These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Bounties on new players

Author
Valerian STA
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2013-03-15 11:04:53 UTC
Hi

Still at my trial period, and I got a bounty on me without no reason, no stealing, nothing.

Is this a form of trying to make new players to pay them to retire the bounty? an extortion?
Since I obviously don't pay, what are my options? bloody options, in preference Smile

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Spondoo Lix
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2013-03-15 11:18:43 UTC
Just ignore it.

It doesn't allow anyone the right to kill you. But if somehow, someone does kill you, they get 20% of the value of your ship.

People give out bounties all the time. Don't worry about it. You're not suddenly on a hunted list or anything.
Merouk Baas
#3 - 2013-03-15 11:21:18 UTC
They can't retract the bounty; the only way it can disappear is if you get killed and lose 5x its amount in ships or implants.

A bounty also does not negate the high-sec protections you have, such as they are; Concord will still kill the attackers if they shoot you unprovoked.

So just ignore it.

Your character cannot be pristine, anyway. If you try, you'll never undock and will get bored with the game. You should participate in PVP, lose/gain sec status, change your NPC standings via Fleet Warfare, etc.
J'Poll
MUSE LLP
RAZOR Alliance
#4 - 2013-03-15 11:25:23 UTC
Spondoo Lix wrote:
Just ignore it.

It doesn't allow anyone the right to kill you. But if somehow, someone does kill you, they get 20% of the value of your ship.

People give out bounties all the time. Don't worry about it. You're not suddenly on a hunted list or anything.

This.

Bounties dont mean that you become a legal target.
And with a small bounty and small ships you will not become a target too.

Bounties pay out 20% of the loss value. So if you ship is worth 10mil (which already is a lot for a newb) it pays out 2mil (or the emaining bounty if its less).

Option: Shrug it off. Bounties dont mean much in the game other then a bit of payment for the killer when he kills you.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Keno Skir
#5 - 2013-03-15 11:36:02 UTC
Ignore it, it's meaningless until it reaches 10 digits.
Valerian STA
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2013-03-15 11:46:02 UTC
Keno Skir wrote:
Ignore it, it's meaningless until it reaches 10 digits.

Yeah... what I thought, I can't even consider it a medal Smile

Thank you all for your time and info provided. Loving the game.

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Katran Luftschreck
Royal Ammatar Engineering Corps
#7 - 2013-03-15 20:36:50 UTC
It is the gray area of griefing new players, and like all such things in that category it is enforced with the vigor & enthusiasm of a vice cop in Las Vegas assigned to jaywalking duty.

http://youtu.be/t0q2F8NsYQ0

Cyprus Black
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#8 - 2013-03-16 00:33:14 UTC
It was probably me who did it.

And you're welcome.

Summary of EvEs last four expansions: http://imgur.com/ZL5SM33

Knorkor
Ministry of Silly Walk
#9 - 2013-03-16 01:07:32 UTC
Katran Luftschreck wrote:
It is the gray area of griefing new players, and like all such things in that category it is enforced with the vigor & enthusiasm of a vice cop in Las Vegas assigned to jaywalking duty.

Griefing? Aww, come on.
Nobody can do anything to him without getting concorded in highsec.
I give players 100k bounties too and for me and many others it is more like a "Welcome in Eve Brother" than mal intent.
Lost Greybeard
Drunken Yordles
#10 - 2013-03-16 06:04:44 UTC
Katran Luftschreck wrote:

Yeah, something that doesn't cause someone to die, doesn't interfere with any of their activities, and that they likely won't even notice until a friend pulls up their info.

That's some hard-core griefing there.

See y'all, off to grief new players by spamming the rookie channel with genuine advice responding to questions and griefing some starting cash into their wallets. Because that's apparently where the bar is now.
Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#11 - 2013-03-16 11:21:26 UTC
I have a bounty of close to 100m on me. It doesnt lead to anyone attacking me thatwould not otherwise.

What it does mean is that anyone looking to ransom an expensive ship of mine (if I get caught) can and will ask for a little more ISK. So I need to be a little more careful hunting trouble in an Ishtar thanI otherwise would be.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Oraac Ensor
#12 - 2013-03-16 15:42:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Oraac Ensor
Lost Greybeard wrote:
Yeah, something that doesn't cause someone to die, doesn't interfere with any of their activities, and that they likely won't even notice until a friend pulls up their info.

Only if they've turned off their mailbox blink and/or never open it.
J'Poll
MUSE LLP
RAZOR Alliance
#13 - 2013-03-16 16:16:13 UTC
Oraac Ensor wrote:
Lost Greybeard wrote:

Only if they've turned off their mailbox blink and/or never open it.

This.

By default you will have blinks = on on your notifications - specially newbro's cause they don't know yet how to turn it off.

If someone puts a bounty the victim is notified.

So they WILL know you put a bounty on them.

Grey, please, give correct info on the NCQA

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club