These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Warfare & Tactics

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Farmatar: Or why fw is totally broken

First post
Author
Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#161 - 2013-04-02 18:49:24 UTC
Princess Nexxala wrote:
That farmers control sov, they have a marginal effect at best because the systems they plex typically do not matter. .

Why do you say they do not matter?

And any way its not technically farmers that are the problem its more accurately rabbits. The defensive plexing rabbits might not make isk but they still help win the sov war by running and hiding from any pvp.

Princess Nexxala wrote:

Also that you will get fights using this notification system, if someone wants a fight, they go to a system that matters and they run a plex. No one who wants pvp is going to run a plex in an empty system. If someone shows up, they will run as per usual.

If you go to the 3-6 systems "that matter" then you will likely get blobbed. Like I said fw used to have allot of pilots that appreciated the fact that the sov war would not just be decided by whoever has the biggest blob. After the no docking rule it seems the type of player it attracts has changed.

Cearain wrote:

Its what they crave!

What assumptions are you challenging? That on average 1/3 to 1/5 of systems will have no one running a plex?

I guess the disconnect is, I already think mechanics exist to control the farming hoard, you do not.[/quote]

Well if you are going to decide that only 10% of the systems "matter" then ok. I think that is where the disconnect is. You seem fine that 90% of systems are determined by rabbits and the other 10% is determined by who can outblob the other. I think this can be much better.

I messed my quote above up. I should have said 1/3 to 1/5 of systems have someone running a plex.

Do you agree?

Make faction war occupancy pvp instead of pve https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=53815&#post53815

Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#162 - 2013-04-02 18:52:14 UTC
X Gallentius wrote:
Cearain wrote:
No more chasing. Just fighting in plexes a jump or 2 away.

How are you going to fight them if they run?

I won't I will let someone else fight them and keep fighting people within 1 - 3 jumps of me. The rabbits will be run off the map and the only people left doing plexes will be pvpers.

Make faction war occupancy pvp instead of pve https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=53815&#post53815

Princess Nexxala
Zero Syndicate
#163 - 2013-04-02 18:52:41 UTC
Na, farmers gonna farm. If anything it's just another aspect of this game that provides content. When the caldari had all the farmers on their side we murdered them in droves and our home system was never threatened. There is absolutely no reason they can't do the same when the tide turns and they switch back to our side. It's a cycle. Can the system be improved? Probably. Is it fine the way it is? Probably. Has anyone suggested a better way? No, at least IMO.

Primarily I am against anything that makes this game easier for people who are lazy, unmotivated, and expect to have their PvP delivered to them. In spite of what most of my victims think, I work very hard to get my pew. It's what makes it rewarding and satisfying.

Too many people lately rely on others to get their PvP fix, and if that fails they blame mechanics...bah

2manno Asp wrote:

it's funny you say that. would you say the farming hoard is currently ouut of control, as many people believe?

as it was before.

and when amarr were briefly in the lead.

how many times does it get like it currently is, before you at least start to think that maybe the controls you feel are there, aren't very good?

nom nom

Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#164 - 2013-04-02 19:05:48 UTC
Princess Nexxala wrote:
Na, farmers gonna farm.

Let me guess, they crave the electrolytes.

Princess Nexxala wrote:

If anything it's just another aspect of this game that provides content. When the caldari had all the farmers on their side we murdered them in droves and our home system was never threatened. There is absolutely no reason they can't do the same when the tide turns and they switch back to our side. It's a cycle. Can the system be improved? Probably. Is it fine the way it is? Probably. Has anyone suggested a better way? No, at least IMO.

Primarily I am against anything that makes this game easier for people who are lazy, unmotivated, and expect to have their PvP delivered to them. In spite of what most of my victims think, I work very hard to get my pew. It's what makes it rewarding and satisfying. Too many people lately rely on others to get their PvP fix, and if that fails they blame mechanics...bah

Here it is! Now we are getting at how we think different.

1) You do not want sov control to be easier for the pvpers than the rabbits. I want fw sov to be geared more for the pvpers than the rabbits.

2) You are happy for the content the rabbits provide in fw, I am not.

3) You say I am lazy and unmotivated because I do not spend more time playing a computer game. I think spending more time at a computer game would be lazy and show lack of motivation.

Yes then it makes sense for you to be against notifications. Because notifications would mean that pvpers become more efficient at sov warfare than the rabbits.

Dan Carter Murray
#165 - 2013-04-02 19:09:42 UTC
Cearain wrote:
Princess Nexxala wrote:
Na, farmers gonna farm.

Princess Nexxala wrote:

If anything it's just another aspect of this game that provides content. When the caldari had all the farmers on their side we murdered them in droves and our home system was never threatened. There is absolutely no reason they can't do the same when the tide turns and they switch back to our side. It's a cycle. Can the system be improved? Probably. Is it fine the way it is? Probably. Has anyone suggested a better way? No, at least IMO.

Primarily I am against anything that makes this game easier for people who are lazy, unmotivated, and expect to have their PvP delivered to them. In spite of what most of my victims think, I work very hard to get my pew. It's what makes it rewarding and satisfying. Too many people lately rely on others to get their PvP fix, and if that fails they blame mechanics...bah

1) You do not want sov control to be easier for the pvpers than the rabbits. I want fw sov to be geared more for the pvpers than the rabbits.

3) You say I am lazy and unmotivated because I do not spend more time playing a computer game. I think spending more time at a computer game would be lazy and show lack of motivation.

Yes then it makes sense for you to be against notifications. Because notifications would mean that pvpers become more efficient at sov warfare than the rabbits.

4) your time spent on forums is probably double what most people spend playing a computer game. we're both lazy. you're just lazier.

http://mfi.re/?j7ldoco 50GB free space @ MediaFire.com

Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#166 - 2013-04-02 19:14:26 UTC
Dan Carter Murray wrote:
Cearain wrote:
Princess Nexxala wrote:
Na, farmers gonna farm.

Princess Nexxala wrote:

4) your time spent on forums is probably double what most people spend playing a computer game. we're both lazy. you're just lazier.

Playing more of a broken computer game will not demonstrate I am less lazy or better motivated.

ALUCARD 1208
Digital Ghosts
#167 - 2013-04-02 19:42:02 UTC
Dan Carter Murray wrote:

+ 1 .......wow im actually agreeing with a DCM post...... Sometimes i really do wonder if cearains playing the same game as us
Crosi Wesdo
War and Order
#168 - 2013-04-02 20:01:19 UTC
Cearain wrote:
Princess Nexxala wrote:
Na, farmers gonna farm.

Princess Nexxala wrote:

I want world peace, But i would sound like a ****** if i just kept saying it over and over again on political forums offering no practical solution to what is likely an impossibility. Get over yourself, a pure pvp mechanic to control sov is not possible because you cannot make people fight. There is no other level to explore here, that is the be all and end all. Sorry, your ideology is based on a faulty presumption of possibility.
Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#169 - 2013-04-02 20:30:54 UTC
Crosi Wesdo wrote:
Cearain wrote:
Princess Nexxala wrote:
Na, farmers gonna farm.

Princess Nexxala wrote:

I want world peace, But i would sound like a ****** if i just kept saying it over and over again on political forums offering no practical solution to what is likely an impossibility. Get over yourself, a pure pvp mechanic to control sov is not possible because you cannot make people fight. There is no other level to explore here, that is the be all and end all. Sorry, your ideology is based on a faulty presumption of possibility.

The solution has been clear for years. CCP just needs to implement it.

Taoist Dragon
Okata Syndicate
#170 - 2013-04-02 20:43:23 UTC
FW SOv is a PVE mechanic.

The playerbase CANNOT support a pure pvp mechanic at all. Sov needs to be PVE based.

That is the Way, the Tao.

Balance is everything.

Crosi Wesdo
War and Order
#171 - 2013-04-02 20:44:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Crosi Wesdo
Cearain wrote:

There hasnt even been LP for plexing in FW for years. As we all know, the solution to remove farming is removal of LP for plexing...

I have a feeling that you are going to tout a much derided notification system at this point. A system that will be ignored since no one has a single iota of difficulty finding evasion farmers, They just dont stick round to counter them beyond home systems because that is a boring activity. Notifications do nothing to change that. I know you have some sort of condition that makes retention of simple facts and ideas a problem, but perhaps repeating the same bad idea over and over again isnt the best course of action from a therapeutic point of view.

Taoist Dragon wrote:

The playerbase CANNOT support a pure pvp mechanic at all. Sov needs to be PVE based.

Even if there were a 1000x more players in FW, you cannot make one side undock into a massively superior fleet and get massacred. The PvE side of plexing is necessary at any scale.

A complete redesign of fw occupancy to be PvP only would likely be subject to far more exploits than the current system imo.
X Gallentius
Black Eagle1
#172 - 2013-04-02 20:46:00 UTC
Cearain wrote:
X Gallentius wrote:
Cearain wrote:

I won't I will let someone else fight them and keep fighting people within 1 - 3 jumps of me. The rabbits will be run off the map and the only people left doing plexes will be pvpers.

Until you leave. Then they will be back. Just like now.
Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#173 - 2013-04-02 21:29:10 UTC
X Gallentius wrote:
Cearain wrote:
X Gallentius wrote:
Cearain wrote:

Until you leave. Then they will be back. Just like now.

I anticipate there will be at least 10 people in each militia that like pvp and therefore will continue to fight for plexes when I am not online.

Again you seem to think no one in eve actually likes pvp and therefore no one will come to fight for the plexes. I think you are wrong.

Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#174 - 2013-04-02 21:37:38 UTC
Crosi Wesdo wrote:
Cearain wrote:

There hasnt even been LP for plexing in FW for years. As we all know, the solution to remove farming is removal of LP for plexing...

That is why I say its somewhat inaccurate to say the problem is farming. The problem is really rabbits people who run and hide in a different system when pvpers come to fight for the plex. That fw sov is a carebear race has been the problem since it first came out.

Here is an example of it:

"It took less than a week to achieve the maximum faction warfare rank (Divine Commodore), ….111 faction warfare complexes were captured … I did not kill anyone in the process..” Ankhesentapemkah Posted - 2008.06.18 02:29:00

If you track down that thread I believe you will find people suggesting that this sort of hide and seek plexing should be addressed, by a notification system. It won't be me because I didn't even start playing at that time.

Cearain
Plus 10 NV
#175 - 2013-04-02 21:40:17 UTC
Taoist Dragon wrote:

No one is looking for purity.

But having rabbits decide sov in 90% of the warzone is broken.

X Gallentius
Black Eagle1
#176 - 2013-04-02 23:46:06 UTC  |  Edited by: X Gallentius
Cearain wrote:
I anticipate there will be at least 10 people in each militia that like pvp and therefore will continue to fight for plexes when I am not online.
If these fictional people actually existed, then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

If they do exist, then I suggest you join FW, form a corporation with these people, and then go out and dominate FW.

Edit:
The potential, workable, solutions are well known. CCP ought to implement one or both of these and see what happens.
1. Timer rollback. If nobody is in a plex then it counts down to "zero". (Julius Foederatus)
2. Proper sized ships are the only ones that can run a timer. (chatgris)
Crosi Wesdo
War and Order
#177 - 2013-04-03 08:44:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Crosi Wesdo
Cearain wrote:
Taoist Dragon wrote:

No one is looking for purity.

But having rabbits decide sov in 90% of the warzone is broken.

TBH i like the cyclical nature of the current mechanics. It means that the militia with simply the most no life multiboxing rp plexers doesnt stay on top forever. Admittedly, this is in my best interests because we all know which militia has most of those lol.

Though the cycle is stalled at the moment because of gallentes reluctance to bash bunkers and/or amarrs failure to recruit another large null sec entitiy. Though its stalled in the gal/cal warzone in a fairly even state, caldari could easily push for tier 2 and make isk while they plex and pew. Though i suspect they are going the smarter route of letting the lp they have already accrued rise in value before offloading it.

Would be nice if amarr could inherit a portion of the farming horde to get the cycle started again.

Sure, now you whine about 'meaningful sov war', which is a joke. CCP already provides a meaningful sov war with permanent consequences. Its called dull sec. Your postings would find a happy home in COAD, so long.
Veshta Yoshida
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#178 - 2013-04-03 09:25:15 UTC
Crosi Wesdo wrote:
TBH i like the cyclical nature of the current mechanics. It means that the militia with simply the most no life multiboxing rp plexers doesnt stay on top forever...

That particular issue was fixed long ago, when plexes were made to spawn perpetually throughout the day thus axing the post-DT plexing bonanza .. FW was actually in a good place, occupancy wise, after that change as PvP suddenly had a much larger say in the state of thing and we saw Gallente being able to push back which in turn fostered more Caldari fighters to emerge.
Similar happened on Amarr/Shakorite front albeit on a smaller scale as both sides had post-DT (thus being equally hit) presence with Amarr having slightly more .. Siseide/Lantorn .. nothing more needs to be said Smile

And all that without any incentives.
Crosi Wesdo wrote:
Though the cycle is stalled at the moment because of gallentes reluctance to bash bunkers and/or amarrs failure to recruit another large null sec entitiy....

And that is the glaring flaw with the current system. Why should a militia have to bring in ringers to make any sort of headway, the whole idea that 'numbers trump all' makes for tedious and laggy time-dilated gameplay and is one of the major contributors to the moronic TZ condensing that has occurred, made "sense" in null due to reinforcement timers .. but in FW?
Crosi Wesdo wrote:
Would be nice if amarr could inherit a portion of the farming horde to get the cycle started again.

They will. They are on the/a clock and I suspect trying to balance their standings which is why they swap colours every two months or so .. but waging a proxy war through alts is kind of a big deflater and they can't be eradicated fast enough.
Crosi Wesdo
War and Order
#179 - 2013-04-03 09:29:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Crosi Wesdo
Cant argue with numbers. There is no sensible mechanic to equalise the smaller force. You work with what you have.

Also, even at tier 1 caldari are scoring significantly more VP than gallente. Only the glorious minmatar, after crushing their once strong masters, save the gallente from very low occupancy with diagonal plexing. I was not referring to the DT advantage, just the fact that caldari have more bodies on buttons at most times of day.
Veshta Yoshida
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#180 - 2013-04-03 09:47:27 UTC
Crosi Wesdo wrote:
Cant argue with numbers. There is no sensible mechanic to equalise the smaller force. You work with what you have.

Sure there is, make the small guys time more valuable than the fat guys.

Suggested elsewhere/earlier that a reverse tier modifier be applied to VP as part of the diminishing return downside of steamrolling .. if one side is raking in +150-225% LP then they have to contend with enemy getting same bonus to VP making systems fall rather quickly unless guarded.
You'd still see fluctuations in the zones, but they wouldn't be nearly as erratic or severe .. dropping from tier 4-5 to 1 in a few weeks would not be possible unless everyone went on vacation for instance. There was a week or two not long ago where both Amarr and Shakorites had tier3 and combat was rampant as plexing crews needed protection just to maintain the tier .. but then farmers got settled in (was while they were changing sides I suspect) and it got skewed again ... that is what is needed for constant bloodshed, an equilibrium with fluctuations never being so great that one side stays in port while waiting for the winds to change.

Sheer numbers would obviously still matter, but you'd need a lot to do what is done on a whim now (ie. flip entire warzone in a fortnight).

In short: I am Danish. I can argue with anything dammit, even numbers!