These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

Medium sized Gallente kiting

Author
Denuo Secus
#1 - 2013-04-08 12:26:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Denuo Secus
Hi,

atm I'm trying some solo kiting tactics using Gallente cruisers. Mostly it ends in a fireball on my side ^^

Kiting with Gallente frigs works nice since I can use rails without having a problem with anything smaller and faster compared to my ship. At BC level we have the blaster Talos, works nice. I think even after the TE nerf. BS kiting is something I never really hear much about. But considering what was announced about BS tiericide, the Mega will become a fast attack BS...so maybe it can kite to some degree. After all, large blasters are able to reach anything inside long point range when using Null ammo.

So left out are cruisers. A very rewarding platform for kiting imho. But I fail to make it work when using Gallente t1 cruisers. My goal is ~250 DPS @17km. A neutron Thorax can do this atm. Not that much after the TE change I guess. More important: it's very thin because of the fitting requirements of neutrons. So rails. Now I have tracking issues. Even with the tracking bonus of the Thorax. I had great success with a rail Atron but I fail to make it work one class above.

Vexor: drones don't work well at kiting range because when I'm solo everyone just shoots my drones - simply because they cannot reach me.

I'd prefer rails because I like the option to reach targets at 50km as well. In PvP videos I see people "kiting" with low tier blasters - they just separate targets and get close in the right moment to deal a lot of damage. Looks nice in videos but as soon as you're facing a somewhat disciplined or experienced target they stick together. That's why I like the option to stay at 50km while beeing annoying at least. That way it's much easier to separate targets as well.

Did someone here have success with Gallente T1 kiting cruisers? If so: what am I doing wrong? I hope I just need some more practice - lack of RL skills would be ok for me. But I fear I'm just trying the ultra hard mode.

Any hint?
Thanks!
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2013-04-08 13:39:08 UTC
navy exeq after the change would probably suit your needs.
Praxis Ginimic
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2013-04-08 14:07:16 UTC
Medium rails are crap right now. Stick with blasters or use rupture/caracal.
Kalihira
Ultramar Independent Contracting
#4 - 2013-04-08 14:29:06 UTC
a shield blaster thorax is probably the best choice for what you want.
Noisrevbus
#5 - 2013-04-08 14:46:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Noisrevbus
I'd probably look at kiting, with a twist, on the Vigilant.

Web bonus, good fitting and slottage and a falloff-bonus.

Get an FN web and fringe-kite within point-range, use the web as a disengagement tool and frigate-killer.

Some 420 dps @ 24 /w Null (half falloff) and H-II's (35k @ 60% buffer or the option to run active tank if you don't DP).

The obvious difference to a common Minmatar kiter, of course, being that you focus on using the web to place yourself on different sides of hostile points rather than using speed and point similarily. The same goes for the tracking, your typical oldschool Vaga used the transversal void and W-II's to deal with Frigates, you use the web to create the void and should be able to make even H-II's connect fairly decent under that.

It's less forgiving against multiple targets since you are more dependent on your tackle than sheer speed, but it's not impossible to cycle through small tackle and killing them quick. Wether you want to DP with an AB or use a booster in those scenarios is pretty much up to you. Your base speed is some 230, meaning you can web 2.3km/s ships down to your void if they scram you, whereas you should be able to void virtually any ship with a DP-AB but much more sensitive cap ofc.

Finally, dealing with other kiters mean you need to surprise them with your wits and web (18km w/o Loki, 27km /w Loki), as most ~30km kiters will be out of your reach if they use Faction points and/or Lokis. There is very little wiggle-room for them though, and if you play your cards right you should be able to snag a surprising catch and end the bout quickly.

If you are looking for LR-kiting (mobile sniping), specificly on Gallente Cruiser hulls in slightly larger (fully supported) gangs i'd probably look at Sentries before i looked at Rails. The one redeeming factor of Rails in the old ammo-balance was that it had superior tracking at equal ranges (eg., Thorium-setups), but since the Projectile changes that isn't much of an argument anymore since Minmatar got MR ammo with tracking bonuses.

The way you laid out the OP with all those restrictions you might as well say "How do i make a Rails Thorax useful?", so i took the liberty to extrapolate a bit while still keeping it sensibly within topic.
Dato Koppla
Rattini Tribe
Minmatar Fleet Alliance
#6 - 2013-04-08 15:22:39 UTC
Deimos has falloff bonus too if you don't wanna break the bank with a vigilant.
Noisrevbus
#7 - 2013-04-08 16:55:21 UTC
Dato Koppla wrote:
Deimos has falloff bonus too if you don't wanna break the bank with a vigilant.

It doesn't have the web-bonus though, which is significant given the situation of "kiting" (ie., being able to beat down fast tackle quick enough to enable kiting against multiple non Recon-push hostiles).

The bonused web is basicly what enables it, a standard web won't have the snap-kill necessary to pull it off alone or very small gang.
sabre906
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2013-04-08 17:32:45 UTC
Medium rails shall suck forever. Medium blasters will after TE nerf. Time to crosstrain.Smile
Maeltstome
Ten Thousand Days
#9 - 2013-04-09 12:50:43 UTC
You can pretty much use 'Keep at range' with a 90% web on a Vigilant. This means 0 transversal, which means rails work. against larger targets you can use rails anyway.

Rail Vigilant with loki links kthnx.
Idicious Lightbane
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2013-04-10 06:39:43 UTC
[Vigilant, solo]

Federation Navy Magnetic Field Stabilizer
Fourier Transform Tracking Program
Internal Force Field Array I
Nanofiber Internal Structure II

Dark Blood Stasis Webifier
Republic Fleet Warp Disruptor
Experimental 10MN Microwarpdrive I
X-Large Ancillary Shield Booster, Navy Cap Booster 400

Heavy Neutron Blaster II, Null M

Medium Processor Overclocking Unit I
Medium Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer II
Medium Anti-Thermal Screen Reinforcer II

Hammerhead II x5

This with loki links is amazing, you have to put a few hundred mil more isk into it to get a fed navy web on it, but it can kite out around 24km with null, and be able to go in with void to quickly blap targets due to it's high burst tank.
Mister Tuggles
Dickhead Corner
Amarr Shithole
#11 - 2013-04-10 09:26:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Mister Tuggles
Idicious Lightbane wrote:
[Vigilant, solo]

Internal Force Field Array I

Dark Blood Stasis Webifier
Republic Fleet Warp Disruptor
X-Large Ancillary Shield Booster, Navy Cap Booster 400

Medium Processor Overclocking Unit I
Medium Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer II
Medium Anti-Thermal Screen Reinforcer II

Hammerhead II x5

This with loki links is amazing, you have to put a few hundred mil more isk into it to get a fed navy web on it, but it can kite out around 24km with null, and be able to go in with void to quickly blap targets due to it's high burst tank.

He said solo, not dickwad off grid booster duo.

That being said Gal isn't really all that great for kiting. As everyone knows rails are pretty craptastic at the moment, and blasters are not very viable for trying to kite.

Your best bet is to cross train into Minmatar or Amarr. Arties, and lasers with scorch are pretty good at the whole kiting thing.
Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#12 - 2013-04-10 12:05:43 UTC
Small rail kiters are excellent, large blaster kiter currently the king of the kiting hill, large hybrids Eve-kill top 20 #1.

Medium rails are not in such a good shape due to lowish dps and mediocre tracking at intended range, and medium blasters lack the range.

I've done some testing with rail Rax, and it lacks the punch for solo pew, might work in small gangs, it is a fast ship.

Praxis Ginimic
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2013-06-28 18:50:55 UTC
I've had some success with pretending to kite in a heavy buffer vexor. Engage at range with drones. They know you're not fast enough to kite and try to jam right into web range. I use a dual web set up so once they get in it turns into an inescapable brawl.

I guess that doesn't really answer your question but it is an alternative
Whitehound
#14 - 2013-06-28 19:48:03 UTC
The Vexor is likely the best cruiser for this by a long shot.

If you want to use the Thorax with railguns then your best choice is to use it with Javelin M, which is not really such a bad ammo any longer. Not only does it deal a high amount of thermal damage (always nice), but has been given a 25% tracking bonus, which multiplies with the Thorax's own tracking speed bonus.

[Thorax, Kiter]

Damage Control II
Medium Ancillary Armor Repairer, Nanite Repair Paste
Reactive Armor Hardener
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II

10MN Afterburner II
Faint Warp Disruptor I
Fleeting Propulsion Inhibitor I
Faint Epsilon Warp Scrambler I

250mm Railgun II, Javelin M

Medium Ancillary Current Router I
Medium Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Medium Auxiliary Thrusters I

Hobgoblin II x5
Hornet EC-300 x5

Web and scram are used defensively here.

It does 400 DPS at 9km and 250 DPS at 24km (100 DPS from Hobgoblin IIs). So you should get your 250 DPS at 17km. The tracking speed is 0.05 rad/s and the max. velocity is 800 m/s. This puts the average tracking limit at 16km - just 1km under your 17km. As long as you do not brush your target against its fur will you get the DPS down without problems.

Alternatively can you switch the 2nd mag stab, which gets penalized anyway, for a TE (10% tracking bonus plus extra range) and can also use the freed CPU to exchange the T1 Warp Disruptor for the T2 version.

Loss is meaningful. Therefore is the loss of meaning likewise meaningful. It is the source of all trolling.

Voyager Arran
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2013-06-28 20:20:47 UTC
Oh god don't try to kite in an Afterburning ship you will get run down by a Ferox.
Whitehound
#16 - 2013-06-28 20:32:41 UTC
Voyager Arran wrote:
Oh god don't try to kite in an Afterburning ship you will get run down by a Ferox.

Any BC will be able to counter a cruiser in most situations. Tell us something we do not know.

Loss is meaningful. Therefore is the loss of meaning likewise meaningful. It is the source of all trolling.

Voyager Arran
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#17 - 2013-06-28 21:11:30 UTC
Whitehound wrote:
Voyager Arran wrote:
Tell us something we do not know.

Kiting at 800 m/s is a Bad Idea.
Voyager Arran
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#18 - 2013-06-28 21:14:40 UTC
Whitehound wrote:
Voyager Arran wrote:
Tell us something we do not know.

Kiting at 800 m/s is a Bad Idea. 10km is not a sufficient defensive envelope against anything using medium guns.

The Ferox was used as an example because it is a slow, terrible piece of **** and your Thorax still would not be able to get away from it because it somehow manages to be slower and shittier.
Whitehound
#19 - 2013-06-28 22:31:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Whitehound
Voyager Arran wrote:
Kiting at 800 m/s is a Bad Idea.

This is not the point. OP wants a kiting fit for the Thorax which uses railguns. The numbers he has given were 250 DPS at 17km with no tracking issues. If you want to discuss this then come with a fitting, which is on topic. Do not just give your opinion and lecture us on how BCs are better like it was a secret or something.

Here is a fit with an MWD for example:

[Thorax, Kiter]

Damage Control II
Medium Ancillary Armor Repairer, Nanite Repair Paste
Reactive Armor Hardener
Tracking Enhancer II
Tracking Enhancer II

Tracking Computer II, Tracking Speed Script
Medium Capacitor Booster II, Navy Cap Booster 400
Warp Disruptor II

Dual 150mm Railgun II, Federation Navy Uranium Charge M

Medium Anti-Thermic Pump I
Medium Anti-Kinetic Pump I
Medium Anti-Explosive Pump I

Hobgoblin II x5
Hornet EC-300 x5

A lot of extra tracking plus the rigs reduce the speed, because of their drawback. This gets the tracking about right and has got just about the required DPS. However, without web and scram can frigates get under the tracking and an MWD cruiser will also catch it. So do you rather run from a BC or do you prefer running from a frigate?! Whatever your preference is, it is not going to kill a BC either way.

I hope you realize how pointless your argument regarding a BC killing a cruiser is. You cannot win the game and the bigger ships will always be the nemesis of the smaller ones.

Voyager Arran
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#20 - 2013-06-28 23:36:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Voyager Arran
It's relevant if you linked him a 'kiting' fit that gets run down by MWD Battleships. The point was not that BCs are universally better (they aren't), but that your ship was ludicrously slow and completely incapable of doing the job it was designed for.

Anyways, here's a shield-tanked fit.

Quote:
[Thorax, Kiting]
Tracking Enhancer II
Damage Control II

Warp Disruptor II
Large F-S9 Regolith Shield Induction
Large F-S9 Regolith Shield Induction

200mm Railgun II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge M

Medium Ancillary Current Router I
Medium Core Defense Field Extender I
Medium Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I

You go ~2200 m/s with 300 DPS and a 15 km optimal. It needs AWU V and Shield Upgardes V to fit. You won't hit frigates that get close to you, but you'll have some time to pop them while they're trying to burn range (Thoraxes have great tracking) and you've got two flights of Warrior IIs. Rigs are interchangeable between shields and speed, but you don't have grid for any hybrid rigs. Cap life isn't great, so don't get caught up in something you can't get out of; the whole point of your ship is being able to get out of trouble.

Of course, at the end of the day, Medium Rails are basically just bad, and fits that rely on them are going to struggle. Barrage is just about objectively better.
123Next page