These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Warfare & Tactics

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Do NPCS use capacitors?

Author
Egravant Alduin
Ascendance Rising
Ascendance..
#1 - 2013-03-23 09:28:03 UTC
Don't know if it's the correct section to ask this but anyway I was wondering NPCS use capacitor or they have passive tanking since yesterday I had one fight in level 4 mission and couldn't bypass easily the shield regeneration.If I use cap drainer would I harm them or not?

Feel the wrath of the GECKO!

Ayame Tao
#2 - 2013-03-23 09:37:49 UTC
Was it Rachen Misuna by any chance?

This NPC has a huge shield boost defence - getting closer (use an afterburner) and applying more damage more quickly helps.

Otherwise, I believe that NPCs have unlimited CAP - neutralizers and vampires don't work on them.

If you're struggling with that Vengeance mission (there aren't really any other NPCs with as high defences) get close and stick everything you can on him - drones, missiles, a small gun you squeezed in to that extra slot - all of it.

If he's still not going down, you'll need to train up some skills a bit more for your weapons systems.
Egravant Alduin
Ascendance Rising
Ascendance..
#3 - 2013-03-23 09:41:03 UTC
Yup he was !I won him but took me 30 mins-40 mins to finish the mission and a lot of ammo.So no drainers useful for PVE.I see.

Alticus C Bear
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2013-03-23 10:15:00 UTC
Energy vampire modules do work on NPC's and work well as they have unlimited cap.

I also seem to remember that neuts affect the boost/rep chance even though the cap is unlimited but I cannot find my reference got that so it could be rubbish.
Syrias Bizniz
some random local shitlords
#5 - 2013-03-23 13:18:41 UTC
You can use Nosferatus on NPCs, and it will help your capacitor. However, their capacitor is NOT unlimited like Alticus stated. For example, a Medium NOS will have almost no effect anymore if you use it on a frig more than 1 cycle. Trust me, i tested it, it cost me a Curse. Not the sole reason for the loss, but it had a huge impact that i, too, assumed that if i nos a frig closeby, i will always have the capgain of my NOS and thus will have a stable tank.

Rumors is that Neut will have an impact on the probability of armor / shieldreps occuring. Neither can i deny, nor can i confirm this. I used a Sacrilege with a Medium Neut and shot Serpentis rats for a couple of hours in total. I could not clearly see the impact of the neut, due to the setup that i could break the tank anyways with varying number of volleys due to randomness of repps triggered, both with and without neut.

To test this and determine whether or not it works, you have to find a NPC with a good tank, set your ship up to not-break-that-tank-but-be-very-close, and have a neut fitted. shoot it 2 hours without neut, then turn it on. Does it die? If so, neuts affect tank of npcs. Hf, gl, i have better stuff to do ;)
RavenPaine
RaVeN Alliance
#6 - 2013-03-23 15:23:52 UTC
You can warp scramble them
You can ECM jam them
You can cap them out

Note:
Some rats drop cap boosters and cap batteries. I wonder if those rats ever use them?
Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#7 - 2013-03-23 16:30:30 UTC
they have no capacitor, ammo or even fitting limitations.

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

Lugia3
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2013-03-23 18:12:48 UTC
RavenPaine wrote:
You can warp scramble them
You can ECM jam them
You can cap them out

Note:
Some rats drop cap boosters and cap batteries. I wonder if those rats ever use them?

Rats can't be pointed, even by an infinipoint Hictor. They will warp out if they want to.

"CCP Dolan is full of shit." - CCP Bettik

Gizznitt Malikite
Agony Unleashed
Agony Empire
#9 - 2013-03-23 19:33:09 UTC

ECM, Webs, and Paints are the primary tools used to mess with NPCs.

I've never seen cap warfare used very effectively on NPC's.
Egravant Alduin
Ascendance Rising
Ascendance..
#10 - 2013-03-23 21:40:08 UTC
Guys I tried medium meta level 4 nosferatu in a mission and when my capacitor was stable at 43% then it was recharging fast.So probably they work ?

asteroidjas
Rothschild's Sewage and Septic Sucking Services
The Possum Lodge
#11 - 2013-03-23 22:12:55 UTC
Bienator II wrote:
they have no capacitor, ammo or even fitting limitations.

This is my experience.

However, i have yet to have any issue using NPC frigates as batteries in my missions. I almost constantly have a medium/large nos on my active tank mission boats, and have yet to notice the frigates ever run out of cap.

On that note, if it was possible to have a Raven with 9 Turrets, two Torps (that can go 100k), AND Defender Missile, i would likely only fly that ship...ever...
Auduin Samson
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2013-03-24 19:46:21 UTC
I've never seen rats cap out, but I often use NPC battleships as cap batteries when ratting, and it works quite well. The "Rats can't be pointed" statement is questionable though. I always have a disrupter fitted to keep high bounty and faction spawns from getting away. I've lost shiny rats without one, but never with. Just my experience.
GreenSeed
#13 - 2013-03-24 23:33:44 UTC
they have a "dummy" cap, i think it has something like 2 units of cap and they go 1/2 if they are active. that's why vamps work so well on rats.
Muad 'dib
State War Academy
Caldari State
#14 - 2013-03-25 11:29:12 UTC
NPCs used to have unlimited, endless nos-able cap

CCP didnt think that it was fair having a domi leach all the cap it needs for an insane tank and such so they gave NPCs a certain amount of cap relative to the ships size, but no more than a few cycles worth on each. I dont remember hearing ccp change it from this.

Cosmic signature detected. . . . http://i.imgur.com/Z7NfIS6.jpg I got 99 likes, and this post aint one.

Meditril
Hoplite Brigade
Ushra'Khan
#15 - 2013-03-25 14:06:22 UTC
Neutralizers seem to have an effect on NPC, they semm to repair / shield boost slower when you use neutralizers on them.