These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Building a new gaming PC...

Author
Geormike Deninard
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2011-10-29 22:12:17 UTC
...It's more difficult than it looks, especially when you got way too limited budget (€1000 right now) and want it to last a few years.

I am Greek, and our income is as low as it will ever be right now. I am lucky that i have those €1000 to spare right now, so please go easy at the money.

I want it to:

- Have a decent graphics card (aiming for geforce gtx 470)
- Have an intel core i7 (if possible with such a low budget)
- Be able to play BF3
- Have Win7 (64 bit)
- At least 6gb ddr3 of memory

Now im not expert with this kind of stuff, so im not sure what im saying right here. Those are what i need:

- Graphics Card
- RAM
- Motherboard
- HDD
- PSU
- Case
- Coolers

Any good combos suggested? What should i nerf or what should i buff? Is this budget enough for a good gaming PC?

Thanks in advance for any replies guys!
AlleyKat
The Unwanted.
#2 - 2011-10-29 22:53:14 UTC
Really not a good time to be buying a pc right now.

Everything is changing in the next 3-6 months from Intel to ATI to Nvidia. New motherboards, new chips, new memory...

Whatever you buy today is going to drop in price so hard it'll knock your teeth out. I appreciate it's always a risk with PC's, but either you get the machine you were going to get today, at tomorrow's low low low prices, or you kick yourself for being impulsive.

I'm seeing e-tailers hiking prices all over with their existing stock and putting most mid-range configs on 'pre-order' only, meaning they are taking the orders and then only buying them at bulk to obtain higher profit margin diffusion. Sneaky.

If you just want to play BF3, buy a PS3 for a few hundred and bank the rest for next spring.

AK

This space for rent.

Astenion
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2011-10-29 23:22:42 UTC
Every single year it's like that around Christmas. They jack up the prices starting in October and by February a new lot of tech gets released for the same price at about one tenth more power. Save your money and buy the same stuff later for half the price.

Also, if it's so bad in Greece right now, why are you buying a new PC?
Marie Hartinez
Aries Munitions and Defense
#4 - 2011-10-30 00:15:27 UTC
Had a nice long post with well through out recommendations and it got eaten. Curse you forum gods.

Personally, after looking at the exchange rate for USD to Euros, 1,000 Euros is a good amount to buy a computer, especially if you're building it yourself.

For now, I'll just the following:

1. ASUS makes good motherboards for either Intel or AMD CPUs.
2. Save money and go with mechanical HDD's over SSD's. SSD's are expensive for their capacity. Seagate and WesternDigital are about equal as manufactures.
3. a GTX 470 is a good mid to high range card. I recommend EVGA as they make good cards.
4. I prefer AMD CPU's over Intel as they are generally cheaper to a "comparable" Intel CPU. But Intel does have some nice mid range CPU offerings.
5. get at least a 650 watt PSU, preferably from Thermotake.
6. full size towers are great if you plan to throw a lot of stuff in there, but if not, then go with a mid size tower.
7. never go with pre-built computers from companies like Gateway or Dell if you can help it. They're just overpriced junk.

If you shop around online at sites like Newegg or Tigerdirect, you can find many great deals. They have deals on bare-bones systems, package deals like a motherboard and CPU, etc.

If you're unsure on building you're own computer, find a friend with experience, look online for guides, and follow the manuals that come with the hardware.

Surrender is still your slightly less painful option.

Citizen20100211442
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#5 - 2011-10-30 00:25:46 UTC
What about spending some money to buy few plexes , for random Europeans, who help your lazy greek asses to have 14 wages per year?

To be, or not to be, that's the question.

AlleyKat
The Unwanted.
#6 - 2011-10-30 04:19:29 UTC
Citizen20100211442 wrote:
What about spending some money to buy few plexes , for random Europeans, who help your lazy greek asses to have 14 wages per year?

???

14 wages a year?

wth does that mean?

This space for rent.

Geormike Deninard
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2011-10-30 14:58:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Geormike Deninard
Hey guys again, thanks for a lot of great replies. What i got so far is:

Graphics Card: TwinTech GTX 470 (PCI-Express, GDDR5, 1280MB)

Motherboard: Foxconn Flaming Blade (1366, DDR3, X58) (Bulk)
Processor: Intel Core I7-950 (s1366, 3.06GHz, 8MB, Box)
RAM: Corsair XMS3 8GB DDR3-1600 Kit
PSU: Turbo-X 650W Value Series
HDD: Seagate ST31000524AS 1TB HDD 3.5" (32MB Cache, 7200RPM, Sata 6Gb/s)
Monitor: Samsung S22A100 LED Monitor 21,5''
Keyboard: Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Gaming Keyboard
Case: CoolerMaster Elite 430 Black Case (RC-430-KWN1)
Coolers: CoolerMaster Hyper 101 CPU Cooler (RR-H101-30PK-RU) x4

Are those things compatible with each other? is €1020 a good price for all of those? Should i buff something? Should i downgrade something? Are those specs good enough for a nice computer? Am i missing anything? Do i make a lot of questions?

Thanks again guys.
Lithalnas
Dirt 'n' Glitter
Local Is Primary
#8 - 2011-10-30 18:31:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Lithalnas
Geormike Deninard wrote:
Hey guys again, thanks for a lot of great replies. What i got so far is:

Graphics Card: TwinTech GTX 470 (PCI-Express, GDDR5, 1280MB)

Motherboard: Foxconn Flaming Blade (1366, DDR3, X58) (Bulk)
Processor: Intel Core I7-950 (s1366, 3.06GHz, 8MB, Box)
RAM: Corsair XMS3 8GB DDR3-1600 Kit
PSU: Turbo-X 650W Value Series
HDD: Seagate ST31000524AS 1TB HDD 3.5" (32MB Cache, 7200RPM, Sata 6Gb/s)
Monitor: Samsung S22A100 LED Monitor 21,5''
Keyboard: Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Gaming Keyboard
Case: CoolerMaster Elite 430 Black Case (RC-430-KWN1)
Coolers: CoolerMaster Hyper 101 CPU Cooler (RR-H101-30PK-RU) x4

Are those things compatible with each other? is €1020 a good price for all of those? Should i buff something? Should i downgrade something? Are those specs good enough for a nice computer? Am i missing anything? Do i make a lot of questions?

Thanks again guys.

not really that good a decision, you have some much better options there

Graphics Card: the 470 is beat by the 560 ti. All the makers are fairly good

I would switch from the x58 series to the z68 sandy bridge series
Motherboard: Asus P8Z68 LE
CPU: Intel i5-2500k
RAM: Corsair Vengence series, 8gb (2x4gb)
PSU: Corsair builders series 430W
HDD Western Digital Caviar black 1tb
Monitor ok
Keyboard ok i guess
Case ok
cooler: ok, but i might go for the coolermaster Hyper n 520

You save something like 50$ on the cpu and the motherboard is the same price (i can only find 1 Foxconn Flaming blade board on ebay which worries me) spend a little more on the better graphics card which draws less power than the 470 and performs the same if not better for only 20$ difference in price.

Convo me in game if you want some other specifics, i can go on ad nausium but that would be mostly irrelevant.

https://www.facebook.com/RipSeanVileRatSmith shoot at blue for Vile Rat http://community.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=73406

Angry Onions
Fast Eddy's X-ploding Diner
#9 - 2011-10-30 20:17:32 UTC
I would reccomend a HAF 932 case from Cooler Master, it is a great case ( a bit heavy) but for the 9 fans i have on it, its really quiet.
I would suggest an AMD cpu as they are cheaper and many times the only difference between an INTEL and AMD cpu is about 500$ and a minute (often un-imporatant) detail.
graphics cards are something im slightly confused about as now it seems that you can SLI bridge two nvidia grafix cards on a AMD machine??? I need to read up on this, but either ATI or Nvidia should be good.
RAM, should have a minimum of 4GB, 8GB would be best if trying to keep cost down, also make sure it has a high clock rate of around 1800 (or is 1800 slow now?)
HDD... easy as pie, 1TB is all you need, ive had the same one for 5 or so years and still works fine.

I havent built or really looked at compu-guts since last spring, so my knowledge might be a bit dated.

One thing I would be cautious about, ASUS, i love their products, but I've had bad luck with ASUS-AMD setup =\

S H I T P O S T I N G

Caleidascope
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2011-10-30 20:54:24 UTC
Lithalnas wrote:

lol

Life is short and dinner time is chancy

Eat dessert first!

Lithalnas
Dirt 'n' Glitter
Local Is Primary
#11 - 2011-10-30 20:59:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Lithalnas
Angry Onions wrote:
I would reccomend a HAF 932 case from Cooler Master, it is a great case ( a bit heavy) but for the 9 fans i have on it, its really quiet. (1)
I would suggest an AMD cpu as they are cheaper and many times the only difference between an INTEL and AMD cpu is about 500$ and a minute (often un-imporatant) detail. (2)
graphics cards are something im slightly confused about as now it seems that you can SLI bridge two nvidia grafix cards on a AMD machine??? I need to read up on this, but either ATI or Nvidia should be good. (3)
RAM, should have a minimum of 4GB, 8GB would be best if trying to keep cost down, also make sure it has a high clock rate of around 1800 (or is 1800 slow now?) (4)
HDD... easy as pie, 1TB is all you need, ive had the same one for 5 or so years and still works fine.

I havent built or really looked at compu-guts since last spring, so my knowledge might be a bit dated.

One thing I would be cautious about, ASUS, i love their products, but I've had bad luck with ASUS-AMD setup =\

(1) The HAF series of cases is realy good and the 932 is a really good case but i think that eats his budget a bit much (180$), the 912 is a really great 60$ case.
(2) That was true years ago, but AMD has slipped up the past 2 years and Intel is beating AMD at pricepoints with performance. Right now the AMD Phenom II 980 is going for 170$ and is matched in performance and often beaten by the 10$ more expensive i3-2300. If one is willing to spend not but 40$ more they can have a i5-2500k which beats the pants off all AMD chips including bulldozer FX.
(3) Some AMD boards come with SLI almost all come with crossfire. All 990x boards have SLI licences to them. The older 890/880/870 do not.
(4) DDR3 is officially rated at 1333Mhz. however it is stable and supported by almost all motherboards to 1600Mhz. High end GIGABYTE UD5 and up. Asus P8xxxx Pro and up and the MSI xxxxx-GD65 and up all support 1866 and higher. I think I saw the gigabyte OC x58 push triple channel 3000 Mhz in a demo video once. And no that isnt a typo

Caleidascope wrote:
Lithalnas wrote:

lol

i know its really low but PSU calculator says its only 350W load, I would honestly spring for the 600W but I am trying to keep to the 1000 euro budget as best as possible

https://www.facebook.com/RipSeanVileRatSmith shoot at blue for Vile Rat http://community.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=73406

Caleidascope
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2011-10-30 21:33:11 UTC
Lithalnas wrote:

Caleidascope wrote:
Lithalnas wrote:

lol

i know its really low but PSU calculator says its only 350W load, I would honestly spring for the 600W but I am trying to keep to the 1000 euro budget as best as possible

I am looking at nVidia data and recommendations for GTX 470:
data: Maximum power of GTX 470: 215 Watts
recommendation: System power supply 550 Watts

I really do not see how you can even consider 350 Watts power supply. This power supply should not even be on your "radar".

Eat dessert first!

Lithalnas
Dirt 'n' Glitter
Local Is Primary
#13 - 2011-10-30 22:04:18 UTC
I was looking at the 560 ti which runs at ~170W, the 2500k runs at ~200w, which is 370W

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

says 367W for 2500k + HD + 2 fans + midrange board + 560 ti

Caleidascope
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#14 - 2011-10-30 23:08:19 UTC
Lithalnas wrote:
I was looking at the 560 ti which runs at ~170W, the 2500k runs at ~200w, which is 370W

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

says 367W for 2500k + HD + 2 fans + midrange board + 560 ti

The same source, this time for 560 ti:
data: Maximum power of 560 ti: 170 Watt
recommendation: system power supply 500 Watt

Eat dessert first!

Grimpak
Manufactorum.
#15 - 2011-10-30 23:28:21 UTC
AlleyKat wrote:

???

14 wages a year?

wth does that mean?

wage in some countries is paid monthly.

in greece and my country, portugal, the 14 wages per year means that you get paid once per month (12) + vacation bonus (1) + christmas bonus (1), thus the 14 wages per year.

and before you throw Portugal to the mix, keep in mind that minimum wage here is 485€, and nearly half of the active population gets a wage that is in the 485-700€ range.

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Cherry Nobyl
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#16 - 2011-10-31 00:12:05 UTC
Astenion wrote:
Every single year it's like that around Christmas. They jack up the prices starting in October and by February a new lot of tech gets released for the same price at about one tenth more power. Save your money and buy the same stuff later for half the price.

i'd suggest this as well. try to time it for boxing day type sales. if the bang for your buck is the goal, then give it just a bit more time if you have it.

i'm pricing out a new system as well but also have a power supply and case/coolers that i can reuse. everything else is going to be new, including a potential upgrade to windows 7, and solid state drive. but, not until the retail grinch flees for another year, or retailers get nailed with low sales and drop pricing to jump volume over higher margins.

best of luck.

AlleyKat
The Unwanted.
#17 - 2011-10-31 00:22:12 UTC
Grimpak wrote:

in greece and my country, portugal, the 14 wages per year means that you get paid once per month (12) + vacation bonus (1) + christmas bonus (1), thus the 14 wages per year.

and before you throw Portugal to the mix, keep in mind that minimum wage here is 485€, and nearly half of the active population gets a wage that is in the 485-700€ range.

Was not aware of that...sounds weird that people get a bonus when they take vacation.

So, €485 x 14 = the minimum annual salary? Then you got taxes to take off that?

This space for rent.

Astenion
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#18 - 2011-10-31 01:18:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Astenion
AlleyKat wrote:
Grimpak wrote:

Was not aware of that...sounds weird that people get a bonus when they take vacation.

So, €485 x 14 = the minimum annual salary? Then you got taxes to take off that?

It's not a bonus; it's just paid vacation. Europeans get paid once a month and typically get a 13th paycheck IF they've got a fixed, open-ended contract. If they're freelance or work contracts for only a specific amount of time, this does not apply...you don't get squat. The 14th paycheck is ridiculous and just plain idiotic in a place like Greece. Norway, sure...they've got money coming out of their ears, but Greece has been struggling for a long time. Mediterranean climates make people not give a **** anymore.

No, 485 euros is not the minimum annual salary everywhere, although it varies in different places. It's probably lower in Greece due to it being cheaper to live there, but not that cheap, and no, that's usually after taxes. Portugal and Greece have always struggled in comparison with their surrounding countries. However, people aren't dying of hunger in the streets like they are in the states. You have to see the entire picture to understand it. Someone may make 700 euros per month, but that goes directly to their living expenses since most everything else is taken care of. Most people in these countries live with their families until they're 30 as well; one reason being that they're just too inept to live on their own and are attached to mama too much (usually the males), but the bigger issue is that it's just masochism to move out by yourself knowing you're gonna have 50 bucks to your name at the end of the month. It's not like living with your parents in the states, which is usually hell because they still treat you like a teenager. Here, they come and go as they please and their parents are more than happy to still take care of them by feeding them, taking care of all their laundry, etc., so that 700 euros per month goes DIRECTLY to their pocket...all of it. Again, it's usually the males.

Roommates don't exist here for some reason. In the states, we couldn't wait to get out of the house. Put an ad up somewhere looking for a roommate, find a cheap apartment, and just split the bills...it didn't matter if you knew the person or not. This builds character and responsibility...and to be honest, it makes you a man instead of prolonging your adolescence into your 30's. It seems no one does that anymore even back home in the US, judging by the complete vacuity of the 20-somethings these days, completely content to mooch off their parents for as long as possible.

Living in Europe is a lot like being in the military...at least it seems like that for me (I was in the USAF before moving here). You don't make tons of money unless you're already wealthy but you don't waste it on crap like health insurance, exorbitant college fees, and basic human **** that people shouldn't be making money off of. Yes, the taxes are higher but it tends to even out and even comes out ahead for Europeans when factoring in all the bullshit we have to pay for through the nose in the states. In the end, I may make less per year here but I still have a bit more left over at the end of the month as long as I live within my means.

That said, it's not perfect by any means. The constraints put upon corps by their respective governments in terms of employee entitlements strangles any growth or creation of jobs because they simply can't afford to give everyone 14 paychecks, 35 days per year paid vacation, and guaranteed job contracts. Therefore, they hire fewer people.

There is definitely reason to be upset over the economy here in western Europe, but a lot of it is because most people here have never truly suffered or had to do without. They want everything and don't understand that it has to come from somewhere. They want to be paid like we're paid in the states, but they don't wanna be fired like we can get fired. They want the big house and the new car but they can't seem to fathom NOT having 30 days per year for vacation and guaranteed jobs. While some of it may be legitimate, from what I've noticed, most of it is just whining because they can't have everything they want. Did you know that if you get laid off here they pay you 80% of your wage TO STAY AT HOME? In Italy it's called cassa integrazione. It's cheaper for the companies to pay you to sit on your ass at 80% of your pay than to have you actually come in and work. What's more, THE PEOPLE COMPLAIN ABOUT IT. It's usually for a set amount of time, no more than a year. Yes, that's just how spoiled people are here.

You know what happens when you get laid off in the states? You pack all your **** from work in a cardboard box, go home, and start looking for a job the following day or else you don't eat, all without anyone paying you to sit on your ass while you COMPLAIN about it.

It's no different in the states. People there want the benefits we have here but don't wanna pay the extra 10% taxes to get it because taxes are for communists and thieves Roll, and they'd enslave their children with their own debt as long as they can get new rims for the car and a bigger tv than the one they had last month. Just to show off to their friends, of course...not because they needed it or anything.
Holy One
Privat Party
#19 - 2011-10-31 07:26:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Holy One
I just ordered mine today actually. Here's what I went for in the end:

Intel Core i5 2300 2.8GHz
Four cores instead of the cheaper HT 2100 for future proofing and video editing/transcoding.

MSI H67MA-E35-B3 Socket 1155 8 Channel Audio mATX Motherboard
USB 3.0 and SATA III main selling points. Also the boards are power efficient using just 25w at idle. I have bought luxury boards in the past and almost always end up turning off all the chipset features - as I never use them. So for the price I think this is good value!

Antec TruePower New 550W Modular PSU
I would like to use a smaller PSU if I can, such as the Antec Earthwatts 430, but I am not sure given the GPU's energy requirements if this would be wise.

OCZ 60GB Agility 3 SSD - 2.5" SATA-III
I am a 'small footprint' user and just bought a 1TB F3 mechanical disk for storage of raw video which I will re-use in the new build. This SSD can really speed up the OS and gaming, so for £80 it is a no brainer in a new build I think? I can also spin down the mechanical drive to save power which is nice.

Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz XMS3 Memory Kit CL9 1.5V unbuffered
4GB is adequate for gaming, but I wanted more for working with Adobe and other productivity suites. I also play Eve Online and frequently run multiple clients in parallel so more ram is definitely a big bonus.

Gigabyte GTX 560Ti OC 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini HDMI Out PCI-E Graphics Card

I believe the HD 6950 is slightly better but Adobe can only GPU accelerate in Premiere using CUDA cores. So with that in mind, Nvidia it is. I have always considered these mid-high end cards horrific energy sponges, especially in 2d mode where the large PSU's they require and the TDP just burns through a lot more electricity than it really should. But there is no choice now if you want to play 1080p games at 30+ fps. *sigh

edit: In the end I actually went for an HD6950 as they were on sale £30 cheaper than the GTX and I reasoned the time I spend gaming is more than the time I would lose transcoding/adding effects. The greater efficiency of the Radeons swayed it. That and the 2gb of video memory for using with stuff (tm).

HTH

Everyone is different .. everyone's budget is different. Mine was £550 inc VAT and delivery. I re-used a Samsung F3 TG disk I just bought last month for dumping raw video and a Lian Li case a fellow waffle donated for a plex.

:)

Citizen20100211442
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#20 - 2011-10-31 09:34:34 UTC
Grimpak wrote:
AlleyKat wrote:

???

14 wages a year?

wth does that mean?

I am from Lithuania, and our minimum wage is about 220 euros. Wait a minute.. We have neither vacation or Christmas bonus (you get it or not, it depends on inner companies politics you work in). Also our climate is way colder. Maybe we also need burn cars in the streets, make huge riots for like a week like Greece do, and then give empty hand to EU - "hey we need more bilions , or .. if you don't help us, whole Eurozone be in trouble".

Can't wait until that EUCCCP will collapse, along with their muslims and faggotry , corrupting Europe's nations.

To be, or not to be, that's the question.

12Next page