These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Faction to play, Amarr? Caldari?

Author
Bixol Prosperius
Doomheim
#1 - 2013-03-27 10:54:09 UTC
Hello everyone

after a long stop i came back to play some EVE online

as i want to begin from scratch i want to create a new toon, but i have no idea wich faction to choose...

i like the idea of shooting with lasers, so i would tend to amarr

on the other hand i like the caldari for their missiles, also i like the look of the rokh battleship and woul like to train also the hybrid turrets in combination with the misiles

as i play only occasinally i think i would primarely run missions, and eventually trade a littel bit in case i get bored from missions...

as there have been a lot of changes since i was here the last time i dunno if the hybrid guns got buffed, or lasers nerfed...

anyone has some suggestions what to choose?
Keno Skir
#2 - 2013-03-27 11:02:05 UTC
If you like lasers train Amarr.

Any race will do fine for any activity.
Ovv Topik
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2013-03-27 11:05:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Ovv Topik
It really doesnt matter which you choose as your not tied to that racial doctrine.

But Caldari are traditionally considered better at PVE than Amarr. And drones just got nerfed in missions which I suppose reinforces that.

But none of the 4 are bad. Each has strengths and weaknesses.

Except 'Winmatar' obviously!

"Nicknack, I'm in a shoe in space, on my computer, in my house, with a cup of coffee, in't that something." - Fly Safe PopPaddi. o7

J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#4 - 2013-03-27 11:10:57 UTC
The race you start with doesn't really matter.

An Amarr character can skill into Caldari ships if he wants.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Daniel Plain
Doomheim
#5 - 2013-03-27 13:07:36 UTC
as has been stated already, all races are about equally powerful. just take a look at all the ships until you find one that you really want to fly, then fly it.

I should buy an Ishtar.

Charles Burger
Reckless Abandon
#6 - 2013-03-27 13:25:28 UTC
Why start a new character? Just use the old one, he'll have loads of skill points and you won't need to spend all of your hard earned ISK buying skills. You can still basically "start from scratch" by doing the tutorial agents and missions, but you'll have a leg up with skills and maybe some initial capital.

Alternately, start a 2nd character on the same account, re-learn the mechanics and tutorials, then switch back to your old one.
Bixol Prosperius
Doomheim
#7 - 2013-03-27 14:34:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Bixol Prosperius
as i will mostryl do PVE i think i'll go for caldari with missiles or turrets, still unsure what to choose

thank you for your answers!

a new ton because i like the soddisfaction to earn something and not to have lots of things without doing anything
Not Zokathra
Doomheim
#8 - 2013-03-27 17:53:36 UTC
Bixol Prosperius wrote:

on the other hand i like the caldari for their missiles

There's a line of T2 Amarr ships specializing in missiles: Vengeance, Sacrilege, Damnation...

Senshi Hawk
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#9 - 2013-03-27 21:00:05 UTC
It's not the race itself you should worry about, but the blood line/subrace when you create your character (Gallente --> Jin-Mei --> Sang Do Caste for example). Some blood lines give very beneficial starting skills even if you don't intend on training heavily into that race.
Eliniale
Co-operative Resource Extraction
#10 - 2013-03-27 22:23:46 UTC
Not Zokathra wrote:
Bixol Prosperius wrote:

on the other hand i like the caldari for their missiles

There's a line of T2 Amarr ships specializing in missiles: Vengeance, Sacrilege, Damnation...

I doubt they'll continue to be such once CCP finishes with the revisions.

System ideas: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=191928&find=unread

Not Zokathra
Doomheim
#11 - 2013-03-28 05:18:56 UTC
They try to and I'll bite Fonzie's ears off. Considering they actually added two drone boats to Amarr arsenal with the tiericide, I don't think they're too opposed to different weapon systems in an empire...

Senshi Hawk wrote:
It's not the race itself you should worry about, but the blood line/subrace when you create your character (Gallente --> Jin-Mei --> Sang Do Caste for example). Some blood lines give very beneficial starting skills even if you don't intend on training heavily into that race.

You're too vet for your own good - there's no difference between bloodlines(and schools) anymore. Everyone starts with same stats and same skills, the only difference being racial frigate and turret.