These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

Twitch and Eve online

Author
Knights Armament
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#1 - 2013-04-08 02:09:03 UTC
Improving our presence on twitch.tv would increase our legitimacy as an e-sport that requires skill within the gaming community, I find it in bad taste that eve has such a small fan base for streaming, and I think the community should focus on promoting eve via the live streams in order to not only gain recognition, but increase interest in our beloved game.

So I propose the first ever reach out to the eve community, let this post be a motivating factor in populating twitch with eve streams, and increasing our viewer presence to gain front page recognition to complete with lesser games that don't deserve such followings.

Perhaps corporate leaders could be so obliged as to eve mail their respective player bases and to convince them to watch your stream, I also see great potential in using live streams as a mean of intelligence gathering with the possibility to have multiple people coordinating live local broadcasting in active pvp areas it may encourage more fights, and reduce gate camps, thanks to intelligence gathering from key covert ops streamers. This is just one way I see eve evolving in the future, another means may be an e-sport related tournaments that are player driven, and offer content that's not seen within other games, such as the psychological impact of losing isk, and items. Perhaps we could higher psyche major to talk about why meaningful pvp is the only pvp thats inspires emotion, and why eve players may or may not have micro dicks.
Hannah Flex
#2 - 2013-04-08 02:14:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Hannah Flex
Khira Kitamatsu
#3 - 2013-04-08 02:19:42 UTC
Don't think Twitch TV goes well with EVE due to the ability to know what a person or corp is doing. Might be OK for someone to stream doing missions, but beyond that...yea, not much.

Ponies!  We need more ponies!

Knights Armament
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#4 - 2013-04-08 02:26:16 UTC
I disagree with proper configuration you can keep people guessing as to your location, I suppose what really concerns me however are the vast amount of carebears within the twitch community who think they're good at pvp when they die and respawn.

If gaming is to survive this generation of sodapoppins we must invest into the twitch community and promote the chaotic beauty that is eve, not only is our game at stake here, but humanity. may turn into carebears literally through evolution.
Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#5 - 2013-04-08 02:26:20 UTC
Knights Armament wrote:
Improving our presence on twitch.tv would increase our legitimacy as an e-sport that requires skill within the gaming community

There's not even enough EvE players to post at game sites about the game, forget a niche of niches.

If folks want to promote EvE in other venues they have to be out there, even challenge other games.

Goto sites like MMORPG, and a thread about EvE will be steamrolled by the numbers of other game players alone, futher beating it down to a "sandbox" redheaded stepchild game ("sandbox" is a codeword for "fail" by other gamers) with less players than GW2.

It's even difficult to promote WoW at twitch, because those that follow it are those who'd arena, and that's not the main focus of that game. MLG won't even include it's arenas in it's lineup, as it's not balanced.

_"In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." _ ~George Orwell

Knights Armament
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#6 - 2013-04-08 02:30:32 UTC
Ace Uoweme wrote:
Knights Armament wrote:
Improving our presence on twitch.tv would increase our legitimacy as an e-sport that requires skill within the gaming community

There's not even enough EvE players to post at game sites about the game, forget a niche of niches.

If folks want to promote EvE in other venues they have to be out there, even challenge other games.

Goto sites like MMORPG, and a thread about EvE will be steamrolled by the numbers of other game players alone, futher beating it down to a "sandbox" redheaded stepchild game ("sandbox" is a codeword for "fail" by other gamers) with less players than GW2.

It's even difficult to promote WoW at twitch, because those that follow it are those who'd arena, and that's not the main focus of that game. MLG won't even include it's arenas in it's lineup, as it's not balanced.

The only solution is to have someone in the government, perhaps within the central intelligence agency promote eve online through terrorist means, perhaps a protest in new york, or taking over the satelites and incorporating a pirate broadcast announcing ccp as the overlords.
Khira Kitamatsu
#7 - 2013-04-08 02:31:28 UTC
Knights Armament wrote:
I disagree with proper configuration you can keep people guessing as to your location, I suppose what really concerns me however are the vast amount of carebears within the twitch community who think they're good at pvp when they die and respawn.

If gaming is to survive this generation of sodapoppins we must invest into the twitch community and promote the chaotic beauty that is eve, not only is our game at stake here, but humanity. may turn into carebears literally through evolution.

EVE has been dying for years, but the reality of it is that soon games like ELITE Dangerous, and Star Citizen with more diverse game play options will definitely hurt EVE's current population. Unless CCP gets serious and adds real avatar game play, players are more likely to go where avatar characters are as important as ships.

Ponies!  We need more ponies!

Vimsy Vortis
Shoulda Checked Local
Break-A-Wish Foundation
#8 - 2013-04-08 02:33:33 UTC
Streaming how my alliance does PVP in EVE would be about the most boring thing imaginable. Hours of people sitting around in a station flying their neutral scouts around while playing world of tanks looking for something to shoot at.

Then ten dudes in spider tanking battleships show up to camp one AFK corp member and everyone desperately scrambles to get there, you blow the dudes up, they whine about highsec PVP being terrible and that were were exploiting afterwards because they couldn't rep each-other because they gained limited engagement flags and had their safeties set green or they gained suspect flags and got engaged by neutrals because the place they decided to put their fleet was a trade hub undock.

Hours of waiting punctuated by brief periods of completely absurd combat followed by hours of people bitching because they made bad choices and got blown up might not be good to watch.

Although a stream showing what is actually involved in highsec PVP might be informative to some people. Going from the incredibly ill-informed nature of 90% of all forum comments about highsec conflict there does look to be an absence of information about it.
Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#9 - 2013-04-08 02:35:38 UTC
Knights Armament wrote:

If gaming is to survive this generation of sodapoppins

WTF is a 'sodapoppins'?

Please don't tell us it's some stupid WOW thing.

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Knights Armament
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#10 - 2013-04-08 02:36:51 UTC
Doc Fury wrote:
Knights Armament wrote:

If gaming is to survive this generation of sodapoppins

WTF is a 'sodapoppins'?

Hes the fred of wow
Knights Armament
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#11 - 2013-04-08 02:40:30 UTC
Then it is as I feared, we have already lost.

Star Citizen won't offer meaningful PvP, the game is based completely on hype, and will be a distant memory in the near future after its release.
Sentamon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#12 - 2013-04-08 08:31:19 UTC
EVE has a long ways to go before it can be a streaming hit. Little brackets and pizza pies all over the screen just won't cut it. The UI to start needs a complete overhaul so it's interesting to someone sitting back and viewing.

If streams looked something like most of the promo videos then it's got a great shot to be a hit on sites like twitch.

~ Professional Forum Alt  ~

Eurydia Vespasian
Storm Hunters
#13 - 2013-04-08 08:50:50 UTC
eve is a boring game to watch other people play. i sometimes fall asleep while watching my own screen...to say nothing of watching someone else watching theirs.
Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#14 - 2013-04-08 08:53:40 UTC
Doc Fury wrote:

It's not WoW speak.

_"In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." _ ~George Orwell

Sentient Blade
Crisis Atmosphere
Coalition of the Unfortunate
#15 - 2013-04-08 09:20:10 UTC
CCP could maybe work with Twitch to have an official 'EVE Players' stream which got shared between a few different people.

Or maybe just have a dedicated "I'm sitting on a titan" cam.
Ruskarn Andedare
Lion Investments
#16 - 2013-04-08 10:31:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Ruskarn Andedare
Ace Uoweme wrote:
Doc Fury wrote:

WTF is a 'sodapoppins'?

It's not WoW speak.

cool, so WTF is a 'sodapoppins'?

Edit: tried searching for 'sodapoppins' and all I found was WoW stuff Twisted
Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#17 - 2013-04-08 11:19:20 UTC
I streamed some on twitch the other day and felt like a pro - even though I'm not.

/c

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

I Love Boobies
All Hail Boobies
#18 - 2013-04-08 11:40:57 UTC
Chribba wrote:
I streamed some on twitch the other day and felt like a pro - even though I'm not.

/c

Mining Veldspar, eh?
Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#19 - 2013-04-08 11:43:02 UTC
I Love Boobies wrote:
Chribba wrote:

/c

Mining Veldspar, eh?

Well sorta, I was running around in the Veldspar DUST.

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

Zak Breen
Breen Enterprises
#20 - 2013-04-08 12:32:17 UTC
The only time it got any decent viewer counts was during the Caldari Prime incident - otherwise it's boring as all hell to watch. Especially if a person who has never played it... "What's this? Dots on a screen? People actually PAY to play this game?" Lol

Maturity, one discovers, has everything to do with the acceptance of not knowing. http://www.di.fm/spacemusic

123Next page