These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

An open question to CCP about AFK mining.

First post
Author
Hannah Flex
#21 - 2013-04-05 17:32:45 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
having a computer at work/school/etc is the advantage, not mining.

Typically when MMO developers have ingame mechanics that are easily replicated/bottable they change the mechanics to keep on top of botters. In the case of EVE Online, the developers have actually changed the mechanics to make mining even more bottable, to the point that mackinaws require so little attention that even a player who is at the keyboard doesnt need to interact with his game client for 45 minutes.

Seems counter-productive at best What?
Dave Stark
#22 - 2013-04-05 17:35:12 UTC
ccp have a better method; they ban the botters rather than making the game unenjoyable for every one until the botters adapt to the new game mechanics.

nothing has made botting more or less difficult. the only changes the bots needed with regards to the mackinaw changes was changing how frequently a solo mackinaw was docking to unload cargo.

also 45 mins is completely bullshit, might want to check your maths.
Hannah Flex
#23 - 2013-04-05 17:38:00 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:

Also: if my EVE Online profession was anything other than mining this computer at work or school would be no advantage to me. I couldnt do exploration without my boss or co-workers going wtf? I couldnt plex without the same issue, faction war, anomalies, ratting, wormholing.

Only mining lets me gather resources while AFK, unattended client, minimized client, hell- even the guy who opens up 100 clients and has them all on the map screen while mining ice then makes a post and video boasting about his mad 'legal' botting skills
Dave Stark
#24 - 2013-04-05 17:40:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Dave Stark
Hannah Flex wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:

Also: if my EVE Online profession was anything other than mining this computer at work or school would be no advantage to me. I couldnt do exploration without my boss or co-workers going wtf? I couldnt plex without the same issue, faction war, anomalies, ratting, wormholing.

Only mining lets me gather resources while AFK, unattended client, minimized client, hell- even the guy who opens up 100 clients and has them all on the map screen while mining ice then makes a post and video boasting about his mad 'legal' botting skills

yes you could, you just choose not to.

either way, it's beside the point. playing at work doesn't some how make you obtain things faster.
Hannah Flex
#25 - 2013-04-05 17:40:08 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
ccp have a better method; they ban the botters rather than making the game unenjoyable

If mining is unenjoyable for someone unless they can do it AFK or not paying attention to their game client, tabbed out watching netflix, etc. then they should find a more enjoyable way to spend their entertainment dollars.
Dave Stark
#26 - 2013-04-05 17:42:11 UTC
Hannah Flex wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:
ccp have a better method; they ban the botters rather than making the game unenjoyable

If mining is unenjoyable for someone unless they can do it AFK or not paying attention to their game client, tabbed out watching netflix, etc. then they should find a more enjoyable way to spend their entertainment dollars.

i didn't say mining was unenjoyable.

i just pointed out ccp don't arbitrarily make things worse for everyone permanently in order to disrupt a subset of players temporarily. i'm sure even you can see the sense in that.
Hannah Flex
#27 - 2013-04-05 17:42:43 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
Hannah Flex wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:

yes you could, you just choose not to.

The point is: the reward of mining does not equal the risk/effort required. Zero effort, or attention required. Sure mining is the 'minimum wage' of EVE but I havent encountered any other game in my 25 years of playing MMO's that allow resource gathering this way.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#28 - 2013-04-05 17:43:12 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
1.1k m³ per cycle, 35k m³ ore hold → 30 cycles to fill with 2 miners → 15×3 minute cycles = 45 minutes.
Hannah Flex
#29 - 2013-04-05 17:44:25 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
Hannah Flex wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:

i just pointed out ccp don't arbitrarily make things worse

Why would mining suddenly become 'worse' if it required a little more effort or attention? These forums are filled with threads begging for interactive and intuitive PVE.
Dave Stark
#30 - 2013-04-05 17:46:28 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:
1.1k m³ per cycle, 35k m³ ore hold → 30 cycles to fill with 2 miners → 15×3 minute cycles = 45 minutes.

oh righty, i was assuming orca boosted ice mining since realistically, you're not afk mining ore. ever.
Hannah Flex
#31 - 2013-04-05 17:47:40 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:

And that reveals the underlying agenda

Mining is soo boring that I do other things, go AFK, tab out, let it go overnight, run it at work etc. but the champions of this type of gameplay ardently protect it as well, at the same time decrying how boring it is. Why should you fear changes to make it more interactive/ exciting except to protect your botting ways?
Dave Stark
#32 - 2013-04-05 17:49:22 UTC
Hannah Flex wrote:
The point is: the reward of mining does not equal the risk/effort required.

yes, it does.

Hannah Flex wrote:
Why would mining suddenly become 'worse' if it required a little more effort or attention? These forums are filled with threads begging for interactive and intuitive PVE.

what do other threads have to do with this one?

i didn't say it requiring more attention or effort would make it worse. however if you're going to insist on trying to put words in my mouth give me an example of "more effort" or "more attention" and i'll tell you why it's worse.
Dave Stark
#33 - 2013-04-05 17:50:53 UTC
Hannah Flex wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:

And that reveals the underlying agenda

Mining is soo boring that I do other things, go AFK, tab out, let it go overnight, run it at work etc. but the champions of this type of gameplay ardently protect it as well, at the same time decrying how boring it is. Why should you fear changes to make it more interactive/ exciting except to protect your botting ways?

what underlying agenda?

why are you advocating changing a perfectly fine system?
IbuyAlts
Doomheim
#34 - 2013-04-05 17:55:28 UTC
e-lawyers best lawyers
Hannah Flex
#35 - 2013-04-05 17:55:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Hannah Flex
Dave Stark wrote:

The system is not perfectly fine. Miners complain that mining is boring therefore they must do it AFK. Resource gathering should not be an AFK activity. In most other MMO's they will gather resources for an hour or so then do other things. The crazy part about EVE Online is that people take this 'profession' of mining, which is resource gathering, and do it FULL TIME. Like all the time, I mean- thats all they do.

I dont know why, I cant explain it, but clearly its not an optimal system.
Rhivre
TarNec
Invisible Exchequer
#36 - 2013-04-05 17:56:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Rhivre
Hannah Flex wrote:

So they are aquiring these 'things' over an extended period of time unavailable to normal players who adhere to the spirit of the game.

Only up to the point where their hold is full.

We are not talking of botting or macros here, we are talking of ordinary mining, just done while on the toilet, or in the shower. AFK mining does not allow you to mine for the period while you are at school, work or w/e.

If you set up your Mack and head off to work, you will come back to find that it has been sitting in space doing nothing.

The thing you need to show me is that if I am online at my keyboard mining all day (Which makes my face go like this: Cry ), I somehow mine less than someone who is AFK for the same period of time.

This part of the EULA pertains to accelerated gameplay...if I have 12 hours, and you have 12 hours, and I mine ATK, and you mine AFK, which one of us will have more ore at the end?

Some people seem to think you will, because you are AFK.

I agree that mining is boring as hell in its current iteration, and urgently needs an overhaul, but, it seems CCP are fine with it as is Roll
Dave Stark
#37 - 2013-04-05 17:56:30 UTC
Hannah Flex wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:

The system is not perfectly fine. Miners complain that mining is boring therefore they must do it AFK.

source?
DarthNefarius
Minmatar Heavy Industries
#38 - 2013-04-05 17:57:04 UTC  |  Edited by: DarthNefarius
Hannah Flex wrote:

normal players who adhere to the spirit of the game.

This part made me spit out my coffee & laugh hysterically Lol normal players of Eve try to game the **** out of it
An' then Chicken@little.com, he come scramblin outta the    Terminal room screaming "The system's crashing! The system's    crashing!" -Uncle RAMus, 'Tales for Cyberpsychotic Children'
Caviar Liberta
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#39 - 2013-04-05 17:58:59 UTC
You better get one of these then while you play eve then.

Ultimate gaming chair

So you don't violate the EULA during those 200 AU warps, pos bashes, dred engagements or other actions that might have something outside the game interrupt what you are doing.
Hannah Flex
#40 - 2013-04-05 18:00:38 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
Hannah Flex wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:

The system is not perfectly fine. Miners complain that mining is boring therefore they must do it AFK.

source?

You are the source.