These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Null sec alliances, questions

First post First post
Author
Eram Fidard
Doomheim
#41 - 2013-03-31 14:51:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Eram Fidard
EVE politics are all about irrational hatred, and dehumanizing one's enemies, very similar to the real world.

When I read North Korea's recent declaration of war, the wording, and nature of the propaganda reminded me of something you'd see in EVE.

The thing that haters and big alliance leaders don't want you to know? We're all pretty much just people...whether it's goons, bob, black legion, or nulli; the hated -A- or RA or .EXE, PL, or even test. Different cultures, sure, but mostly just people like you or I.

Still, many are content to spew knee-jerk reactive dismissals, or culture-solidifying memes:

"Killboards Green"
"**** Goons"
"Test ____ Best _____"
"Brack Region"
" . "

etc.

My longest-term eve friend (who got me into my first corp) is on the 'wrong side', and refuses to even contemplate the idea of coming to fly with me. Some people are just that polarised. No amount of logic can penetrate that part of one's brain, once solidified.

Poster is not to be held responsible for damages to keyboards and/or noses caused by hot beverages.

Eram Fidard
Doomheim
#42 - 2013-03-31 15:02:00 UTC
Captain Tardbar wrote:
I don't know. I'm sure there are plenty of goons that are nice and don't post on the forums, but the ones that do seem to be all uppity and full of superiority smugness for the simple fact a 13,000 man alliance let them in.

Ah, but would you recognise one without the GSF tag?

Similarly, how likely is it that you would dismiss a post on grounds of 'superiority' because it contains a goon Point of View?

How about something unexpected from someone with a GSF tag? Would you even bother reading?

Your preconceived notions will be fulfilled, your brain shall see to that. Of course it will also see to conveniently ignoring the exceptions Lol

Poster is not to be held responsible for damages to keyboards and/or noses caused by hot beverages.

EvilweaselSA
GoonCorp
Goonswarm Federation
#43 - 2013-03-31 16:31:05 UTC
Ace Uoweme wrote:
EvilweaselSA wrote:
we understand the meaning of power, and that it is largely forcing others to do what you want

it turns out eve players can be extremely whiny about getting a bit stuck between their teeth and ridden around like a donkey

Wal-Mart is that away --->

If I wanted to go to Walmart you'd know because the carrot dangling in front of you would be headed that way.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#44 - 2013-03-31 16:37:05 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Methelic Mahyisti wrote:
And why is it people hate them in this game?
Because they don't subscribe to whatever assumed rules and cultural conventions that people think that they should subscribe to according to some random “good EVE citizen” dogma. In particular, they will antagonise anyone who treats a game as serious business or important in any way.

This will be a good read to answer your question.

In other words, people hate people in game for the exact same reasons people hate people out of game. Goons are the "damn dirty hippies" of EVE it seems.
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#45 - 2013-03-31 16:57:18 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:

In other words, people hate people in game for the exact same reasons people hate people out of game. Goons are the "damn dirty hippies" of EVE it seems.

Witnessed during the Occupy Jita thing, most indeed.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#46 - 2013-03-31 17:12:59 UTC  |  Edited by: March rabbit
Eram Fidard wrote:
Captain Tardbar wrote:
I don't know. I'm sure there are plenty of goons that are nice and don't post on the forums, but the ones that do seem to be all uppity and full of superiority smugness for the simple fact a 13,000 man alliance let them in.

let me try:
- every thread about mining barges, gangs, pvp and nullsec. whatever people say the most stupid posts you can see from people with GSF mark. Someone from them havent' this mark but they post "yes, we are goons" in another threads
- posts with word 'pubbies". Noone except goonies use this word.

So yes, most of a time you see goony even without GSF mark

Eram Fidard wrote:
Similarly, how likely is it that you would dismiss a post on grounds of 'superiority' because it contains a goon Point of View?

well. almost every post with word 'pubbies' is automatically ignored by me. It doesn't matter which point of view included author. His opinion is not worth the attention.

Eram Fidard wrote:
How about something unexpected from someone with a GSF tag? Would you even bother reading?

usually i read post before looking at author. And yes, i dont' care who is author if post is written politely and contain interesting point of view.
To give an example: Marlona Sky. Most of a time he/she writes good posts. Very unusual for GSF members i guess.

Eram Fidard wrote:

Your preconceived notions will be fulfilled, your brain shall see to that. Of course it will also see to conveniently ignoring the exceptions Lol

people say: exceptions only prove the rule

The Mittani: "the inappropriate drunked joke"

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#47 - 2013-03-31 17:49:41 UTC
Eram Fidard wrote:
Captain Tardbar wrote:

You say let them in as though we aren't enticing newbies in with stories of how awesome structure shooting is.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#48 - 2013-03-31 17:52:59 UTC
Eram Fidard wrote:
Still, many are content to spew knee-jerk reactive dismissals, or culture-solidifying memes:

"Killboards Green"
"**** Goons"
"Test ____ Best _____"
"Brack Region"

https://soundcloud.com/shutupandshave/****-goons

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

SmilingVagrant
Doomheim
#49 - 2013-04-01 02:52:57 UTC
Corey Fumimasa wrote:

They are the "best" team in Eve, but far from the most fun. And they keep the focus on their "take no prisoners" "win at any cost" playstyle which changes the game from a great space adventure into a dull grind more akin to a dead end job with a ****** manager.

I'll argue this point. A lot of people think that within the swarm there is an "All or nothing mentality" whenever we go after someone. This simply isn't the case. Unlike many nullsec alliances we don't have "RED PEN LEVEL 5 CTAS" where if you are caught doing anything but the op of the moment you are kicked out of the space guild.

One poster wrote "because they hate that we are free" and that's largely the truth. The space empire could be actively sieged from all sides and if I chose to spend my time station trading in Jita... exactly 0 people would care.

The comment that everything is a dull grind kind of ignores all of the programs we have running. Sure the average PVE carebear goon that only shows up to major fleet fights will be doing the dull grind. But we have a blackops group, a blackops hotdrop/interdiction group, as well as a small gang squad who are active during most timezones and allow our players to do things OTHER than bash structures. And because we're free to do whatever the hell we want, they are often out bothering someone while someone else is bashing structures.

I can't speak for too many other coalitions but I do know that TEST alliance and the HBC has it's own squad programs similar to our own, tight knit communities within the larger community that have specific skillsets and goals, and that they are largely free to do whatever the hell they want as well.
SmilingVagrant
Doomheim
#50 - 2013-04-01 02:53:53 UTC
Captain Tardbar wrote:
Though, I did think it was funny yet sad when it was threatened to kick a goonswarm member unless he payed 100 million for typing in all caps in an intel channel. Hopefully that won't give me away.

Bullshit.
Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#51 - 2013-04-01 03:06:26 UTC
March rabbit wrote:

Eram Fidard wrote:

people say: exceptions only prove the rule

no-one says that
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#52 - 2013-04-01 03:12:03 UTC
March rabbit wrote:
To give an example: Marlona Sky. Most of a time he/she writes good posts. Very unusual for GSF members i guess.

Marlona Sky isn't in GSF, and in any case I think most Goons make much better posts than he does.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#53 - 2013-04-01 07:38:30 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
March rabbit wrote:

Marlona Sky isn't in GSF,

then i'm really sorry. i made GSF look better than it is

James Amril-Kesh wrote:
and in any case I think most Goons make much better posts than he does.

it depends of what you like. i like smart and reasonable posts. Which is usually rare

The Mittani: "the inappropriate drunked joke"

Corey Fumimasa
CFM Salvage
#54 - 2013-04-01 11:30:55 UTC
SmilingVagrant wrote:
Corey Fumimasa wrote:

They are the "best" team in Eve, but far from the most fun. And they keep the focus on their "take no prisoners" "win at any cost" playstyle which changes the game from a great space adventure into a dull grind more akin to a dead end job with a ****** manager.

I'll argue this point. A lot of people think that within the swarm there is an "All or nothing mentality" whenever we go after someone. This simply isn't the case... (Edited for space).

Oh I didn't mean that it was a dull grind for Goons, your higher level of organization brings more opportunity and choice. And better support for those choices.

Rather as Alavaria said, its a grind for the people who end up at odds with such a machine. This kind of dichotomy exists in most hobbies and games. People play for different reasons with different goals and levels of commitment and time considerations, and yet the playing field is the same for all participants.

The easiest way for a player to buffer oneself against loss to a superior competitor is to demonize them and to tell oneself that had all things been equal (time to practice, equipment, coaching) it would have been a fair fight. The mental landing point of this apparatus is "Goons are cheating bastards."

Its just one of those things that is easy to believe and so people do, nothing to do with the truth.
Eezee Gonozal
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#55 - 2013-04-01 12:07:58 UTC
Ace Uoweme wrote:
Captain Tardbar wrote:

Though, I did think it was funny yet sad when it was threatened to kick a goonswarm member unless he payed 100 million for typing in all caps in an intel channel. Hopefully that won't give me away.

What's funnier is their requirements for mics. Apparently in all that intelligence gathering swarm they don't understand USB mics are horrible.

Which is why the pros (MLB+ gamers) use plugin mics for their Astro preamps. I was going to type in an education lesson on the ap form why the Sennheiser PC360 with it's plugs is superior, but I couldn't stop laughing and quickly exited the form.

It told me all I needed to know about the swarm -- dumb, dumb, dumb.

What?
Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#56 - 2013-04-01 12:30:27 UTC
EvilweaselSA wrote:
If I wanted to go to Walmart you'd know because the carrot dangling in front of you would be headed that way.

Lesson time:

Reference to Wal-Mart is when they move into a neighborhood they destroy the community inside out.

It's a cancer on civilization. And one that needs to leave.

Word to the wise.

_"In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." _ ~George Orwell

Caldari Citizen 1897289768188
HOW to PEG SAFETY
#57 - 2013-04-01 13:44:15 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Methelic Mahyisti wrote:
And why is it people hate them in this game?
Because they don't subscribe to whatever assumed rules and cultural conventions that people think that they should subscribe to according to some random “good EVE citizen” dogma. In particular, they will antagonise anyone who treats a game as serious business or important in any way.

This will be a good read to answer your question.

Because they have their pets do the dirty work. The basic reason is because they actively search and exploit any and every aspect of the game they can. They feel they require special attention and consideration. Should you ever have the displeasure of being in their voice chat this question would be answered.

On a good note, they do give people someone to despise, so this could be considered a community service.
Doctor Ape MD
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#58 - 2013-04-01 14:17:57 UTC
Though I've never had any interaction with the Goons in Eve, I've played on the same team with them in other games (never been a SA member because.. you know... tenbux) and like any large organization some of them are real jerks but for the most part their main concern usually seems to come down to 'are we having fun?'. Yeah, every once in a while they seem to be overly negative about certain things and can occasionally throw a tantrum or two, but overall everyone I've played with has been a good guy.

As for how 'serious' they are, I think one of the main reasons they do as well as they do is the freedom that they allow their members to do what they want. A lot of guilds/corps/whatever end up tearing apart because different people have different expectations of others and feel slighted if they don't feel like they are 'pulling their weight'. This leads to burnout and a lot of drama. Goons enter in full well knowing that members are allowed to do what they want, and seem to thrive on the drama.

I know personally that, due to RL commitments, I will never be able to join most super serious spaceship groups even though I would like to experience it someday. It's nice to know that there are some new person friendly (even if it is only for forum members new players, it's not like it's hard to join if you really want) groups out there that still let people have fun playing the game without having to devote their life to it.

Anyway, this is from the perspective of other games (notably GW2 and PS2)
Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#59 - 2013-04-01 15:32:43 UTC
March rabbit wrote:
Mallak Azaria wrote:
March rabbit wrote:
Methelic Mahyisti wrote:

There's a lot of 'hate' on certain alliances. The best example must be Goonswarm Federation. I've been reading a bit about them and I just don't see what would fuel this hate.

Could some people here please help me find the reason for this? Without boiling the thread with additional hate please.

Keep it civil!

personally i don't like them because they make ****** posts on forums. It's very rare occasion when someone from goons posts something smart and useful. Most of the time people with mark "goon" can simply be ignored tho.

Complains about bad posting. Is a really bad poster.

NO U

my 7 yo daughter will like to speak with you - the same level Cool

She sounds like a really intelligent child. Her real father must be a Goon.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Corey Fumimasa
CFM Salvage
#60 - 2013-04-01 15:56:33 UTC
Caldari Citizen 1897289768188: Wasn't your name HolyShocker or something along those lines? It never ocured to me that it was censor bait.