These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Expedition Bookmarks/Sharing

Author
Frabba
Perkone
Caldari State
#1 - 2013-03-30 19:04:22 UTC
In null security space, one of the most common forms of PVE engaged in is running anomalies. These sites have a small chance to escalate into an expedition, which generates a private exploration complex that the pilot can then attempt to run for deadspace loot + OSE, which can be a significant amount of money. However, the higher end escalations often require a significantly greater force than what is required to clear the anomaly that granted the escalation. The result of this is that many players will use an alt more suited to running the complex, possibly bring in others to assist in running the exploration complex, or they will sell the location of the complex to individuals or organizations who will run the site for a chunk of the proceeds.

Currently, it is not possible to generate a usable bookmark directly from the expedition journal, despite the option being available. If one uses the “Save Location” feature in the exploration journal and saves a bookmark, and then gives that bookmark to another player, the bookmark does not provide the second player the option to to warp to it. In order to share the location of the site, the pilot who received the expedition must travel to the system the site is located in, warp to the site, and bookmark the acceleration gate. This is considerably less than ideal, and can be frustrating when one considers that the option to bookmark the site remotely is technically there, but not actually functional.

What I would like to propose, short of actually fixing the “save location” functionality from the exploration journal, is some sort of mechanism for the owner of an expedition to share the details with another. Nothing too crazy, just a pop up for you to put the desired players name in, hit ok, and now they also have the entry for the expedition in their journal. This would better enable the players to transfer the site to their alts, sell to the corps that run the sites, whatever the case may be, without having to potentially travel a significant amount of jumps just to drop a bookmark.

Given that the upcoming expansion has both exploration and "the little things" slated as high level feature points, I think this change would be worth implementing with the Odyssey expansion.

its me im the best poster.

TimNeilson
The Greater Goon
#2 - 2013-03-30 19:11:59 UTC
Frabba wrote:
In null security space, one of the most common forms of PVE engaged in is running anomalies. These sites have a small chance to escalate into an expedition, which generates a private exploration complex that the pilot can then attempt to run for deadspace loot + OSE, which can be a significant amount of money. However, the higher end escalations often require a significantly greater force than what is required to clear the anomaly that granted the escalation. The result of this is that many players will use an alt more suited to running the complex, possibly bring in others to assist in running the exploration complex, or they will sell the location of the complex to individuals or organizations who will run the site for a chunk of the proceeds.

Currently, it is not possible to generate a usable bookmark directly from the expedition journal, despite the option being available. If one uses the “Save Location” feature in the exploration journal and saves a bookmark, and then gives that bookmark to another player, the bookmark does not provide the second player the option to to warp to it. In order to share the location of the site, the pilot who received the expedition must travel to the system the site is located in, warp to the site, and bookmark the acceleration gate. This is considerably less than ideal, and can be frustrating when one considers that the option to bookmark the site remotely is technically there, but not actually functional.

What I would like to propose, short of actually fixing the “save location” functionality from the exploration journal, is some sort of mechanism for the owner of an expedition to share the details with another. Nothing too crazy, just a pop up for you to put the desired players name in, hit ok, and now they also have the entry for the expedition in their journal. This would better enable the players to transfer the site to their alts, sell to the corps that run the sites, whatever the case may be, without having to potentially travel a significant amount of jumps just to drop a bookmark.

Given that the upcoming expansion has both exploration and "the little things" slated as high level feature points, I think this change would be worth implementing with the Odyssey expansion.

******* this right here
Kyle Myr
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2013-03-30 19:14:36 UTC
I earned my first couple billion as the middleman in this process. Flying around bookmarking stages of escalations was honestly as much or more work than running the sites themselves (and the less fun part of the process, though I enjoyed navigating space and dodging hostiles). Occasionally, I got bookmarks from someone who'd right clicked and bookmarked from their journal, thinking that was how this process worked, and had to scramble to explain to them no, that's not how it works.

This is definitely one of the little things that could be improved about EVE.
Elmnt80
Life. Universe. Everything.
#4 - 2013-03-30 19:21:09 UTC
This without a doubt would be the best thing ever added to exploration and would benefit everyone everywhere. There is nothing worse then doing a site with someone and having to make sure the right person shoots this or that trigger so that the proper person gets the bookmark to the site, then the newbie doing the site shoots the escalation trigger by accident and dies a dozen times trying to get to the escalation site so the rest of the people can warp to it and do it.
vilya novacat
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#5 - 2013-03-30 21:09:30 UTC
What they said. Having that be a solar system bookmark is incredibly annoying.
Please do this.
IrJosy
Club 1621
#6 - 2013-03-30 22:38:01 UTC
Frabba for CSM!
Frabba
Perkone
Caldari State
#7 - 2013-03-30 23:32:09 UTC
IrJosy wrote:
Frabba for CSM!

What did I ever do to you to make you wish this upon me?

Wait, don't answer that.

its me im the best poster.

Atreides Leto
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2013-03-31 21:54:27 UTC
Also to consider are folks like myself with well over the bookmark limit, meaning we can't make any more.
Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#9 - 2013-04-01 11:43:37 UTC
CCP do this thing.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Eezee Gonozal
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#10 - 2013-04-02 11:36:55 UTC
This would be a great change, especially since there is no reason for the mechanic to be like it is right now.
Sir Marksalot
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2013-04-02 14:59:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Sir Marksalot
Holy christ this would be the best thing ever. I have 86 of the things expired in my journals.

As it is, they're not worth the effort of bookmarking.
Collatinus Vedius
Perkone
Caldari State
#12 - 2013-04-05 21:19:50 UTC
This would be really great