These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Logistics question.

Author
Lucian Engstrom
EVE University
Ivy League
#1 - 2013-03-10 02:41:18 UTC
Fairly new to Eve, only a few weeks in. I think I would like to go Logistics for a profession. Before I invest anymore time on my current character, I am wanting to know if Gallente would be a good race for this or If i would be better off making a new character with a race that fits this role more?
Lucian Engstrom
EVE University
Ivy League
#2 - 2013-03-10 03:21:22 UTC
Nevermind someone in game helped me out and I guess I'm going to train to amarr logistics ships now.
Kahega Amielden
Rifterlings
#3 - 2013-03-10 03:25:12 UTC
Lucian Engstrom wrote:
Nevermind someone in game helped me out and I guess I'm going to train to amarr logistics ships now.

Just because someone has played the game more than you doesn't mean they know, at all, what the hell they're talking about.

Gallente logi ships are great.
J'Poll
MUSE LLP
RAZOR Alliance
#4 - 2013-03-10 04:06:15 UTC
Lucian Engstrom wrote:

That's the dumbest idea to do...don't blindly follow 1 guys direction. His way of playing doesn't have to be the correct way.

What ever logistics ships you want / need to fly heavily depends on who you fly with.

If you trained for the Amarr version and you join a group of people who do fast moving shield fleet, they require the Minmatar version.

So to be a "Good" logistics pilot, you likely want to have multiple races, if not all trained. So you can jump into which ever logistics ship they ask for.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Lucian Engstrom
EVE University
Ivy League
#5 - 2013-03-10 04:07:28 UTC
They said gallente ships are good but If i want to get in a corp as logi amarr has better remote repair and energy abilites which bigger fleets need more than tracking. If amarr isn't good which Gallente ships are good for trying to get in a corp as logi?
Lucian Engstrom
EVE University
Ivy League
#6 - 2013-03-10 04:09:48 UTC
J'Poll wrote:
Lucian Engstrom wrote:

That's the dumbest idea to do...don't blindly follow 1 guys direction. His way of playing doesn't have to be the correct way.

What ever logistics ships you want / need to fly heavily depends on who you fly with.

If you trained for the Amarr version and you join a group of people who do fast moving shield fleet, they require the Minmatar version.

So to be a "Good" logistics pilot, you likely want to have multiple races, if not all trained. So you can jump into which ever logistics ship they ask for.

Thanks I'll work on slowly trying to get skills for each faction so I can swap when needed.
Zanzbar
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2013-03-10 05:13:35 UTC
the idea behind gallente logi isnt so much the tracking links, its the fact that the ship layout lends itself better to a single logi cruiser fleet. guardians are great but they are best used in pairs and rely heavily on chaining cap between each other to run at full capacity
Kahega Amielden
Rifterlings
#8 - 2013-03-10 05:30:02 UTC
Quote:
They said gallente ships are good but If i want to get in a corp as logi amarr has better remote repair and energy abilites which bigger fleets need more than tracking. If amarr isn't good which Gallente ships are good for trying to get in a corp as logi?

The person you were talking to has absolutely no idea what the hell he's talking about .

The primary difference between Gallente and Amarr logi is that Amarr logi has great difficulty with cap. So, Amarr logistics ships (including t1 variants) need to have at least one capacitor transfer. Groups of these ships setup "Cap chains" . The upside of this is that they can supply cap if your fleet needs it. The downside to this is that if the cap chain gets shut down for any reason (ECM, etc) then they cap out. Gallente logi, on the other hand, does not have to deal with this since they can generally fit cap boosters a bit easier.

I think the main reason people don't like Gallente logi is that they require using rep drones. Because people are killmail whores, they prefer to be able to use offensive drones to whore onto KMs.
Lost Greybeard
Drunken Yordles
#9 - 2013-03-10 09:01:54 UTC
Gallente logistics are good for small fleet and squad-level PvP operations, such as clashing in low-sec.

Amarr logistics are generally better for large-scale (read: sovereignty 0.0 only, essentially) fleets and PvE operations, such as incursions.

Either is fine, and nobody's going to turn you down in an ad-hoc armor fleet because you have one and not the other. If you have a group that requests the other than what you've trained, just stick five ranks in the other race's core cruiser skill, that's, what, a couple weeks? All the other skills pretty much apply to both (or, rather, the ones that don't don't really have to be trained to V and are trivial time-wise).

For instance, I have Caldari Cruisers V pretty much solely so I have access to shield logistics, and I'm not even a logi pilot. It's a relatively small investment once you've already taken the time to get your logi skill to 4-5.
Disastro
Wrecking Shots
#10 - 2013-03-10 11:37:55 UTC
Lucian Engstrom wrote:
Fairly new to Eve, only a few weeks in. I think I would like to go Logistics for a profession. Before I invest anymore time on my current character, I am wanting to know if Gallente would be a good race for this or If i would be better off making a new character with a race that fits this role more?

For many years in this game folks avoided using the gallente logistics ship (oneiros) for pvp in fleet combat. This is no longer the case. Many alliances that use armor hacs prefer the oneiros now over the amarr logi (guardian) because of the need to cap transfer on the guardian. Changes to the game in the last year or so have made the oneiros far more useful than it had been for various reasons.

The far more popular variety of logi ship in this game is the Scimitar. The oneiros and guardian are both close behind for fleets that fly armor. For a true logistics guy you would probably want to fly both the scimmy and oneiros or guardian. Of course, this depends greatly on what your corp/alliance fleet doctrines normally are using for fleets. Folks who fly armor are going to want armor logi and folks who fly shield are going to want scimmy pilots.
Andres Talas
Brave Newbies Inc.
Brave Collective
#11 - 2013-03-10 13:35:39 UTC
Lucian Engstrom wrote:

OK, see the guy above me ? Black Legion. are very good at PvP, and their core "heavy" armour fleet composition is based around the Oneiros, the T2 Gallente logistics.

Another very good PvP group, Verge of Collapse, core their heavy armour fleet around the Guardian, the T2 Ammar logistics.

My Alliance officially prefers the Guardian. My Coalition officially prefers the Oneiros.

But you know what every damn one of those groups prefers ... more Logistics pilots.

T1 logi are about 70% as good as T2 logi - fair bit squishier, bit shorter range, but capable of throwing out exceedingly useful reps.

Personally, I'd advise you to get skills for both T1 armour logi (Gallente vs Ammarr is a wash) and T1 shield logi (generally shield fleets are based around speed, so go for the faster Minimatar).
Salpad
Carebears with Attitude
#12 - 2013-03-13 19:26:11 UTC
Lucian Engstrom wrote:

This! Is! EVE!

You're never "better off" starting over as a difference race. Any race can train up to fly any other race's ships, with no hindrances whatsoever. The Gallenteans are a bunch of feeble, silly, frog-eating communist pansies, but some of them do harden the **** up, eventually, and start training for Caldari ships.
Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#13 - 2013-03-14 01:39:44 UTC
Lucian Engstrom wrote:

You can probably fly an Exqueror now (and importantly you can probably afford to lose one). Ask around in recruitment channels for people that would like to take on a t1 logi pilot that is inexperienced.

If you are usually the only logi, stay with the Gallente logi ships - flying mostly Exquerors, but taking out an Oneiros when the fight calls for risking the better ship. If you are flying with other logis, crosstrain Amarr Cruiser 5 in time and you'll be at home in a Guardian.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Cyprus Black
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#14 - 2013-03-15 21:05:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Cyprus Black
There are four playable races and each have their own T1 cruiser logistics ships that serve different roles.

The Amarr Augoror and the Caldari Osprey are T1 logistic cruisers that are meant to work in tandem with other Augorors and Ospreys. One is armor rep and one is shield rep. They both have what's called a Cap Chain where one logi pilot cap reps another logi pilot, who in turn cap reps another logi pilot, and it goes around in a loop. The advantage of this is that you can fit a decent tank on the Augoror and the Osprey while at the same time be completely cap stable.

The Gallente Exequror and the Minmatar Scythe are T1 logistic cruisers that seem to be meant to work as solo reppers. If you're in a small fleet that doesn't have any logi pilots, then flying one of these may be a decent option. Keep in mind they are not cap stable and you may have to sacrifice precious low and mid slots for cap modules to make it cap stable. In every fleet I've been in, they've disallowed the use of these two ships in favor of the Augoror and/or the Osprey.

In my personal opinion the Augoror and the Osprey are far superior to the Exequror and Scythe if there are more than one logistics pilot in the fleet. With just two Augorors or Ospreys, they can cap rep each other to be fully cap stable.

However if you're in a fleet that doesn't have any logistics, then you may work better flying an Exequror or a Scythe. Just keep in mind that you may get primaried

Summary of EvEs last four expansions: http://imgur.com/ZL5SM33

Lost Greybeard
Drunken Yordles
#15 - 2013-03-16 06:32:51 UTC
Salpad wrote:
The Gallenteans are a bunch of feeble, silly, frog-eating communist pansies, but some of them do harden the **** up, eventually, and start training for Caldari ships.

I was like "yeah, OK" until I got to the end and saw that your alternative suggestion was the race who until the last major update only had one PVP ship, period, and that was an accident.