These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

Lack of Poles.

Author
Stan'din
Naval Defence Force
The Rogue Consortium
#1 - 2013-03-19 22:25:46 UTC
No i don't mean the Polish. But rather on the higher and lower latitudes on the temperate planets how come there are no ice caps or snow covered landmasses ?

And before some one gets all PMS over this, no i am not asking for it to be put in. just wondering why CCP left it out in the first place lol.

Your about as much use as a condom dispenser in the Vatican.

Sidrat Flush
Deep Core Mining Inc.
#2 - 2013-03-19 22:31:01 UTC
Everyone knows the Universe is submerged in goop and there are no orbits anyway, hence the lack of polar winter/summer zones on temperate planets.

Its time to stand up against the bad empire based CEO telling falsehoods about what new characters can accomplish and pushing them towards an in game experience of drudgery and loneliness keeping them in the shadow of ignorance for at nest their own profit at worse apathy towards all the experiences that Eve has to offer.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#3 - 2013-03-19 22:31:31 UTC
Give it a few years and we wont have any eitherBlink
Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#4 - 2013-03-19 22:39:12 UTC
No weather extremes in a fluid submarine based universe.

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Sentamon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#5 - 2013-03-19 23:11:20 UTC
Stan'din wrote:
No i don't mean the Polish. But rather on the higher and lower latitudes on the temperate planets how come there are no ice caps or snow covered landmasses ?

And before some one gets all PMS over this, no i am not asking for it to be put in. just wondering why CCP left it out in the first place lol.

Probably something to do with time and money.

~ Professional Forum Alt  ~

Obvious Cyno
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2013-03-19 23:13:43 UTC
The planets don't orbit the sun either.
Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#7 - 2013-03-19 23:19:15 UTC
There's a lack of stripper poles and Gallente Pleasure Hubs too.

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#8 - 2013-03-19 23:24:44 UTC
Doc Fury wrote:
There's a lack of stripper poles and Gallente Pleasure Hubs too.

Heath and safety.
DarthNefarius
Minmatar Heavy Industries
#9 - 2013-03-19 23:32:09 UTC
Stan'din wrote:
No i don't mean the Polish.

Cry

But I wanted to tell some more call the Polish Police meh Titan is missing jokes Blink
An' then Chicken@little.com, he come scramblin outta the    Terminal room screaming "The system's crashing! The system's    crashing!" -Uncle RAMus, 'Tales for Cyberpsychotic Children'
Jack Miton
Perkone
Caldari State
#10 - 2013-03-20 01:02:07 UTC
Global warming bro. EVE is set in the future.

There is no Bob.

Stuck In Here With Me:  http://sihwm.blogspot.com.au/

Down the Pipe:  http://feeds.feedburner.com/CloakyScout

Cat Troll
Incorruptibles
#11 - 2013-03-20 01:04:04 UTC
Here ya go:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a8/Delhi_Charter_Township_Holt_Michigan_Pole_Banner_2.jpg

Lolwut: "Yes, you kids don't know how lucky you have it. These days noobs get given free tackle ships for PvP but back in the old days the only tackle ships we were given were our pods. We had to use them to bump their rookie ships out of alignment to stop them warping off."

electrostatus
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2013-03-20 01:43:33 UTC
Jack Miton wrote:
Global warming bro. EVE is set in the future.

I think you mean Galactic warming. Probably all them space ships flying around warming the space. Or maybe its the heat death of the universe, which clearly means death by heat.

Asteroid Timer: Know exactly when that roid depletes! PI Profit Calculator: calculates your profits and taxes of any PI product depending on how you built them!

Micheal Dietrich
Kings Gambit Black
#13 - 2013-03-20 02:02:38 UTC
And here I thought this was going to be a WIS thread.

Out of Pod is getting In the Pod - Join in game channel **IG OOPE **

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#14 - 2013-03-20 02:17:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Krixtal Icefluxor
Accidental posting. Wow, and sorry.

EDIT: But I'll post something anyway (lol).

The only Temperate planet we have any experience of is our own. I don't think it has been quite proven that frozen poles are a requirement. Anyone have referenced theoretical data one way or another?

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#15 - 2013-03-20 02:51:01 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:

The only Temperate planet we have any experience of is our own. I don't think it has been quite proven that frozen poles are a requirement. Anyone have referenced theoretical data one way or another?

Err, what?

Mars has polar ice caps and we've discovered ice on Mercury's poles. I can't really think of a reason why poles on other planets with shallow/no tilts and relatively thin atmospheres (or no atmosphere at all) would not have substantially cooler temperatures at the poles than at the equator.

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#16 - 2013-03-20 02:53:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Krixtal Icefluxor
Andski wrote:
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:

Err, what?

Mars has polar ice caps and we've discovered ice on Mercury's poles. I can't really think of a reason why poles on other planets with shallow/no tilts and relatively thin atmospheres (or no atmosphere at all) would not have substantially cooler temperatures at the poles than at the equator.

Agreed. Just wondering if there was any theoretical musings though on there not being frozen poles and how that could happen.

EDIT: Lack of tilt maybe ?

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#17 - 2013-03-20 03:03:08 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Agreed. Just wondering if there was any theoretical musings though on there not being frozen poles and how that could happen.

EDIT: Lack of tilt maybe ?

Mercury has no tilt and its poles are cold enough for water to stay permanently frozen. Venus, however, has such a thick atmosphere that the poles and the equator have the same average temperatures.

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Djana Libra
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#18 - 2013-03-20 07:35:27 UTC
theres's plenty of poles, there's a lack of strippers tho.
maybe some devs could put on a mini skirt n start working the poles.
Jacob Holland
Weyland-Vulcan Industries
#19 - 2013-03-20 08:24:42 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Give it a few years and we wont have any eitherBlink

And although it's an unusual thing for humanity (as throughout our evolution our world has always been in an ice age (where there is ice at either pole)) it's apparently the default position for the planet. For most of Earth's history the poles have been ice free.
Zimmy Zeta
Perkone
Caldari State
#20 - 2013-03-20 08:31:47 UTC
If you had watched Star Wars you should know that all celestial bodies, be they planets or moons, only have one single climate. There are desert planets ( Tatooine), ice planets (Hoth), swamp planets (Dagobah), jungle moons (Endor) etc.
Multiple climates on a single planet? What madness is this?

I'd like to apologize for the poor quality of the post above and sincerely hope you didn't waste your time reading it. Yes, I do feel bad about it.

123Next page