These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

how dangerous is lowsec

Author
Inxentas Ultramar
Ultramar Independent Contracting
#21 - 2013-03-21 15:39:37 UTC
True, lowsec is usually safer when the pirates are doing the smoking.Cool
Nerath Naaris
Pink Winged Unicorns for Peace Love and Anarchy
#22 - 2013-03-21 18:04:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Nerath Naaris
Praxis Ginimic wrote:
...low sec is perfectly safe if you don't smoke a joint before hand.

Is there a story you want to share with us? Smile

To OP or whoever wants to take a peek into Lowsec, get a cheap shuttle or a fast Frigate, ideally fitted with a Cloak and an MWD (learn the cloak/MWD trick)) and you should be perfectly safe while still being able to experience the thrill of lawless space.

Just always be ready to instantly warp your Pod to a celestial....

Je suis Paris // Köln // Brüssel // Orlando // Nice // Würzburg, München, Ansbach // Saint-Étienne-du-Rouvray

Je suis Berlin // Fort Lauderdale // London // St. Petersburg // Stockholm

Je suis [?]

Monnty
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#23 - 2013-03-21 20:20:28 UTC
I heartily encourage you to jump in,

I did a few days ago and have not come out since

Lost Greybeard
Drunken Yordles
#24 - 2013-03-22 11:25:40 UTC
Inxentas Ultramar wrote:

Depends, their reaction time is slower, but they also think ganking you repeatedly is much funnier.

I usually assume pirates are on marijuana by default, FW people are (angry) drunk, and RvB folk have had a shot of Red Bull and an illegal handful of Ritalin.

No excuse for NPC 0.0 people, they're just kind of dicks.

(I didn't mention High-sec or Sov because, sober or not, carebearin' it doesn't really count. Technically economics-style PvP is still PvP, but it's not what worries you when you're hanging out doing your thing, you generally have to intentionally participate.)
Inxentas Ultramar
Ultramar Independent Contracting
#25 - 2013-03-26 07:24:38 UTC
Lost Greybeard wrote:
Inxentas Ultramar wrote:

Depends, their reaction time is slower, but they also think ganking you repeatedly is much funnier.

I usually assume pirates are on ********* by default, FW people are (angry) drunk, and RvB folk have had a shot of Red Bull and an illegal handful of Ritalin.

(I didn't mention High-sec or Sov because, sober or not, carebearin' it doesn't really count. Technically economics-style PvP is still PvP, but it's not what worries you when you're hanging out doing your thing, you generally have to intentionally participate.)

You know what, this might actually be quite an accurate breakdown. I am sure you can recommend us specific susbstances to enhance our mood in wspace too Cool
Andracin
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#26 - 2013-03-26 07:54:07 UTC
Low sec is not any more dangerous than any other security. In many aspects it is safer and more comfortable than high sec. For instance when you see a neutral or red in local you can pretty much assume that they want to kill you. Even the more carebear citizens in low sec usually will take an oportuinisitc kill if given the option. The only real danger is the first jump in which is sometimes camped. After that as long as you don't go tripping through major faction war areas your pretty much safe as long as you keep your d-scanner up and an eye on local. There are even some regions of low-sec that are so dead you can play for hours or days with no visitors....
In high sec you got to wonder if that ship that just yellow boxed you at the gate is a noob or a cargo scanning alt with a fleet of tornados waiting for you or watch some prick prober ninja your mission knowing if you shoot him your going to get ganked. You can calmly be smoking a blunt and mining veld minding your own business when a couple destroyers land on your face.
Maybe its just me but I prefer the cut and dried "rules" in lowsec to the boring uncertainty of high.
Andracin
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#27 - 2013-03-26 07:58:17 UTC
Inxentas Ultramar wrote:

Funny you should say that cause one of my corp mates has a "magic bong" when he ripps it we usually get epic fights/kills.....
Yutou Narukami
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#28 - 2013-03-26 10:23:16 UTC
Inxentas Ultramar wrote:
Lost Greybeard wrote:
Inxentas Ultramar wrote:

I usually assume pirates are on ********* by default, FW people are (angry) drunk, and RvB folk have had a shot of Red Bull and an illegal handful of Ritalin.

You know what, this might actually be quite an accurate breakdown. I am sure you can recommend us specific susbstances to enhance our mood in wspace too Cool

You know, I'm pretty sure the laughing fit I just had was disproportionate to the comedic value of this statement, but what the hell. Pass that stuff along I say.

Anyways, haven't journeyed into lowsec/nullsec as of yet, closest I've gotten is 0.6. However, I figure that even in lowsec it'd be hard to be spotted by an actual player, I mean depending on the size of the system and the amount of players there, the real only chance you have of getting podded by a player is when you first exit the gate, I mean they can only see you if you're within so many km. Once you make that first warp to whatever asteroid belt you plan on mining, finding you is a matter of "here's a haystack, find the needle." Set a tab on your overview to monitor nearby player ships and if you see one, stay out of sight. Even if it doesn't look like they're out for blood, keep an escape route handy so you can AP out of there if they get too close for comfort. As for rats, well, even if the NPC's waste your ship they'll never podkill you, just make sure the route you take back to the station is devoid of players. (Course I don't really see the point of podding someone if they warp in minus their ship, but not everyone's that merciful, some people are just sadistic like that.)

Now as for that first journey through the gate, well, like Echerie-san said if there's a lot of recent podkills chances are the gate's camped so I would avoid that system for now. Also never AP when traveling, only use it when someone's bearing down on you and you need a 1-click GTFO option. AP is ridiculously slow and is more risky because you have to fly 10 km or so at normal speed, whereas manual flight drops you right on top of the station or gate. Finally, if you do get caught in a gate camp, pray that either A) you have an insurance policy and an up-to-date clone, or B) those pirates are drunk as monkeys, high as kites, or some combination of both and that you happen to be (relatively) sober enough to get out of there before their brains can process the thought of "there's a guy, lets pod him."

I'm rather new to this myself but this is the general tourist guide to lowsec I'll be following tomorrow once I start mining those systems. For now though, it's 4 in the morning and I gotta be up at 9 for work and class so goodnight.
Disastro
Wrecking Shots
#29 - 2013-03-26 11:29:52 UTC
Willem Teleata wrote:
Hi guys, sorry for those noob questions in advance: as you can see i am new at eve. Recently bought a destroyer to do some missions; and now i wanted to cruise a little bit around in lowsec, maybe finding some precious minerals. I got a warning though: You are entering lowsec and you will die instantly (something like that). I thought i am not even worth the ammunition yet people would have to spend to kill me (what would they get out of my ship, some railguns?). Can you tell me please, how dangerous lowsec really is? Is it worth to explore a little bit, alone? Is a destroyer sufficient or should i have something bigger? Thanks a lot!

The most dangerous place in low sec tends to be the gate from high sec. Once you are deeper in you are safer. Just keep in mind that any neutral you see in local can and probably will shoot you if they get the chance. You are safer on station or on a gate than you are in a belt or mission. But people can and will shoot you on gate or on station if they are in a ship that can tank the guns.

A destroyer is fine for going into low sec. The bigger the ship, tbh, the more attention you will draw. Taking a battleship in is likely to bring people looking for you so they can kill you. In a frig or destroyer you wont have such problems.

Scout the gate from high sec to low sec with your pod and then if its fairly clear in local then go explore. Forget about making riches off of the ore though. Low sec ores are not any more valuable than high sec ones. The only ones which are rare enough to be worth any more than the high sec ones are in null sec.
Wodensun
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#30 - 2013-03-27 09:22:01 UTC
uhmm somebody get a blaster this necro aint dead yet...

Do not give me likes them 101 likes arent a accident...

Forum Clone 77777
Doomheim
#31 - 2013-03-27 15:56:36 UTC
Yutou Narukami wrote:
Lots of stuff

Sorry guy, but you are clearly not aware of the tools available to every player in the game. Sitting in a belt is one of the most dangerous things to do, it will take me a max of 2 minutes to find you, and thats if the system is huge. Smaller systems, Ill be ontop of you in less than 30 seconds.
J'Poll
Perkone
Caldari State
#32 - 2013-03-27 16:04:14 UTC
Yutou Narukami wrote:
Inxentas Ultramar wrote:
Lost Greybeard wrote:
Inxentas Ultramar wrote:

You know, I'm pretty sure the laughing fit I just had was disproportionate to the comedic value of this statement, but what the hell. Pass that stuff along I say.

Anyways, haven't journeyed into lowsec/nullsec as of yet, closest I've gotten is 0.6. However, I figure that even in lowsec it'd be hard to be spotted by an actual player, I mean depending on the size of the system and the amount of players there, the real only chance you have of getting podded by a player is when you first exit the gate, I mean they can only see you if you're within so many km. Once you make that first warp to whatever asteroid belt you plan on mining, finding you is a matter of "here's a haystack, find the needle." Set a tab on your overview to monitor nearby player ships and if you see one, stay out of sight. Even if it doesn't look like they're out for blood, keep an escape route handy so you can AP out of there if they get too close for comfort. As for rats, well, even if the NPC's waste your ship they'll never podkill you, just make sure the route you take back to the station is devoid of players. (Course I don't really see the point of podding someone if they warp in minus their ship, but not everyone's that merciful, some people are just sadistic like that.)

Now as for that first journey through the gate, well, like Echerie-san said if there's a lot of recent podkills chances are the gate's camped so I would avoid that system for now. Also never AP when traveling, only use it when someone's bearing down on you and you need a 1-click GTFO option. AP is ridiculously slow and is more risky because you have to fly 10 km or so at normal speed, whereas manual flight drops you right on top of the station or gate. Finally, if you do get caught in a gate camp, pray that either A) you have an insurance policy and an up-to-date clone, or B) those pirates are drunk as monkeys, high as kites, or some combination of both and that you happen to be (relatively) sober enough to get out of there before their brains can process the thought of "there's a guy, lets pod him."

I'm rather new to this myself but this is the general tourist guide to lowsec I'll be following tomorrow once I start mining those systems. For now though, it's 4 in the morning and I gotta be up at 9 for work and class so goodnight.

Please come to a lowsec system and let me explain too you the following things:

* tracking camera.
* d-scan
* combat probing
* use of tacticals
* grid-fu

I can garantuee you that max 1 min after you warped to a belt you will cry to me to keep your ship in one piece.
Finding people in lowsec is easy. Even easier if they are in a normal celestial and not a safespot.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Fractal Muse
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#33 - 2013-03-27 16:14:44 UTC
J'Poll wrote:

* tracking camera.
* d-scan
* combat probing
* use of tacticals
* grid-fu

I can garantuee you that max 1 min after you warped to a belt you will cry to me to keep your ship in one piece.
Finding people in lowsec is easy. Even easier if they are in a normal celestial and not a safespot.

Can I take you up on that offer as well? Bear

What system and when?
Forum Clone 77777
Doomheim
#34 - 2013-03-27 21:00:04 UTC
Fractal Muse wrote:
J'Poll wrote:

* tracking camera.
* d-scan
* combat probing
* use of tacticals
* grid-fu

Can I take you up on that offer as well? Bear

What system and when?

Pretty sure it was a sarcastic remark to show how ignorant/uninformed the quoted person is in regards to any and everything "lowsec people" use on a daily basis.
Cyprus Black
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#35 - 2013-03-28 09:14:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Cyprus Black
Willem Teleata wrote:
Thank you again; so maybe I will try and just see what happens. I do not know if my skills are OK or not. The more i read the more i am confused; regarding skills, ships, income, careers, other people. Thats a huge game, eve... See you out there!
If you want to get a taste of lowsec, it is recommended that you go in either a shuttle, a rookie ship, or my personal favorite the mining frigate Venture. So very easy to slip through gate camps with the Venture that it becomes laughable.

Small ships are preferred because they're fast and can align and warp away fairly quickly. Any gate campers would have to be in a cruiser sized ship and up if they have any hopes of surviving NPC gate guns. Larger ships take longer to lock smaller ships which only empowers lowsec travels who fly small ships.

As to how dangerous lowsec is, that depends on the location. Some lowsec systems are dead quiet while others are gate camped to hell. It's usually the lowsec systems that border highsec that are camped. Get a few jumps in and it's often quiet.

I sometimes travel in lowsec in a battleship. Risky I know, but my Dominix battleship always travels with a Micro Jump Drive which has saved my butt countless times when I jump into a gatecamp. The shock and anger these gate campers emit is priceless as my Dominix vanishes and reappears 100k away.

Summary of EvEs last four expansions: http://imgur.com/ZL5SM33

Schmata Bastanold
In Boobiez We Trust
#36 - 2013-03-28 10:41:31 UTC
Cyprus Black wrote:
I sometimes travel in lowsec in a battleship. Risky I know, but my Dominix battleship always travels with a Micro Jump Drive which has saved my butt countless times when I jump into a gatecamp. The shock and anger these gate campers emit is priceless as my Dominix vanishes and reappears 100k away.

Hmm... so are those campers using long points only instead of scrams? Because AFAIK scram shuts down MJD spooling and locking on BS is definitely faster than 12 seconds of spooling.

I'm not saying I don't believe you got by some camps with MJD but I don't think campers in general use only long points. Especially when you can just recycle fast frig tacklers by warping them off and back to gate to avoid sentries or just use heavy tanked sensor boosted tech3 cruisers or have them alive by RR or probably a lot more tricks.

Invalid signature format

Previous page12