These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Best Weapon

Author
Newbie Ned
Real Nice And Laidback Corporation
#1 - 2013-03-22 21:42:29 UTC
OK there is clearly no best weapon in Eve but given this scenario what would you suggest:

PvP
Targets are frig to cruiser sized
Varying ranges but inside 25km
Targets won't be moving very fast (lets say max 400 m/s)
Ship is non bonussed
Want max dps
Gun size (and fitting reqs) don't matter
Assume all skills equal
Assume limited slots for mods such as tracking enhancers etc.

Medium ACs?
Some missile things (don't like them)?

Thanks for all constructive input
Zircon Dasher
#2 - 2013-03-22 21:57:33 UTC
100 of your closest friends....

Because EvE is a MMO.

If it doesnt involve at least 100 friends your doing it wrong

Nerfing High-sec is never the answer. It is the question. The answer is 'YES'.

Gizznitt Malikite
Agony Unleashed
Agony Empire
#3 - 2013-03-22 22:19:20 UTC
Newbie Ned wrote:
OK there is clearly no best weapon in Eve but given this scenario what would you suggest:

PvP
Ship is non bonussed
Want max dps
Assume all skills equal

Medium ACs?
Some missile things (don't like them)?

Thanks for all constructive input

Your thread doesn't make a lot of sense...

Blasters give the best dps in the game... bigger guns give better range and better raw dps. But they also have a harder time hitting smaller targets moving fast...

You can control range and/or transversal, you can do a lot more damage with Nuetron blasters than 425 autocannons...
You also need to balance tank vs dps... like how many are there, etc, etc, etc...
sabre906
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2013-03-22 22:42:45 UTC
ACs - the "default" weapon ppl put on hulls without weapon bonus.

Winmatards Win.Big smile
Rynnik
Evasion Gaming
The Ancients.
#5 - 2013-03-22 23:48:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Rynnik
Newbie Ned wrote:

PvP
Ship is non bonussed
Want max dps
Assume all skills equal

That is a very strange list of requirements. Especially the caveat of the ship being unbonused - a LOT of the power of weapon systems in this game comes from synergy between the weapon and the bonuses of the hull they are on.

That said, respecting your entire list, the answer is definitely drones, in my opinion. They are okay unbonused, easily bring their full dps and can handle frig to cruiser depending on the specific flight you launch, and have decent upgrade modules for all three types of slots.
Kasutra
No Vacancies
No Vacancies.
#6 - 2013-03-22 23:55:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Kasutra
Whatever you don't have the skills for, obviously. Those ships are friggin' OP.
Kalel Nimrott
Caldari Provisions
#7 - 2013-03-23 00:29:09 UTC
Up to 25?
Talos. I died in those a lot...

Bob Artis, you will be missed.

O7

Hakaimono
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2013-03-23 00:49:08 UTC
DD
Klymer
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#9 - 2013-03-23 01:33:12 UTC
Tracking Disruptor says Hi!
Newbie Ned
#10 - 2013-03-23 21:32:32 UTC
OK - the usual mix of responses! I realise the scenario is odd but it is what it is.

Bringing friends doesn't work in this scenario, drones are valid but still leaves empty high slots, and DD I should have excluded but thought most people would get that!

So blasters OK in close but for the targets out between 10 and 25 k not so great. Med AC best suggestion so far?

Medium sized weapons probably best?

No missile advocates?
chris elliot
Seal Club Six
Plug N Play
#11 - 2013-03-24 23:13:54 UTC
Are you trying to find a use for that Gnosis thing and doing it in a terrible, roundabout, fashion?

Every ship has at least one bonus to something. You may like minmatar guns but putting them on, say a caldari hull does not help you much.

You need to decide what hull class you want to fly. That will help whittle things down. From there decide what you are trying to kill, that will help also. Then decide how much you want to spend. Those three will usually give you an answer.
Newbie Ned
#12 - 2013-03-25 12:32:46 UTC
I'm trying to fit a BS to go up against the kinds of solo / 2-player ships that cruise around 0.0. My idea is to fit undersized weapons (which therefore won't be bonussed) but which may do more effective damage against the small to mid size hulls plus allows you to fit whatever you want for everything else as the PG reqs are so low.

Essentially uber dps isn't that important, getting people to fight you and keeping them on the field are the 2 main requirements, but more dps is always good!

This isn't a cookie-cutter fit - very niche.
Valleria Darkmoon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#13 - 2013-03-25 13:04:14 UTC
Newbie Ned wrote:
I'm trying to fit a BS to go up against the kinds of solo / 2-player ships that cruise around 0.0. My idea is to fit undersized weapons (which therefore won't be bonussed) but which may do more effective damage against the small to mid size hulls plus allows you to fit whatever you want for everything else as the PG reqs are so low.

Essentially uber dps isn't that important, getting people to fight you and keeping them on the field are the 2 main requirements, but more dps is always good!

Keep the large guns and use an armor Tempest.

Two utility highs for neuts (possibly a smartbomb to kill ECM drones), plenty of mids for cap boosting, webbing etc. and you can easily fit enough tank still to survive the type of encounter you're describing. A cruiser going 400m/s will be mulch against large ACs, a frig going 400m/s while neuted out will quickly drop to your drones/guns, as long as you make some effort to keep the transversal low.

The trick will be making it look like you don't want a fight, two cruisers will need some convincing to go after a Tempest whether you fit medium guns or not. You might apply a higher percentage of your damage with medium guns but they still have a long way to go to catch the raw firepower of the large bonused guns (and I mean a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNGGGG way). Being different for the sake of it is just strange, being willing to solo at all will make you strange enough as is.

Reality has an almost infinite capacity to resist oversimplification.

Naomi Knight
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#14 - 2013-03-25 13:15:02 UTC
did i heared you want to know what is the best?
i dont know but im sure it must be minmatar related , those ships are rly hard to use , i always congrat to those pros who use the well balanced matar ships
RavenPaine
RaVeN Alliance
#15 - 2013-03-25 15:05:08 UTC
Valleria Darkmoon wrote:
Newbie Ned wrote:

Keep the large guns and use an armor Tempest.

Two utility highs for neuts (possibly a smartbomb to kill ECM drones), plenty of mids for cap boosting, webbing etc. and you can easily fit enough tank still to survive the type of encounter you're describing. A cruiser going 400m/s will be mulch against large ACs, a frig going 400m/s while neuted out will quickly drop to your drones/guns, as long as you make some effort to keep the transversal low.

The trick will be making it look like you don't want a fight, two cruisers will need some convincing to go after a Tempest whether you fit medium guns or not. You might apply a higher percentage of your damage with medium guns but they still have a long way to go to catch the raw firepower of the large bonused guns (and I mean a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNGGGG way). Being different for the sake of it is just strange, being willing to solo at all will make you strange enough as is.

Tempest was my first thought as well, for what you are wanting.
Use neuts in the hi's. Smartbomb may actually kill your own drones. (Though I typically use 1 of each)
I like MWD, and try and get them to 'trail' you, string them out behind you.

I like Pulse weapons/Scorch also, but the Geddon doesn't have enough mid-slots to do everything a solo BS needs.

Platinum Insurance Cool
Onyx Asablot
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2013-03-25 16:03:11 UTC
30-40 friends with a few logi can never go wrong mate!

America!

Newbie Ned
#17 - 2013-03-25 16:42:36 UTC
Thanks for the inputs.

Onyx - whilst I agree with you, the bad guys tend to be reluctant to engage in that scenario for some reason!