These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Torps and Cruise Missiles... do they need a boost?

First post
Author
Lucine Delacourt
The Covenant of Blood
#101 - 2013-03-25 17:17:42 UTC
Super Chair wrote:
I really do feel that a lot of the platforms for torps need looking at and not the weapon itself. Raven obviously needs a boost (some PG and slot layout changes, imo). It has the range bonus (much needed for torps) it just needs everything else as a battleship.

Cruise missiles need a velocity increase, right now the only useful thing I find them for is POS bashing and watching missiles keep hitting a primaried target once it gets back into the POS shields, believing it is safe and just narrowly escaped death....nope chuck testa Big smile

I don't think it is possible for them to buff Torps enough to make the Golem OP, so it seems like buffing the missile and removing the amount buffed from the SB bonus's would be the easiest way. I think finding a way for torps to be viable on a Navy Scorp would be ideal. It fits more of the brawler role than the Raven.
Arronicus
State War Academy
Caldari State
#102 - 2013-03-25 19:03:19 UTC
Morrigan LeSante wrote:

Cruises are ok for that purpose [PvE], they're just not a Machariel - Should that really be the benchmark anyway, since it's pretty obvious the thing is an aberration compared to every other hull out there.

What. The. Hell.

Cruise missiles are not a machariel? Do you understand how stupid that sounds?

"But Arronicus, even though that's EXACTLY what I said, I meant Cruise missiles on a Raven are not a machariel"

Ok, now you're comparing a tech 1 ship, to a pirate faction ship. Still stupid.

"But Arronicus, I -really- meant Caldari Navy Ravens, when I said Raven"

Now you're comparing a missile boat with long range weaponry, to a projectile boat with short range weaponry.

However, should you actually make a worthwhile comparison, like say, a cruise missile NAVY raven, to an artillery Machariel, for pve, you'll find the navy raven vastly outperforms the machariel. Similarly, if you compared a torpedo navy raven, to an autocannon Machariel (BOTH short range weapons), you'd find that on large targets, the navy raven has higher effective dps. The main problem with torpedos in pvp on ships like the raven, and typhoon, is their inability to even SCRATCH smaller hulls, where something like blasters, lasers, or even gimp-tracking autocannons can tear them up.

As for your comment that the machariel is an aberration compared to every other hull;
The Vindicator is a far superior pvp hull, with the constraint of being more skillpoint intensive (a little), and more expensive to fly. For PvE purposes, The nightmare, paladin, vargur, vindicator, and one or two others I might be forgetting, offer a much better blend of true projected damage, higher max dps, and a better active tank.

It's uninformed people like you, that have no idea about the weak or strong points of a particular ship, or what ships that are actually better than it, that get ships nerfed (or buffed) when they don't need it, or when other ships need it more than they do.
Goldensaver
Maraque Enterprises
Just let it happen
#103 - 2013-03-25 19:31:38 UTC
Arronicus wrote:
Morrigan LeSante wrote:

Cruises are ok for that purpose [PvE], they're just not a Machariel - Should that really be the benchmark anyway, since it's pretty obvious the thing is an aberration compared to every other hull out there.

What. The. Hell.

"But Arronicus, even though that's EXACTLY what I said, I meant Cruise missiles on a Raven are not a machariel"

Now you're comparing a missile boat with long range weaponry, to a projectile boat with short range weaponry.

However, should you actually make a worthwhile comparison, like say, a cruise missile NAVY raven, to an artillery Machariel, for pve, you'll find the navy raven vastly outperforms the machariel. Similarly, if you compared a torpedo navy raven, to an autocannon Machariel (BOTH short range weapons), you'd find that on large targets, the navy raven has higher effective dps. The main problem with torpedos in pvp on ships like the raven, and typhoon, is their inability to even SCRATCH smaller hulls, where something like blasters, lasers, or even gimp-tracking autocannons can tear them up.

As for your comment that the machariel is an aberration compared to every other hull;
The Vindicator is a far superior pvp hull, with the constraint of being more skillpoint intensive (a little), and more expensive to fly. For PvE purposes, The nightmare, paladin, vargur, vindicator, and one or two others I might be forgetting, offer a much better blend of true projected damage, higher max dps, and a better active tank.

It's uninformed people like you, that have no idea about the weak or strong points of a particular ship, or what ships that are actually better than it, that get ships nerfed (or buffed) when they don't need it, or when other ships need it more than they do.

First up: the guy you quoted was actually saying that, you know, perhaps the Machariel shouldn't be the benchmark to whom we compare all other ships. Just a thought.

Second: "where something like blasters, lasers, or even gimp-tracking autocannons can tear them up."
Pulse lasers have the worst tracking of all close range guns. AC's will track better than them. I don't see where this "gimp-tracking autocannons" thing comes in.

Third: The Vindicator isn't a far superior PvP hull. It's a nice hull as well, but in a different role. Apples to oranges. They're both (expensive pirate) BS's (with a Gallente/Minmatar skill base), but that's about it for the similarities.

And don't the Machariel and Vargur project the same? I thought they had about the same bonus to falloff, but the Machariel had more lows...

Also, selected damage types are important for both PvP and PvE, giving it a wider niche than say, the Vindicator/Kronos, or the Nightmare/Paladin in PvE.
Morrigan LeSante
Perkone
Caldari State
#104 - 2013-03-25 22:23:24 UTC
Goldensaver wrote:
Arronicus wrote:
Morrigan LeSante wrote:

What. The. Hell.

First up: the guy you quoted was actually saying that, you know, perhaps the Machariel shouldn't be the benchmark to whom we compare all other ships. Just a thought.

Correct Smile

I'm not sure how Arronicus thought I had issue with cruises...but there we go, such is the Internet I suppose.

Let me put it in terms perhaps clearer - buffs to cruises seriously risk overpowering the raven family in PvE terms. Fitted correctly they have fantastic *applied* DPS - something one only learns from experience of actually flying them.

But don't let that get in the way of a rant Blink
Mike Whiite
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#105 - 2013-03-26 09:13:02 UTC
They should adjust the large missiles through ammo and or launchers.

I think Projectiles are a good way to compare, due to the simulairity to diferent damage types and platforms that don't cost cap to use.

Projectiles have a double the amount of t1 ammo than missiles and the have multiple turrets that adjust there output in one way or the other.

if there would be more ways to adjust damage/range/rof/explosion rad. and explosion vel. through ammo and or launcher that might solve a lot of problems that the large missiles have at the moment, without making them particulair OP.

same for Cap missiles.

I don't think other missiles have need for an adjustment like that, but I think the gap between the largest missiles and the smallest targets is to big not bring in an option to slightly adjust this and to just adjust exsisting the change thay become to good lies arround the corner though by adjusting ammo and or launchers they other varibles can be nerfed for the glory of acuracy for example.

(mind though I''m not suggesting that it should fire a heavy missile eqivalent from a cruise missiles launcher, before someone tries to disrupt my post.)

Bouh Revetoile
In Wreck we thrust
#106 - 2013-03-26 16:47:37 UTC
Mike Whiite wrote:
They should adjust the large missiles through ammo and or launchers.

I think Projectiles are a good way to compare, due to the simulairity to diferent damage types and platforms that don't cost cap to use.

Projectiles have a double the amount of t1 ammo than missiles and the have multiple turrets that adjust there output in one way or the other.

if there would be more ways to adjust damage/range/rof/explosion rad. and explosion vel. through ammo and or launcher that might solve a lot of problems that the large missiles have at the moment, without making them particulair OP.

same for Cap missiles.

I don't think other missiles have need for an adjustment like that, but I think the gap between the largest missiles and the smallest targets is to big not bring in an option to slightly adjust this and to just adjust exsisting the change thay become to good lies arround the corner though by adjusting ammo and or launchers they other varibles can be nerfed for the glory of acuracy for example.

(mind though I''m not suggesting that it should fire a heavy missile eqivalent from a cruise missiles launcher, before someone tries to disrupt my post.)

Congrat ! You just reinvent precison missiles !
sixth sense
#107 - 2013-03-26 17:52:22 UTC
Torps are fine, Cruises need one

-> Why?

Torps do valuable damage for their purpose (against big sig, low speed targets)

Cruises just do moderate damage, put the damage projection time is horrible and you dont even need in one situation a range of 200km for missiles (->damage projection time)
Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#108 - 2013-03-26 18:17:34 UTC
sixth sense wrote:
Torps are fine, Cruises need one

-> Why?

Torps do valuable damage for their purpose (against big sig, low speed targets)

Cruises just do moderate damage, put the damage projection time is horrible and you dont even need in one situation a range of 200km for missiles (->damage projection time)

Torpedo without any bonus to thier explosion velocity can probably be partially speed tanked by a battleship with an afterburner...
Bouh Revetoile
In Wreck we thrust
#109 - 2013-03-26 18:26:08 UTC
Frostys Virpio wrote:
Torpedo without any bonus to thier explosion velocity can probably be partially speed tanked by a battleship with an afterburner...

There is not *any* way for a BS to reduce torpedo damage besides afterburner...
Reppyk
The Black Shell
#110 - 2013-03-26 18:30:16 UTC
Bouh Revetoile wrote:
Any mwd will work, or flying a typhoon, or a halo set, or a ragnarok, and any nano/overdrive module. And loki links.

I DONT LIKE YOUR "ANY" SIR

Duel ! O_/

I AM SPACE CAPTAIN REPPYK. BEWARE.

Proud co-admin of frugu.net, a French fansite about EVE !

Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#111 - 2013-03-26 18:34:12 UTC
Reppyk wrote:
Bouh Revetoile wrote:
Any mwd will work, or flying a typhoon, or a halo set, or a ragnarok, and any nano/overdrive module. And loki links.

Duel ! O_/

The real question imo is can you "speed tank" them to a large extent? At what point do we consider a torpedo being speed tanked by a battle ship not effective aaginst large ship? Is a battleship not large enough to be considered large?
Bouh Revetoile
In Wreck we thrust
#112 - 2013-03-26 19:29:37 UTC
Reppyk wrote:

Duel ! O_/

Well, any may be a tiny bit excessive, although GMP skill now counter a fair amount of speed for BS. A triple trimark double 1600mm Megathron for example will take full damage, even with a MWD.

And the Typhoon is a BC... :p

Signature counter speed, and navy torpedoes with GMP5 have 337m explosion radius. A target painter will counter almost any speed module a BS could fit.

The problem is that missiles doing consistant damage should be balanced by a lower damage output, though that's obviously not the case with torpedoes, so the drawback is a very selective set of target or need for support (TP/web) to apply these damage fully.
Noisrevbus
#113 - 2013-03-26 23:20:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Noisrevbus
Bouh Revetoile wrote:

Signature counter speed, and navy torpedoes with GMP5 have 337m explosion radius. A target painter will counter almost any speed module a BS could fit.

Bouh, are you sure you want to open up that discussion again in this thread? We've just recently put it to rest.

The painter (or the web) is not the direct counter to a propmod (or bonuses), it's an indirect counter through tackle EW meant to be balanced by re-countering sensor EW.

The fact that sensor EW compare so poorly to tackle- and two-tackle (propulsion-inhibiting, thus accuracy-affecting) EW is what make painters, webs and points so incredibly powerful today: especially on missile ships in a larger gang.

If you counter webs and painters with damps or ECM:
no projected EW will affect propmods, making accuracy a more important factor.

If you counter points and scrams with damps or ECM:
no projected EW will affect warp-outs, making delayed damage a more severe drawback.

The problem you have making those arguments you do is that you assume an imbalance (between EW) to be granted.

If you wanted to raise the point that tackle EW is imbalanced by sensor EW being underbalanced, and that in turn imbalances accuracies, then i would agree with you. Now however, you are skipping important steps in that logic to shoehorn an agenda against missiles while turning a blind eye to everthing else that is "overpowered" by the same premise (capwar, trackwar, remoting, blapping, LR-SR balance, lynchpins and large-small gang balance etc. etc.).

Why are you insisting on fixing all those isolated issues, backwards, one by one instead of fixing the single cause that ripples all those issues? I don't get it, it's terribly inefficient game-design.

You are literally trying to blindly make a case against missiles by highlighting the real problem and ignoring it:

The painter (EW), in your example, lack sufficient counters (EW).

Idea Improve the counters (EW), specificly their range (while fixing their true issues, such as stacking upon fewer ships).
All these issues are ripples from CCP not knowing what to do with ECM (and damps) so they gave it the same all-in-one treatment as they just did missiles, instead of properly defining what the real problem was and fixing it. Now we reap what was sown, once the missile changes take root there will be new ripples because the method (nerf-hammer) is poor.

If we simply ignore propmods as the counter to any oversized or accuracy-balanced weapon system, then we can also safely assume that sitting still with a larger ship in a larger gang will continue to be the common practise in EVE. Is that not what we wanted to get away from when we began discussing missile balance? (specificly HML, on Drakes).
Noisrevbus
#114 - 2013-03-27 00:02:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Noisrevbus
dbl.
Janna Windforce
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#115 - 2013-03-27 11:28:33 UTC
Bouh Revetoile wrote:

And the Typhoon is a BC... :p

I understand that all that minmatar weather ship names can be confusing, but Typhoon is indeed a battleship. In certain areas of the worlds, typhoon is called tornado, hurricane or even cyclone, if it goes really bad, then we have tempest or even maelstrom.
In EVE though, those are different ships ;)
Bouh Revetoile
In Wreck we thrust
#116 - 2013-03-27 11:49:39 UTC
Noisrevbus wrote:
You are literally trying to blindly make a case against missiles by highlighting the real problem and ignoring it:

The painter (EW), in your example, lack sufficient counters (EW).

I'm not making a case against anything hre ! I'm trying to understand what make large missiles supposedly bad. People here clame that large missiles need a buff. Do you think it's the case too ?

I was NOT advocating for a large missiles nerf, and the TD example I gave was limited to torpedoes damage.

I assume what we have currently on TD.

And infact, *you* just opened the discussion to this thread.

One question though : how do you counter a TP in torpedo range ? LR large fleet is not everything. I can assume ECM and damp will be fixed to be able to counter TP if you want, but I hardly see how ECM won't counter everything then, and damp will never counter TP at closer range (unless it counter everything too).

You should really developpe your idea about EW IMO.

Though I completely agree with you for the general idea applyed to fleet fights. ECM and damp counter long point, long web and TD as well as logi, but ECM still don't work on unbonused hull, and damp don't only have a very limited use at short range. Maybe that's what you are saying ?

Anyway, counter or not, you cannot design torp to hit a BS for full damage even when with an AB... And this apply for all missiles : they need a counter and AB is one, so it's fine. That's what I'm saying. HML weren't in this state, because even the fastest frigates with signature bonus weren't able to avoid their damages, and they did almost as many raw damage than a upper class weapon.

PS : about the Typhoon, it was a joke about the fact that the Typhoon have the signature of a BC and is faster than some BC (just compare it to the Drake or the Myrmidon for example). Whatever its name, if something move like a BC and is not larger than a BC, why couldn't I call it a BC ? Maybe you prefer I call these BC BS ?
PS2 : lol about all this wind. :D
Moonlit Raid
Doomheim
#117 - 2013-03-27 12:59:06 UTC
I'd like longer range on torps for this reason: My rokh fitted with blasters has an effective range of 50km using tech 2 ammo, no rigs, no lows. My golem fitted with tech 2 torps has a range of 58km on a tech 2 ship and I have to use two tech 2 rigs to get that range.

If brute force isn't working, you're just not using enough.

Please Note: Any advice given comes with the caveat that nothing will be suitable for every situation.

Noisrevbus
#118 - 2013-03-28 05:09:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Noisrevbus
Bouh Revetoile wrote:

I'm not making a case against anything hre ! I'm trying to understand what make large missiles supposedly bad. People here clame that large missiles need a buff. Do you think it's the case too?

What i did was argue against your common use of examples that involves target painters:
Quote:
A target painter will counter almost any speed module a BS could fit.
It's about as ludicrous as comparing two turrets and saying the one with worse base tracking actually does more damage because it had tracking mods or painters applied while the other one didn't (or didn't need to).

I've spent a couple of threads now trying to tell you that basicly every missile in the game is balanced around not doing 100% of it's paper damage. That's how they are balanced. It's an oversimplification but in essence, that's how it is and getting into details with you seem to leave you missing the larger picture.

You are prone to use examples with painters as some sort of crude counter-argument to propmods:
Quote:
A target painter will counter almost any speed module a BS could fit.
For all intents and purposes the 'natural speed' of a ship, is it's speed with a propmod running and the ship moving, and as such the 'natural accuracy' of any weapon system is a ship going full speed.

There is no "what if a ship had a propmod?". Every ship has a propmod (and mobility is not a projected effect like EW).

That is the natural environment of any ship in EVE. Ships are not meant to sit still: the weapon systems and accuracy mechanics are balanced around ships moving, not sitting still.

The fact that ships are sitting still (either by choice, or by the imbalance between two-tackling EW and sensor EW) is what leads to this profileration of oversized weapons and missiles.

Yet you've come into any missile thread lately wielding "what if you apply painters?" examples and claiming HML had no credible drawbacks. The drawbacks of missiles is what is visible when you take all the EW out of the equation.

How is that so hard to get?

"Delayed damage is no drawback" - it's a hell of a drawback when what you're shooting is not pointed.
"Missiles do more damage than X" - their applied damage is below 100% if you don't web or paint the target.

I'm sorry if my tone is getting harsh, but it's frustrating having to repeat even the most basic aspects of the mechanics over and over when there are so many details that can complicate it further.

Quote:
You should really developpe your idea about EW IMO.

What's there to develop that hasn't been said already?

Reverse the 45+90 paradigm to 90+45 for the sensor-based systems so they can compete with 100km webs and points.

As it stands, it's a counter-intuitive situation where you would bring damps or ECM to deal with long range points, webs, painters and projected damage from oversized weapons; but in order to deal with it the countering ships would need to operate within the point, web, painted and projected damage themselves.

This was always the true problem with HML that enabled large gangs to either sit still and lob missiles, or randomly follow an orbiting anchor without having to pay attention to accuracy effects. That whole common strategy is utter crap if there is a way to counter the few lynchpins webbing and painting. The inability to credibly do that is the real "OP" of HML.

Reversing damps to 90+45 would simply mean they catch diminishing returns slower. In a 45+90 system they are operating in falloff and will have trouble eating a 150km sensor down to a contained range at half effect. In fact, almost any sensible use of damps today assumes using them in falloff, which is simply odd as it's a range-dependent system. The same goes for ECM, it was always designed around Caldari range-combat ideals; that's how it was envisioned and originally balanced as a sniping system meant to be countered by snipers and sniping-counters like damps.

On top of that ECM should be changed to a scripted, stacking-limited mechanic where you are only allowed to run one attempt per ship at a time while the racial modules are changed into racial scripts to enable more balanced setups. Not only will that help lone ships battling ECM outnumbered but also improve the value of ECCM.
Mike Whiite
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#119 - 2013-03-28 07:58:08 UTC
Bouh Revetoile wrote:
Congrat ! You just reinvent precison missiles !

hmm just when you started to build arguments you're falling back to this form of comenting, sad.

maybe you should read it again, and see the diference.
Bouh Revetoile
In Wreck we thrust
#120 - 2013-03-28 11:34:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Bouh Revetoile
Noisrevbus wrote:
"Missiles do more damage than X" - their applied damage is below 100% if you don't web or paint the target.
That is wrong ! As I said, a double 1600mm plate + triple armor rig Megathron will take full damage from navy torpedoes, MWD or not. Indeed, an AB will reduce these damage, but when was the last time you saw an AB BS ? AB are used specifically to counter large weapons, and that would work against large missiles, but these large missiles are not used in the first place, so using AB is a bit useless in this purpose.

As for HML, that's indeed not wrong anymore because of the speed buff cruisers received and the nerf HM received. Explosion radius of HM was largely bellow cruiser signature radius which compensated the cruiser speed vs explosion velocity even with MWD. The only counter to HML was AB. And As I said, even an Ares, one of the fastest ship with a bonus to MWD signature (basically, you cannot better tank heavy missiles), was NOT able to mitigate Tengu damage to the point a light missiles ship wouldn't have killed it a lot faster !

HML weren't OP only because of their large fleet use, but also because of their small scale use and their overversatility.

And if I used TP example, it was only because the AB is more of a counter to missiles than a regular prop mod you consider every ship using. So using TP to counter a counter seemed relevant to me. My TP example would be misplaced and relevant to your EWAR crusade if only missiles didn't hit their itended target for full damage. But missiles do hit their target for full damage, so TP is only a counter to a counter to missiles.

A MWD do NOT counter missiles most of the time, because with GMP skill, explosion radius of missiles is lower than their average target's signature radius, and the difference between these radius, exarcebated by MWD sig penalty, compensate the relitavely higher speed to signature of the MWD. Shield tanking signature penalty remove any advantage of speed you could get, and armor tanking would allow you to speed tank missiles only if you didn't trimarked it or if you used low slot speed modules. That is NOT the regular cases.

As for EWAR, I already said I completely agree with you, but that does almost nothing for short range job. That almost only focus on large gang long range stuff, except maybe for ECM. These are fine ideas though.

@Mike Whiite : my apologies, I may have been a bit harsh. Though, there is no difference in the idea level between your suggestion and precision missiles : both ideas looked at reducing damages/range and improving explosion velocity/radius. Precision missiles just do that : allowing you to better hit smaller target at the expense of lower damage output. As you said, you can't make them too good, or they wouldn't be a point for smaller missiles, and IMO a smaller target should still retain an advantage, because there is plenty of deadly things for them (neutralizers, drones, web, TP). Maybe precision missiles need adjustments, but that wouldn't be different from what you are suggesting. And the case with short missiles not having precision ammo is because of their damage output in one hand, and because of the reverse paradigm between turrets and missiles regarding damage application (though only T2 ammo now support this paradigm).

PS : and I forgot about the damage delay drawback. It is, indeed, a drawback, but how many people warped out to not be volleyed by Drakes or Tengu before them being nerfed ? Drake's HM were not even slower than cruise missiles. I never heard of any problem of damage delay when facing Drake or Tengu fleet, which make me suppose damage delay is not a significant problem in large missiles use.