These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why make auto-pilot so slow?

Author
Felicity Love
Doomheim
#41 - 2013-04-06 23:54:35 UTC
Angen Oskold wrote:
What is the point of making auto pilot so slow?

It is already quite dangerous as the user isn't paying close attention.

And whose fault is that? Cry

If you are paying attention you aren't using AP, and thus saving huge amounts of time as you no doubt warp to zero every time.

True story.

"EVE is dying." -- The Four Forum Trolls of the Apocalypse.   ( Pick four, any four. They all smell.  )

Sharon Anne
Gorthaur Legion
Imperium Mordor
#42 - 2013-04-07 00:03:09 UTC
The only thing I would add to AP is that it turn on my AB on my approach to the gate/station. Idea
Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#43 - 2013-04-07 00:25:21 UTC
Stray Bullets wrote:
If you have better things to do with your day, log off and go do those things! Why are you insisting on playing a game when you really want to do something better with your day?

WoW has it now if you blindly fly, you're going to hit flocks of birds that can attack and demount you...splat!

So if the so-called easier games have this mechanic, someone is asking for an easier way to play than WoW.

_"In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." _ ~George Orwell

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#44 - 2013-04-07 00:53:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
Several very good reasons dictate how auto pilot works, but the chief among them are...

1: Providing ample time to be scanned, targeted, and blown up... even if you are in a relatively quick ship.

2: Distance in EvE is an important variable. Most likely you thought about this as you auto piloted to Jita from where ever in the the EvE universe. Even with the current mechanics it is far to easy and quick to just autopilot there instead of developing your local markets. This is a bad thing. Easy projection of force is another, but more complex issue I'm not going to go into again.

If you want to travel quickly to your destination, with a higher degree of safety, pilot manually.

If you choose to put it on auto, it's going to be slower and far riskier. This is by design.

One last thought, for the gentleman that likened auto pilot to cruise control on a car (saying it's there to relieve the tedium) what say the next long trip you take you just throw on cruise control and hop in the back seat for a nap. Lets see how far you get. Smile

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Psychotic Monk
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#45 - 2013-04-07 01:08:36 UTC
Zaraz Zaraz wrote:

I want a game where I can leave the keyboard any time I want without risk of losing anything particularly valuable in the game.

People are entitled to have fun and lives as well. Eve discourages people from leaving their keyboards while playing. Therefore, Eve is against life.

Do you expect to be able to walk away from a match in Street Fighter at any time and not lose?

If not, then why do you think of EVE any differently?
Fredfredbug4
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#46 - 2013-04-07 02:45:05 UTC
Angen Oskold wrote:

Incorrect: It's only dangerous to travel at full speed in hi-sec if you are flying something with an extremely slow align time which the majority of players do not fly. Normal speed travel is only dangerous outside of hi-sec and if you plan on using autopilot outside of high then you deserve to lose your ship.

Quote:
Speeding it up would help alleviate the tedium of traveling distances - and reduce a pointless frustration for players.

Incorrect: Autopilot is for traveling while AFK, if you are sitting there bored out of your mind watching your ship autopilot then you're doing it wrong.

Quote:
At the same time, it wouldn't have a serious impact on the safety of traveling either.

Incorrect: Autopilot going at normal speed would make afking in hi-sec virtually 100% safe. You could afk an activity and afk move around, you've practically turned into a bot, which brings up another point. This would make bots much more efficient.

Horrible horrible horrible idea.

Watch_ Fred Fred Frederation_ and stop [u]cryptozoologist[/u]! Fight against the brutal genocide of fictional creatures across New Eden! Is that a metaphor? Probably not, but the fru-fru- people will sure love it!

Zaraz Zaraz
Zontik Paraphernalia Inc
#47 - 2013-04-07 09:05:47 UTC
Psychotic Monk wrote:
Zaraz Zaraz wrote:

I want a game where I can leave the keyboard any time I want without risk of losing anything particularly valuable in the game.

People are entitled to have fun and lives as well. Eve discourages people from leaving their keyboards while playing. Therefore, Eve is against life.

Do you expect to be able to walk away from a match in Street Fighter at any time and not lose?

If not, then why do you think of EVE any differently?

You are comparing an MMO with an arcade game?

Right...
Miilla
Hulkageddon Orphanage
#48 - 2013-04-07 09:17:46 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Ace Uoweme wrote:
Andski wrote:
hiseccers get crimewatch, the "last nerf" to 'unwanted' hisec aggression

dissatisfied, hiseccers demand more nerfs to hisec aggression

How do we know it's a high-sec poster? I mean I really don't hear them complaining about this issue. They'd more complain about the gatecamps at chokepoints just trying to play the game, though.

People dont tend to last long outside of high sec when using auto pilot.

They also don't last long in highsec either, especially 0.5 systems on AP.

Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#49 - 2013-04-07 09:29:16 UTC
Miilla wrote:

Funny, I've never gotten ganked while on autopilot, no matter how many times I autopilot through, say, niarja.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.

RIP Vile Rat

Miilla
Hulkageddon Orphanage
#50 - 2013-04-07 09:30:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Miilla
Lord Zim wrote:
Miilla wrote:

Funny, I've never gotten ganked while on autopilot, no matter how many times I autopilot through, say, niarja.

I did it one, in a light industrial with 4 tengu hulls and some apothoesis shuttles.

Thankfully everything got destroyed, worth about 1 bill. No big deal, i laughed once i read the kill mail wiht nothing dropped for him :)

This was in Esceama 0.5 an Rens to Amarr route, also near a highsec to null border gate.

Don't AP in empire unless you only fly 0.7+ routes which kind of limits your route as you will hit a 0.5 somewhere.
Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#51 - 2013-04-07 09:32:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Lord Zim
Miilla wrote:
I did it one, in a light industrial with 4 tengu hulls and some apothoesis shuttles.

I spotted your problem.

RIP Vile Rat

Miilla
Hulkageddon Orphanage
#52 - 2013-04-07 09:33:33 UTC
Lord Zim wrote:
Miilla wrote:

I spotted your problem.

So did he :)

No big loss anyway I was bored and lazy and got hit. :)

Was fun though :)
Lord Zim
Gallente Federation
#53 - 2013-04-07 09:39:42 UTC
So what you meant to say when you posted
Miilla wrote:

was that "people who are dumb and carry a billion isk in ships and misc other stuff in a ship which can be one-shot with a shitfit t3 will not last long in hisec either, especially 0.5 systems on AP", which is very different from "nobody'll last long in hisec either, especially 0.5 systems on AP", which is what you inferred.

Nobody cares about people who are losing ships while doing dumb things.

RIP Vile Rat

Reiisha
#54 - 2013-04-07 09:43:15 UTC
Angen Oskold wrote:

Speeding it up would help alleviate the tedium of traveling distances - and reduce a pointless frustration for players.
At the same time, it wouldn't have a serious impact on the safety of traveling either.

EVE already feels quite small due to warp to zero and jump bridges. It doesn't need fast(er) travel...

This would also seriously screw with regional markets, making Jita even more of a hellhole.

If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all...

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#55 - 2013-04-07 09:57:43 UTC
Andski wrote:
hiseccers get crimewatch, the "last nerf" to 'unwanted' hisec aggression

dissatisfied, hiseccers demand more nerfs to hisec aggression

That's why I always say "CCP hired an economist when they should have hired a psycologist".

People who feel entitled aren't the kinds of people for which enough is ever enough. In fact, IRL as it is in game, giving people more and more stuff or shortcuts tend to encourage them to want more of the same and adopt a "what have you don't for me lately" menatality.

You simply can't take people who can't be happy with what they have, give them more stuff and expect them to STFU.
Skeln Thargensen
Doomheim
#56 - 2013-04-07 10:10:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Skeln Thargensen
It's pretty dumb. If I have a dozen high sec jumps to make I'm sitting reading stuff in my browser and not particularly paying attention other than listening for the session change and pressing the jump button.

about the only time i use AP is if i'm shifting clones around in a shuttle

forums.  serious business.

LoJ4X
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#57 - 2013-04-07 11:48:12 UTC
Zaraz Zaraz wrote:
Stray Bullets wrote:
Sentient Blade wrote:
Angen Oskold wrote:

This is EVE, developed by CCP.

CCP believes that anyone that wishes to play their game should be punished by being made to sit at their desk performing the same repetitive set of mouse clicks time after time after time.

See also:
- Trading & Selling mission loot
- Research & Manufacture
- Planetary Interaction
- Mining
- Solo PVE

I jest, of course. I suspect the real reason is that making proper UI and dynamic, interactive in-space things is hard. Manual jumping is one of those particularly annoying ones in that there is an enforced period of time between actions (click click wait for warp... click click wait for warp) that makes a significant number of people reach for the "Automate this. I have better things to do with my day" button.

If you have better things to do with your day, log off and go do those things! Why are you insisting on playing a game when you really want to do something better with your day?

Bellow: Your logic in a nutshell!
"Guy chooses to play a game. Complains game is too slow as he wants to do something better with his day. Proceeds to insinuate he should automate the game he doesn't want to play using that same fact as an excuse!"

TL;DR; entitlement <- look it up!

i can see how you suck in just about any videogame. AFK'ing in a game usually does not end well for the user and yes, this includes eve.
Miilla
Hulkageddon Orphanage
#58 - 2013-04-07 11:50:02 UTC
Play the game or... Leave the game.

I am 100% against any kind of automation especially if there is no higher risk of using said automation.

Multiboxing should also be banned as it gives those players an advantage over those that do not use automation.

Zaraz Zaraz
Zontik Paraphernalia Inc
#59 - 2013-04-07 12:07:58 UTC
LoJ4X wrote:

i can see how you suck in just about any videogame. AFK'ing in a game usually does not end well for the user and yes, this includes eve.

I have fun, is that the same as sucking?
Zaraz Zaraz
Zontik Paraphernalia Inc
#60 - 2013-04-07 12:08:23 UTC
Miilla wrote:
Play the game or... Leave the game.

I am 100% against any kind of automation especially if there is no higher risk of using said automation.

Multiboxing should also be banned as it gives those players an advantage over those that do not use automation.

Yeah, more mindless button pushing ftw!