These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Cap using weapon

Author
Nalelmir Ahashion
Industrial Management and Engineering
Mouth Trumpet Cavalry
#1 - 2013-03-26 01:48:57 UTC
something I was wondering....

let's say I use cap using weapons like lasers or hybrid etc....

and my ship is stable cap. can I fire indef? or does the cap ends?
BORTRON BUTTSEKKS
Boner Kingdom
#2 - 2013-03-26 01:49:45 UTC
Nalelmir Ahashion wrote:
something I was wondering....

let's say I use cap using weapons like lasers or hybrid etc....

and my ship is stable cap. can I fire indef? or does the cap ends?


as long as your cap recharge keeps up i think you can fire until you run out of ammo
Nalelmir Ahashion
Industrial Management and Engineering
Mouth Trumpet Cavalry
#3 - 2013-03-26 01:56:17 UTC
and if I use laser ship and my cap is stable (green) then I can shoot my lazer forever?
Merouk Baas
#4 - 2013-03-26 02:22:14 UTC
Yes you could fire forever.

The point, though, is to kill the target, so if it repairs as fast as you shoot it, then add some heat sinks (in the lows) and switch to a more damaging (shorter range) crystal, maybe a faction or T2 crystal (which does wear out with time) so you overcome the target's tanking capabilities and kill it.

Not having to carry ammo is a benefit of lasers. You can carry different crystals, though.
Nalelmir Ahashion
Industrial Management and Engineering
Mouth Trumpet Cavalry
#5 - 2013-03-26 02:34:44 UTC
I see. I'm asking because I'm flying amarr drone ship right now and thought about trying for variety some laser ship as I've got skills at gunnery as well.
My concern was that on some mission where repair is crucial the cap will run out if I'm shooting my L4Z0rs.
Spondoo Lix
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2013-03-26 03:03:17 UTC
I'm pretty sure that if the fitting screen says cap stable, it means you can run all your fitted modules indefinitely at the same time.

Otherwise the time it shows is the amount of time before you cap out running all modules at once.
Nalelmir Ahashion
Industrial Management and Engineering
Mouth Trumpet Cavalry
#7 - 2013-03-26 03:18:42 UTC
then if I want to try some fast laser ship for L2 security agent missions which one you'll recommend? something which will kill frig to cruisers yet still be tanky enough to solo them.
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#8 - 2013-03-26 05:19:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
posted in wrong thread. duh. deleted.
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#9 - 2013-03-26 05:29:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
Generally cap stable means you are sacrificing DPS or tank for cap stability. DPS can also be considered a form of tank.

Most of my ships are cap unstable.

T1 laser crystals never wear out.
Charlepetit LaJoie
Trust Me Ltd
#10 - 2013-03-26 07:18:56 UTC
Nalelmir Ahashion wrote:
I see. I'm asking because I'm flying amarr drone ship right now and thought about trying for variety some laser ship as I've got skills at gunnery as well.
My concern was that on some mission where repair is crucial the cap will run out if I'm shooting my L4Z0rs.

You can usually fit a capacitor booster onto an Amarr ship. The lasers and armor repairer will drain your cap, but the capacitor booster will replenish your cap.
Xercodo
Cruor Angelicus
#11 - 2013-03-26 07:38:08 UTC
I'd suggest the maller or the omen

Omen is faster and does a little more damage but the maller is slower and tankier

The Drake is a Lie

Schmata Bastanold
In Boobiez We Trust
#12 - 2013-03-26 07:58:20 UTC
Not that I am an expert or sth but going for cap stability usually makes your fit inefficient. Especially if we are talking about missions in empire space where there is no problem with resupplying yourself with cap booster charges or with docking for quick cap (and shields) recharge. Of course docking and/or consumption of cap charges will cut into your ISK/hr but at early stages of your Eve adventure you should not focus on that aspect IMHO.

For PVE you should go for active tank and as much dps as you can squeeze out of your boat. Faster you kill them, smaller incoming damage will be so you won't need so much cap for reppers and won't have to worry about having juice for killing rest of rats.

And if you are planning to try pvp at some point you really should learn how to manage your cap by pulsing reppers and injecting cap charges. Better learn it early when flying relatively cheap ships than later.

Invalid signature format

darmwand
Repo.
#13 - 2013-03-26 10:42:41 UTC
I may have to disagree, I think for PvE using cap-stable ships is perfectly fine. Sure, you will be a little less efficient than with a cap booster but OTOH especially as a new player you are busy enough figuring out how things work without having to watch your cap and buying boosters. Plus the rats don't go anywhere -- if it takes you a little longer to pop them than it would with a "perfect" fit, so what?

I may have to add that my missioning days are long gone but I used to fly level 2s in (IIRC) a Vexor and level 3s in a Myrm, both of which were using active armor tanks and were cap stable. This was before the drone nerf though, things might be different these days.

"The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp."

Eliniale
S.I.G.
#14 - 2013-03-26 11:02:32 UTC
Nalelmir Ahashion wrote:
something I was wondering....

let's say I use cap using weapons like lasers or hybrid etc....

and my ship is stable cap. can I fire indef? or does the cap ends?


Yes.

Stable cap= indefinte fire (until either you have to reload or the cyrstals break. Note: only faction and TII crystals break).

Cap stable ships using lasers with big buffers are usually used for pos bust if/when the defenses are down.

System ideas: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=191928&find=unread

Velicitia
XS Tech
#15 - 2013-03-26 11:03:30 UTC
darmwand wrote:
I may have to disagree, I think for PvE using cap-stable ships is perfectly fine. Sure, you will be a little less efficient than with a cap booster but OTOH especially as a new player you are busy enough figuring out how things work without having to watch your cap and buying boosters. Plus the rats don't go anywhere -- if it takes you a little longer to pop them than it would with a "perfect" fit, so what?

I may have to add that my missioning days are long gone but I used to fly level 2s in (IIRC) a Vexor and level 3s in a Myrm, both of which were using active armor tanks and were cap stable. This was before the drone nerf though, things might be different these days.



I agree that cap stable ships are OK ... but it can get you into "bad" fitting habits that are hard to break later on, assuming you're EFT-warrioring the fits with no outside mentorship (corp member, forums, etc).

OP is taking the right route it seems, and looking for guidance on fits, which will likely end up with him understanding that the ships are merely tools here and what works in one situation won't necessarily work in another.

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

darmwand
Repo.
#16 - 2013-03-26 11:55:58 UTC
Velicitia wrote:
I agree that cap stable ships are OK ... but it can get you into "bad" fitting habits that are hard to break later on, assuming you're EFT-warrioring the fits with no outside mentorship (corp member, forums, etc).


Very true of course.

Velicitia wrote:
OP is taking the right route it seems, and looking for guidance on fits, which will likely end up with him understanding that the ships are merely tools here and what works in one situation won't necessarily work in another.


Indeed.

"The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp."

Baggo Hammers
#17 - 2013-03-26 16:57:56 UTC
Cap stable is for scrubs.

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

Katran Luftschreck
Royal Ammatar Engineering Corps
#18 - 2013-03-28 08:17:42 UTC
Nalelmir Ahashion wrote:
and if I use laser ship and my cap is stable (green) then I can shoot my lazer forever?


Yes. Pretty much the only thing the big Amarr ships are good for: all day sieges against non-moving targets with way too many hitpoints.

http://youtu.be/t0q2F8NsYQ0

Cyprus Black
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#19 - 2013-03-28 09:08:50 UTC
Nalelmir Ahashion wrote:
and if I use laser ship and my cap is stable (green) then I can shoot my lazer forever?
Yes, until your frequency crystal breaks (if it's T1 it should last a VERY long time)

Summary of EvEs last four expansions: http://imgur.com/ZL5SM33

Lost Greybeard
Drunken Yordles
#20 - 2013-03-28 19:51:52 UTC
Spondoo Lix wrote:
I'm pretty sure that if the fitting screen says cap stable, it means you can run all your fitted modules indefinitely at the same time.

Otherwise the time it shows is the amount of time before you cap out running all modules at once.


This is correct. If you're cap stable it's with every _online_ module running as far as the fitting window is concerned.

If you want to find out if you're stable with some combination of modules, you have to offline everything that wouldn't be on (for instance, I offline salvagers, tractor beams, and analyzers/codebreakers when double-checking my all-in-one exploration fit, because I'm only worried about stability when in combat with the NPCs).

It's also worth noting that in combat versus _players_ stability isn't usually a worthwhile goal in the first place, burst damage and applicability of that damage is your big concern.