These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Armor Tanking VS Shield Tanking

Author
Lucian Crendraven
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2013-04-02 14:44:58 UTC
Is it just me or is armor tanking not the way to go for pvp. Any thoughts?
Egravant Alduin
Ascendance Rising
Ascendance..
#2 - 2013-04-02 14:52:51 UTC
I have tried both and it really depends on the ship.If it has a lot of low slots and a few med slots then armor tanking it's better.Also armor tanking wastes less capacitor but it's slower.I'm having typhoon fleet issue and dies really hard with armor tanking and it 's very fun.A good option for pvp as I have seen in youtube videos is passive tanking with a lot of hps so no need of capacitor.

Feel the wrath of the GECKO!

Velicitia
XS Tech
#3 - 2013-04-02 15:02:03 UTC
my guardian says it works pretty well.

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Daniel Plain
Doomheim
#4 - 2013-04-02 15:58:13 UTC
Lucian Crendraven wrote:

as just about all blanket statements, this is incorrect. which kind of tank is better depends on the ship you fly, its intended role, the opponents you expect etc.

I should buy an Ishtar.

sabre906
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2013-04-02 16:34:43 UTC
Speed, ASB. What else is there to say?
Lucian Crendraven
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2013-04-02 17:13:40 UTC
Daniel Plain wrote:
Lucian Crendraven wrote:

as just about all blanket statements, this is incorrect. which kind of tank is better depends on the ship you fly, its intended role, the opponents you expect etc.

Right now i fly gallente active armor tank. I do well in missioning but having trouble in pvp.
Dark Lightstrong
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#7 - 2013-04-02 17:27:04 UTC
And ALOT of utility slots for webs and scram/warp disruptor right?
Ersahi Kir
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2013-04-02 17:28:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Ersahi Kir
Active armor tanks are bad for PvP from what I've seen. Buffer armor tanks are the way to go for PvP.

On the shield side I've seen some buffer fits and I've seen ASB fits. Standard shield booster fits are as bad as active armor fits.

edit:
Active armor and shield fits are good in missions because of the low-ish damage applied over a long period of time. PvP fights are very short with high DPS where active tanks don't get much time to repair damage.
sabre906
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2013-04-02 17:30:48 UTC
Ersahi Kir wrote:
Active armor tanks are bad for PvP from what I've seen. Buffer armor tanks are the way to go for PvP.

On the shield side I've seen some buffer fits and I've seen ASB fits. Standard shield booster fits are as bad as active armor fits.

Only because there's ASB.

Dark Lightstrong wrote:
And ALOT of utility slots for webs and scram/warp disruptor right?

You'll have to get in range first.
Cage Man
Fusion Enterprises Ltd
Pandemic Horde
#10 - 2013-04-02 18:31:59 UTC
Lucian Crendraven wrote:
Daniel Plain wrote:
Lucian Crendraven wrote:

Right now i fly gallente active armor tank. I do well in missioning but having trouble in pvp.

maybe link your pvp fits and ask for advice, maybe you using blasters and are being kited??? .. I use both and they both work.. just depends what you doing and who with. Shield however is nice as you can squeez some extra dps out of the ship.. sometimes..
Shpenat
Ironman Inc.
Transgress
#11 - 2013-04-02 19:09:46 UTC
Lucian Crendraven wrote:

I fly active armor gallente ships almost exclusively. And I have no trouble in fights unless neuting ship appear or really well skilled kiter. It is just the question of personal skills.
Inkarr Hashur
Skyline Federation
#12 - 2013-04-02 19:23:13 UTC
Lucian Crendraven wrote:

Depends on what kind of PVP you're doing. Armor tanking has its place.
Paikis
Vapour Holdings
#13 - 2013-04-02 20:28:11 UTC
This thread will only end in tears.
Antillie Sa'Kan
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#14 - 2013-04-02 21:53:24 UTC
All things should end in tears.
Zan Shiro
Doomheim
#15 - 2013-04-03 07:23:42 UTC
Paikis wrote:
This thread will only end in tears.

and probably some math....since we can't have tank wars without tons of math.

Each tank has it place.

learn both. You may find if you change corps your uber shield fit form an old corp is crap in a new armour based home or vice versa.

culo duro
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2013-04-03 07:33:41 UTC
Lucian Crendraven wrote:

Armor Tanking = More Utility slots for webs/Cap boosters/ECCM. get some buddies in some logi ships and grab a buffer.
Shield Tanking = More DPS, and you're dead if you're out of cap.

I've starting blogging http://www.epvpc.blogspot.comĀ 

Uppsy Daisy
State War Academy
Caldari State
#17 - 2013-04-03 09:15:39 UTC
Lucian Crendraven wrote:

For solo, yes.

For fleets, generally.
Siigari Kitawa
New Eden Archery Club
#18 - 2013-04-03 11:30:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Siigari Kitawa
culo duro wrote:
Lucian Crendraven wrote:

Armor Tanking = More Utility slots for webs/Cap boosters/ECCM. get some buddies in some logi ships and grab a buffer.

lol what

Active armor tank pros: High DPS and full tackle gear, can rep a lot of damage in a medium amount of time, medium to high resists
Active armor tank cons: Slowish, needs overloaded MWD to keep up

Active shield tank pros: Can often out-tank damage easily, moderate to high DPS, very fast, medium resists
Active shield tank cons: Often relies on internal cap stability or insta-dead, medium resists, usually fits a scram only, alpha susceptible

Passive armor tank pros: Very high resists, extremely large buffer, extremely high DPS
Passive armor tank cons: Extremely slow, susceptible to kiting

Passive shield tank pros: High to moderate resists, good buffer, shields can regen over the course of time naturally increasing your EHP, can be very fast
Passive shield tank cons: Limited tackle gear, DPS low to medium

Need stuff moved? Push Industries will handle it. Serving highsec, lowsec and nullsec - and we do it faster and more reliably than anyone else. Ingame channel: PUSHX

Drake Doe
88Th Tax Haven
#19 - 2013-04-03 12:06:31 UTC
Siigari Kitawa wrote:
culo duro wrote:
Lucian Crendraven wrote:

lol what

Active armor tank pros: High DPS and full tackle gear, can rep a lot of damage in a medium amount of time, medium to high resists

Active shield tank pros: Can often out-tank damage easily, moderate to high DPS, very fast, medium resists
Active shield tank cons: Often relies on internal cap stability or insta-dead, medium resists, usually fits a scram only, alpha susceptible

Passive armor tank pros: Very high resists, extremely large buffer, extremely high DPS

Passive shield tank pros: High to moderate resists, good buffer, shields can regen over the course of time naturally increasing your EHP, can be very fast

Are you comparing armor ships vs shield ships or shield setups on armor ships and vice versa?

"The homogenization of EVE began when Gallente and Caldari started sharing a weapon system."---Vermaak Doe-- "Ohh squabbles ohh I love my dust trolls like watching an episode of Maury with less " Is he my Dad " but more of " My Neighbor took a dump on my lawn " good episode! pops more corn" ---Evernub--

Shpenat
Ironman Inc.
Transgress
#20 - 2013-04-03 12:13:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Shpenat
Siigari Kitawa wrote:

lol what

I think you did a bit miscalculation on the DPS.

It should go like this

Active armor: low DPS

Active shield: medium - high DPS

Passive armor: medium DPS

Passive shield: high DPS

EDIT: this is mainly for larger ships. I have little experiences with frigates.
12Next page