These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Can some of the ship skills please be adjusted BEFORE the summer expansion?

Author
Ibrahim Vaughn Holtzman
the holtzman experience
CAStabouts
#1 - 2013-03-28 09:35:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Ibrahim Vaughn Holtzman
We know that the summer expansion will bring along a rework of skill trees for our Internet spaceships.
With somewhat careful planning, this has the potential to give players millions of free skill points.

But currently it also tempts players into wasting training time into skill levels that they don't actually want or need:

Figure A, from the ship skill dev blog, shows this (I hope):

http://cdn1.eveonline.com/www/newssystem/media/64158/1/SkillCruiser.jpg

The situation now: need to train racial Frigate to 4 to be able to train racial Cruiser (and get free BC SP's)
The situation after Odyssey: need to train racial Frigate only to 3 for racial Destroyer (and in extension, Cruiser)
Ergo: skill points to train Frigate from 3 to 4 just to be able to train Cruisers now are wasted once Odyssey comes along

Sure, It's only like.. four days of training for three more frig skills, but my OCD is tingling nonetheless.

tl;dr What I hereby propose is that the skill requirement for racial Cruisers should be dropped from Frigate 4 to 3 some time in April or May.

Edit: Goddamn I hate the broken draft saving.
Azrael Dinn
Imperial Mechanics
#2 - 2013-03-28 09:40:18 UTC
Ibrahim Vaughn Holtzman wrote:
We know that the summer expansion will bring along a rework of skill trees for our Internet spaceships.
With somewhat careful planning, this has the potential to give players millions of free skill points.

But currently it also tempts players into wasting training time into skill levels that they don't actually want or need:

Figure A, from the ship skill dev blog, shows this (I hope):

http://cdn1.eveonline.com/www/newssystem/media/64158/1/SkillCruiser.jpg

The situation now: need to train racial Frigate to 4 to be able to train racial Cruiser (and get free BC SP's)
The situation after Odyssey: need to train racial Frigate only to 3 for racial Destroyer (and in extension, Cruiser)
Ergo: skill points to train Frigate from 3 to 4 just to be able to train Cruisers now are wasted once Odyssey comes along

Sure, It's only like.. four days of training for three more frig skills, but my OCD is tingling nonetheless.

tl;dr What I hereby propose is that the skill requirement for racial Cruisers should be dropped from Frigate 4 to 3 some time in April or May.

Edit: Goddamn I hate the broken draft saving.

Lets just wait and not haste on this. I rather see a good working update rather than a partial messed one update.

After centuries of debating and justifying... Break Cloaks tm

Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#3 - 2013-03-28 09:57:56 UTC
lol

Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#4 - 2013-03-28 10:00:01 UTC
Or just train racial frigates to four, and enjoy having decent frigates any time you fly one?
I know I do.
Tonto Auri
Vhero' Multipurpose Corp
#5 - 2013-03-28 11:36:54 UTC
Train all frigates to 5. Problem solved.

Two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. -- Harlan Ellison

Rented
Hunter Heavy Industries
#6 - 2013-03-28 13:11:27 UTC
Tonto Auri wrote:
Train all frigates to 5. Problem solved.

Train everything to 5. Problem solved.
Domanique Altares
Rifterlings
#7 - 2013-03-28 13:23:19 UTC

They're only wasted if you waste them. Trail them all to 5, and fly some frigates.

De'Veldrin
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2013-03-28 14:28:36 UTC
Your OCD is your problem, not ours and not CCP's. If you don't like it, go play a game that allows skill remapping so you can keep your character sheet neat as a pin, regardless of the benefit you may have received from a little untidiness.

Also, STFU, HTFU, etc etc etc.

De'Veldrin's Corollary (to Malcanis' Law): Any idea that seeks to limit the ability of a large nullsec bloc to do something in the name of allowing more small groups into sov null will inevitably make it that much harder for small groups to enter sov null.

Ibrahim Vaughn Holtzman
the holtzman experience
CAStabouts
#9 - 2013-03-28 15:35:29 UTC
Roime wrote:
lol

That is an.. intriguing way to voice your opinion in this matter, may I humbly ask for you to elaborate upon your previous essay?
Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#10 - 2013-03-28 15:56:34 UTC
Laughing out loud

Ibrahim Vaughn Holtzman
the holtzman experience
CAStabouts
#11 - 2013-03-28 17:24:01 UTC
Roime wrote:
Laughing out loud

That's the spirit! I really appreciate your involvement in this discussion. Feel free to voice further ideas and recommendations concerning my proposal at your earliest convenience.
Nariya Kentaya
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#12 - 2013-03-28 18:30:42 UTC
De'Veldrin wrote:
Your OCD is your problem, not ours and not CCP's. If you don't like it, go play a game that allows skill remapping so you can keep your character sheet neat as a pin, regardless of the benefit you may have received from a little untidiness.

Also, STFU, HTFU, etc etc etc.

If these people just HTFU and train EVERYTHING to V, then theres no untidiness. in fact, i coudlnt think of anything tidier and OCD-soothing than just having EVERYTHING to 5. but alas, people actually want to PAY MONEY to intentionally gimp themselves simply because they dont THINK they will ever do that profession.

(heck, i live in wormholes, to make all the money i do, i LITERALLY have to be trained, skilled, and actively participating in EVERY SINGLE PROFESSION of eve online, PI, Market, scanning, frigate->battleship piloting, manufacturing, research, mining, literally everything, and the money pays off)
Derath Ellecon
ATRAX.
Shadow Cartel
#13 - 2013-03-28 18:41:53 UTC

It's not CCP's job to help those who are easily tempted into things they don't need.

It is also not CCP's job to deal with your OCD. There is medicine for that.

Bottom line, what's done is done. We all know what is coming and when. Many people plan their remaps for very long training plans. Changing the timing on the skill changes only serves to screw people who are planning on the changes taking place at the prescribed time.

Ibrahim Vaughn Holtzman
the holtzman experience
CAStabouts
#14 - 2013-03-29 08:28:03 UTC
Derath Ellecon wrote:
It's not CCP's job to help those who are easily tempted into things they don't need.

But, Sir, isn't that exactly what CCP is currently doing?

The 'ship skills dev blog' is actively encouraging people to drop everything else in order to exploit the sh!t outta the ship skill change. But how many of the myriad of ships people are now training for - just to get free skillpoints out of Odyssey - are they actually going to fly? Half of them? One? None?
Luc Chastot
#15 - 2013-03-29 08:52:47 UTC
Well, if you're interested in flying other races, then why not have all sub caps at 4? How is having them at 3 better?

Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Roime
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#16 - 2013-03-29 09:10:56 UTC
Roime wrote:
Laughing out loud

That's the spirit! I really appreciate your involvement in this discussion. Feel free to voice further ideas and recommendations concerning my proposal at your earliest convenience.

With your permission

Further ideas: Biomass yourself and uninstall EVE
Recommendation: Delete your posts before that

Ibrahim Vaughn Holtzman
the holtzman experience
CAStabouts
#17 - 2013-03-30 12:30:49 UTC
Roime wrote:
With your permission

Further ideas: Biomass yourself and uninstall EVE
Recommendation: Delete your posts before that

Thank You very much for your continued interest in creative and productive discussion of this topic.

Sadly, good Sir, neither of your contributions - although brought forward with good intentions no doubt - present viable options for finding a resolution to the problem I percieved and took the liberty to express.

You are of course free and encouraged to reconsider the case at hand and I will be eagerly awaiting your response with undiminished interest.