These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

At all the nullbears out there is there any reason to keep local chat in null?

Author
Mirima Thurander
#61 - 2011-10-30 15:28:22 UTC
Andski wrote:
Hey OP tell me more about how amazing you are at PvP compared to all the ~nullbears~

killboards im impressed

O wait no i'm not...

All automated intel should be removed from the game including Instant local/jumps/kills/cynos for all systems/regions.Eve should report nothing like this to the client/3rd party software.Intel should not be force fed to players. Player skill and iniative should be the sources of intel.

Jenshae Chiroptera
#62 - 2011-10-30 15:32:30 UTC
Mirima Thurander wrote:

killboards im impressed

Relax. I don't think anyone takes Andski seriously. He just seems to roam from thread to thread and only makes sense half the time. Almost like he is using some sort of random forum phrase generator.

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#63 - 2011-10-30 15:33:15 UTC
Mirima Thurander wrote:
Andski wrote:
Hey OP tell me more about how amazing you are at PvP compared to all the ~nullbears~

killboards im impressed

O wait no i'm not...

having some history with solo/small gang PvP would probably help your case, but of course you're probably some stain/venal mission runner who doesn't want to be spotted in local

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

ITTigerClawIK
Galactic Rangers
#64 - 2011-10-30 15:35:13 UTC
as long as D-scan was improved and made to automaticly D-scan every 5 seconds or something i would love to see Local removed
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#65 - 2011-10-30 15:35:47 UTC
Mirima Thurander wrote:
Is there any reason to keep local chat in null?

If its because of it being an easy mode Intel tool that's a reason to remove it.

I'm not happy with the amount of hate mail I'm getting ingame yet more please.

No argument from me, you just need to post how the scanning system needs to be improved.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Paragon Renegade
Sebiestor Tribe
#66 - 2011-10-30 15:38:01 UTC
ITTigerClawIK wrote:
as long as D-scan was improved and made to automaticly D-scan every 5 seconds or something i would love to see Local removed

The pie is a tautology

Amro One
One.
#67 - 2011-10-30 15:43:41 UTC
Another idiot 0.0 pilot not aware that wormholes exist.
Probably not aware that they have no local chat really.

Wonder if hes the same idiot that did not know WHs had ABC ore.

Morons should really shut up if they never played the game really.
Teamosil
Good Time Family Band Solution
#68 - 2011-10-30 15:57:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Teamosil
Is sov 0.0 safer nowdays or hi sec?

Sure, in 0.0 you have big fleet battles, but you're sort of intentionally joining those, so that is not that different from say faction warfare in terms of your peace of mind. But with local you pretty much know there is 0 chance of getting ganked in sov 0.0 since most of the time everybody is local is blue to you, where in hi sec you can get ganked. Seems about the same. In both you don't really need to dscan. In both you can go afk to make lunch or something with your ship in space and be reasonably certain that nothing will happen to it. You can mine and watch tv at the same time in 0.0, but not really in hi sec. In sov 0.0 there is probably a smaller chance that somebody is waiting to gank you on the other side of a gate you're heading towards since your alliance controls the system, but they could have a bubble up and there is no concorde, so if there is a ganker there, it's harder to survive it in 0.0. Overall it seems like it balances out to about the same level of security to me, right?
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#69 - 2011-10-30 17:11:13 UTC
Teamosil wrote:
Is sov 0.0 safer nowdays or hi sec?

Sure, in 0.0 you have big fleet battles, but you're sort of intentionally joining those, so that is not that different from say faction warfare in terms of your peace of mind. But with local you pretty much know there is 0 chance of getting ganked in sov 0.0 since most of the time everybody is local is blue to you, where in hi sec you can get ganked. Seems about the same. In both you don't really need to dscan. In both you can go afk to make lunch or something with your ship in space and be reasonably certain that nothing will happen to it. You can mine and watch tv at the same time in 0.0, but not really in hi sec. In sov 0.0 there is probably a smaller chance that somebody is waiting to gank you on the other side of a gate you're heading towards since your alliance controls the system, but they could have a bubble up and there is no concorde, so if there is a ganker there, it's harder to survive it in 0.0. Overall it seems like it balances out to about the same level of security to me, right?

okay go ninja rat/mine/whatever in HED and tell me about "safety"

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Teamosil
#70 - 2011-10-30 17:18:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Teamosil
Andski wrote:
okay go ninja rat/mine/whatever in HED and tell me about "safety"

Uh, of course it is not safe to be in someone else's sov 0.0... Duh. But, I'm talking about being in one's own sov 0.0. When a player is a member of a big alliance and they're hanging around deep within their borders. Is that more safe, less safe, or roughly as safe, as hi sec?
Jenshae Chiroptera
#71 - 2011-10-30 17:20:29 UTC
Teamosil wrote:

Uh, of course it is not safe to be in someone else's sov 0.0... Duh. But, I'm talking about being in one's own sov 0.0. Is that more safe, less safe, or roughly as safe, as hi sec?

How many live and do their things in both?

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

Teamosil
#72 - 2011-10-30 17:20:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Teamosil
Jenshae Chiroptera wrote:
How many live and do their things in both?

True. Maybe the sov 0.0 people just aren't really aware of what life is like elsewhere. All this "OMG that would mean I would need to dscan!" talk, like that would be a bizarre and unfair burden to place on them, despite the fact that in most systems you need to be doing that all the time, seems to support that theory...
Jack Tronic
borkedLabs
#73 - 2011-10-30 17:21:47 UTC
Sentient Blade wrote:
Because hitting the dscan button every 30 seconds is tedious in the extreme. Forcing constant manual scanning would harm game enjoyment.

Not to mention completely unrealistic as-is because even now, x-thousand years before EvE, you don't have people sitting on warships pushing a button to make the radar go around once every while.

You do realize wspace players seem to have no problem with dscan, especially when you find out hteres hidden hotkeys for it
David Grogan
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#74 - 2011-10-30 18:35:07 UTC  |  Edited by: David Grogan
i have a proposal

remove local but introduce anchorable scanner probes at gates. The probes auto scan every 60 seconds. Also only a max of 3 (1 per person) per gate to prevent scanner lag.

now these ONLY tell you ship type that came through the gate not the player's name and ONLY tell the person who owns the probes.

The probes should be killable... maybe make them like GSC's in terms of hit points and resists

Everytime you buy something that says "made in china" you are helping the rising unemployment in your own country unless you are from china, Buy locally produced goods and help create more jobs.

Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#75 - 2011-10-30 20:33:32 UTC
Jack Tronic wrote:
Sentient Blade wrote:
Because hitting the dscan button every 30 seconds is tedious in the extreme. Forcing constant manual scanning would harm game enjoyment.

Not to mention completely unrealistic as-is because even now, x-thousand years before EvE, you don't have people sitting on warships pushing a button to make the radar go around once every while.

You do realize wspace players seem to have no problem with dscan, especially when you find out hteres hidden hotkeys for it

Great, go to a wormhole

Jita Alt666
#76 - 2011-10-30 20:44:38 UTC
Removing local affects the defence of lazy anomoly runners. Removing local limits the instantaneous intel of the lazy attackers. Most players in Eve are lazy. Removal of Local (with no other adjustments) will reduce the numbers involved in 0.0. Making an adjustment to the d-scan system that allowed both the attacker and the defender to see to go hand in hand with the removal of local could be a nice game enhancement.

Cypermethren
Perkone
Caldari State
#77 - 2011-10-30 20:59:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Cypermethren
Mirima Thurander wrote:
Sentient Blade wrote:
Because hitting the dscan button every 30 seconds is tedious in the extreme. Forcing constant manual scanning would game enjoyment.

So you like having an easy mode intel tool then?

Katrina Oniseki wrote:
Nope. Never seen this thread before.

i know right?

Because clicking the same button and reading a list every 10 seconds take massive skill no?

I understand what you're getting at, but Dscan is not a good/viable solution. Help CCP come up with something fun/exciting - something that doesnt involve wearing down you're mouse button like your'e playing Diablo 2, and the 0.0 community may be more enticed to push for CCP to remove local.

But at current, we'd prefer to buy Monocles than sit there clicking dscan every 10seconds

Actualy, i'll tell you what.

Remove concord's reporting of 0.0 statistics, such as where cyno's are lit, how many npc's killed in system, and how many podkills, jumps, and all that ****. And i'll gladly take no local.
Mirima Thurander
#78 - 2011-10-30 22:56:50 UTC
Cypermethren wrote:

Actualy, i'll tell you what.

Remove concord's reporting of 0.0 statistics, such as where cyno's are lit, how many npc's killed in system, and how many podkills, jumps, and all that ****. And i'll gladly take no local.

yes please

All automated intel should be removed from the game including Instant local/jumps/kills/cynos for all systems/regions.Eve should report nothing like this to the client/3rd party software.Intel should not be force fed to players. Player skill and iniative should be the sources of intel.

Barbara Nichole
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#79 - 2011-10-31 00:41:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Barbara Nichole
Sentient Blade wrote:

please note if you aren't already using dscan to look for active probes in null sec you are taking risks.. local gives free intel.. which is the greatest reason to like it. I'm not a proponent of removing all local... though I would not object to it's removal in null sec - the only thing I believe really needs to be done is removing cloaked vessels from local in null sec.

- remove the cloaked from local; free intel is the real problem, not  "afk" cloaking -

[IMG]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a208/DawnFrostbringer/consultsig.jpg[/IMG]

Mirima Thurander
#80 - 2011-11-01 20:23:46 UTC
up