These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Missions from brand new. Can I plex on no more than 3 hours a night?

Author
Monikis
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#1 - 2013-03-25 12:56:45 UTC
So this question comes up in the newbie chat occasionally, along with many questions regarding what to train and when. Since I'm bored, I figured I would try to answer it. My guess is that the answer to the PLEX question is no for the first month (or two?), but yes after that.

Towards that end, I will be creating a new character and playing it for no more than 3 hours per day (and probably less than that). I will not be giving this character ANYTHING except my in-game knowledge. No cash handouts for starters, no implants, no ships. Nothing. At the end of the experiment, I will sell the character. Training choices and such will be documented in this thread by the character that is made. I will list an API and eveboard link for said character once it is available.

After extensive coin flipping and dice rolling, I will be making said character a Caldari pilot focusing on the gunships and NOT missiles.

Experiment begins. I will be doing the tutorials in one area of space and then moving on to the Sister's of Eve arc.
Schmata Bastanold
In Boobiez We Trust
#2 - 2013-03-25 13:17:05 UTC
Just curious why Caldari without missiles? Care to elaborate on that? Because as we all know tengu IS the answer to all questions :)

As for question about PLEXing showing up very often on newbie chat, well... I think they are missing the point of Eve where the road is the goal. Just the same as for all newbies want to fly stealth due to backstab perk known from "other" games :)

Invalid signature format

Monikis
Caldari State
#3 - 2013-03-25 13:23:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Monikis
Schmata Bastanold wrote:
Just curious why Caldari without missiles? Care to elaborate on that? Because as we all know tengu IS the answer to all questions :)

As for question about PLEXing showing up very often on newbie chat, well... I think they are missing the point of Eve where the road is the goal. Just the same as for all newbies want to fly stealth due to backstab perk known from "other" games :)

Coins were flipped, and dice were rolled. The coins made me do it. I have to admit, I was kind of hoping it wouldn't be Caldari and missiles. I've already done the missiles thing, and I really didn't want to end up in a Drake. Also, this experiment will most likely go for a month, maybe 2, and I don't think a Tengu in that time is really on the cards.

As for PLEX, yes they are missing the point, but I'm curious to see if it can be done. So here we are. You'll be pleased (or indifferent) to know that I'm almost done with Aura's missions.

EDIT: Another part to this is that newbies are always telling me how much ISK they're making as a miner. I'm pretty sure running missions is going to be more money fast. This is a test of that theory.
Pearlescent Blue
Perkone
Caldari State
#4 - 2013-03-25 13:28:27 UTC
So you going Caldari but no missiles. what ship are you going to fly if you dnt take advantage of teh ship bonuses?
Monikis
Caldari State
#5 - 2013-03-25 13:30:19 UTC
Pearlescent Blue wrote:
So you going Caldari but no missiles. what ship are you going to fly if you dnt take advantage of teh ship bonuses?

Merlin -> Cormorant -> Moa -> Ferox -> Rokh

I guess if enough people complain about it, I could change to missiles. We'll see how it goes by tomorrow.
Pearlescent Blue
Perkone
Caldari State
#6 - 2013-03-25 13:32:44 UTC
Monikis wrote:
Pearlescent Blue wrote:

Merlin -> Cormorant -> Moa -> Ferox -> Rokh

I guess if enough people complain about it, I could change to missiles. We'll see how it goes by tomorrow.

not complaining, just wondering! ^^ I always forget that Caldari have other guns available besides missiles! :P
Monikis
Caldari State
#7 - 2013-03-25 14:16:10 UTC
Pearlescent Blue wrote:
not complaining, just wondering! ^^ I always forget that Caldari have other guns available besides missiles! :P

Well for now I'm sticking to guns, but we shall see what people have said (if they even care) when I get up. I'm 1 hour in and its time for sleep!

I have made 500,000 ISK in my first hour, acquired a Merlin and an horrible fit that nonetheless gets the job done.

G'night!
Schmata Bastanold
In Boobiez We Trust
#8 - 2013-03-25 15:56:54 UTC
There is nothing better than just finding excitement and building your own sand castles. So let it be marked that I am interested in your progress and I hope this thread won't die too fast :)

Notifications enabled and I will keep an eye on you :)

Invalid signature format

Derath Ellecon
ATRAX.
Shadow Cartel
#9 - 2013-03-25 16:06:33 UTC
Step 1 Run missions for X hours.
Step 2 Calculate how much isk you made. Figure out how much isk/hr
Step 3. Divide the cost of plex by the answer you found in Step 2.
Step 4. Grind that many hours, buy plex.

There are so many variables that nobody is going to be able to tell you how long you need to grind for a plex.
Daniel Plain
Doomheim
#10 - 2013-03-25 16:21:47 UTC
caldari without missiles is a horrible choice which will skew your results significantly. i would advise you to switch into one of the more favorable paths, but not necessarily caldari/missiles. (last time i checked, myrmidon and the space potato were pretty good mission ships.)

I should buy an Ishtar.

Kodama Ikari
Thragon
#11 - 2013-03-25 17:15:32 UTC
I always discourage newbies from trying to earn their plex, if only for the first few months.
RavenPaine
RaVeN Alliance
#12 - 2013-03-26 01:19:58 UTC
31 days times 16 million a day = 496 million a month. Just a few million shy of a plex.

Break even cost is about 5.5 million an hour at 3 hrs a day.

Along the way you will need ISK for:
Replacement ships
Skills
Implants
Ammo
Drones
Fittings
Rigs
Ship insurance
Clone insurance
Shipping up, for higher level missions

You will 'under achieve' until you get to level 3 missions. Then, I don't rightly know if you can earn 5.5 per/hr on level 3's.
Level 4's, you will be successful, BUT, Rokh is not the most efficient ship for 4's. Tanks good, kills slower.

Since it is just an experiment, maybe it's no big deal, but if ISK per hour is the real goal, load them dice and roll again Cool
CMD Ishikawa
New Eden Public Security Section 9
#13 - 2013-03-26 01:23:53 UTC
Nice idea. I'll be keeping an eye to see your progress, you will find many of us care about this kind of stuff.

Are you planning join a corp? Will you be playing lone mission runner style?
Cage Man
Fusion Enterprises Ltd
Pandemic Horde
#14 - 2013-03-26 02:58:15 UTC
Rokh is one of the most frustrating ships to try and mission in, i tried it.. but will keep an eye on this thread to see how it goes. And yes, it is possible to plex on 3hrs per day lvl4 grinding. There are also other ways to supplement.. ie PI. You have 3 toons on 1 account.. use them
Monique Aubaris
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2013-03-26 02:59:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Monique Aubaris
Sounds like fun!
Rick Halcyon
Caldari State
#16 - 2013-03-26 03:06:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Rick Halcyon
CMD Ishikawa wrote:
Nice idea. I'll be keeping an eye to see your progress, you will find many of us care about this kind of stuff.

Are you planning join a corp? Will you be playing lone mission runner style?

I will be running missions alone. I have nothing against joining a corp, but there is no real reason to do so. I've been playing since 2007, so I certainly don't need help with game mechanics or fits.

Daniel Plain wrote:
caldari without missiles is a horrible choice which will skew your results significantly.

Almost everyone who has said anything about this has commented that Caldari without missiles is silly. I disagree, but I do agree that most newbies would pick missiles for Caldari, mostly because people in the newbie channel seem to have it stuck in their heads that Caldari=Missiles. To that end, I will be training missile skills and not guns.

I will post an API shortly for anyone who wishes to plug me into EVEmon. Until then, these are the skills I has trained:

Shield Operation I
Shield Management I
Shield Management II
Propulsion Jamming I
Shield Operation II
Shield Operation III
Caldari Frigate III

And I am now training missile skills and continuing with Cash Flow for Capsuleers.

API: 1964971
Verification: XdRpFdIZ5ZKXW8GWi6QNmyzhap7U4eke4ACCCSDQsPAOBPUT4n7vRV7lESn2RHLy
Daniel Plain
Doomheim
#17 - 2013-03-26 08:13:36 UTC
caldari being bad at missioning without missiles is not a matter of opinion. i'm not sure about the new ferox but the rokh has horrible dps period.

I should buy an Ishtar.

Tauranon
Weeesearch
CAStabouts
#18 - 2013-03-26 09:22:00 UTC
I tried this same experiment with an alt, except it went

do mission till incursus and skill books are handed out,
go to serpentis ded1 (they were still static at the time), run them in a loop for a few hours near dt without too much competition.
get a bit of a loot streak going, get c-types to sell so I can buy a navy comet.
do a few more ded1s and then the gatekeeper drops a serpentis tracking computer.Roll

After that I lost interest :p
Markku Laaksonen
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#19 - 2013-03-26 20:06:32 UTC
It's an interesting experiment and all, and I wish you luck as you document your efforts, that you can stick with it and such. But I think this ignores the more (MOST) important question when considering PLEXing an account is you time well spent? What I mean is...

Should you spend 100 hours making ISK to buy a PLEX and save the 15 USD a monthly sub would cost, or

Should you spend an hour working at your job (adjust hours to reflect your wage) to sub for a month and enjoy those 100 hours of game time not worrying about paying the PLEX bill?

For what it's worth, I opted for the yearly sub.

DUST 514 Recruit Code - https://dust514.com/recruit/zluCyb/

EVE Buddy Invite - https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=047203f1-4124-42a1-b36f-39ca8ae5d6e2&action=buddy

Charlie Jacobson
#20 - 2013-03-27 03:46:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Charlie Jacobson
Markku Laaksonen wrote:
It's an interesting experiment and all, and I wish you luck as you document your efforts, that you can stick with it and such. But I think this ignores the more (MOST) important question when considering PLEXing an account is you time well spent? What I mean is...

Should you spend 100 hours making ISK to buy a PLEX and save the 15 USD a monthly sub would cost, or

Should you spend an hour working at your job (adjust hours to reflect your wage) to sub for a month and enjoy those 100 hours of game time not worrying about paying the PLEX bill?

For what it's worth, I opted for the yearly sub.

Good advice. I earned enough isk for a PLEX each month by mining and missioning for a while, but it was incredibly tedious, and not a lot of fun. Now I sub for a year at a time and spend my isk on collecting and fitting new ships instead.

I think paying for PLEX with isk is only a good option for those few who make billions with minimal effort somehow.
12Next page