These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Cynoing on a POS and the POS Shield Exploit

First post
Author
Shiana Soltek
BlazingAngels
#1 - 2011-10-28 17:07:10 UTC
A few months ago the Dev team attempted to fix the exploit where a pilot could approach a POS, ignite a cyno, and then drift safely into the POS shields, making them immune to attack, while providing a cyno beacon for capital assets to jump in through. Their fix was to make it to where your ship had to be traveling at 499 m/s or slower in order to lite the cyno. While this is a step in the right direction, players are still able to exploit this game mechanic and lite a cyno on the edge of a POS shield and then coast into the shield and be protected.

My proposed solutions are as follows: 1) When a cyno module is activated on a ship, make it to where that ship is unable to enter the shields of a POS. We know that the POS shield is an object in space that can interact with ships and modules, so simply adding an attribute to the cyno generator that is "POS access while active = false" should resolve this exploit. 2) edit the POS code to where, if a cyno is lit, and a ship does happen to coast inside the shields, the POS code checks to see if the ship has an active cyno running, and if it does, it bounces them out of the shield, same as it would if they were not a member of the corp/alliance that owned said POS. This would prevent ships from lighting a cyno then coasting into the shield. A possible code addition check would be "Is ships cyno active if yes, disallow access, else allow"

As I said, the POS cynoing exploit is one that is still being taken advantage of by players wishing to bring capital assets into system, but do not want to risk having their cyno ship attacked in the process. If anyone else has suggestions on how this Exploit can be fixed so that our enemy cannot lite a cyno, and keep their cyno ship protected by a POS shield, please feel free to post suggestions. This def affects all of us, ESP when we are sieging POS.
Robert Caldera
Caldera Trading and Investment
#2 - 2011-10-28 17:22:48 UTC
petition them, they will be punished
Feligast
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2011-10-28 18:43:10 UTC
Link to a dev saying this was an exploit please.
Shiana Soltek
BlazingAngels
#4 - 2011-10-28 19:00:12 UTC
I do petition every single person i see using this exploit. Thing is, they need to fix this issue so that ppl can't do it anymore, and so we can get more kills, instead of having the cyno ship safe while they Cap Blob us.
Feligast
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#5 - 2011-10-28 19:05:38 UTC
Feligast wrote:
Link to a dev saying this was an exploit please.

Shiana Soltek
BlazingAngels
#6 - 2011-10-29 03:41:19 UTC
I guess i need to remind you as to how CCP defines an exploit. CCP defines an exploit as "Using any bug in EVE Online to gain an unfair advantage over other players."

This being said, taking a ship, having it approach the POS FF, igniting the cyno just before it enters the FF, and then coasting into the FF does give you an unfair advantage over other players. Example, you and your fleet are attacking a POS. Your enemy's forces are too far away to make it to the POS in time to defend it, however they have a pilot in system with you that can ignite a cyno and allow them to Titan bridge in. You see the pilot land near the pos shields, and start making a run for the FF. you get locks on him, and prepare to open fire. Just as you get weapons lock on him, he lights a cyno and your weapons lock breaks. You try to re-engage weapons lock, but are told you are unable to as the ship is inside a POS FF. Now suddenly you are hit with XXX number of enemy ships that just entered system through the cyno that the pilot (safely inside the POS FF) ignited. Had that pilot not been able to gain protection from the POS FF while igniting the cyno, would would have been able to destroy him, and prevent all or most of the enemy's forces from entering system via the Titan bridge.

CCP is aware of this problem, we know this because they nerfed the max speed you can be traveling at when you ignite a cyno. They tried to make the ship stop dead in the water, but that caused other, unforeseen problems.

This thread is a player created topic on just this very issue. http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1382017 There is some controversy on the issue, as well as conflicting responses from CCP Devs and GMs about this very issue. IMO, if ANY Dev or GM responds back and says that doing that is an exploit then it is, regardless of whether or not another one says differently.
Mag's
Azn Empire
#7 - 2011-10-29 08:21:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Mag's
Shiana Soltek wrote:
This thread is a player created topic on just this very issue. http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1382017 There is some controversy on the issue, as well as conflicting responses from CCP Devs and GMs about this very issue. IMO, if ANY Dev or GM responds back and says that doing that is an exploit then it is, regardless of whether or not another one says differently.
Which if you read it correctly, told you this.

Zagdul wrote:
1. Gliding into a POS shield is not an exploit.

I've petitioned it and asked as we used it in my alliance then were told that it was. So, I decided to ask.

The reason it's not an exploit is that the cyno itself still remains on the outside of the shield.

2. The other method of getting a cyno inside a POS forcefield is by waiting for the online timer to tick, lighting the cyno, then setting a passowrd to activate the shield.

I petitioned this also, this was also not deemed an exploit by the GM I spoke to.

Any other method of circumventing the forcefield by lighting a cyno while the forcefiled is active and you are inside it would be an exploit.

Which means you need to petition it and ask to see, if your assertion that it is an exploit, is correct.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Feligast
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2011-10-29 17:01:49 UTC
Shiana Soltek wrote:
I guess i need to remind you as to how CCP defines an exploit. CCP defines an exploit as "Using any bug in EVE Online to gain an unfair advantage over other players."

You've said this multiple times.. but you've not presented a BUG. You've presented something you DON'T LIKE, but not a bug. If it was, when they nerfed max speed to light, they would have stopped this practice altogether, don't you think? Or made a big post saying sliding into shields was an exploit? Or made cynos unable to be lit 5km from the force field?

But they didn't. Which says to me, it's not an exploit. It may not be FAIR in the grand sense of the word, but it's not an exploit.
Smoking Blunts
ZC Omega
Goonswarm Federation
#9 - 2011-10-29 21:05:49 UTC
even before the change a cyno couldnt be lit at speeds faster tha 499m/s. this is not what was changed

the actual change was that the distance you would land from a pos when cyno'ing to one was increased. 5km to 15km iirc.

you should try playing eve before complaning things dont work the same way as in your mind

OMG when can i get a pic here

Shiana Soltek
BlazingAngels
#10 - 2011-10-29 22:58:56 UTC
Before the patch, you could light a cyno at speeds faster than 500m/s. I have, prior to the patch, lit a cyno while traveling at MWD speeds in a frigate (over 3200m/s). Also if this is not an exploit, explain why, when i have petitioned this exact thing, every time, the person i have petitioned it against, immediately disappeared from local (and they did not leave system but went offline) at the same moment i received a reply from a GM about the petition. If this was an exploit, or something that isn't suppose to be done, please explain that to me.

I would consider it mere coincidence if it had only happened once or twice, but for it to happen, EVERY single time, leads one to believe it IS an exploit.
Smoking Blunts
ZC Omega
Goonswarm Federation
#11 - 2011-10-29 23:07:36 UTC
Shiana Soltek wrote:
Before the patch, you could light a cyno at speeds faster than 500m/s. I have, prior to the patch, lit a cyno while traveling at MWD speeds in a frigate (over 3200m/s). Also if this is not an exploit, explain why, when i have petitioned this exact thing, every time, the person i have petitioned it against, immediately disappeared from local (and they did not leave system but went offline) at the same moment i received a reply from a GM about the petition. If this was an exploit, or something that isn't suppose to be done, please explain that to me.

I would consider it mere coincidence if it had only happened once or twice, but for it to happen, EVERY single time, leads one to believe it IS an exploit.

you couldnt light one faster than 500m/s for a very long time. i know that for sure i am after all a cyno alt.

that pilot logs off. the gm wont remove someone just as you send a petition in..lol get over yourself

i do not understand why your bothered about a cyno frig, try killing what its brings into system, after all the change(5km from pos shields to 15km) was ment to allow this.

you are either a troll or an idiot, im not sure which

Smoking Blunts
ZC Omega
Goonswarm Federation
#12 - 2011-10-29 23:54:47 UTC
lol nub gm's best gm's?
escalate it

Shiana Soltek
BlazingAngels
#13 - 2011-10-30 00:01:22 UTC
I must say, you amuse me. I do what you say, provide evidence of a GM stating that such an act is indeed an exploit, and you can't accept it. You can't accept the fact that actions that either you, or former/current Blues do is indeed an exploit. That is fine, I will enjoy filing every petition I file against you and your kind for doing such a thing.

Have fun, look forward to see you on the field of battle, and pray I don't catch you committing this exploit.
CCP Navigator
C C P
C C P Alliance
#14 - 2011-10-30 12:29:48 UTC
GM correspodence removed.
Marcus Gideon
Triglavian Assembly
#15 - 2011-10-30 14:54:57 UTC
Looks like some people are confused, as to what is considered "taking advantage of game mechanics" and what is called "exploits".

When a sizable alliance figured out, that living in a C6 WH and taking advantage of the natural debuffs, they were able to get infinite range on their weapons... CCP congratulated them. They basically said "we were hoping someone would figure out how to make the game work -for- them".

So... the fact that you can move at all when you light up a cyno, says that CCP wanted someone to figure out this drift trick. Otherwise they'd make the cyno immediately and completely root you in place.

"Working at intended"
Laechyd Eldgorn
Avanto
Hole Control
#16 - 2011-10-30 18:43:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Laechyd Eldgorn
i dont give a crap about gliding but when you can light up pos and cyno capital ship (like freighter or titan) inside POS forcefield with 0% risk i see this as an bad game mechanic which should be changed.

it's not like they're facing great risk cynoing at deathstar in empty system either.

im saying this because we use this erry day ourselves.