These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Warfare & Tactics

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Should plex timers and LP rewards be reduced?

Author
Kaivar Lancer
Doomheim
#1 - 2013-03-22 16:40:08 UTC
When I'm waiting for the plex timer to run out, I'm not really playing a game at all. Often I'll have my browser open on my second monitor watching Youtube or something. Every once in awhile I'll spam d-scan, esp. when there's a pirate or enemy militia on local, but otherwise I'm not interacting with the client whatsoever.

The problem is that the plex timer is too long. 10-20 minutes doing nothing is not playing a game. Probably the only joy I get from plexing is griefing pirates and enemy militia whenever I cloak or warp out.

If we reduce both plex timers and LP rewards in half, then there's more chance for PVPers to catch plex runners while they are in transit between plexes. And for plex runners, it actually becomes more of a "game" as they are required to hop around systems more often, dodge gate camps + PVPers, plan routes etc.
Sura Sadiva
Entropic Tactical Crew
#2 - 2013-03-22 16:54:52 UTC
Kaivar Lancer wrote:

The problem is that the plex timer is too long. 10-20 minutes doing nothing is not playing a game. Probably the only joy I get from plexing is griefing pirates and enemy militia whenever I cloak or warp out.

I know is boring, but but see that time as time spent searching for an engagment, warping around is not much more fun. In this way people know where to "meet" (so to speak...). And it works fine for this.

Reducing the timer (and reward) means also reducing the chance to have a plex interrupted/countered.
And I don't think orbiting 10 minutes buttons x 2 is much more fun than orbiting one for 20 minutes.

chatgris
Quantum Cats Syndicate
#3 - 2013-03-22 18:13:30 UTC
Kaivar Lancer wrote:
If we reduce both plex timers and LP rewards in half, then there's more chance for PVPers to catch plex runners while they are in transit between plexes. And for plex runners, it actually becomes more of a "game" as they are required to hop around systems more often, dodge gate camps + PVPers, plan routes etc.

NO. All that happens if the plex timers are shorter is that it's easier for farmers to sneak in and grab a plex, making it less likely someone will interrupt them, and decreases the chances that pvp will happen in that plex as there is less time for someone who cares about defending the system to respond.
SeaSaw
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2013-03-22 20:22:27 UTC
Good OP;

Yes, eve is very dull. Get used to reading while you play.
At least you aren't mining in high-sec or worse still, wandering around as a pirate looking at the probe-scan interface.

your humble servent
SeaSaw
Sean Parisi
Blackrise Vanguard
#5 - 2013-03-23 04:03:47 UTC
Kaivar Lancer wrote:
When I'm waiting for the plex timer to run out, I'm not really playing a game at all. Often I'll have my browser open on my second monitor watching Youtube or something. Every once in awhile I'll spam d-scan, esp. when there's a pirate or enemy militia on local, but otherwise I'm not interacting with the client whatsoever.

Essentially you are everything that is currently wrong with FW. Of course nothing interesting is happening - because all you do is run or cloak up. Why even be in faction warfare?

It doesn't even matter for the most part if you are caught, because being as risk adverse as you - there are probably warp core stabilizers on your ship. I'd rather push you out after waiting 20 minutes to cap your plex, then put all my alts in your plex to bring up the timer while I chase you around.
pyronatic
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2013-03-23 09:58:22 UTC
Kaivar Lancer wrote:

GTFO LP farmer.
Bad Messenger
Rehabilitation Clinic
#7 - 2013-03-23 10:24:41 UTC
no one forces you to farm lp
Kaivar Lancer
Doomheim
#8 - 2013-03-23 12:21:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Kaivar Lancer
Sean Parisi wrote:

Essentially you are everything that is currently wrong with FW. Of course nothing interesting is happening - because all you do is run or cloak up. Why even be in faction warfare?

And that, gentlemen, is why I cloak. I started another thread last week about FW PVP as I'm a FW noob. After being repeatedly blown up by T2-fitted AFs vs my meta-fitted T1 frigates, I realise that evading combat versus a superior enemy is winning. Tears confirm this.

I'll stand my ground once I have the SP to fight back. Until such time, though, I will deny the enemy a kill and help myself to some lovely LP.
Super Chair
Project Cerberus
Templis CALSF
#9 - 2013-03-23 14:31:08 UTC
Kaivar Lancer wrote:
Sean Parisi wrote:

And that, gentlemen, is why I cloak. I started another thread last week about FW PVP as I'm a FW noob. After being repeatedly blown up by T2-fitted AFs vs my meta-fitted T1 frigates, I realise that evading combat versus a superior enemy is winning. Tears confirm this.

I'll stand my ground once I have the SP to fight back. Until such time, though, I will deny the enemy a kill and help myself to some lovely LP.

The best ship is friendship. Even if you cannot have someone around to help you plex 24/7 having someone to guide you at becoming better at pvp is the way to go. You can get a pretty decent t2 fit frig fairly quickly (within a couple weeks), it's just the knowledge and trial and error from there on. Other players can help you with this.
X Gallentius
Black Eagle1
#10 - 2013-03-24 02:07:57 UTC
Super Chair wrote:
The best ship is friendship.

It used to be the Drake.
Iggys
Kurupt.
Sedition.
#11 - 2013-03-24 02:21:39 UTC
X Gallentius wrote:
Super Chair wrote:

It used to be the Drake.

The atron comes in close at second.
Iggys
Kurupt.
Sedition.
#12 - 2013-03-24 02:38:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Iggys
This is my atron. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
Without me my atron is useless. Without my atron, I am useless.
I must fly my atron true. I must fly straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me.
I must kill him before he kills me. I will.
My atron and I know what counts in space is not the antimatter we fire, the noise of our burst, or the smoke we make.
We know that it is the killboards that count. We will kill.

-The DerpAtron Creed
Deacon Abox
Black Eagle5
#13 - 2013-03-24 15:12:16 UTC
Iggys wrote:
This is my atron. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
Without me my atron is useless. Without my atron, I am useless.
I must fly my atron true. I must fly straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me.
I must kill him before he kills me. I will.
My atron and I know what counts in space is not the antimatter we fire, the noise of our burst, or the smoke we make.
We know that it is the killboards that count. We will kill.

-The DerpAtron Creed

Of course all military scholars agree that any recitation of the DerpAtron Creed should finish with the DerpAtron Salute. A good example of which appears at around 1:26 in this clip of the distant ancestor to it, the Vindaloovian Empire Salute.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSZbzIHGj8U

CCP, there are off buttons for ship explosions, missile effects, turret effects, etc. "Immersion" does not seem to be harmed by those. So, [u]please[/u] give us a persisting off button for the jump gate and autoscan visuals.

Iggys
Kurupt.
Sedition.
#14 - 2013-03-25 02:09:20 UTC
I can't watch YouTube because the Chinese government is ********.
:sadface:
IbanezLaney
The Church of Awesome
#15 - 2013-03-25 02:13:26 UTC
Super Chair wrote:

I'm starting to worry about you.
IbanezLaney
The Church of Awesome
#16 - 2013-03-25 02:57:57 UTC
Iggys wrote:
my atron is useless.
-The DerpAtron Creed

^^
You said it - not me.
Iggys
Kurupt.
Sedition.
#17 - 2013-03-25 07:51:39 UTC
Since when did the squids start using portions of quotes to get a point across? IbanezLaney.... Pfft more like Bill O'Reilly
IbanezLaney
The Church of Awesome
#18 - 2013-03-25 13:08:38 UTC  |  Edited by: IbanezLaney
Iggys wrote:
Since when did the squids start using portions of quotes to get a point across? IbanezLaney.... Pfft more like Bill O'Reilly

Since when didn't both sides do it?
Cynthia Nezmor
Nezmor's Golden Griffins
#19 - 2013-04-06 10:29:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Cynthia Nezmor
Kaivar Lancer wrote:

It's your decision. To plex in an empty system. To fly stabbed farmer ships to burn out the defenders. It's my decision. To waste time "fixing sec status", "farming killmails/isk", "posting on forums" - instead of chasing and fighting you. But it becomes your decision again for NOT taking the fights, for running away and coming back with more ships to "gank" my frigate. It's a sandbox, it's what we make out of it. And most players just want to farm killmails in the most boring ways possible - until they run out of money, then they farm ISK.

- Hey, do you want to join my fleet?
- What's your objective?
- We are all fighting in FW plexes, everyone in different systems, looking for fun fights, or at least make some ISK. We just need a fleet so if the enemy shows up with multiple ships we can take all fights.
- Lol noob.

- Hey, do you want to join my fleet?
- What's your objective?
- We are spinning ships in a well known "staging system" to make sure the enemy knows our force the moment we undock. Then we jump from gate to gate like rats in a maze looking for super boring fights wiith at least 90% chance of a victory. We have multiple logi pilots already.
- GIVE ME TS ADDRESS NOW
*doesn't care that most likely his fleet will get trapped and killed by even bigger fleet*

This used to be like this: I log in, I am docked in Asghed. No matter if Amarr or Minmatar has the system at the moment, I have access to my hangar. I undock and see who is here in which plex. Now if the opponent is in top 0.1% of minmatar militia (meaning its not bait, he really is here to fight) then I go and try to fight. I lose my ship, I try again. I lose again, oh well, this time I almost won. 3rd round I win, opponent docks in the same station as me, I repair my ship, he gets another thinking he will counter my ship and we fight again. Sometimes it was 5 rounds in the exact same plex, all 5 good fun fights. And now it's you in your cloaky ship complaining about plexing becoming boring, and me with my 6 cloaky ships being hellbent on outplexing you no matter how many ******** nullbear farmers make a gallente/minmatar alt.
Zappity
New Eden Tank Testing Services
#20 - 2013-04-07 10:39:28 UTC
Kaivar Lancer wrote:
Sean Parisi wrote:

Um, try novice plexes if you only want to fight T1 frigates? As for SP, I only have 3m SP and usually get a kill or two every time I log in. Not a good excuse in the FW context.

Zappity's Adventures for a taste of lowsec and nullsec.

12Next page