These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Technology Lab

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

New autopilot ETA calculator / route planner

First post
Author
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#41 - 2013-01-01 15:07:06 UTC
Lady Spank wrote:
Nice concept but does it not also need to factor in warp speed and align time?

EDIT: uh, spoke too soon, but....

To do so would also need to factor in in-system distances between gates. Is this information available without manually recording them?

I think it's an API dump. I've got the old Freighter trip timing spreadsheet, which has all the distances for all the systems (and I really hope nobody did that manually).

@OP Very shiny tool. If you had a skill/implant/freighter type set of dropdowns, I'd probably use it over my spreadsheet on the rare occasion I care how long a trip will take.

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Nexus Day
Lustrevik Trade and Travel Bureau
#42 - 2013-01-01 16:57:32 UTC
Nice tool! It even calculated exactly when I would get blown up while on auto-pilot!
ihcn
Life. Universe. Everything.
Clockwork Pineapple
#43 - 2013-01-01 21:29:44 UTC
RubyPorto wrote:
Lady Spank wrote:
Nice concept but does it not also need to factor in warp speed and align time?

EDIT: uh, spoke too soon, but....

To do so would also need to factor in in-system distances between gates. Is this information available without manually recording them?

I think it's an API dump. I've got the old Freighter trip timing spreadsheet, which has all the distances for all the systems (and I really hope nobody did that manually).

@OP Very shiny tool. If you had a skill/implant/freighter type set of dropdowns, I'd probably use it over my spreadsheet on the rare occasion I care how long a trip will take.

Yeah this was mentioned a few pages back, keeping track of ships and skills and fittings and implants adds complexity to the application that i don't want to deal with
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#44 - 2013-01-01 22:10:34 UTC
ihcn wrote:

Yeah this was mentioned a few pages back, keeping track of ships and skills and fittings and implants adds complexity to the application that i don't want to deal with

I saw that, which is why I suggested you only do it for Freighters and JFs (where it's most useful).

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

ihcn
Clockwork Pineapple
#45 - 2013-01-02 01:14:53 UTC
I'll consider it. But the ui is complicated as it is at the moment.
Tarvos Telesto
Blood Fanatics
#46 - 2013-01-02 01:32:23 UTC
Cool, thank you, i spread this source betwen my friends who stay away form forum, again great job.

EvE isn't game, its style of living.

ihcn
Clockwork Pineapple
#47 - 2013-01-02 01:37:09 UTC
Tarvos Telesto wrote:
Cool, thank you, i spread this source betwen my friends who stay away form forum, again great job.

Thanks! The more people that hear about it the better.
ihcn
Clockwork Pineapple
#48 - 2013-01-13 06:31:48 UTC
This appears on google now! When you type in "eve online autopilot eta calculator" this thread is the top result, and my calculator page appears on the first page of results.
ihcn
Clockwork Pineapple
#49 - 2013-02-04 20:46:59 UTC
I'm getting about 100 unique visitors a week now. good stuff.
Selena Lianar
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#50 - 2013-02-07 05:15:05 UTC
I saw mention earlier in the thread of this. but mainly for courier contracts. Is there a way to set multiple destinations and have it calculate the shortest distance between multiple locations? The next week I am planning on taking my freighter around and collecting some of my loose modules around highsec and the chore of trying to calculate it all each trip at a time seems like it will take me all week to figure out, lol.
Fearghaz Tiwas
Perkone
Caldari State
#51 - 2013-02-07 10:39:09 UTC
Selena Lianar wrote:
I saw mention earlier in the thread of this. but mainly for courier contracts. Is there a way to set multiple destinations and have it calculate the shortest distance between multiple locations? The next week I am planning on taking my freighter around and collecting some of my loose modules around highsec and the chore of trying to calculate it all each trip at a time seems like it will take me all week to figure out, lol.

Yeah something like this would be great. I don't do a lot of hauling stuff, but It'd certainly help when I decide to do the clean up my assets run
ihcn
Clockwork Pineapple
#52 - 2013-02-07 16:50:46 UTC
1. It's absolutely not possible to find the shortest route to stop at multiple stations within a reasonable amount of time. This is why your eve client gives you a warning if you try to "optimize" a path that contains more than 10-12 waypoints. It's not some screwup by CCP, it's a famous problem for computation in general. I can give you a good guess though.

The reason it's ok to even attempt to find an optimal path in the eve client, but not in a web page, is that the eve client runs on your own computer, so it's ok if you eat up the CPU resources, while the same is not ok for a web server.

2. If you're fine with getting a non-optimal route, it's still a challenge to create a UI for this that isn't confusing.

That being said, I would like to create something for this.
Liu Ellens
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#53 - 2013-02-08 06:09:05 UTC
Like ihcn described it, the travelling salesman problem is a known one to take longer and longer the more points have to be considered.

ihcn, how about we try to combine our forces? My upro (see sig) has the TSP implemented with a genetic algorithm, finishing in seconds for more than 10 waypoints with a close-to-optimal result, but lacks the time calculation that your implementation has.

Well, they oughta know what to do with them hogs out there for shure.

Fredfredbug4
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#54 - 2013-02-09 06:53:47 UTC
This is a great tool that I can imagine almost everyone who plays EVE finding useful. In my use so far I find that the times are very accurate and it tends to chart routes that work the best.

Watch_ Fred Fred Frederation_ and stop [u]cryptozoologist[/u]! Fight against the brutal genocide of fictional creatures across New Eden! Is that a metaphor? Probably not, but the fru-fru- people will sure love it!

ihcn
Clockwork Pineapple
#55 - 2013-02-10 05:37:31 UTC
I was thinking about this today and I have an idea for a system that's easy to use for the waypoint optimization thing. It won't be able to handle courier contracts, as that requires you to specify that you need to hit one station before another, which would add a huge amount of complexity. So for now you'll just give a list of stations/systems/regions and it'll re-order them to create a semi-optimal route for you.

I cant promise when it'll be in but hopefully soon.
ihcn
Clockwork Pineapple
#56 - 2013-02-18 03:23:41 UTC
I'm happy to announce that the waypoint feature is now available.

On the main page, under "destination" you will see a new radio button that says "waypoints" - if you click the "manage waypoints" link you will be taken to a new page where you can add several waypoints, and drag+drop to re-order them. Then click the save button at the bottom and you'll be taken back to the search page. Choose your origin, then click the waypoint radio button and it will use the waypoints you set up on the other page to display a route that travels through all your waypoints.

It does not yet attempt to re-order the waypoints to produce a faster travel time, although that is planned shortly. hopefully the ability to manually re-order them will help on the meantime.
Lady Spank
Get Out Nasty Face
#57 - 2013-03-20 06:04:36 UTC
Great progress! I've been inactive for about 5 months but I see this is coming on nicely so have a friendly bump.

(ಠ_ృ) ~ It Takes a Million Years to Become Diamonds So Lets Just Burn Like Coal Until the Sky's Black ~ (ಠ_ృ)

ihcn
Clockwork Pineapple
#58 - 2013-03-23 19:40:16 UTC
I changed it so that you always set a destination, and renamed "waypoints" to "midpoints". This will be relevant when trying to optimize the waypoints. It always bugs me that i can't have a final destination that doesn't get optimized when optimizing waypoints inside the eve client.

I also gave it a small graphical update, hopefully the input area looks a little nicer now.
ISD Tyrozan
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#59 - 2013-03-23 20:45:19 UTC
This thread has been moved to the EVE Technology Lab forum.

ISD Tyrozan

Captain

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

@ISDTyrozan | @ISD_CCL

Ann Tarloir
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#60 - 2013-03-24 19:16:58 UTC
Is there anywhere ingame where you can see your align time, or do you need to work it out yourself?