These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

SuperCarriers

Author
Zapps
White Star Trading
#1 - 2013-04-07 22:26:26 UTC
So obviously I know that in the time it takes to train a character things may be changed, nerfed, whatever... fighter bombers in themselves will probably get nerfed.

But assuming things stay somewhat how they are... what is better bonus wise

Minny bonus dosent seem that good unless I suppose it makes a big difference in spider tanking

Amarr and Cald seems like they may be the best due to armor and shield resists, but here the question is which is more practical really armor tanking or shield tanking

Nyx also seems pretty good with the extra damage... or dosnet it make much of a difference all things considered?

since it will be a fresh char it dosent really matter which I pick, I just wanna try to look long term and pick a decent ship.

Thanks
Mirel Dystoph
Perkone
Caldari State
#2 - 2013-04-07 22:48:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Mirel Dystoph
Aeon = Wyvern (if there is a shield super fleet) > Nyx > Hel

"Nothing essential happens in the absence of noise." 

Dato Koppla
Rattini Tribe
Minmatar Fleet Alliance
#3 - 2013-04-07 23:04:37 UTC
Not much experience in this sector but generally seems like shield sees little action on the Supercap front.
Zapps
White Star Trading
#4 - 2013-04-07 23:07:52 UTC
ok thank you... I was pretty sure armor was more common just wanted to make sure before I invested months of a char to find out I was wrong lol

That and I wasn't sure how the nyx stood up with its damage bonus
Capt Retard
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2013-04-08 12:27:22 UTC
Just to add fuel etc.

Armour - you will always be best - they have implants that let armour supers work best. And subsequently you get more armour support. Its why you never will see a shield fleet.

On that:
Aeon = major armour tank.
Wyv = major shield tank.
Nyx = ok armour tank + DPS
Hel = dont bother. Its useless.

Lets hark back to the truth. If your in a shield Super, then you aren't going to get a support gang to rep you. You are primary, and you die wayyyyy faster due to the lack of support.

The Wyv gets double the tank of a Hel. The Hel gets a laughable RR bonus with ****** cap and no cap transfer bonus. So if in a shield super gang, then make sure you bring some Hels, and voila - your Wyv is no longer primary.

But you say - its ok - I have a pile of Nids to come rep my Wyv / Hel. Sadly they cant do it even with a fab RR bonus as their cap is crap and their fit demands armour when doing shield RR - usless again.

Dont know why CCP dont get this as a problem. But the long and short is Armour only - implants to match, and DPS or tank with Nyx or Aeon.
Denuo Secus
#6 - 2013-04-08 12:48:08 UTC
I'm no capital pilot...but could the scale of the fight matter here? In large fleets the resist bonus of Amarr and Caldari scales very nicely. But in (comparable) smaller fleets more damage (Nyx) could be more important because getting rid of incoming damage is better than tanking it.

Just a thought.
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#7 - 2013-04-08 13:34:41 UTC
Now that we have drone damage amps to go in the low slots I think we might start seeing more shield carriers, but it'll take a long time for that to work through to shield capital fleet doctrines.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Ong
Lumberjack Commandos
#8 - 2013-04-08 13:52:19 UTC
The prevalence for armour supers mostly comes from back in the day when fleet bonus's were ******. Armour bonus's would instantly apply where as shield would not, you would end up with 20% missing from your shields after jumping into whatever system. So while in eft the ehp was similar, the shield supers, and all shield fleets in general, were starting off at a disadvantage to armour.

This meant that most sub cap fleets were armour, and therefore all the logy. So if the call came for supers to log on, you can be sure you wanted to be in an armour super that got instantly max bonus, and had the support logy to cap up and rep you if things went ****-up, not to mention also slaves.

As so many people already had supers, when the changes came to fleet bonus's no one wanted to switch, and so armour being the more popular kinda stuck.

As for today, if your going to do large cap fleets, in the likes of PL, Goons, test, NC. etc etc I would say having the larger ehp of the Aeon would be far more beneficial then the 2k more dps of the Nyx.

However conversely if you are planning on doing lowsec hot-dropping, where it is more important to gank and gtfo before you get counter dropped, the Nyx is better.
Nex apparatu5
Blackwood Co.
#9 - 2013-04-08 16:43:10 UTC
Aeons are the best overall.
Wyverns have an amazing tank, but most fleets are armor, so you won't get RR love.
Nyx does the most damage, which is awesome if you like being top damage. Also armor tanked, which means it should last longer than shield supers on the field. Also looks sexy.
Hel is for people who want to look sexy and have huge balls. Often referred to as a Capital Shield Extender, flying one is the ep
Ersahi Kir
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2013-04-08 16:51:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Ersahi Kir
Nex apparatu5 wrote:
Aeons are the best overall.
Wyverns have an amazing tank, but most fleets are armor, so you won't get RR love.
Nyx does the most damage, which is awesome if you like being top damage. Also armor tanked, which means it should last longer than shield supers on the field. Also looks sexy.
Hel is for people who want to look sexy and have huge balls. Often referred to as a Capital Shield Extender, flying one is the ep

Confirmed: Hel's look sexy.