These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

how not to die on gatecamps

Author
Ayari
Perkone
Caldari State
#21 - 2013-04-01 15:13:58 UTC
Ace Uoweme wrote:

Be ready to move quickly.

Remember flying a shuttle through null (trying to get to the new alliance station). Had to run through a known gatecamp and it was a doozy. But before I even got through, made sure to be ready to align quickly to a celestial. Like clockwork the shuttle got shot, but was long gone before they could pod me.

Sometimes you're not going to escape (locked down cold). The best you can do is be ready to escape to fight another day.

When you say 'align quickly to a celestial', do you mean 'hold cloak, select celestial, warp to x km'? A shuttle is unstoppable without bubbles, it simply aligns too fast to be locked before it's already entered warp.

Totalrx
NA No Assholes
#22 - 2013-04-01 15:33:22 UTC
This would be one of the many ways to achieve that.[/quote]

Eve was much more alive before jump bridges.
Spurty
#23 - 2013-04-01 15:45:03 UTC
Totalrx wrote:
This would be one of the many ways to achieve that.

Eve was much more alive before jump bridges.
[/quote]

Pretty much this

Pandora a box has been open too long now.

There are good ships,

And wood ships,

And ships that sail the sea

But the best ships are Spaceships

Built by CCP

Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#24 - 2013-04-01 15:54:05 UTC
Ayari wrote:
[quote=Ace Uoweme]
When you say 'align quickly to a celestial', do you mean 'hold cloak, select celestial, warp to x km'? A shuttle is unstoppable without bubbles, it simply aligns too fast to be locked before it's already entered warp.

Shuttle was used not so much for the speed but because of the v-e-r-y high chance of the ship being destroyed (chokepoint...had to go through that gate).

It was a ride of my life and funny even -- got through, aligned...KABOOM. Wasn't escaping that camp with a ship intact.

And you already answered your assumption "already entered warp". When aligning you are not at warp speed yet when decloaking. And yes shuttles do get blown up even without bubbles. We don't all have level 5 Navigation skills 2 weeks into the game. Only pods at that stage are instant aligns with quick warps...and how I escaped.

First death was in null in a bubble camp (multiple bubbles at that). Managed to get out to some asteroid and ice field to witness my first ABC ores as a 3 day old newbie. Was down there for a good bit of time, but coming back...gatecamp of all gatecamps...BOOM.

It's easy to sneak in and remain in, it's the gates that kill. 10001 things happen from lag (this was back in 2010, when it was severe and CCP was doing the load testing to try to fix it) to the gate not even responding (so true in Amarr).

_"In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." _ ~George Orwell

Jame Jarl Retief
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#25 - 2013-04-01 16:07:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Jame Jarl Retief
4-AcO-DMT wrote:
90% of my loses is at gatecamps. i get very mad then.

how not to die on gatecamps ?

Play a real game which doesn't rely on cheesy mechanics for "PvP".

Gate camps are in many ways very similar to spawn camping in other games. That is, you come in virtually blind, encounter a large, prepared force bent on annihilating you. Like others pointed out, there's ways around it. Start an alt account - something I refuse to do, paying more money just to deal with a crappy design choice? No thank you. Fly with buddies, which is not always practical. Etc., etc.

Bottom line though, it's a flawed, silly game mechanic that in any non-niche game would have been laughed out of town a very, very, very long time ago.

EDIT: It is also worth noting that both "get a scout" and "use an alt" suggestions that get passed around as "solutions" aren't really solutions at all - *someone* is still going to die, just not you. It'll be a buddy or an alt. Either way, you likely lose something to the camp. Some solution...
Ayari
Perkone
Caldari State
#26 - 2013-04-01 16:26:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Ayari
Ace Uoweme wrote:

And you already answered your assumption "already entered warp". When aligning you are not at warp speed yet when decloaking. And yes shuttles do get blown up even without bubbles. We don't all have level 5 Navigation skills 2 weeks into the game. Only pods at that stage are instant aligns with quick warps...and how I escaped.

Evasive Maneuvering IV should be sufficient, and that's a day of training, and one well spent if you're going anywhere *near* nullsec. No other Navigation skills contribute towards align time.
Steve Spooner
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#27 - 2013-04-01 16:27:58 UTC
0.01 locktime Nado with 1400MM artillery laughs at any fast scouts.
Corey Fumimasa
Court of Gods
Tsundere Triad
#28 - 2013-04-01 16:45:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Corey Fumimasa
...snip...
Inxentas Ultramar
Ultramar Independent Contracting
#29 - 2013-04-01 22:47:21 UTC
Approach the system using a cloaky covops over an alternative route, assess the sec stat of said campers, their strengths, weaknesses, fleet composition and character age. Gain as much intel on them as you can and organize a counter fleet. Then utterly destroy each and every one of them.
Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#30 - 2013-04-01 23:17:32 UTC
Ayari wrote:

Evasive Maneuvering IV should be sufficient, and that's a day of training, and one well spent if you're going anywhere *near* nullsec. No other Navigation skills contribute towards align time.

There's other skills that are more important that early, and there's only 1 skill to level at a time. Navigation skills are lower down the list of priorities if you're not an interceptor/cloaky pilot (which from day one I wouldn't play, not into glass cannon and rogue classes). Tanky pilots spend more time on getting shields up, as their ship isn't going to turn quickly even if they had Evasive Maneuvering X. Lol

_"In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." _ ~George Orwell

Lady Spank
Get Out Nasty Face
#31 - 2013-04-01 23:26:59 UTC
You are missing the point of both the op and the person you quoted. Well done.

(ಠ_ృ) ~ It Takes a Million Years to Become Diamonds So Lets Just Burn Like Coal Until the Sky's Black ~ (ಠ_ృ)

Xen Solarus
Furious Destruction and Salvage
#32 - 2013-04-01 23:54:33 UTC
Wait out the cloak timer to the last second in the hopes that someone else comes through and diverts their attention long enough for you to get away.

Thats all i have to add to the already great advice listed in this thread.

Post with your main, like a BOSS!

And no, i don't live in highsec.  As if that would make your opinion any less wrong.  

Katran Luftschreck
Royal Ammatar Engineering Corps
#33 - 2013-04-02 00:57:30 UTC
Are you talking about lowsec camps or nullsec camps? Two different things, y'know.

http://youtu.be/t0q2F8NsYQ0

4-AcO-DMT
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#34 - 2013-04-02 08:23:45 UTC
Xen Solarus wrote:
Wait out the cloak timer to the last second in the hopes that someone else comes through and diverts their attention long enough for you to get away.

which is ?
4-AcO-DMT
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#35 - 2013-04-02 08:24:08 UTC
Katran Luftschreck wrote:
Are you talking about lowsec camps or nullsec camps? Two different things, y'know.

lowsec for now
Liafcipe9000
Critically Preposterous
#36 - 2013-04-02 08:40:38 UTC
don't log in.

instant win.
Cyprus Black
Perkone
Caldari State
#37 - 2013-04-02 08:50:01 UTC
Throw wave after wave of ships at them until the debris clogs their exhaust vents and they choke to death.

Summary of EvEs last four expansions: http://imgur.com/ZL5SM33

Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#38 - 2013-04-02 09:09:09 UTC
Adapt.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Corey Fumimasa
Court of Gods
Tsundere Triad
#39 - 2013-04-02 10:46:43 UTC
4-AcO-DMT wrote:
Xen Solarus wrote:

which is ?

You didn't see anything helpful posted? A lot of people took the time to write out honest answer's to your question, tricks and tips and guides that worked for them. I'm going to go and edit mine down for clarity so maybe the highlights stand out more. Sorry for not being more clear in my original draft. If its not too much trouble please go back and read it, I am desperate to have someone tell me how helpful I am, I just wait for the few new players that come here asking for advice.

Anyway, good luck.
Corey Fumimasa
Court of Gods
Tsundere Triad
#40 - 2013-04-02 10:48:48 UTC
Oh, one more thing comes to mind. Its really tough to avoid getting blown up in Eve but if you stay out of lowsec and stay in an NPC corp you have better chances.

GL/FS
Previous page123Next page