These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Player morality in EVE online. Why did you leave it at the door?

First post
Author
Covert Kitty
SRS Industries
#81 - 2011-10-31 00:24:21 UTC
The unique thing about Eve is that friends are required for any real success or security. The result of that is that you also tend to form some very close and trusting friendships. You can't have one without the other, the reason why large betrayals are news in Eve is because that trust they broke is actually important.

A lone miner without any friends lost eve way before they lost that mining ship. Go join a corp, train some weapons, matter to someone, build friendships. Eve is a horrible "game", but its the best social sandbox in existence.
Michael Turate
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#82 - 2011-10-31 00:38:23 UTC
There are some people who try to play this game as honourable Jedi Knights - they are amounst the most fail people I've met in the game, their tears are probably the most delicious.
Mortis vonShadow
Balanaz Mining and Development Inc.
#83 - 2011-10-31 00:49:08 UTC
Covert Kitty wrote:

A lone miner without any friends lost eve way before they lost that mining ship.

I'm a lone miner. Will you be my friend?Smile

Some days you're the bug, and some days your the windscreen.                   And some days, you're just a man with a gun.

Renan Ruivo
Forcas armadas
Brave Collective
#84 - 2011-10-31 00:53:02 UTC
Why do people play Grand Theft Auto? The difference here is that i'm not running over AI.. i'm running over real people. Virtually, of course..

If i could DRIVE OVER VIRTUAL people in the REAL world, i would. So if i can't, i'll do the next best thing. I'll DRIVE OVER REAL people in the VIRTUAL world.

You don't like it you either HTFU or you go play another game. This one is like this, has been like this since it was created. We came here because of that.

The world is a community of idiots doing a series of things until it explodes and we all die.

Kietay Ayari
Caldari State
#85 - 2011-10-31 00:55:21 UTC
Michael Turate wrote:
There are some people who try to play this game as honourable Jedi Knights - they are amounst the most fail people I've met in the game, their tears are probably the most delicious.

For some reason I laugh out loud whenever I read those exact words. Not meant as an insult! I just imagine someone literally eating tears and finding them delicious and its a little comedic! I tend to read them about once a day which is more than I usually laugh so EVE forums are pretty good!

I'd still like to know why people started saying it in the first place though. Its a prettttty abstract way of saying you enjoy when someone is miserable (for silly reasons or not). :O

Ferox #1

Renan Ruivo
Forcas armadas
Brave Collective
#86 - 2011-10-31 00:59:43 UTC
Kietay Ayari wrote:
Michael Turate wrote:

For some reason I laugh out loud whenever I read those exact words. Not meant as an insult! I just imagine someone literally eating tears and finding them delicious and its a little comedic! I tend to read them about once a day which is more than I usually laugh so EVE forums are pretty good!

I'd still like to know why people started saying it in the first place though. Its a prettttty abstract way of saying you enjoy when someone is miserable (for silly reasons or not). :O

The ones who love it the most are the ones who are most miserable in real life. Of course, they will never admit it because more often then not they don't realize it themselves.

I'm the first one to say that i just love being a jerk in EVE after i had a nasty day at work.

The world is a community of idiots doing a series of things until it explodes and we all die.

Aggressive Nutmeg
#87 - 2011-10-31 01:03:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Aggressive Nutmeg
Do we really want to discuss morality in a computer game? Ah what the heck. I'll give it a crack.

Sadly, morality is seen by most people as being tied to consequences. And I submit this thread as 'Exhibit A', Your Honour.

But how can your actions be moral if you're only doing something out of a fear of consequences? Your actions can only have moral worth when you do the right thing because you know it is the right thing to do - and you do it for no other reason.

It makes me wonder how much morality there is in mainstream religions when they go on about the reward of Heaven and the punishment of Hell and the fear of God. I suspect mainstream religion is more about controlling the masses rather than creating better human beings.

Personally, I think there is nothing more noble than an atheist who chooses to live a moral life despite no hope of reward and no fear of punishment. This is about as high up the moral food chain as a human being can get. Of course, if that's your thinking in choosing that path - wanting to be 'morally better' than everyone else - then the moral worth of your chosen path becomes invalidated. Morality is all about intentions, not actions.

When I started playing EVE, I imagined it would be a realistic simulation of what a space-faring life might be like in the future. It took me a little while to adjust.

I now like the fact that EVE is a primitive, lawless universe with more than its fair share of immature, toxic individuals. EVE gives every player the opportunity to make choices which are free of consequences. This is a freedom you don't get in the real world.

The game mechanics do not provide any real consequences for behaviour that would be considered 'evil' in the real world.

So given there are no real consequences for your actions, what kind of player do you choose to be?

I look at EVE as one big moral experiment. It's fascinating to see how people behave in this moral vacuum. I'm also fascinated by my own behaviour.

Never make eye contact with someone while eating a banana.

Barbelo Valentinian
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#88 - 2011-10-31 01:45:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Barbelo Valentinian
Aggressive Nutmeg wrote:
Do we really want to discuss morality in a computer game? Ah what the heck. I'll give it a crack.

Sadly, morality is seen by most people as being tied to consequences. And I submit this thread as 'Exhibit A', Your Honour.

But how can your actions be moral if you're only doing something out of a fear of consequences? Your actions can only have moral worth when you do the right thing because you know it is the right thing to do - and you do it for no other reason.

But how, Mr Kant, do you know it's the right thing to do? I submit - by the consequences Big smile

Yes, EVE is a hellhole because there are no consequences; but there being consequences as a result of trackable identity and permadeath is what makes real life different. But that's precisely what makes EVE totally unrealistic as a simulation. EVE actually tells us very little about human nature, precisely because human nature is tied up with trackable identity, responisiblity, awareness of permadeath. Should technology change such that these change, then human nature will change.

Anyway (rambling on), it is, as people rightly say, a game.

A game in which you can hurt people in a small way and enjoy it, a game in which hurting people is sanctioned by the rules - AND VOLUNTARILY AGREED TO.

Compare and contrast: one could say to a Dominatrix "how can you hurt that poor barrister?" But of course he's entered into a voluntary agreement with her.

Yes, EVE is like S&M, it's a voluntarily-engaged-in game of inficting and avoiding pain.

Let's not be hypocritical about it - the whole point is to inflict pain, so those who mock people who are hurting from the game for taking pixels seriously are on the wrong track. People are supposed to take their pixels seriously, that's the whole point, that's what makes it hurt, that's what gets the adrenaline pumping.

It's really just that there's a culture in EVE simlilar to the macho culture surrounding drink and drugs. You're supposed to be able to "handle" your drink and drugs - i.e. behave elegantly no matter how sloshed you are. Likewise, you're supposed to bounce back quick from a loss and not make too much of a fuss about it ("cry"), if you don't you're not "manly" in EVE terms.
The Apostle
Doomheim
#89 - 2011-10-31 01:49:38 UTC
Aggressive Nutmeg wrote:
.......I look at EVE as one big moral experiment. It's fascinating to see how people behave in this moral vacuum. I'm also fascinated by my own behaviour.

Good post. +1

As an atheist in Eve, (really, I don't need spectres, I've got G**ns to guide me) I fully endorse being good for goodness sake.

But seriously, with so much death, war, destruction, immorality, mayhem and crime - in RL - I play Eve because it mimics RL so well. Blink

[i]Take an aspirin. If pain persists consult your local priest. WTB: An Austrian kangaroo![/i]

Basileus Volkan
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#90 - 2011-10-31 01:50:23 UTC
It's only natural to be pissed about an unexpected loss. The problem is that a lot of people, especially in Highsec, adopted an attitude where every loss is unexpected while in the games reality, if you pay attention, no loss of ship and pod should come as a surprise.

The fundamental truth of EvE is that some people win and some people lose, as opposed to more "vanilla" games like WoW where essentially nobody ever loses.
Justin Credulent
Luv You Long Time
#91 - 2011-10-31 01:51:01 UTC
The thing is, whether or not it's "part of the game" or "not against the rules"... the fact is your actions are still 100% your choice.

Players who try to hide behind lines like "nowhere in EVE is safe" or "the GMs allow it" or "it's just part of the game" are moral and intellectual cowards trying to pass off blame for their own actions (and guilt) onto an innocent third party.

Null-Sec needs to HTFU and stop crying to CCP. If null-sec wants PvP, they need to stop being carebears and start fighting eachother - after years of bot-mining, they have the ships!

Elyssa MacLeod
Doomheim
#92 - 2011-10-31 01:58:52 UTC
Justin Credulent wrote:
The thing is, whether or not it's "part of the game" or "not against the rules"... the fact is your actions are still 100% your choice.

Players who try to hide behind lines like "nowhere in EVE is safe" or "the GMs allow it" or "it's just part of the game" are moral and intellectual cowards trying to pass off blame for their own actions (and guilt) onto an innocent third party.

see Goons and suicide ganking as a whole

GM Homonoia: Suicide ganks are a valid and viable tactic in EVE.

Where is your God now carebear?

Twisted Alice
Doomheim
#93 - 2011-10-31 02:00:12 UTC
Running Clam wrote:
Because e-honor is a sack of **** created by carebears so pirates could have morals, If i was a immortal space ship flying pirate IRL i would not give a **** about "morals"

You don't have morals incase there's consequences. If you were immortal (not game) that would not mean you should abandon your morals.

Some people use morals like a code to live by (usually not very flexible) but keeps them from doing things they could regret later. Some people talk about morals but when it comes down to it they use them to suit their purposes.

But this is a game, so if you consider just the character then morals need not apply, if you consider the person behind the character then morals come into play.

But not everyone can play a game without considering other players.
Aggressive Nutmeg
#94 - 2011-10-31 02:14:45 UTC
Barbelo Valentinian wrote:
But how, Mr Kant, do you know it's the right thing to do? I submit - by the consequences Big smile

Taking me back to Philosophy I, there. I'd love to have this discussion, but I think the concept of the 'categorical imperative' is a bit heavy for this forum. So I'll simply say 'well done' for correctly identifying Kantian philosophy. Big smile

Never make eye contact with someone while eating a banana.

Ladie Harlot
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#95 - 2011-10-31 02:33:48 UTC
This is the derpiest thread.

The artist formerly known as Ladie Scarlet.

Mortis vonShadow
Balanaz Mining and Development Inc.
#96 - 2011-10-31 02:44:31 UTC
Justin Credulent wrote:

Why should I be a good person in a game where there are no scripted bad guys? Why can't I play the bad guy so you can play the good guy? Did you ever play cops and robbers as a little kid? If so, which were you? If you were the cop, and your friend was the robber, did he grow up to become a sociopath? Or were you the robber? If so, are you a sociopath now? Just asking.

Some days you're the bug, and some days your the windscreen.                   And some days, you're just a man with a gun.

Tallian Saotome
Nuclear Arms Exchange Inc.
#97 - 2011-10-31 02:48:19 UTC
2 things.

1) the point of role playing is the very act of taking on a different personality, and hence morality that your normal every day one. This is acceptable, even expect behavior in an RPG.

2) Its not that its a part of the game, its that its an INTENDED part of the game. Why else would Guiding Hand Social Club have been rewarded for the scams by CCP?

Inappropriate signature removed, CCP Phantom.

Zrygthn Azurlm Zharous
Pink Sockers
#98 - 2011-10-31 03:08:47 UTC
I play MMO so I can act out all my dark urges. If we can act out **** fantasy even better! (add it to station please that I can rapper my enemies).
Zephyrus II
Cardboard Enterprises
#99 - 2011-10-31 04:14:47 UTC
I don't hesitate to steal cans, loot or salvage. If the fools decide to try and punish me, I have no problem with blowing them to smithereens. That's called playing the game; stealing from others for your own profit and defending yourself (And acquiring loot) from those who would punish you for it, and if I can get a ransom from them I do, then kill them anyway. As far as that goes, my morality is left at the door; I won't lie and say I wouldn't be tempted to take things that don't belong to me in real life, but eventually I always decide not to when confronted with such situations. In a couple of them, consequences weren't an issue, because there was effectively zero chance of getting caught doing so.

This I put down to both a strong sense of morality that my parents raised me with and to a sense of consideration for the other person. That's right, a mean old pirate has a sense of empathy, who would have thought it? The main difference between the way I act in EVE and the way I act in real life is indeed a matter of "It's just a game". If I lose a nice expensive ship, I wind up cussing like a sailor, and get over it in a matter of seconds (Though I could stay irritable for an hour or so afterwards). My collection of "tears" is less a matter of enjoyment than sheer fascination that people would actually emit them, while all someone who finds me in a similar situation can expect is a "Bugger. Should have seen that coming.", because in ALL of the cases where I did find myself in that situation, I actually SHOULD have seen it coming.

That said, I usually reimburse noobs who think it's a good idea to shoot at me for at least some of the cost of their ship; I'm fairly soft as pirates go. I spare no sympathy, however, for those who have been in the game for more than a few months and should know better.
Reislier
#100 - 2011-10-31 04:21:24 UTC
Rather than trying to draw lines between a game and real life, why not just be honest and accept that you can be an asshat if that's what you choose to be in game or life? Unless you’re schizophrenic then ok.. you can be a special snowflake.

I see backpedaling and rationalization where a bit of honesty would be far more worthy of respect.

Be an asshat and revel in the asshattery.. especially when done well.

No one is going to believe you kiss puppy's and kittens in real life anyway.

I respect an honest asshat.. but tend to snicker at the ones who say it's just a game.

Denial is more ugly than asshattery any day.

Just stand up and shout it.. I am an asshat.. fear me!

Be nice. If nice not work, be civil. If civil not work, beat with iron pipe till bloody and still.