These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Wife Aggro Revisited (100 mil isk in game contest)

Author
Random McNally
Stay Frosty.
A Band Apart.
#81 - 2013-03-22 11:25:58 UTC
Well, this begs the question...

Is there a point where the Aggro/Waggro becomes justified? Personally, there was a time where I would sit down to EVE and blow off reality for HOURS. After that much time, does wife aggro become "justified"?

Host of High Drag Podcast. http://highdrag.wordpress.com/

Space music http://minddivided.com

I G Channel HighDragChat

Broadcast4Reps

Graygor
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#82 - 2013-03-22 11:52:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Graygor
Well, on the subject of that I do have a story but its a tad long.

It's back from when I used to play WoW (yes I know), and in my mates guild there was a really nice guy who played with his wife and his young lad. Anyway we were all noobs together, we met while leveling around the mid 20s or 30s I forget and we started leveling together. We managed to get him on vent and his mrs followed shortly after and we had a good time chatting to them. He worked from home and ran his own business so he had oodles of free time to do as he wishes and the wife was fine with that. On vent it was always a "back in a mo, loading dish washer" "back in a tick, helping the wife take in the washing" etc etc.

This all changed around the time we hit 60. My friends guild was just social, we did the odd 5 man instance (this was back in vanilla wow in 06) and BGs together but nothing serious. Most of us were university students or in their teens. After a while he started to push for us to do raiding, and get some good gear. We tried, and failed terribly. So he decided to leave and join one of the better guilds on the server. His mrs and lad stayed in our guild as she liked the community and his boy was about... 7 or 8 at the time I dont remember and he just enjoyed doing what we told him.

Pretty soon he caught the raiding bug, and as it happened the guild he joined also used our vent as well. Then the problems started, it was always "can't, boss fight" / "can't, got to do x y z" and the mrs would confide to us about it as they played in separate rooms.

Soon after his wife became more and more inactive, and in my friends list I barely ever saw a time when my mate would log off. On the times the wife would log, she would say in guild chat how he wasnt doing his work now, and customers were getting angry etc or deadlines coming up. Long story short on that, he lost some big contract he was doing and had to pay the penalty clause which was something like 35 grand and the mrs went mental on him. She had a kind of RL intervention for his raiding addiction (This was just when they'd added Naxx 1.0 before TBC) and told him it was her and the lad or WoW.

He actually chose WoW. The mrs moved out and quit shortly after. I know he sold his house and took his 50% and was living on that and basically giving his life to raiding. I dont know the end of the story as I quit shortly after I 70'd in TBC and decided WoW had lost its fun with arenas and so forth and the death of world pvp which is what I enjoyed most.

Not a happy tale, but a good warning I think.

"I think you should buy a new Mayan calendar. Mine has muscle cars on it." - Kenneth O'Hara

"I dont think that can happen, you can see Gray has his invuln field on in his portrait." - Commissar "Cake" Kate

Random McNally
Stay Frosty.
A Band Apart.
#83 - 2013-03-22 11:55:22 UTC
That is just truely sad....

I G Channel HighDragChat

Broadcast4Reps

Graygor
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#84 - 2013-03-22 12:04:16 UTC
Aye.

Shame too, they were a lovely couple. But I think deep down he had a highly addictive personality and WoW's press button, receive bacon nature appealed to him.

I always took it as a warning. But the thing is, could this happen in EvE? I mean.... I know the old MC raids would last 8-10+ hours. Is there anything comparable in EVE? I'm not sure how long pvp roams and so on are, or fleet fights. But I know how long incursions and plexs etc last and its not a terrible amount of time. I never do logi on my incursion alt so I have sneakily disappeared from my keyboard a few times when the mrs needs a hand and nothing has gone wrong.

Yes, it might have given the others more of a job quickly but family comes before games especially if its something either super important or something that will cause strife.

Now if I do something I tell the mrs in advance. "im going to be doing something for about an hour and a half in eve ok?" And she will give me her nod of approval as in "sure" or "can you help me with the washing in 10?" or something like that, to which I will oblige and get my uninterrupted time barring some kind of disaster.

"I think you should buy a new Mayan calendar. Mine has muscle cars on it." - Kenneth O'Hara

"I dont think that can happen, you can see Gray has his invuln field on in his portrait." - Commissar "Cake" Kate

Random McNally
Stay Frosty.
A Band Apart.
#85 - 2013-03-22 12:16:29 UTC
I take the same approach. Most of my game time is in 1-2 hour blocks near the family's bedtime or after. I'll also do a variable 1ish hour when I get home from work to "decompress".

However, the last RVB FFA was a very long EVE day. I arranged it with the family that I was going to be in game for quite a while and there were times where I had to step away for prepping meals for the kids and such. The wife was at work for most of it and the kids are content to watch over my shoulder and entertain themselves.

That was 15 hours. Start to finish.

I really had trouble logging in after that. Burnt me right out. Marathon game sessions like that are very very few and far between.

I G Channel HighDragChat

Broadcast4Reps

Graygor
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#86 - 2013-03-22 12:22:44 UTC
Aye but thats the inherent beauty of eve. You can take long eve breaks and as long as you're subbed and your queue is set you keep progressing skill wise.

I do that a lot. I'll probably be doing that soonish myself. Got a marathon set of skills to train which always kind of suck my motivation and work is going to be hectic for me.

Random McNally
Stay Frosty.
A Band Apart.
#87 - 2013-03-22 13:01:26 UTC
Agreed!

So, is there a point where aggro begins? How much time do you get "in game" before the "glare" starts?

I G Channel HighDragChat

Broadcast4Reps

Angelique Duchemin
Team Evil
#88 - 2013-03-22 13:11:44 UTC
I used to aggro my ex BF a lot over playing consoles when we had perfectly good computers to play with.

Filthy console peasants...

The very sun of heaven seemed distorted when viewed through the polarising miasma welling out from this sea-soaked perversion, and twisted menace and suspense lurked leeringly in those crazily elusive angles of carven rock where a second glance shewed concavity after the first shewed convexity.

Random McNally
Stay Frosty.
A Band Apart.
#89 - 2013-03-22 13:14:32 UTC
Angelique Duchemin wrote:
I used to aggro my ex BF a lot over playing consoles when we had perfectly good computers to play with.

Filthy console peasants...

Amen!

I G Channel HighDragChat

Broadcast4Reps

silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#90 - 2013-03-22 13:43:42 UTC
Graygor wrote:

I always took it as a warning. But the thing is, could this happen in EvE? I mean.... I know the old MC raids would last 8-10+ hours. Is there anything comparable in EVE? I'm not sure how long pvp roams and so on are, or fleet fights.

Fleet fights can last hours - many, many hours. And if you're managing base logistics or participating in sales warfare, well, you can burn a LOT of hours, every day.

Frankly, Guild Wars was me at my worst, but even in EVE there are times and events where I have to block out six or ten hours at a go - I'm a corp director, and that sometimes means you've just got to spend the time. With three other people wanting the computer, well...

So, in sheer self-preservation (which means, among other things, preserving my relationships), I try to advance-warn everyone and schedule the large time blocks well in advance. We'll negotiate computer access - "You can have it from here until there, but then I get it from such until the other, and then the girl will have it for so long, before rotating it to the boy..." Solves fights, usually. Except when my wife fails to turn-over at her allotted point - She's notorious for that. Which results in three people staring at her, arms crossed and toes tapping, until she logs out.

But usually, the negotiations work. Sometimes peopel will negotiate chores in exchange for extended time: "I'll give you an extra hour of my time if you'll do the dishes."

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc

silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#91 - 2013-03-22 13:56:18 UTC  |  Edited by: silens vesica
Random McNally wrote:
Agreed!

So, is there a point where aggro begins? How much time do you get "in game" before the "glare" starts?
Time isn't the factor, not for us - Unless someone over-extends past their negotiated timeslot. It's 'slighted' that starts aggro - When someone feels they're being disresepcted. And that can be a two-way street. If I've got something going on in-game, and people aren't respecting that I've got something that has my attention, someone had best be bleeding or they've got my ire. As previously noted, I can maintain situational awareness dspite the game - If something's going on, I know about it. If I need to break out of the game, I will do so - But breaking in to the game for something that isn't dire, or time-sensitive, is going to **** me right off. That's my escapism time they're burning.

So - I could have just connected, and if my wife feels she needs my attention Right. Now. and doesn't get it? Commence le Aggro! But she'd better have what I consider a good reason, or she'll get it right back. Fortunately, we're mostly on a level, when it comes to what constitutes 'good reasons.'

Then, there is of course, le amour. And for that, she resorts to unfair tactics; which tactics I do not resent or resist. Blink If that's what she has in mind, well... EVE can go hang; I'll straighten out the mess later.

Edited
Added expanded material to first paragraph.

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Angelique Duchemin
Team Evil
#92 - 2013-03-22 13:57:45 UTC
Fights in Eve tend to be quick but the Call To Arms can last for half a day before you actually get to the fight. Assuming you do get there.

WoW never caused any trouble schedule wise. It was pretty well set when I raided, 19-23 was the raid time and that was it.

The very sun of heaven seemed distorted when viewed through the polarising miasma welling out from this sea-soaked perversion, and twisted menace and suspense lurked leeringly in those crazily elusive angles of carven rock where a second glance shewed concavity after the first shewed convexity.

Random McNally
Stay Frosty.
A Band Apart.
#93 - 2013-03-22 14:16:50 UTC
silens vesica wrote:
Random McNally wrote:
Agreed!

Time isn't the factor, not for us - Unless someone over-extends past their negotiated timeslot. It's 'slighted' that starts aggro - When someone feels they're being disresepcted. And that can be a two-way street. If I've got something going on in-game, and people aren't respecting that I've got something that has my attention, someone had best be bleeding or they've got my ire. As previously noted, I can maintain situational awareness dspite the game - If something's going on, I know about it. If I need to break out of the game, I will do so - But breaking in to the game for something that isn't dire, or time-sensitive, is going to **** me right off. That's my escapism time they're burning.

So - I could have just connected, and if my wife feels she needs my attention Right. Now. and doesn't get it? Commence le Aggro! But she'd better have what I consider a good reason, or she'll get it right back. Fortunately, we're mostly on a level, when it comes to what constitutes 'good reasons.'

Then, there is of course, le amour. And for that, she resorts to unfair tactics; which tactics I do not resent or resist. Blink If that's what she has in mind, well... EVE can go hang; I'll straighten out the mess later.

Edited
Added expanded material to first paragraph.

Le Amour aggro, best aggro!

With 4 people competing for time on the computer, I resorted to purchasing a couple more computers for my household. Wife got a laptop for doing schoolwork, eldest son got a laptop for doing schoolwork and youtubing, BOTH kidlings got a desktop (thats better than mine *sniffle*) for doing their gaming and I alone take command of the dinosaur that could.

To what lengths have you gone to minimize Aggro?

I G Channel HighDragChat

Broadcast4Reps

silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#94 - 2013-03-22 14:37:08 UTC
Random McNally wrote:

Just so. Cool

Quote:
With 4 people competing for time on the computer, I resorted to purchasing a couple more computers for my household. Wife got a laptop for doing schoolwork, eldest son got a laptop for doing schoolwork and youtubing, BOTH kidlings got a desktop (thats better than mine *sniffle*) for doing their gaming and I alone take command of the dinosaur that could.

Finances are kinda tight - and space is even more tight. I keep intending to install a wireless router, and simply haven't gotten that done. I *do* have a second box, but it will need substantial configuration. One of these days, I'll even get it done. P
So, instead, we negotiate. It works. ;)

(plus, it gives me an excuse to kick my son outdoors to go play in the physical world with actual IRL friends - Always a benefit)

Random McNally
Stay Frosty.
A Band Apart.
#95 - 2013-03-22 14:45:17 UTC
As it worked out, the laptops were cheap and not nearly top of the line but adequate for the wife and the eldest son's needs.

The Kids computer was a purchase from overage we had saved for buying a different vehicle. (got a better price so the balance went into the computer). This is by no means top of the line either.

My poor desktop is 5ish years old and has nearly everything upgraded/replaced. However, the gerbils are getting very tired.

Plan is when the wife is done with school (18 months.....Sad), I get a new(er) computer.

I G Channel HighDragChat

Broadcast4Reps

Telegram Sam
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#96 - 2013-03-22 22:01:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Telegram Sam
Ah, the old four computer household. I have one of those. "Dad, I can't print." "Dad, we don't have internet. We've been waiting all day for you to get home." "Dear, I can't get this DVD to play on my laptop." "Sam, this funny blue screen appeared and then my computer just died." And then there are the ipods, smart phones, kindles, and whatever else to keep connected and running in perfect order.

It's probably the same for you guys. They way our dads were always out working on the family car, we're always working on the family tech.
NightCrawler 85
Phoibe Enterprises
#97 - 2013-03-22 23:36:01 UTC
Random McNally wrote:

Is there a point where the Aggro/Waggro becomes justified? Personally, there was a time where I would sit down to EVE and blow off reality for HOURS. After that much time, does wife aggro become "justified"?

I think this depends completely from couple to couple. A while ago i met this couple that were former WOW players (they quit after nearly getting a divorce because of the game), and having played WOW my self i can definatly see how it can get...bad really fast.

In wow there is a lot more group pressure. Be the best, have the best gear, be in the best guild, know the est ways to kill a boss and so on. If you cant do these things your basically left on the sidelines unable to fully experiense everything WOW has to offer (and raiding is a big part of that). Thus you end up spending hours and hours grinding, cant miss those daily quests, have to be there ready in line for any raid even if you dont know if you will be allowed to join and so on.

In EVE there is a lot more freedom and less..group pressure. Ofc you still have CTA's, alliance and corp meetings, drama and so on, but in general people understand that "real life comes first", a rule that seems to not exist in WOW.

But when is the aggro justefied.. I would say when your better half is not playing the game because its fun, but because they feel they have to, and their mental health is getting wrecked because of the pressure (anyone in a leadership position can understand this one), or when EVE becomes more important then doing things you need to do, such as working, paying bills, go and buy some food, and your wish to interact with someone outside of the game disapears completely in favor for online friends (now im considering famely as "someone outside the game").

It would have to be for a longer period of time tho...A week or two i can easely imagion someone getting them selfes lost in a game, but for a month or more..thats when i would consider it becoming a problem and would try to have a conversation with the other person trying to figure out what can be done to prevent things going even more out of hand.
So not really aggro i guess, but certanly a reaction. I think in a situation like that any amount of yelling and screaming wont do any good and only lead to the problem getting worse since it enforces the idea that you need to hide away in "your own little world".
Graygor
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#98 - 2013-03-23 02:21:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Graygor
Random McNally wrote:

Only a two person household here so slightly smaller scale. I have my desktop which is my domain. Prior to this I used my ancient laptop that could run 1 eve client on lowest settings and it was just lucky that I do market trading since thats all it would let me do.

My laptop also served as our media centre, and my mrs is addicted to Ugly Betty and other western dramas / comedies meant she demanded the use of it almost constantly. This was back in early 2010 when I'd just started my current job and all money was going into support for our apartment with furniture etc etc. So a pc wasnt a high priority at the time.

Once work started picking up, (I work at a start up, so it was only 7 of us splitting whatever we made 7 ways at the time, quite literally hand to mouth existence) I started planning my beast of a PC. Since I had some money in my pocket I wanted to build a very nice PC and I did so, buying the parts in increments over several months and I was content and the old laptop went into dedicated media machine.

The Mrs herself still demanded a lot of attention as she didnt have much to do. I was on a full "oh my god ive missed games" binge and buying half of steam it felt like. The solution was to buy her a small netbook for skype to her mum and friends etc, and then for her birthday last year I got her the tablet for her to enjoy her reading and pre marital bliss has ensued mostly.

Now its usually me giving the aggro. In the form of our two glove puppets we have. When the mrs is REALLY focusing on her reading on the sofa there is nothing better than sneaking before the sofa and slowly bringing a cute Punch and Judy crocodile puppet into view. Sometimes shes gotten wise and doesnt react. Other times she is so focused when she sees a cute green crocodile on her peripheral vision she freaks out and it is wonderful!

Rain6636
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#99 - 2013-03-23 02:42:11 UTC
Random McNally wrote:

when your festival launcher ceases to function
Random McNally
Stay Frosty.
A Band Apart.
#100 - 2013-03-23 05:23:08 UTC
Fortunately, the festival launcher is still operational!! Blink

I G Channel HighDragChat

Broadcast4Reps