These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Simple Solution for fixing/removing/altering offgrid boosting

Author
Sandslinger
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#41 - 2013-03-25 11:37:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Sandslinger
Imigo Montoya wrote:

The main issue I have with this proposal is that it goes against the principles of emergence. To quote Adams and Dormans in their book Game Mechanics: Advanced Game Design: “We use the term emergence because the game’s challenges and its flow of events are not planned in advance but emerge during play.”

This proposal seeks to plan the way the game should be played in advance, rather than creating basic tools and allow emergence to do its thing. Designing for emergence can be really hard because sometimes the effects are not desired, particularly in such a complex system that is EVE Online. However, if you want a pre-planned gameplay experience, there are plenty of those out there that are not EVE.

Seriously... What are you on about...

In any game the game developers sets the rules if the rules don't create "good gameplay" then they change the basic rules to encourage that... That is how any game including EvE has always worked. It's only a sandbox insofar as CCP gives us the tools to play with. If a shovel turns out to be ineffective or overpowered they change it simple as that.

You talk as if we somehow create all the rules ourselves and it's all a sandbox with no framework. Sorry to burst your little quoting bubble but no, that is not, was not and will never be how EvE or 99% of games work. (can maybe make a exception for minecraft although even that is debatable)

Seriously read over everything you have written again because I struggle to fathom how you can take any of it seriously for even a second. I'm partially expecting a 180% turn with you outing yourself as a troll somewhere along the line Lol

On another note your comment about the command modules working like painters causing gate aggression was valid, albeit the first proper argument you made in this thread I have to concede your correct in this. I overlooked that effect of it.
It could easily be taken away from the idea it was just a addendum idea to try and solve the ease off offgrid boosting. The core of the idea makes offgrid boosting in itself so difficult it is debatable wether it is truly worth it.

The issue as is, is that flying command ships is extremely booring. CCP will remove offgrid boosting one way or the other. The race is on to try and steer the change in such a way that flying boosting ships actually becomes fun.

At the moment, Armor cmd ships can at least utilize mids for ewar, while shield cmd are just floating bricks with crap for dps. They have got to be one of the most uninteresting classes/role to fly out of every class there is.

As to the dude that said boosting blobs even more. Stop being silly and think for a moment. forcing a gang that wants offgid bonuses to utilize 3/6/9/12 chars extra in the safespot to get those bonuses working in complete safety doesn't boost blobbing.

blobbing is defined as one side having a numerically superior force to the other. One side having 8 characters sitting in a safespot just to get 6 bonuses, does not magically enlarge their onfield gang.
monkfish2345
Comply Or Die
Pandemic Horde
#42 - 2013-03-25 12:06:31 UTC
Sandslinger wrote:

The issue as is, is that flying command ships is extremely booring. CCP will remove offgrid boosting one way or the other. The race is on to try and steer the change in such a way that flying boosting ships actually becomes fun.

Keep in mind with the brief overview they gave of the planned T3 and command ship changes, both variations of command ship will have both a boosting and combat role.

also with the thought of aggression , i'm inclined a module like you have suggested would not have any significant impact on aggression, if you look at remote reps as an example a logi pilot can freely jump gates whilst repping ships.

I am still concerned that by limiting the amount of boosts to the amount of targets available would have an adverse effect on the smaller end of groups, because you would have situations where you would simply not be allowed boosts because there were too few people in group which i wouldn't consider 'fair' or balanced, w/e you want to call it because you would limiting even small fleet combat to a set size if they wanted boosts.

Sandslinger
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#43 - 2013-03-25 13:27:07 UTC
monkfish2345 wrote:
Sandslinger wrote:

Keep in mind with the brief overview they gave of the planned T3 and command ship changes, both variations of command ship will have both a boosting and combat role.

also with the thought of aggression , i'm inclined a module like you have suggested would not have any significant impact on aggression, if you look at remote reps as an example a logi pilot can freely jump gates whilst repping ships.

I am still concerned that by limiting the amount of boosts to the amount of targets available would have an adverse effect on the smaller end of groups, because you would have situations where you would simply not be allowed boosts because there were too few people in group which i wouldn't consider 'fair' or balanced, w/e you want to call it because you would limiting even small fleet combat to a set size if they wanted boosts.

Perhaps I should have been clearer

The idea works in such a way that you can target enemies/neutrals alongside friendlies to actually activate the boost. Once the booster is active on a target there needs to be a graphical representation showing that the target is an activator.

I'd go so far as to say that in empire you should be able to target neutrals to activate it.

This means that with 2 small gangs fighting each-other there is a lot of tactics opened up for denying the enemy a valid target for boost. If you damp and web their booster and your booster ensures that he fills the slot of the hostiles boosters lock range then that is a form of bonus denial.

In turn they can jam your booster and their booster can then do the same to them. Does that make it clearer ?

It's in small gangs where this method really brings out tactical choices and makes e-war and applied webs/scrams a nice method to deny boosters.

But yeah if your a sniping gang then you don't get 3 boosts if your less than 3 in the gang. But in all seriousness should a 3 man gang get the bonuses off potentially 3 alts sitting in a safespot.

Or should a solo frigate dude that lures people into 1vs1 really have the opportunity to have 4 OOC alt's sitting making his frig nigh unkillable by whatever fool actually takes that 1vs1.

The fact that that possibility even exists is something that to me kills small/solo pvp and does nothing to enhance it.

I'm aware of the changes CCP are making the crux of the matter is that cmd boost ships will always be subpar as combat ships by definition they have to be otherwise you have OP ships with way too many utility highs.

Much better that they are made fun/interesting to fly by some other mechanic.

I have 3 chars skilled to leadership and 30 million SP between them in leadership. I can fly every single T3 and Cmd ship there is with max support skills and the truth is 100% of the time I either have one char sitting in a SS or I dual box with one dude in the command ship set to orbit, cuz frankly it won't ever be primary with the other stuff that we field.

Sometimes upon a rare occasion when we run sniper/long distance tackle gangs I fly sniper claymores. that have pitiful dps where basically my role is to align and not get myself killed/ or safe up somewhere.

They are boring ships with boring roles giving command bonuses should be a tactical choice not just a iwin F1-F8 fire and forget. If not by this idea then by something else at least.

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#44 - 2013-03-25 15:59:44 UTC
Sandslinger wrote:
As to the dude that said boosting blobs even more. Stop being silly and think for a moment. forcing a gang that wants offgid bonuses to utilize 3/6/9/12 chars extra in the safespot to get those bonuses working in complete safety doesn't boost blobbing.

blobbing is defined as one side having a numerically superior force to the other. One side having 8 characters sitting in a safespot just to get 6 bonuses, does not magically enlarge their onfield gang.

Winning with blobbing might be defined as having superior numbers, but the real definition is simply everything being present on grid and acting more or less as an organized fighting mob.
It distinctly implies using this structure to travel and fight with.

It has context in that it is not using any groups off grid for it's conflict.

Consider Blob vs Guerrilla tactics, which are often considered needed to ensure instability in null.

Blobbing uses the base logic of quantity over all, as expressed by superior numbers.
Boosted ships used with non blob guerrilla tactics focus on quality over quantity, and often concede the need to retreat often in order to survive.
Anything on grid with a blob will simply be rated by priority based on effective reduction of enemy fighting ability.

So, If On Grid Booster equals the booster destroyed first, and booster destroyed first equals quality advantage lost...
Then...
On Grid Booster equals restored numerical quantity advantage to blob.
monkfish2345
Comply Or Die
Pandemic Horde
#45 - 2013-03-25 16:15:07 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Sandslinger wrote:

Winning with blobbing might be defined as having superior numbers, but the real definition is simply everything being present on grid and acting more or less as an organized fighting mob.
It distinctly implies using this structure to travel and fight with.

It has context in that it is not using any groups off grid for it's conflict.

Consider Blob vs Guerrilla tactics, which are often considered needed to ensure instability in null.

Blobbing uses the base logic of quantity over all, as expressed by superior numbers.
Boosted ships used with non blob guerrilla tactics focus on quality over quantity, and often concede the need to retreat often in order to survive.
Anything on grid with a blob will simply be rated by priority based on effective reduction of enemy fighting ability.

So, If On Grid Booster equals the booster destroyed first, and booster destroyed first equals quality advantage lost...
Then...
On Grid Booster equals restored numerical quantity advantage to blob.

the problem is that your assuming the blob does not have boosts. almost all fleets have some description of boost these days. having them off grid usually means they provide no advantage to one side or the other.

people seem to have some issue with that idea that if you booster is on grid then you have obviously need to make provisions to keep it alive. as opposed to just being sat in a safe. as I've said previously command ships are capable of a tank which means they are not the immediate choice as a primary. but at least you have a choice to combat it.

as far as for gorilla tactics it will require your boosting ship is also set up to be capable of flying with the fleet. and if your telling me a claymore can't kite then well..... i have no words.

the reason i suggested that there should also be a way to disrupt an boosting ship is so that even in a blob these advantages can come and go during a fight just like you see the effect a jam cycle can have on a logi setup.
Sandslinger
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#46 - 2013-03-25 16:29:09 UTC
monkfish2345 wrote:

as far as for gorilla tactics it will require your boosting ship is also set up to be capable of flying with the fleet. and if your telling me a claymore can't kite then well..... i have no words.

the reason i suggested that there should also be a way to disrupt an boosting ship is so that even in a blob these advantages can come and go during a fight just like you see the effect a jam cycle can have on a logi setup.

This....

We use kiting claymores all the time. The bonus ships can outperform/match either speed or tank every gangtype it runs with it's how they are made, they were by CCP's own words created to be on the field of battle not sitting in SS somewhere.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#47 - 2013-03-25 16:34:44 UTC
monkfish2345 wrote:
the problem is that your assuming the blob does not have boosts. almost all fleets have some description of boost these days. having them off grid usually means they provide no advantage to one side or the other.

To the contrary, I am making no assumptions regarding presence of boosting for the blob.
I am pointing out that with numerical superiority, the conflict will always be won by them if they can hit all the targets they have an interest in.

The advantage to superior numbers is obvious. The disadvantage tends to be the flip side of this, and needs to not be removed.
A blob is easier to locate, scan down, and harass since they have more ships to be scanned.
As they are travelling in a group, they often keep their boosting ships present with them, which is also a disadvantage in some ways.

Small groups going to the effort of coordinating and acting in separate groups deserve consideration.

Planning has value. Brute force is not the only tactic we should encourage.

monkfish2345 wrote:
people seem to have some issue with that idea that if you booster is on grid then you have obviously need to make provisions to keep it alive. as opposed to just being sat in a safe. as I've said previously command ships are capable of a tank which means they are not the immediate choice as a primary. but at least you have a choice to combat it.

Telling the small groups they must use brute tactics over speed and stealth.
What exactly is wrong with the sneaky ships? The guy flying the capital might be easy to scan down, but he needs more to counter him.
The guy flying the paper tanked off grid ship might be harder to find, but he kinda needs that defense too.

monkfish2345 wrote:

Blobs will always have their place.

It just can't be the only option in a balanced game.
Sandslinger
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#48 - 2013-03-25 16:42:52 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
monkfish2345 wrote:

To the contrary, I am making no assumptions regarding presence of boosting for the blob.
I am pointing out that with numerical superiority, the conflict will always be won by them if they can hit all the targets they have an interest in.

The advantage to superior numbers is obvious. The disadvantage tends to be the flip side of this, and needs to not be removed.
A blob is easier to locate, scan down, and harass since they have more ships to be scanned.
As they are travelling in a group, they often keep their boosting ships present with them, which is also a disadvantage in some ways.

Small groups going to the effort of coordinating and acting in separate groups deserve consideration.

monkfish2345 wrote:

What exactly is wrong with the sneaky ships? The guy flying the capital might be easy to scan down, but he needs more to counter him.
The guy flying the paper tanked off grid ship might be harder to find, but he kinda needs that defense too.

monkfish2345 wrote:

Sorry but you have kind of gone off the deep end.

Having booster ships needing to be ongrid doesn't magically render them useless or guerilla tactics useless. It means that small gangs actually have to adapt and fly those ships on primary chars.

The only situation where they are useless is where the enemy is alphaing your gang in which case it doesn't matter if they are on or off grid.
monkfish2345
Comply Or Die
Pandemic Horde
#49 - 2013-03-25 16:45:08 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
monkfish2345 wrote:

monkfish2345 wrote:

monkfish2345 wrote:

it is far from the only option nor is it the only deciding factor.

but by far the most effective method of combating a blob is by whatever method causing them to separate and no longer be a singular blob. boosting doesn't really have any impact on this situation. especially right now because both sides will almost always have an off grid booster. so even if you can break up the blob there is no advantage to it other than numbers.

whereas if you can break them up in a situation where they need to be on grid to receive boosts, then those separated are weakened compared to the organised gorilla group.

just to start you off, using bubbles, bombs, gate aggression, mechanics, warping around, kiting (to a lesser extent) are all ways that ships can easily get separated from a blob and become vulnerable to a hit and run attack.

right now only by getting ships into another system would allow the gorilla team to have a quality advantage to be provided by boosts.
Imigo Montoya
BreadFleet
Triglavian Outlaws and Sobornost Troika
#50 - 2013-03-25 18:25:37 UTC
Sandslinger wrote:
Imigo Montoya wrote:

The main issue I have with this proposal is that it goes against the principles of emergence. To quote Adams and Dormans in their book Game Mechanics: Advanced Game Design: “We use the term emergence because the game’s challenges and its flow of events are not planned in advance but emerge during play.”

This proposal seeks to plan the way the game should be played in advance, rather than creating basic tools and allow emergence to do its thing. Designing for emergence can be really hard because sometimes the effects are not desired, particularly in such a complex system that is EVE Online. However, if you want a pre-planned gameplay experience, there are plenty of those out there that are not EVE.

In any game the game developers sets the rules if the rules don't create "good gameplay" then they change the basic rules to encourage that... That is how any game including EvE has always worked. It's only a sandbox insofar as CCP gives us the tools to play with. If a shovel turns out to be ineffective or overpowered they change it simple as that.

You talk as if we somehow create all the rules ourselves and it's all a sandbox with no framework. Sorry to burst your little quoting bubble but no, that is not, was not and will never be how EvE or 99% of games work. (can maybe make a exception for minecraft although even that is debatable)

That's just it, 99% of games don't even try with emergence and just go with predefined progression.

But yeah, I suppose you're right and the leading authors on the topic of game design are wrong. One of whom is a founding member of the International Game Developers Association, with decades of game design experience, who currently works as a game design consultant and travels the world teaching the subject at universities all over the globe. They've got no idea about game design, or how games work, because you know better.

Seriously, look up the terms "emergent" and "sandbox" as it applies to game design, then you might get what I'm on about. Here's a good place to start on the subject with an EVE context.

Yes, the game developers set the rules, but in the case of EVE they are very careful to create basic rules that allow gameplay, rather than creating complex rules that enforce specific gameplay. It's one of the things that makes EVE so different.

Your proposal seeks to cover every little angle to ensure that a particular tool is used in one particular way, rather than letting players get creative. Sure, sometimes those tools can be problematic and may need to be changed (no need for examples really), but CCP have been pretty careful to maintain the emergent sandbox when doing this. I hope they continue to be.
Sandslinger
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#51 - 2013-03-25 18:52:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Sandslinger
Imigo Montoya wrote:
Sandslinger wrote:
Imigo Montoya wrote:

That's just it, 99% of games don't even try with emergence and just go with predefined progression.

But yeah, I suppose you're right and the leading authors on the topic of game design are wrong. One of whom is a founding member of the International Game Developers Association, with decades of game design experience, who currently works as a game design consultant and travels the world teaching the subject at universities all over the globe. They've got no idea about game design, or how games work, because you know better.

Seriously, look up the terms "emergent" and "sandbox" as it applies to game design, then you might get what I'm on about. Here's a good place to start on the subject with an EVE context.

Yes, the game developers set the rules, but in the case of EVE they are very careful to create basic rules that allow gameplay, rather than creating complex rules that enforce specific gameplay. It's one of the things that makes EVE so different.

Your proposal seeks to cover every little angle to ensure that a particular tool is used in one particular way, rather than letting players get creative. Sure, sometimes those tools can be problematic and may need to be changed (no need for examples really), but CCP have been pretty careful to maintain the emergent sandbox when doing this. I hope they continue to be.

Seriously......You need to step off your high horse for a second and touch back with reality.

CCP makes game mechanics without realising the effects of them and then change them all the time.

Hence we have had battleships that flew faster then interceptors, hac's that flew faster than interceptors. People who avoided concord by blackopsing out. Titans that killed 300 man fleets with the press of a button becoming common place. People that nanofitted battleships flew them 200kms while launching enough torps to sink capitals before they all hit. Titans becoming common place. the list goes on and on and on

Each time CCP realises the game mechanics aren't conducive to 'good' gameplay they change the rules.
The sandbox is where the players take the new rules and then use them in new and interesting ways that CCP never thought off. Adapt or die.
this is the sandbox........

CCP has already stated on numerous occasions that they do not like offgrid boosting and want to change it so please get your hand out of your rectum and address what you think is wrong with the idea on the merits of the idea itself rather then quoting or referencing completely non relevant text ( It makes you come across as devoid of your own intelligence so you have to borrow others) or even better come up with a better alternative for how CCP can make the change without just forcing command pilots to fly boring bricks.

The more interesting the rules the more interesting the game play. Putting ship on a alt account in safespot or pos and pressing F1-F7 becoming a must for every serious gang is NOT interesting gameplay. It's a sandbox full of cat faeces.
Imigo Montoya
BreadFleet
#52 - 2013-03-25 19:18:42 UTC
Sandslinger wrote:
-snip-

Yes, as I said, designing for emergence is hard to get right especially in a complex system.

I wasn't just quoting other people, that article I linked I wrote myself, and it outlines a lot of what I'm trying to get across to you.

Interesting that you're bashing on quoting other people, given that is is this thing that people do to lend credibility to their statements. Here's a thought, just because you don't understand what somebody is on about doesn't make them a troll.

Quote:
The sandbox is where the players take the new rules and then use them in new and interesting ways that CCP never thought off.

The problem that I have with your proposal, as I said, is that it seems to be designed to restrict any creativity in how it is used, for the reasons I mentioned.
Sandslinger
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#53 - 2013-03-25 19:29:18 UTC
Imigo Montoya wrote:
Sandslinger wrote:
-snip-

Yes, as I said, designing for emergence is hard to get right especially in a complex system.

I wasn't just quoting other people, that article I linked I wrote myself, and it outlines a lot of what I'm trying to get across to you.

Interesting that you're bashing on quoting other people, given that is is this thing that people do to lend credibility to their statements. Here's a thought, just because you don't understand what somebody is on about doesn't make them a troll.

Quote:
The sandbox is where the players take the new rules and then use them in new and interesting ways that CCP never thought off.

The problem that I have with your proposal, as I said, is that it seems to be designed to restrict any creativity in how it is used, for the reasons I mentioned.

You didn't mention any proper reasons is my problem. to be honest I didn't bother reading your argument because the actual argument you put in the post was so vague that it boiled down to nothing. I'm bashing on not making a concise argument while quoting very general statements wildly.

From where I am standing your argument boils down to the following.

Everyone sticking boosts on alt accounts in a safespot is better gameplay and sandbox then being forced to apply them tactically on the field in combat situations with actual parameters they have to take into account for how they are going to get boosts.

Which if it is what you believe is fine. However you failed to read the actual OP itself which pretty clearly stated that CCP is making the change so don't argue the fact that the change is happening just the merits of the idea itself.

Imigo Montoya
BreadFleet
#54 - 2013-03-25 19:34:42 UTC
Sandslinger wrote:
[quote=Imigo Montoya]
You didn't mention any proper reasons is my problem. to be honest I didn't bother reading your argument because the actual argument you put in the post was so vague that it boiled down to nothing. I'm bashing on not making a concise argument while quoting very general statements wildly.

Everyone sticking boosts on alt accounts in a safespot is better gameplay and sandbox then being forced to apply them tactically on the field in combat situations with actual parameters they have to take into account for how they are going to get boosts.

Which if it is what you believe is fine. However you failed to read the actual OP itself which pretty clearly stated that CCP is making the change so don't argue the fact that the change is happening just the merits of the idea itself.

That's not quite it. I've got to run so can't go into details right now, but a summary that might address any misunderstanding is this: I'm not against changing game mechanics, I'm against making changes blindly (not defining the problem) without understanding the consequences (the effect those changes have on emergence) of those changes.
Vanessa Serenity
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#55 - 2013-03-25 21:04:04 UTC
Imigo Montoya wrote:
Sandslinger wrote:
[quote=Imigo Montoya]

That's not quite it. I've got to run so can't go into details right now, but a summary that might address any misunderstanding is this: I'm not against changing game mechanics, I'm against making changes blindly (not defining the problem) without understanding the consequences (the effect those changes have on emergence) of those changes.

The problem as I see it is booster alts being invulnerable inside pos shields making their fleets overpowered while boosting better in their ships fitted with max amount of links and by doing so ruining gameplay for main toons who want to play booster on grid in combat and actually play the game.

I have trained leadership on my main. I dont like alts. I dont like boxed toons to fill the boring roles. That is usually what gets you killed. Alts not keeping reps going or alts being left several gates back.

I love my Damnation. Over the last year I have used it countless times. Three times while not being in a pos. Two of those I have gotten to be on grid and NONE of the times I have been fired upon. My paintjob is still completely flawless on a two year old commandship.

And what do we lose by getting this change? People has to actively partake in playing the game. They have to find ways to make their booster survive. They have to use the sandbox to find the right modules to fit or find the best spot to try and hide for as long as possible.

I see nothing bad in making people play the game. I want to play the game.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#56 - 2013-03-25 21:38:19 UTC
Vanessa Serenity wrote:
The problem as I see it is booster alts being invulnerable inside pos shields making their fleets overpowered while boosting better in their ships fitted with max amount of links and by doing so ruining gameplay for main toons who want to play booster on grid in combat and actually play the game.

I have trained leadership on my main. I dont like alts. I dont like boxed toons to fill the boring roles. That is usually what gets you killed. Alts not keeping reps going or alts being left several gates back.

I love my Damnation. Over the last year I have used it countless times. Three times while not being in a pos. Two of those I have gotten to be on grid and NONE of the times I have been fired upon. My paintjob is still completely flawless on a two year old commandship.

And what do we lose by getting this change? People has to actively partake in playing the game. They have to find ways to make their booster survive. They have to use the sandbox to find the right modules to fit or find the best spot to try and hide for as long as possible.

I salute your interest in playing the game. I detest mechanics that dumb down our interaction.

I am seeing two points from what you said.

Not being behind POS shields is the most important detail I see in all of this, especially for combat oriented roles.
(Boosting for mining is a separate balance issue entirely)
If a pilot takes his booster and hides somewhere, he also loses any chance to contribute any direct DPS.
For ships not fitted for front line duty, this is significant.

Regarding your experience with your Damnation: They had odd priorities not to shoot you, unless you were boosting such a small group your boosting was not considered the biggest threat to your opponents somehow.
Considering your evaluation comment that they never scratched the paint, I take it you never lost a fight while flying that ship.
In which case, you are either lucky, or were fighting opponents who were too foolish to realize they should have been shooting you first, and lost because of that.
Vanessa Serenity
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#57 - 2013-03-25 22:10:14 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Boosting for mining is a separate balance issue entirely
I would include mining boosts working the same way. Nothing should be hiding behind a reinforceable screen. If you are afraid to lose it then do not use it. Behind a pos force field you are sitting with all aces on your hand. With this mechanic the orca could lock up hulks to keep boosts up.

Nikk Narrel wrote:
Regarding your experience with your Damnation: They had odd priorities not to shoot you, unless you were boosting such a small group your boosting was not considered the biggest threat to your opponents somehow.
Considering your evaluation comment that they never scratched the paint, I take it you never lost a fight while flying that ship.
In which case, you are either lucky, or were fighting opponents who were too foolish to realize they should have been shooting you first, and lost because of that.
It was a very short explanation on how often my command ship sees the front line of battle.
The two times I was on grid included one fight where the opponents were more prone to shoot the bhaalgorns ending up with them running away and one long roam where we did not come upon anyone willing to take a fight.

All ships contributing to a fleet should have to actively partake in some way and not sit in their safehouse browsing youtube while contributing to the fight on such a large scale as boosters does.
Sandslinger
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#58 - 2013-03-25 22:48:06 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Vanessa Serenity wrote:

I salute your interest in playing the game. I detest mechanics that dumb down our interaction.

I am seeing two points from what you said.

Not being behind POS shields is the most important detail I see in all of this, especially for combat oriented roles.
(Boosting for mining is a separate balance issue entirely)
If a pilot takes his booster and hides somewhere, he also loses any chance to contribute any direct DPS.
For ships not fitted for front line duty, this is significant.

They were not silly failing to shoot the damnation at all.. The damnation would be getting reps of logistics. They have the most EHP on the field primarying them is the same as dooming your gang to spending half the fight failing to kill one ship..

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#59 - 2013-03-26 13:42:45 UTC
Vanessa Serenity wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Boosting for mining is a separate balance issue entirely
I would include mining boosts working the same way. Nothing should be hiding behind a reinforceable screen. If you are afraid to lose it then do not use it. Behind a pos force field you are sitting with all aces on your hand. With this mechanic the orca could lock up hulks to keep boosts up.

The Orca is not the top booster for mining purposes, the Rorqual is.

This is a ship that needs to basically go into siege mode to get the bonus to it's boosting, and compressing functions.

While almost anything is possible in the game, it is commonly considered to not be practical to field a Rorqual for use outside POS shields. You either own the system and these are already present anyways, or if the system is too contested for a POS and not safe enough for the Rorqual for the same reasons.
There seems to be no balance point where an alliance has the resources to field a defense and doesn't already have safe use systems making such a defense obsolete.

By forcing the Rorqual into open space, you either need to reconfigure how it works to be more self reliant for defense, or relegate it to use exclusively for the upper tier alliances with massive SOV holdings.

The overall game balance as it stands currently has rejected defense fleets beyond gate camps. The PvP pilots simply are not standing post over their PvE brethren, they are off looking for fights.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#60 - 2013-03-26 13:47:35 UTC
Sandslinger wrote:
They were not silly failing to shoot the damnation at all.. The damnation would be getting reps of logistics. They have the most EHP on the field primarying them is the same as dooming your gang to spending half the fight failing to kill one ship..

Actually, considering the fight descriptions posted after, it sounds like the opponents were outclassed tactically, if not overall, and never stood a chance.

Good FC'ing on those to whoever was leading, Vanessa. One of the top rules of warfare is pick your fights, and this was well executed apparently.