These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Probably the best change local idea I've ever read.

Author
Lin Gerie
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2013-03-25 00:11:17 UTC
This was posted on reddit by reddit user Doycet from the site http://random-average.com (http://random-average.com/index.php/2013/03/life-in-eve-local-is-fine-and-heres-how-to-fix-it/)
I am posting it here because I personally as well as others on reddit seem to greatly think this is a good idea and he has yet to share it here himself.

TL;DR

Wouldn't it be cool if, in known space, you stayed off the Local member list if you could manage to bypass the stargate when you entered the system? As soon as you use a gate (or talk in Local), you show up, but until then...

Not quite how it works now. Neither is it the way it works in wormholes. Pretty much the same for 90% of all pilots, but provides a really neat way to work around the current system, in-character.

This is NOT the same bullshit "make it like Wormholes"/"No, leave it alone" thing -- this is (IMO) a cool way to tie Local into the tech within the lore of the game in a way that would introduce some funky new gameplay options.

Long version:
There have been great fiery debates about whether or not Local’s member list should remain immediate (like it is now) or delayed (the way it works in Wormholes and some private channels, where no one knows you’re there unless you say something).

Which led to this conversation today:

“Man,” Em said. “I really wish we didn’t have automatic local out in the war zone. It’s so lame to have that much intel at your fingertips. It’d be so cool to see guys on directional scan in a complex and have NO idea of they were friendly or hostile — no Local list to compare it to and say ‘Well, I see three ships, and there are only two hostiles here and three friendlies, so it’s probably friendlies.’”

“Sure,” I replied. “Though it would suck for us as well if they changed it.”

“We’d cope,” Em said. “Hell, we already deal with that every day up in the wormhole.”

“Definitely, but that’s the wormhole. Things should work differently up there. I mean…” I pondered. “We’re in low security space, but it’s still Empire space, you know? The infrastructure is kind of messed up, but it’s still functional.”

“Empire?” Em replied. “Why would the Amarr or Minmatar or… hell, anybody provide intel about their own troop movements to anyone and everyone who can see the Local member list?”

“Well… they wouldn’t,” I said. “But I don’t think it’s really up to them — that’s just part of the deal with the technology. I don’t think they control it.” I shrugged. “Maybe CONCORD controls it.” I frowned. “Actually, I think it’s tied to the stargates somehow — like they’re relays or something — which is why the member list breaks out by star system, and why there’s other channels like one just for the local constellation of systems you’re in, and why it works the same way in High sec and Low sec and Null sec — all the same stargate technology.” Finally, I added, “That’d be why it doesn’t work that way in wormhole space — no stargates.”

There was a pause in the conversation. I turned back to the ship fitting I’d been assembling.

“You know what would be cool?” Em said, voice almost dreamy.

“I –”

“What would be cool,” he continued, “is if Local didn’t add you to the member list until you either used the channel… or used a Gate.”

I stopped, turning that idea over, then offered my analysis. “Huh.”

“I mean…” it didn’t even seem as though he heard me. “If it’s all attached to the stargate tech, and you didn’t use a stargate to get there, then…” He shook his head. “MAN that would be cool.”

“Wormholes,” I said, picking up on the idea. “You could — I mean, when you dropped out of a wormhole into a system in known space…”

“No one would know you were there,” Em completed the thought. “It’d make all those ****** class two systems with exits to Null sec SO much more fun.”

“It’d be like having a black-ops drop capability for people who can’t fly black-ops ships yet.” I blinked. “Actually…”

“… black-ops jump bridges bypass gates.” Em finished.

“Regular Titan bridges too,” I said. “I mean –”

“– you’d see the beacon go up, but–”

“– you wouldn’t know who came in, or how many, without more recon. You’d just know a jump bridge happened.”

We were quiet for a while.

“Wow,” I said.

“Not like wormholes,” Em said, “still it’s own thing, and for most people flying around, it’s basically like nothing really changed, because as soon as you use a gate to jump into system, you’re loaded into Local, but… better than it is now.”

“Yeah,” I agreed. I shook my head, blinking. “You know what?”

“You’re going to write about it.” Em sounded amused.

“We need to tell people about this,” I replied. “This is a good idea.”
Pan Dora
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#2 - 2013-03-25 00:51:05 UTC

just the same nerf local idea without reasoning or proposal of better active intel gathering tools (yes, directional scanner in its current form suck, it works but suck anyway)

-CCP would boost ECM so it also block the ability of buthurt posting.

Lin Gerie
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2013-03-25 01:14:57 UTC
Only slightly though and in a way that generally makes sense. Does it really nerf local that much? It would require a little more activity and change up the warfare in null as it would require more scouting.

If you want to buff D-scan you need a reason for it, and this would give reason to do just that. But without an idea to change local to give CCP incentive to do so it will never happen because right now D-scan isn't broken.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#4 - 2013-03-25 01:34:36 UTC
We are defining the loopholes in the gate tech, on the concept they are responsible for local's intel properties.

So, since local doesn't report people not logged in, and logging in does not necessarily involve gates, people who are logging in would not be displayed either?

If someone gated into a system normally, only to be bridged or jump to another system, do they continue to be listed in that last system they entered by gate?
Lin Gerie
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2013-03-25 01:47:33 UTC
That is a good point. However we can be under the assumption that these people were in system due to a gate in most cases and a large portion of those logging in are appearing in station which would also (I assume) be applied to local as well. As for the small cases where they didnt come from a gate before logging off and are not in a station either
A: CCP finds a way to make them not show up in local when they log on or (depending on if it can be seriously abused or not)
B: They represent such a small population that CCP makes them attach to local on logging in anyways.

Logging in and out is technically the only mechanism that can not really be figured out in lore or reality of the actual game (ships just disappearing from space along with the pilot for undetermined amounts of time?) so attaching logging out/in to showing up or not in local is a little redundant.

Personally I think they should just show up in local regardless of using a gate if you log out and later back into the system.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#6 - 2013-03-25 14:23:34 UTC
Lin Gerie wrote:
That is a good point. However we can be under the assumption that these people were in system due to a gate in most cases and a large portion of those logging in are appearing in station which would also (I assume) be applied to local as well. As for the small cases where they didnt come from a gate before logging off and are not in a station either
A: CCP finds a way to make them not show up in local when they log on or (depending on if it can be seriously abused or not)
B: They represent such a small population that CCP makes them attach to local on logging in anyways.

Logging in and out is technically the only mechanism that can not really be figured out in lore or reality of the actual game (ships just disappearing from space along with the pilot for undetermined amounts of time?) so attaching logging out/in to showing up or not in local is a little redundant.

Personally I think they should just show up in local regardless of using a gate if you log out and later back into the system.

You run into a consistency issue if you give people a free pass to not appear in local, and have it expire when they log out.

You basically tell them don't use the no local pass unless they can remain online.

Now, on another note: Let's say you have sov in a null system. You have a station in a null system too.
People logging into that station that are members of the sov alliance are unlikely to want to be displayed in local for hostiles to observe.

I would suggest perhaps a private version of local, where non alliance had no access beyond fully delayed.
Your rules for being visible applied otherwise.
Morgan North
Dark-Rising
Wrecking Machine.
#7 - 2013-03-25 14:30:34 UTC
Sadly, I have to disagree here.

although being tied to gates is a great idea, the reality is that you also use other communications, other than local, which are most likely relayed via the universe, as you can be in a wormhole and still access your corp chatter with people outside the wormhole.

+1 for idea, -1 for the fact that you still need to communicate via the local communications array (so you'd still be flagged as being in local)
Velicitia
XS Tech
#8 - 2013-03-25 14:46:34 UTC
This is a surprisingly decent idea. The login/logout thing needs a little consideration (personally, I'm not opposed to "don't log in in station, don't show up").

nullsec might do to have the "private local" no matter where they are --> i.e. the sov holders "control" the gates insofar as they're not reporting their movements. This only applies to the sov-holding alliance members, so coalition members (or other blues) will always show up when hitting a gate.

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#9 - 2013-03-25 16:05:15 UTC
Velicitia wrote:
nullsec might do to have the "private local" no matter where they are --> i.e. the sov holders "control" the gates insofar as they're not reporting their movements. This only applies to the sov-holding alliance members, so coalition members (or other blues) will always show up when hitting a gate.

This is logical.

Even with IM services, and social networking, it is considered practical to limit who can see your messages or posts, and also who can be aware you are online and available to chat.

If you are going to milk a chat channel for intel, you should keep the chat channel rules that make sense too.
Felix Judge
Regnum Ludorum
#10 - 2013-03-25 16:13:03 UTC
As it heavily discriminates in favor of advanced pilots who have access to the techniques to avoid stargates, I am against it.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#11 - 2013-03-25 16:19:10 UTC
Felix Judge wrote:
As it heavily discriminates in favor of advanced pilots who have access to the techniques to avoid stargates, I am against it.

Not trying to sound rude, but if your skills are not up to standards in place, it might be a good time to improve.

Please ask if you need to know something, rather than dumb down what others worked for. I think we all want more clever and skilled pilots doing more clever and skilled things.

Not less.
Velicitia
XS Tech
#12 - 2013-03-25 16:56:25 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Velicitia wrote:

This is logical.

Even with IM services, and social networking, it is considered practical to limit who can see your messages or posts, and also who can be aware you are online and available to chat.

If you are going to milk a chat channel for intel, you should keep the chat channel rules that make sense too.

I think we're coming at it from two different angles ...

What I meant was that if alliance A owns some space, _ONLY_ members of alliance A get the "benefits" of "current local". Coalition members, other blues, etc do not ... and cannot be granted those benefits.

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#13 - 2013-03-25 17:02:33 UTC
Velicitia wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Velicitia wrote:

This is logical.

I think we're coming at it from two different angles ...

What I meant was that if alliance A owns some space, _ONLY_ members of alliance A get the "benefits" of "current local". Coalition members, other blues, etc do not ... and cannot be granted those benefits.

No, same exact angle, I was simply expressing it as friend groups on a chat channel instead of the terms alliance or corp.

Whether these choices are optional or mandatory is a side issue. They can simply add to the alliance to dictate a choice on that level.
And yes, this defines some arbitrary limits, which is what we need to promote competition.
Bugsy VanHalen
Society of lost Souls
#14 - 2013-03-25 19:13:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Bugsy VanHalen
I really like this idea. Although I believe it needs to be fleshed out a little more to really integrate with the lore, and limit its use.

I would say logging in be treated the same as coming in through a gate. We don't want players logging out and back in all the time to remove them selves from local. If you got a cloaky spy in system, if they came in through a wormhole or jump bridge they do not show in local. But once they log out and back in they are in local. The same with stations/outposts. if you are docked you are known to the system. you are shown in local.

As far as players in a sov alliance in there own sov space opting out of local I do not agree. While it is true you own the space and the station and would not want to give invaders free intel, you do not own the stargate. If players could build stargates then maybe, but the stargate was already there, installed by CONCORD? or who ever. It is tied to the interstellar beacons that control local chat. I would say stations and outposts would also be connected to the beacons as a requirement of anchoring them. They show on the overview they must be connected to the system beacon.

So who would this leave as being able to not show in local?

Anyone coming into system through a wormhole or Covert ops cyno such as a black ops ship or anyone using a black ops bridge. I would say at a minimum these ships would be exempt from local until they perform an action that would inform the beacon of there presence.

There are three other ways of getting into a system without using a stargate. A capital ship jumping to a cyno, A ship traveling through a Titan bridge, or a ship traveling through a jump bridge at a POS.

The question is, do these also qualify for delayed local? What would work with the lore?

I would say any ship entering through a means of connecting to a normal cyno would show in local. When a normal cyno is lit it shows on everyone's overview. The "system" knows it is there. How does the beacon/system know it is there? I would say when the cyno is lit it connects to the local beacon to determine its exact coordinates for the broadcast transmissions. Covert ops cynos use newer technology which does not require a connection to the local beacon to operate. This is why a regular cyno shows up in the system overview and a covert ops cyno does not. This would also explain why cynos can not be used in W-space as there is no beacon to connect to. Although this could open up the possibility of using covert ops Cyno's in W-Space. No caps but black ops would work if the systems were close enough together.

If a normal cyno was not considered to be connected to the system beacon than any ship entering that way would not show in local. meaning all capital ships, and all ships using a Titan bridge. It could be seen as a good thing to have the presence of capital pilots not advertised in local. This could be up for debate, but I believe it would be too overpowered. This would give alliances with Titan support a huge advantage.

Then there is the Jump bridge POS module. This is much like a stargate but is controlled by the alliance,and requires sov upgrades to be used. Do Ships using this benefit from delayed local? I would say this could be justified thru lore either way. POSes do not show on the overview, so are they connected to the system beacon or not? It could be argued that anything that requires anchoring requires a connection the the system beacon. But then how are POSes anchored in W-space? Perhaps that is why it requires the ihub upgrade. This could generate the needed system beacon connection the jump bridge needs. Although this could be justified thru lore the other way that a sov alliance controlled jump bridge does not give that free intel to all players in local space like a station or stargate does, i believe the amount of traffic many jump bridges see would make this OP.

So even if this delayed local was limited to ships entering through wormholes and covert ops cynos it does open up a lot of possibilities. true black ops with no warning, sneak attacks, unknown spys, and I am sure many other ways this could be used. In some ways it would make space more dangerous. Covert ops would truly be secret ops, you would not know they are there until they strike. I think this is how it should be.

Perhaps to balance it out it could be combined with a method of detecting and scanning down cloaked ships. Scanning is being revamped in the Odyssey expansion, and I expect to see this issue addressed as many players have asked for a way to find cloaked ships. Balancing this with the ability for covert ops and black ops ships to not appear in local would be a great addition. it would address the issues of AFK cloakers, and increase the effectiveness of stealth ops at the same time. You never know 100% if someone is watching you. But if you believe there is you will have the means to hunt them down.

I am not trying to highjack this idea, but looking at it with an open mind I see many benefits and possible problems. But I truly believe this would be a positive improvement and would love to see it in game. feel free to flame my ideas, but being able to justify it through lore could help with getting CCP to consider it. Including all methods of entering a system other than stargates it would be OP and far to many would challenge it for it to get implemented. But restricting it to covert ops cynos and wormholes I really think it could work and has a good chance of making it into the game. if it works well it could always be expanded on later.
Bugsy VanHalen
Society of lost Souls
#15 - 2013-03-25 19:31:05 UTC
Morgan North wrote:
Sadly, I have to disagree here.

although being tied to gates is a great idea, the reality is that you also use other communications, other than local, which are most likely relayed via the universe, as you can be in a wormhole and still access your corp chatter with people outside the wormhole.

+1 for idea, -1 for the fact that you still need to communicate via the local communications array (so you'd still be flagged as being in local)

a reasonable thought. So chating in any channel would alert the beacon of your presence. But in W-space you do not show in local unless you chat in local. But If it is such an issue it could be set up that any transmission would alert the system beacon to your presence. in W-space there is no system beacon so no showing in local unless you chat in local.

This also raises the question of how did interbus install customs offices at planets in W-space?? If there is no system beacon, no stargates, why is there customs offices? W-space planets should not have customs offices unless players put up there own.
Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#16 - 2013-03-25 20:02:56 UTC
Lin Gerie wrote:
This was posted on reddit

Stopped reading right there.

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?