These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Drake or Cyclone in Missions?

Author
Count of MonteCylon
Anti-Pirate Enforcement
#1 - 2013-03-22 06:36:49 UTC
So the Drake has +50% to kinetic damage while the Cyclone has +25% attack speed, at maximum, the Drake having an extra launcher.

I am wondering what the exact amount of resistance and vulnerability different NPC factions have to certain damage types is? Is it better to use a cyclone and change your ammunition type, or is it better to use a Drake and just try to power through things?

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. -- Ephesians 6:12

Hollis Boirelle
Variables Unlimited
Urukian Collective
#2 - 2013-03-22 06:53:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Hollis Boirelle
There's this which was linked in a recent thread (here).

It has slightly different recommendations in some cases than The ISK Guide (vol. 1 p. 196), but I have no idea which is more accurate under what circumstances.

EDIT: There are more specific numbers for each ship from various factions in this database.
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#3 - 2013-03-22 07:13:06 UTC
For what it is worth, I'm currently using an arty Hurricane for level 3 missions. The Drake works well too, I just wanted a change of pace.
Mike Whiite
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#4 - 2013-03-22 07:25:18 UTC
I'd use both.

Cyclone can easely fit a flight of salavage drones as well, tractor beam with it and you'll be able to salvage a well.

though against Guristas, serpentis, state and federation navy the drake is still better.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#5 - 2013-03-22 08:58:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
http://www.ogrank.com/content/view/698/59 gives you information on what damage types to use against the various NPCs, it also gives you the damage types to tank against.

The Drake damage bonus doesn't add up to a 50% bonus at level 5. It's not a linear bonus, because the bonus is subject to a stacking penalty, which means that you get a diminishing return for every level of the skill trained. I think at BC level 5 it's around a 30ish% increase in kinetic damage over level 1.

There are people far more qualified than myself who can explain how the stacking penalty works, I only understand the basics of it because mathsSad

Bad info ignore my rambling, I haven't had coffee yet and failed to take into account that my Drake pilot has nighs dammit maxed skills, and the damage mods fitted to his ship.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Vilnius Zar
SDC Multi Ten
#6 - 2013-03-22 09:29:40 UTC
Missions are about completion time and the drake is a much more focussed pve ship than the cyclone, more dps from its main weapons is what matters. The Cyclone's 50m3 dronebay doesn't help at all,also rof bonus eats a lot more ammo than a damage bonus. Only situation where cyclone would be as good/better is if kinetic isn't the right damage type, like against Sansha or Bloodraider but otherwise Drake > Cyclone for pve.
Vilnius Zar
SDC Multi Ten
#7 - 2013-03-22 09:32:30 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
http://www.ogrank.com/content/view/698/59 gives you information on what damage types to use against the various NPCs, it also gives you the damage types to tank against.

The Drake damage bonus doesn't add up to a 50% bonus at level 5. It's not a linear bonus, because the bonus is subject to a stacking penalty, which means that you get a diminishing return for every level of the skill trained. I think at BC level 5 it's around a 30ish% increase in kinetic damage over level 1.

There are people far more qualified than myself who can explain how the stacking penalty works, I only understand the basics of it because mathsSad

This is completely untrue, for two reasons.

1) ship/role bonuses are exempted from stacking penalties and always work for 100%
2) as you lvl up the ship skill it doesn't keep multiplying by 1.05 seperately, instead it changes the multiplier itself from 1.05 to 1.10, 1.15 etc.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#8 - 2013-03-22 09:52:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
I stand corrected, I misread the figures as I failed to take into account my characters skills. On a bare hull fitted with just t1 launchers and scourge missiles the ship bonus does indeed add up.

My bad, thanks for the correction Vilnius Zar, I've amended my original post to reflect it.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Marc Callan
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2013-03-22 09:59:43 UTC
Modules are subject to stacking penalty, not ship hull bonuses. And like Vilnius said, the bonus is added to the base stat, so that the Drake's kinetic bonus at Battlecruiser 2 is 20% above base, not 10% above Battlecruiser 1, for example. It's a different method of calculation, and not as pronounced as the actual module stacking penalties.

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegurt

Lost Greybeard
Drunken Yordles
#10 - 2013-03-22 11:30:44 UTC
Generally speaking, Kinetic is going to tend to be a secondary weakness for everything but Amarr racial enemies. So as long as you're not mostly missioning for Amarr (against blood raiders and I guess Sansha) the Drake's bonus is probably going to serve you better.

Albeit, if you're doing Amarr missions versus Amarr enemies, maybe a laser boat is a better plan.
Steve Spooner
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#11 - 2013-03-22 14:36:24 UTC
As most Drake pirates start Caldari and Caldari usually has you shooting Guristas and the Drake is the lord of BC mission ships the cyclone just doesn't have the sit there, lock, press f1, watch some netflix, rinse repeat factor.
Count of MonteCylon
Anti-Pirate Enforcement
#12 - 2013-03-25 01:02:52 UTC
Thanks for the good advice everyone, I currently am running a Cyclone with tractor beams and salvage drones, but think I will buy a Drake soon as well so that I can use both and complete the appropriate missions that much faster Big smile

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. -- Ephesians 6:12