RoF to keep DPS in line, though biased slightly high to compensate for limitations. Further, to hamper use at point-blank range, the missiles travel 20km (?) in their initial firing direction before arming - until this point, they will not "hit" anything.

The same idea could be scaled down for light and heavy versions, and up for dreads.

I think this makes for an interesting PvP weapon system. Anything that can't outrun it is going to hurt, but you have time to get out of the way (or set up a firewall). Possibly slightly over-powered for PvE (given that DPS will be a higher than other systems), but partly balanced by slow RoF and time-to-target meaning you need to manage firing patterns carefully to avoid wasting shots. If further balancing is required, tweak defender missile use by large PvE targets.

Aren't Caldari supposed to have a large signature?

Tchulen
Trumpets and Bookmarks
#15 - 2013-04-11 06:47:49 UTC
Aglais wrote:
Tchulen wrote:

He said cruise missiles. I'm fairly certain SBs don't get a fitting bonus to them, only torps.

Good point. Was off top of my head at the time and my head wasn't on right. My point stands though. A small fleet of ships fitted with cruise launchers could effectively keep someone in place like they had 100+km ranged warp disruptors.

Also, if cruise missiles do that due to size and power surely torps would too, being bigger and more powerful.
Caitlyn Tufy
Perkone
Caldari State
#16 - 2013-04-11 07:22:30 UTC
Smug face Makbema wrote:
To compensate for the long travel times of missiles when snipping making the missiles do micro bumping to simulate the blast wave from the huge explosion. Forcing the target out of align with each hit.

thoughtsQuestion

Ungroup - > launch missiles one at a time with 1s delay between waves. = permanent bump.

sabre906 wrote:
Jacid wrote:

^This.

Cruise should have been what arty was made into. Delayed dmg is its balancing factor. Arty's instant alpha with no balancing factor is game breaking. When you see Abaddon blobs with 1400s, you know something's off.

Fair enough and it would fit the whole "we're the kings of range" that the Caldari have going, but what would arties be then?
Garresh
Quality Assurance
#17 - 2013-04-11 07:33:18 UTC
Johnson Oramara wrote:

My first instinct was "wow this guy is ********". But now that I think about it. Optimal range is a mechanic intrinsic to eve. Missiles bypass it to some extent, with damage based only on speed. The idea of a missile with "reverse falloff" could have some interesting applications...

This Space Intentionally Left Blank

Garresh
Quality Assurance
#18 - 2013-04-11 07:35:23 UTC
Caitlyn Tufy wrote:
Smug face Makbema wrote:

thoughtsQuestion

Ungroup - > launch missiles one at a time with 1s delay between waves. = permanent bump.

sabre906 wrote:
Jacid wrote:

^This.

Fair enough and it would fit the whole "we're the kings of range" that the Caldari have going, but what would arties be then?

Cruise missiles without a delay. Still a valid distinguishing factor...

This Space Intentionally Left Blank