These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Proposal: Freighter changes

Author
Coyote Laughing
#1 - 2013-03-25 20:52:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Coyote Laughing
SUMMARY:

1. Merge freighter skills back into one skill called "Freighters" (keeping separate jump freighter skill).

2. Give skill voucher to those (hopefully) few people who have ranks in separate freighter skills.

3. Create an ORE freighter that carries well, ore - in an unpressurized ORE hold (similar to barge/venture)

REASONING:

Big box with engines, is fairly similar to "other big box with engines" - you are already going to be familiar with the controls from the industrial skill and know the languages.

Given that the freighters have no fitting and rig slots, the performance data is going to be fairly well understood when collating the data used in designing the skill books.

With recent changes to the game, the ORE industrial skill has become more relevant - giving that mining frigate essentially means there is a relevant "racial frigate" that can be put in the skill chain.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Description: the needs of the ORE corportation for bulk unpressurized storage has grown, requiring a cheap and simple freighter with the capacity to defend itself while taking on cargo in the asteroid belts.
Freighter Skill Bonus: 5% bonus to cargo hold capacity and 5% bonus to maximum velocity per level
Attributes
Structure Hitpoints: 100,000 HP
Capacity: 0 m3
Drone Capacity: 50 m3
Drone Bandwidth: 50 Mbit/sec
Mass: 500,000,000 kg
Ore hold capacity: 500,000 m3
Inertial Modifier: x0.1
Volume: 5,000,000m3 (500,000.0 m3 Packaged)
EM dmg resistance: 0%
Explosive dmg resistance: 0%
Kinetic dmg resistance: 0%
Thermal dmg resistance: 0%
Armor
Armor Hit Points 10,000 HP
Armor Em Damage Resistance: 50%
Armor Explosive Damage Resistance: 20%
Armor Kinetic Damage Resistance: 30%
Armor Thermal Damage Resistance: 40%
Shield
Shield Capacity: 10,000 HP
Shield recharge time: 1000 s
EM dmg resistance: 20%
Explosive dmg resistance: 50%
Kinetic dmg resistance: 40%
Thermal dmg resistance: 30%
Capacitor
Capacitor Capacity: 4800 GJ
Recharge Time: 240s
Targeting
Maximum Targeting Range: 100.00 km
Max Locked Targets: 10
Scan Resolution: 50mm
Magnetometric Sensor Strength: 75 points
Signature Radius: 2500m
Propulsion
Max Velocity: 100m/s
Ship Warp Speed: 1 AU/s
Fitting
CPU 0/1
Power Grid 0/1
Calibration 0/0
Prerequisites
ORE Industrial level 5

l8r \o/

Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2013-03-25 21:05:44 UTC
You want the Orca, if is ORE's twist on a freighter.

If you don't follow the rules, neither will I.

Coyote Laughing
#3 - 2013-03-25 21:07:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Coyote Laughing
Uh, I probably copied too many lines and should of made it a little more unique.

My original concept was for an "entry level freighter" - just to make it more clear, not a cut down command ship.

l8r \o/

Xindi Kraid
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#4 - 2013-03-25 22:29:45 UTC
First of all, CCP is trying to separate ships into faction skills and you propose they do the opposite here?
Second, why do we need an ore freighter? if you are in the boonies you use a rorqual to compress the ore, if you are in HS you refine the ore and haul minerals. If it is hauling from the belts, an industrial would be more appropriate.

I do admit I agree it would be nice to have a dedicated Ore hauler for picking up from the belts during mining ops rather than asking the highly trained guy in a command ship to do that. We do already have an ORE industrial skill.
Tonto Auri
Vhero' Multipurpose Corp
#5 - 2013-03-25 22:50:42 UTC
I find Orca ore bay limiting, TBH... A pair of Hulks can ramp the ore uphill with spectacular speed.

Two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity. -- Harlan Ellison

Luc Chastot
#6 - 2013-03-26 02:42:37 UTC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_truck_manufacturers

Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Coyote Laughing
#7 - 2013-03-28 02:10:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Coyote Laughing
I'm not saying that you can't take my baby (ahem, idea) to shove in butchers' block and start chopping - I tried to at least put up a starting point.

Freighters are already split down at industrial prerequisites - they don't represent a variety of ship classes as diverse as cruisers - they are a single ship class and don't contribute signficant enough differences to warrant being split that way.

Now that the cargo on Orcas has been nerfed, there is a greater than ever need for a mineral freighter that is cheap and entry level for somebody who needs to build something bigger than a couple of frigates or a cruiser.

It is logical for ORE to build an expendible or toughened freighter to haul minerals into more populated regions, they certainly don't have markets out in deep space for anything more than a few luxuries to keep their miners happy.

l8r \o/

Goldensaver
Maraque Enterprises
Just let it happen
#8 - 2013-03-28 06:40:41 UTC
So it's basically a Freighter Lite with drones and it goes a little faster than Freighters. A little more size than a Jump Freighter, but much lower cost. Personally I don't see the issue here. It bridges the gap between Orca and Freighter and is a lot cheaper than the only other alternative, the Jump Freighter.

And it doesn't have all the utility of the Orca, so it's basically for miners a giant can to store stuff in. Doesn't even have a corp hangar, or the sort.

As for the skill, I can agree there. A freighter's a freighter is a freighter. They all move really slowly, take forever to align, warp really slowly, and load a large amount in the cargo hold. They all structure tank. The only difference between them all is how quickly they align and how much they carry. They can even leave the racial industrial prerequisite if they want. No big deal. At least the industrials have diversity to warrant their racial skill requirements.
DJ P0N-3
Table Flippendeavors
#9 - 2013-03-28 14:35:01 UTC
I'm all for an ORE mini-freighter and a general line of ORE haulers (all with moving parts, of course) but I don't see the need to condense the skills into one. I'd rather see smaller, specialized freighters for each race added to make the separate skills worthwhile.
stoicfaux
#10 - 2013-03-28 15:04:41 UTC
Freighter with drones? Posting in the ultimate AFK mining stealth thread. Big smile

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Coyote Laughing
#11 - 2013-04-26 03:43:33 UTC
Stealth AFK miner thread?

Do you know how long it would take to fill a freighter with mining drones?

It's just asking to be eaten by rats - I'd certainly be running around trying to bump it.

l8r \o/